Civil liberties thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Civil liberties thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:20 pm
There's no "betrayal." There's only a strategy followed in what they may believe (rightly or wrongly) is the best way to deal with the lawsuit. If they said, for example, "what Trump did was awful, evil, bigly bad, but didn't reach the level of violation of Constitutional rights," then they'll still have to defend the ACLU claim that it was a violation. It's just one more case on a tall stack.
We'll just have to disagree. IMO asking for a dismissal is a betrayal, especially absent the declaration you propose.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:13 am
O Really wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:20 pm
There's no "betrayal." There's only a strategy followed in what they may believe (rightly or wrongly) is the best way to deal with the lawsuit. If they said, for example, "what Trump did was awful, evil, bigly bad, but didn't reach the level of violation of Constitutional rights," then they'll still have to defend the ACLU claim that it was a violation. It's just one more case on a tall stack.
We'll just have to disagree. IMO asking for a dismissal is a betrayal, especially absent the declaration you propose.
Oh, I don't know that it's that much of a disagreement. We certainly agree that Trump's actions were despicable and deserving of punishment great enough as to discourage any dictator wannabe in the future from trying to produce their own pretend version of Tiananmen Square. We just disagree on whether there is a viable legal avenue to wreaking that punishment, and more specifically whether the attorneys defending this dead carp are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:45 am
Oh, I don't know that it's that much of a disagreement. We certainly agree that Trump's actions were despicable and deserving of punishment great enough as to discourage any dictator wannabe in the future from trying to produce their own pretend version of Tiananmen Square. We just disagree on whether there is a viable legal avenue to wreaking that punishment, and more specifically whether the attorneys defending this dead carp are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.
Certainly not with a Trumpette judge.
Judge tosses most claims over clearing protesters in DC park

A federal judge has dismissed a majority of the claims filed by activists and civil liberties groups who accused the Trump administration of violating the civil rights of protesters who were forcefully removed by police using chemical agents from a park near the White House before then-President Donald Trump walked to a nearby church to take a photo.

U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich said Monday the claims in the suit, which alleged that Trump and then-Attorney General William Barr had conspired to violate the rights of protesters last June, were speculative and it was premature for the court to conclude whether the actions of law enforcement officers were justified.

Friedrich dismissed the claims against Barr and other federal officials, including the acting U.S. Park Police chief, Gregory Monahan, finding there wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove there was any agreement or plan to violate the rights of the protesters. The judge also said the law gives them immunity in civil litigation.

In a 51-page decision, the judge did allow the claims against the Metropolitan Police Department and the Arlington Police Department — their officers were involved in clearing the park — to proceed.

The lawsuit stemmed from one of the most high-profile moments of the Trump presidency, when federal and local law enforcement officials aggressively forced a group of largely peaceful protesters back from Lafayette Square outside of the White House, firing smoke bombs and pepper balls into the crowd to disperse the group. Officers were seen shoving protesters and journalists as they pushed the crowd back....

After the crowd was forcefully dispersed, Trump, followed by an entourage of his most senior aides — including Barr — along with Secret Service agents and reporters, walked over to St. John’s Church, a landmark building where every president has prayed, which had been damaged a day earlier in a protest fire.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the group Black Lives Matter D.C. and individual protesters who were present by the ACLU of DC, Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the law firm of Arnold & Porter.

In a statement, Arthur Ago, the director of the criminal justice project at the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said the ruling set an “extremely dangerous precedent” and that former officials like Barr were “getting off scot-free.”

“We will always stand up for the rights of those peacefully demonstrating for racial justice, and this ruling sends the wrong message for police accountability efforts at a time when it is needed the most,” Ago said.
No surprise that Judge Dabney Friedrich was appointed by former PINO and served as Counsel for both Shrub and Orrin Hatch.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Garland bars prosecutors from seizing reporters' records

The Shrub-Obama-45SHOLE days are over.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Federal judge blocks Florida's 'anti-riot' law that Gov. DeSantis championed as a way to combat protests but civil rights groups said targeted people of color

... Northern Florida District Judge Mark Walker said the order binds Florida's agents, employees, and attorneys, court documents show, and blocked enforcement of the law under the definition of the word "riot."

... "If this court does not enjoin the statute's enforcement, the lawless actions of a few rogue individuals could effectively criminalize the protected speech of hundreds, if not thousands, of law-abiding Floridians," Walker wrote....

'The controversial law led to a handful of lawsuits from civil rights groups arguing that it infringed on First Amendment rights and targeted Black people. Walker noted in his ruling that the plaintiffs suggested the law was put into place as a response to racial justice protests that occurred in the summer of 2020, but he feared it would have more far-reaching effects.

"Though plaintiffs claim that they and their members fear that it will be used against them based on the color of their skin or the messages that they express, its vagueness permits those in power to weaponize its enforcement against any group who wishes to express any message that the government disapproves of," Walker wrote.
:thumbup: FU, Ronny.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The War that never ends. :roll:
Re: BBC America TV, 11 Apr 2023, 1730 EDT broadcast

Hi folks,

In your report on the selection of Chicago for the 2024 Democratic National Convention you cited the "violence" of the 1968 DNC and blamed anti-Vietnam War protestors without even mentioning the cops. In fact, it was a police riot far more than a protestor riot, as all credible contemporary and historical sources state.

Please air a correction and avoid such authoritarian bias in the future.

Be better,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:12 pm

Hi folks,

In your report on the selection of Chicago for the 2024 Democratic National Convention you cited the "violence" of the 1968 DNC and blamed anti-Vietnam War protestors without even mentioning the cops. In fact, it was a police riot far more than a protestor riot, as all credible contemporary and historical sources state.

Be better,
(Vrede too)
Yeah, that was the trial at which one of the defendants, Bobby Seale, was bound and gagged in a chair. CSNY wrote a song about it. "Chicago."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pswvi3QN_tI

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:12 pm

Hi folks,

Be better,
(Vrede too)
They're using Americanized journalism.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:05 am
Yeah, that was the trial at which one of the defendants, Bobby Seale, was bound and gagged in a chair. CSNY wrote a song about it. "Chicago."

:thumbup:

Funny pic. It makes Neil Young look like a giant. He's only 6'0", same as Stephen Stills, maybe 1/2" taller than Graham Nash and just 2" taller than David Crosby.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:09 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:05 am

Funny pic. It makes Neil Young look like a giant. He's only 6'0", same as Stephen Stills, maybe 1/2" taller than Graham Nash and just 2" taller than David Crosby.
I remember when that song came out....it became sort of an anthem of the time. Same thing with their song "Ohio" after the Kent State killings in 70. That one also became sort of a rallying cry. It all makes me long for my youth. And I like to think my youth longs for me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:00 am
I remember when that song came out....it became sort of an anthem of the time. Same thing with their song "Ohio" after the Kent State killings in 70. That one also became sort of a rallying cry. It all makes me long for my youth. And I like to think my youth longs for me.
In a time of warp speed societal changes it can be depressing how much remains the same.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Ame ... ution#Text

Police face criticism over central Kansas newspaper raid in which computers, phones seized
A small central Kansas police department is facing a firestorm of criticism after it raided the offices of a local newspaper and the home of its publisher and owner

:ateeth:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The pigs even killed Granny:

Kansas newspaper co-owner, 98, dies after 'tearfully' watching police raid her home

Bastards. There's also a GQP US Rep at least tangentially involved.
... Police were accused of behaving like the Gestapo in the raid on the paper, which has a circulation of 2,200.
That's Gazpacho to EmptyG fans.
... Mr Meyer told the Kansas Reflector police took “everything we have”.

He added that in his 20 years at the Milwaukee Journal or 26 years teaching journalism at the University of Illinois, he had never heard of the police raiding a paper.

... According to the paper’s website, Mrs Meyer “tearfully watched during the raid as police not only carter away her computer...but also dug through her son Eric’s personal bank and investment statements.”

Mr Meyer added: “Basically, all the law enforcement officers on duty in Marion County, Kansas, descended on our offices today and seized our server and computers and personal cellphones of staff members all because of a story we didn’t publish.”...
Eric Meyer is 69. :roll:

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:18 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:00 am
In a time of warp speed societal changes it can be depressing how much remains the same.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Ame ... ution#Text

Police face criticism over central Kansas newspaper raid in which computers, phones seized
A small central Kansas police department is facing a firestorm of criticism after it raided the offices of a local newspaper and the home of its publisher and owner

:ateeth:
"A two-page search warrant, signed by a local judge, lists Newell as the victim of alleged crimes by the newspaper. When the newspaper asked for a copy of the probable cause affidavit required by law to issue a search warrant, the district court issued a signed statement saying no such affidavit was on file, the Record reported.

Cody, the police chief, defended the raid on Sunday, saying in an email to The Associated Press that while federal law usually requires a subpoena — not just a search warrant — to raid a newsroom, there is an exception “when there is reason to believe the journalist is taking part in the underlying wrongdoing.”

Cody did not give details about what that alleged wrongdoing entailed,"
or provide details of his Immaculate Misconception of the Constitution .

I'm sure we all want to be nice to the upstanding town drunk and her sheriff because, well just because M - I - C - K - E - Y MOUSE,.

we're way too damn close to something real bad not to be setting examples. Maybe 75 years ago this can go ignored as small town ignorance, satisfied with a handslap,.

If we ever gain control: laws and penalties should, by contract and law, be especially harsh against those who used laws and regulations fraudulently or illegally.
Example: a teacher's contract would acknowledge that penalties for say, child molestation, would be double that imposed on the general public.
Same for cops and politicians

I hope there's prison time here.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:02 pm
"A two-page search warrant, signed by a local judge, lists Newell as the victim of alleged crimes by the newspaper. When the newspaper asked for a copy of the probable cause affidavit required by law to issue a search warrant, the district court issued a signed statement saying no such affidavit was on file, the Record reported.

Cody, the police chief, defended the raid on Sunday, saying in an email to The Associated Press that while federal law usually requires a subpoena — not just a search warrant — to raid a newsroom, there is an exception “when there is reason to believe the journalist is taking part in the underlying wrongdoing.”

Cody did not give details about what that alleged wrongdoing entailed,"
or provide details of his Immaculate Misconception of the Constitution .

I'm sure we all want to be nice to the upstanding town drunk and her sheriff because, well just because M - I - C - K - E - Y MOUSE,.

we're way too damn close to something real bad not to be setting examples. Maybe 75 years ago this can go ignored as small town ignorance, satisfied with a handslap.

If we ever gain control: laws and penalties should, by contract and law, be especially harsh against those who used laws and regulations fraudulently or illegally.
Example: a teacher's contract would acknowledge that penalties for say, child molestation, would be double that imposed on the general public.
Same for cops and politicians

Things to know about the resignation of a Kansas police chief who led a raid on a small newspaper

A Kansas police chief who led an August raid on a small weekly newspaper seemed to have the support of most city leaders in the weeks since the search, despite public outcry and calls for his resignation.

But that changed quickly once details began emerging about Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody's conduct. Cody was suspended Thursday, the same day a television station reported that he asked a local restaurant owner to delete text messages. Then body camera video of the Aug. 11 search of the Marion County Record was released — and it appeared to show Cody looking at a reporter's investigative file about him. Emails about the raid also emerged. By Monday, he resigned....
:roll: 1312, along with their enablers. Every one of the supportive city leaders is at best an idiot and at worst corrupt. Vote them all out!

Granny Joan Meyer, 98, Presente!

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:02 pm

:thumbup: I just read that a third employee, the office manager, has joined two reporters in suing over the raid.

Governor threatens scholarships after LSU women miss anthem at NCAA tournament
Landry hits at LSU women for absence during national anthem
LSU head coach Kim Mulkey decried as ‘woke’ amid furore

First, Landry and the RWers just look like stupid :crybaby: s since the absence was unintentional. Then, the players have an absolute 1A right to not attend. Govt punishment would clearly be unconstitutional, duh.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

And the team hasn't made it to a national anthem all season.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:15 am
And the team hasn't made it to a national anthem all season.
:lol: I missed that.
1312. ETTD.