you just can't fix stupid

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: you just can't fix stupid

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:28 pm

:roll: These are the people we intend to rely on in the future for intelligence gathering, recon, planning, stealth/surprise, target identification and operational success.
Not too mention hundreds of millions of dollars of military hardware and live ammunition.
Yep. :puke-left:

Selfies left on victim’s phone help ID carjacking suspect in North Carolina, cops say

Hey, why not make it easy for the cops?
Dad dies after flying into windshield when drunk teen son crashes, Tennessee cops say

A unlicensed teen who was driving while intoxicated has been charged with killing his dad, after their vehicle ran off the road and crashed, according to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department in Tennessee.

It happened at 6:45 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 28, on a five-lane highway in north Nashville, officials said....

“His father ... was riding in the back seat and was not wearing a seat belt. He was fatally injured after impacting the windshield.”

The deceased passenger was identified as Francisco Camaja-Taperia, 52, of Madison, officials said....

Only one vehicle was involved in the crash....
I'm impressed that the idiot dad somehow made it to 52.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Right before the crash, the dad was thinking "man, this is the way to travel." Opps!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

51 Of The Dumbest Things People Said Or Asked Out Loud And Regretted Afterward

:D

One example:
"My mom's birthday is February 17, and an old family friend asked her, 'Does your birthday ever fall on Valentine’s Day?' It took us over an hour to explain how that’s not possible, and she was still confused by the end of it."

I'd call it a two-fer. Pretty dumb to try and explain it for longer than 5 minutes.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Without looking, I'd guess one was "Is that thing real?"

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:55 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:51 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

:roll: These are the people we intend to rely on in the future for intelligence gathering, recon, planning, stealth/surprise, target identification and operational success.
Not too mention hundreds of millions of dollars of military hardware and live ammunition.

Selfies left on victim’s phone help ID carjacking suspect in North Carolina, cops say

Dad dies after flying into windshield when drunk teen son crashes, Tennessee cops say

A unlicensed teen who was driving while intoxicated has been charged with killing his dad, after their vehicle ran off the road and crashed, according to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department in Tennessee.

It happened at 6:45 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 28, on a five-lane highway in north Nashville, officials said....

“His father ... was riding in the back seat and was not wearing a seat belt. He was fatally injured after impacting the windshield.”

The deceased passenger was identified as Francisco Camaja-Taperia, 52, of Madison, officials said....

I solved a case with selfies after the donut eaters didn't have time to make a phone call.

I don't know of any cops ever helping me.

Like the time I stupidly thought they would help me get back over $5,000 in camera equipment (1982 dollars). Turned into a nightmare for me and even worse for the poor kid who broke into his neighbor's car and took what was lying on the seat.
I even told the cops that I bought my cheap unusual brand of film from Japan that it didn't have the processing code marked and photo shops all said that they had never seen this brand of film.
I suggested that the cops check with the 3 local 1 hour labs as 48 rolls of film were also stolen.
After 2 weeks of using disposable cameras, I stopped by the Gulf Breeze police department for a progress update. A bunch of them were sitting around, maybe they were on break, but they told me that they didn't have time to go running around based on "homeowner detective" advice.

One of the labs was 2 blocks away, I stopped there first and then drove a whole 3 miles to the 2nd one.
When I described the film, the tech said that she had just developed some and asked if I wanted to see it. She then showed me the pictures that the 2 idiot thieves had taken of themselves taking pictures of each other with my 2 cameras.

I'll forever regret what happened to the kid who didn't flee the state. I should have gone to his father. I think about what happened to this kid often.
I won't call the cops again.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I solved a case with selfies after the donut eaters didn't have time to make a phone call.

Like the time I stupidly thought they would help me get back over $5,000 in camera equipment (1982 dollars). Turned into a nightmare for me and even worse for the poor kid who broke into his neighbor's car and took what was lying on the seat.
I even told the cops that I bought my cheap unusual brand of film from Japan that it didn't have the processing code marked and photo shops all said that they had never seen this brand of film.
I suggested that the cops check with the 3 local 1 hour labs as 48 rolls of film were also stolen.
After 2 weeks of using disposable cameras, I stopped by the Gulf Breeze police department for a progress update. A bunch of them were sitting around, maybe they were on break, but they told me that they didn't have time to go running around based on "homeowner detective" advice.

One of the labs was 2 blocks away, I stopped there first and then drove a whole 3 miles to the 2nd one.
When I described the film, the tech said that she had just developed some and asked if I wanted to see it. She then showed me the pictures that the 2 idiot thieves had taken of themselves taking pictures of each other with my 2 cameras.

I'll forever regret what happened to the kid who didn't flee the state. I should have gone to his father. I think about what happened to this kid often.
Damn, you must have had Hasselblad cameras or Leicas and several lenses. I've still got my Nikon F2 that I bought in Hong Kong in 76. It was about a $1,000 camera in the US at the time. Haven't used it in probably thirty years. Even still have an unused roll of Kodachrome 25 film.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

My Nikon FE was stolen at Daytona about 30 years ago. It was a huge loss for me at the time. I got another Nikon after that but it wasn't as good as the FE. It wasn't so much the cost of replacement, it was more that the model had been discontinued and I couldn't replace it. I really liked that FE. Took great photos and was quite flexible.

Oh well. Thieves suck.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:23 pm

Damn, you must have had Hasselblad cameras or Leicas and several lenses. I've still got my Nikon F2 that I bought in Hong Kong in 76. It was about a $1,000 camera in the US at the time. Haven't used it in probably thirty years. Even still have an unused roll of Kodachrome 25 film.
If it's been sitting for 30 years, it's probably gone entirely from internal decay/rot. Or maybe it's made differently, but I had a Canon AE-1 that pretty much disintegrated inside from sitting around.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Bunch of lenses and 2 bodies.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:48 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

If it's been sitting for 30 years, it's probably gone entirely from internal decay/rot. Or maybe it's made differently, but I had a Canon AE-1 that pretty much disintegrated inside from sitting around.
I've never seen a camera rot from the inside out.

Where did you leave it sitting around? In a steam room?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:13 am
O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

You've never heard that paper can dry-rot?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:43 am
Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

You've never heard that paper can dry-rot?
I've heard dry-rot is a misnomer. It takes moisture to do the rot thing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

For a long time I would get it out and just work the shutter and film advance lever in an effort to avoid just that type thing. But I've not worked the mechanism in probably ten years now. The F2 shutter leaves are titanium foil, so they're pretty robust. I may dig it out today and open the back and fire off a few shots just to see if the shutter still functions correctly. When this camera came out I think it was the only one on the market in which the shutter speed could be set to 1/2000th of a second. All other 35mm cameras at the time only went up to 1/1000th of a second. I can't recall ever using that highest setting, though. I took more time exposures of creeks and waterfalls than any type of fast action stuff. Also at one time had several Nikkor lenses but got rid of all of them except for the 43-86mm Zoom Nikkor. I liked the effect of making a time exposure while at the same time zooming in or out on the image.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

Rubber seals will dry rot if left sitting around, even if they're in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. Same with tires. Rubber will dry rot because of a LACK of moisture. That's why it's "dry rot" instead of "wet rot," As far as I know, the only rubber in my Nikon is the seal around the back of it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This may be the grossest, most horrifying and most depressing article you'll read all year. It's a reprint from 2005. Idk why it's being published now. Everyone involved - prison guard alleged perp, managers, other dupes, corporate, some prosecutors, and even the ultimate victims - don't give reason to have much hope for humanity. :(

A hoax most cruel: How a caller duped McDonald's managers into strip-searching a worker

:wtf: :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Cruel hoax, but also some pretty gullible people. Overly intimidated by police or other "authority."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am
Cruel hoax, but also some pretty gullible people. Overly intimidated by police or other "authority."
Pretty gullible?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am
O Really wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am
Pretty gullible?
Ok, criminally gullible.