Gardening

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Gardening

Unread post by Whack9 »

Any gardeners?

I usually fail, but still try. My garlic never sprouted, so that was a fail. Last year, bugs completely wrecked my greens. The groundhog demolished my cabbage. My spinach was planted way too late and immediately bolted. My onions (short day) probably don't get enough sunlight, so I was left with tiny bulbs. Leeks stayed pretty small, too.

I was successful at growing peppers, green beans, and an assortment of native stuff that I did for fun (hopniss in particular) and herbs. Moderately successfull with carrots. Also a native wildflower garden that grew well, but I'm shit at arranging things so it probably could've looked better.

Nevertheless, it's still fun.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gardening

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 am
Any gardeners?

I usually fail, but still try. My garlic never sprouted, so that was a fail. Last year, bugs completely wrecked my greens. The groundhog demolished my cabbage. My spinach was planted way too late and immediately bolted. My onions (short day) probably don't get enough sunlight, so I was left with tiny bulbs. Leeks stayed pretty small, too.

I was successful at growing peppers, green beans, and an assortment of native stuff that I did for fun (hopniss in particular) and herbs. Moderately successful with carrots. Also a native wildflower garden that grew well, but I'm shit at arranging things so it probably could've looked better.

I'm not entirely sure you're gardening, sounds more like a wildlife feeding program :P

Marigolds rimming the garden supposedly repel bugs. Not that many bugs in Montana, so -0-?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Wait what you live in Montana?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:52 am
I'm in a condo now, no garden. I did garden in Montana many years ago, though.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Lady O used to garden, and I'm pretty sure she could plant a shovel handle and grow a tree. Me, not so much. But she says the keys are sufficient sunshine, right amount of water, and good soil. It also helps to select plants that like the environment you've got.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:04 am
Whack9 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:52 am
I'm in a condo now, no garden. I did garden in Montana many years ago, though.
Ohhhh gotcha.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:12 am
Whack9 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 am
Any gardeners?

I was successful at growing peppers, green beans, and an assortment of native stuff that I did for fun (hopniss in particular) and herbs. Moderately successful with carrots. Also a native wildflower garden that grew well, but I'm shit at arranging things so it probably could've looked better.

I'm not entirely sure you're gardening, sounds more like a wildlife feeding program :P

Marigolds rimming the garden supposedly repel bugs. Not that many bugs in Montana, so -0-?
They do - absolutely keep out pests.

Whack,

If you do so well with peppers, plant a couple dozen cayenne peppers (from seed is cheap).after drying, grind into a fine powder for use against all pests.
I wish I had the time for my squirrel story. maybe later.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Got some hopniss, sunchokes, and leeks:

I sliced up the sunchokes and hopniss, coated with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkled some thyme on them when finished. So easy to grow. You basically just plant them and ignore them. I'll probably do a few more buckets this year. Hopniss too.