Just a heads up about the state of BRD

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Just a heads up about the state of BRD

Unread post by bannination »

We're currently and have been under attack from China for the past several days.

I don't expect anything to change, but just figured I'd post this to raise awareness. I'd been working in the background to improve the performance issues that I was personally seeing like slow page loads, etc. I think we're fine, but if they change we'll adapt.

Thanks

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Just a heads up about the state of BRD

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:39 pm
We're currently and have been under attack from China for the past several days.

I don't expect anything to change, but just figured I'd post this to raise awareness. I'd been working in the background to improve the performance issues that I was personally seeing like slow page loads, etc. I think we're fine, but if they change we'll adapt.

Thanks
CPF and LNF, eat your geopolitical hearts out :twisted: Only BRD has captured China's attention and only bannination is kicking CCP ass!
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

We're #1!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:57 pm
We're #1!
We used to be "A First Rate Forum", but must have lost that status.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
We're #1!
Hey, WTF ?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:49 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
We're #1!
Hey, WTF ?
Fuckin' ChiComs, they're evil. :ateeth:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:39 pm
bannination wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:39 pm

Thanks
CPF and LNF, eat your geopolitical hearts out :twisted: Only BRD has captured China's attention and only bannination is kicking CCP ass!
Yeah sure big deal, I heard that trump monitors the ccp site. That’s china x 10!!!
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

No real updates today, handling about half a million requests per day. Continuing to monitor.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:38 pm
No real updates today, handling about half a million requests per day. Continuing to monitor.
:crazy: DDoS?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:38 pm
That's what you get for pissing off KStupid. :lol:

bannination
Captain

Lunch time update..... they've doubled the attack. Easy million requests today. Made more adjustments to keep things responsive.

Will have to take active measures this evening.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:09 pm
Lunch time update..... they've doubled the attack. Easy million requests today. Made more adjustments to keep things responsive.

A question from the woefully ignorant, is this unusual? What could be the attraction?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:52 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:39 pm
bannination wrote:

A question from the woefully ignorant, is this unusual? What could be the attraction?
I'm also interested in what "active measures" banni has in his arsenal and whether I should be extra careful not to piss him off . . . if he doesn't mind me asking.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

For us, a little bit, we've had it happen from Russia a few times, but nothing this persistent and relatively large (for the size of our site).

Probably no special attraction, bot found us, thinks we could be a good target and hammers away trying to get access to anything it can. It could be just after the ability to create spammy posts, all the way to taking control of the server it turn it into a bot as well.

Errr I mean, because they want to silence our politics! We're sticking it too them! China and Russia hate us because we don't take any shit. --Solar probably.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:52 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

I'm also interested in what "active measures" banni has in his arsenal and whether I should be extra careful not to piss him off . . . if he doesn't mind me asking.
Nothing so sinister. Actions taken so far just involve keeping the site running during the load. Now I'm switching into still allowing them to connect, but they'll get a "blocked message" which is short and sweet, makes no database calls and is VERY fast to serve. I call this a much more active option. I just made the change and it dropped CPU usage by 95%. They could up their game at this point and hit even harder and still take us down. They may try to come at us from different IP's now... may not, the idea is that they just give up because they probably don't even realized they're not even seeing anything except an access denied message.

Next steps would be to block them at the firewall level which would drop the load to nearly 0 and no matter how much they up their game we'll be ok.

I'd have to get pretty pissed off to try and fight back. It looks like it's coming from a alibaba web host that probably has no idea one of their customers is doing this and would hurt them more than whatever moron is doing it.

About a 1000 people have reported that IP as a threat already so we're far from the only site being hit. They're pissing quite a few people off.