you just can't fix stupid

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: you just can't fix stupid

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:37 am
I doubt anyone tubes where there are or might be gators. I sure wouldn't. Even the small ones might go for dangling fingers or toes.
:lol:
If everybody thought like that, there would be no tubing in Florida at all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:59 am
Link

:wtf:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I wonder if anybody in Florida has painted "trump" on the back of an alligator like how someone defaced a manatee not long ago. If I had a diseased weasel I would paint "trump" on it and chase it up and down the neighborhood while beating it with a husk broom.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:59 am
Link

:wtf:
Yeah, I've been on a lot of those streams pictured. And Rainbow is one of my favourites. https://www.narcity.com/orlando/rainbow ... oggle-gdpr

But every one of them has 'gators. And there's a 'gator probably within 50 feet of everybody in all those pics. Once at Manatee Springs, we were about to practice eskimo rolls close in to the "swimming" area and happened to see about 8 feet of 'gator swimming around. The rangers just chase them off or tell everyone to wait 'til they leave.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:32 pm
Yeah, I've been on a lot of those streams pictured. And Rainbow is one of my favourites. https://www.narcity.com/orlando/rainbow ... oggle-gdpr

But every one of them has 'gators. And there's a 'gator probably within 50 feet of everybody in all those pics. Once at Manatee Springs, we were about to practice eskimo rolls close in to the "swimming" area and happened to see about 8 feet of 'gator swimming around. The rangers just chase them off or tell everyone to wait 'til they leave.
Guess that makes me a river snob, too, or river wimp or something :oops: . I did a week long canoe trip in the Gulf side Everglades in the 1980s. I went swimming a lot the first couple of days, not so much after seeing the first few dozen gators.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm
. I did a week long canoe trip in the Gulf side Everglades in the 1980s. I went swimming a lot the first couple of days, not so much after seeing the first few dozen gators.
Holy shit, man - who were you with that didn't tell you that you were volunteering to be an early version "Florida Man"? Depending on exactly where you were, that's where some of the biggest gators in the state live and raise their young. And now, though not necessarily when you were there, they have pythons, too. And the gators fight the pythons while the rattlesnakes watch from the side and the mosquitos eat stray cats for snacks. And you went swimming?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 pm
Holy shit, man - who were you with that didn't tell you that you were volunteering to be an early version "Florida Man"? Depending on exactly where you were, that's where some of the biggest gators in the state live and raise their young. And now, though not necessarily when you were there, they have pythons, too. And the gators fight the pythons while the rattlesnakes watch from the side and the mosquitos eat stray cats for snacks. And you went swimming?
Big gators were one of the reasons I mostly quit swimming. Pythons weren't really a problem in the 1980s, and even now attacks on adult humans are rare. Not too many rattlesnakes in the mangroves, they like some land. Mosquitoes aren't too bad in late Nov, breezes mostly keep them off the chickees, and DEET and the tent kept them off of us. It was a great trip, one I always meant to repeat and extend but never got around to. Wanna go? Everglades City to Flamingo.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm
. I did a week long canoe trip in the Gulf side Everglades in the 1980s. I went swimming a lot the first couple of days, not so much after seeing the first few dozen gators.
My first experience with alligators was in 79 while house hunting in Citrus County. I took the scenic tent space down near the river. After spending an hour or so reading in the car, I turned on the headlights to check out the path to my tent. There was a 6 to 8 foot gator hanging out by my tent.
I finished Slap Stick and slept in the VW.

I mostly got use to them after 3 years living on an island in the Tsala Apopka swamp - although losing my beagle right before my eyes does still hurt.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 am
O Really wrote:
Big gators were one of the reasons I mostly quit swimming. Pythons weren't really a problem in the 1980s, and even now attacks on adult humans are rare. Not too many rattlesnakes in the mangroves, they like some land. Mosquitoes aren't too bad in late Nov, breezes mostly keep them off the chickees, and DEET and the tent kept them off of us. It was a great trip, one I always meant to repeat and extend but never got around to. Wanna go? Everglades City to Flamingo.
We've kayaked a lot around the Everglades City area, particularly on Turner River and Big Cypress. But when the sun starts getting lower, I like to load the boats, go get a margarita, watch the sunset, and head for the ranch. The idea of spending the night out in the glades isn't particularly appealing. But that's just me. I don't mind gator in the daytime - night is a bit different. We went out to Bird Rookery Swamp late one day, walked in about a half-mile or so and found a good place to sit and watch as it got darker. Dude - a swamp is a really dark place, but we did have moonlight. Stayed out for about an hour or so after dark. Heard a lot of critters. But if you swept the flashlight out over the wet, there were a lot of pairs of shiny eyes. Fun night, but not necessary to do it again.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:32 am
We've kayaked a lot around the Everglades City area, particularly on Turner River and Big Cypress. But when the sun starts getting lower, I like to load the boats, go get a margarita, watch the sunset, and head for the ranch. The idea of spending the night out in the glades isn't particularly appealing. But that's just me. I don't mind gator in the daytime - night is a bit different. We went out to Bird Rookery Swamp late one day, walked in about a half-mile or so and found a good place to sit and watch as it got darker. Dude - a swamp is a really dark place, but we did have moonlight. Stayed out for about an hour or so after dark. Heard a lot of critters. But if you swept the flashlight out over the wet, there were a lot of pairs of shiny eyes. Fun night, but not necessary to do it again.
Moonlight and/or starlight away from the mangroves. There was one chickee with a massive gator that hovered for hours, obviously having been fed by idiot campers, adventurous pets and clumsy toddlers, but they're apparently up high enough that the gators can't get on them.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

9 people in custody after hourslong armed standoff on I-95

An hourslong standoff with a group of heavily armed men that partially shut down Interstate 95 ended Saturday with nine suspects in custody, Massachusetts state police said....

The standoff began around 2 a.m. when police noticed two cars pulled over on I-95 with hazard lights on after they had apparently run out of fuel, authorities said at a Saturday press briefing.

Between eight to 10 men were clad in military-style gear with long guns and pistols, Mass State Police Col. Christopher Mason said. He added that they were headed to Maine from Rhode Island for “training.”

The men refused to put down their weapons or comply with authorities' orders, claiming to be from a group “that does not recognize our laws" before taking off into a wooded area, police said....
These include the laws of physics governing the propulsion of vehicles. How low does your gas have to be to run out between Rhode Island and Massachusetts?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'm guessing they must have been white guys? Or the headline would have read "9 men killed in traffic stop..."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:56 pm
I'm guessing they must have been white guys? Or the headline would have read "9 men killed in traffic stop..."

Amazingly no.
They are Moorish Americans, the African American equivalent of Sovereign Citizens.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:22 pm
O Really wrote:

Amazingly no.
They are Moorish Americans, the African American equivalent of Sovereign Citizens.
Wait - 9 Black guys with guns that they refuse to put down and basically telling the cops to fuckoff and they're all still alive? Those cops ought to quit active coppery and make millions giving lessons to other cops. Seriously, I'd have thought that if there is going to be an instance where the cops are skeered and "justified" in shooting, it would be something like this.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:43 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Amazingly no.
Wait - 9 Black guys with guns that they refuse to put down and basically telling the cops to fuckoff and they're all still alive? Those cops ought to quit active coppery and make millions giving lessons to other cops. Seriously, I'd have thought that if there is going to be an instance where the cops are skeered and "justified" in shooting, it would be something like this.
Guess they were smart enough to run to the woods before they could get shot. Also, I think it started off as one cop against eleven so the cop probably was too skeered to open fire.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:43 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Amazingly no.
Guess they were smart enough to run to the woods before they could get shot. Also, I think it started off as one cop against eleven so the cop probably was too skeered to open fire.
I sort of wonder what the charges will be, if any.

Never heard of "Moorish Americans". You'd think they'd have a presence here in California, but maybe I'm just living in a cocoon.

It does sound like they are the black equivalent of various white militia groups that have been in the news lately.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Never heard of "Moorish Americans". You'd think they'd have a presence here in California, but maybe I'm just living in a cocoon.

It does sound like they are the black equivalent of various white militia groups that have been in the news lately.
You're living in a cocoon. Try YouTube, be entertained.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:24 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm

You're living in a cocoon. Try YouTube, be entertained.
Oh, I get plenty of Youtube. Don't need any more.

I did some googling, and Wiki was most informative.

Seems like the Moorish American thing dates back to early 20th Century, primarily in the eastern part of America (Jersey, Chicago, etc). An outgrowth of sorts is the Nation of Islam, which I've certainly heard of here.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

According to the very limited info provided in the article the "Rise of the Moors" seem to have gone to great lengths to differentiate themselves from the anti-govt white militia groups. This MAY have had something to do with the nonviolent police response, along with it being Massachusetts.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mom leaves 9-month-old at bar with strangers she met hours earlier, Alabama cops say

Good on the strangers for calling the cops when she returned drunk, I guess . . . but why didn't they or anyone else call the cops when she first left the baby with strangers, or didn't return for hours? :confusion-scratchheadblue:
1312. ETTD.