Wingnut emails, sorry poor formatting.... it's from wingnuts

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Wingnut emails, sorry poor formatting.... it's from wingnuts

Unread post by bannination »

About time we pushed back. I for one am tired of the minorities ruling the majorities.

AGREE OR DELETE

This is by a daughter of a murdered couple in Raytown , MO , who had a Bible and Bookstore on 63rd street .. She says:

When I had to testify at the murder trial of my parents a week ago, I was asked to raise my right hand... The bailiff started out "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

I stood there and waited but she said nothing. She said "Do you?"

I was so stunned I blurted out "What happened to "so help me God'?"

She came back with "Do you?" I replied yes, but I was perplexed.

Then the judge said . "You can say that if you want to."

I stopped, raised my right hand, and finished with "So help me God!"

I told my son and daughter that when it came time for them to testify, they should do the same.

I don't know what can be done about it, but it's time for us to step up and DO something.

NBC this morning had a poll on this question.. They had the highest number of responses that they have ever had for one of their polls, and the percentage was the same as this:

86%to keep the words, 14% against... That is a pretty 'commanding' public response.

I was asked to send this on if I agreed... Or delete if I didn't.

Now it is your turn. It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God.

Therefore, I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Why is America -- our nation -- catering to this 14%?

If you agree, pass this on, if not, simply delete....

Dryer Vent
Pilot Officer

Re: Wingnut emails, sorry poor formatting.... it's from wing

Unread post by Dryer Vent »

This kind if idiocy is why I don't attend church anymore. My spouse and I are devout Christians, but the Christianity we see today should have a small "c" as it bears no resemblance to what we believe or how we were reared in the church. It makes me sick to see this kind of crap. A court is a civil body. It is not a religious body.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Dryer Vent wrote:... A court is a civil body. It is not a religious body.
Agreed.

It's those who, sincerely, pass on such rhetoric as mentioned in Banni's email that make many believe *most* Christians are intolerant of others.

Thank goodness there is a growing Christian community who actually understand what being a Christian is all about.

Even so, that being said, I hope y'all understand that being tolerant doesn't mean I expect you to be a Christian. Sadly, tolerance is rare among many of those whom call themselves "Christian."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Dryer Vent wrote:This kind if idiocy is why I don't attend church anymore. My spouse and I are devout Christians, but the Christianity we see today should have a small "c" as it bears no resemblance to what we believe or how we were reared in the church.
Did you ever stop to think that there's more than one church available to attend? You've done the same thing that the moonbats in these forums do; you have stereotyped all churches as being the same, just as the moonbats have stereotyped all Christians as the same mindset and that all of Christianity's ills, past and present, are the fault of today's Christians.

A church is only as good as it's leadership and it's teachings; if the leadership is poor, that doesn't mean that all churches have poor leadership. I never got into the church thing myself, but I don't criticize those who do go to church. MrB was adamant in his stance when he said many times that anyone can SAY they're a Christian, but BEING a Christian is proof in the pudding (or something like that). BTW, where is MrB? Haven't heard from him in a while.

If you agree, pass this on, if not, simply delete....
I delete junk like this before I finish reading it. The only reason that is tacked on an email is to keep it going; to the benefit of the original author.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Leo Lyons wrote:... MrB was adamant in his stance when he said many times that anyone can SAY they're a Christian, but BEING a Christian is proof in the pudding (or something like that). BTW, where is MrB? Haven't heard from him in a while.

MrB. has apparently left the building voluntarily. Personally, I liked the ol' curmudgeon and made an effort to engage him constructively. The problem with his view, however, is that there really isn't any demonstrable criteria for being a Christian other than saying you're one. There are hundreds of "Christian" sects, all of whom believe they have the "real" answer. Surprise - not all of them do. And what if the one(s) who are right are not the Christians anyway? Who decides? Maybe the afterlife is a lottery. Buy your ticket on Sunday. See what happens when you cash it it.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

What's the difference which church it is? It's the same basic supernatural nonsense
anyway. :-||

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Bungalow Bill wrote:What's the difference which church it is? It's the same basic supernatural nonsense
anyway. :-||
To some. Have at it with belittling believers.
However, I'll choose to let you believe what you desire to believe (or don't desire to believe) without impinging on what you do believe (or don't believe). Fair enough?

I realize bigots come in many shapes and forms. Those bigoted against me because I'm a believer ... well, you're no better than a racist or a hom - *never mind, it's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times * ....

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Bungalow Bill wrote:What's the difference which church it is? It's the same basic supernatural nonsense
anyway.
There are some major differences.

Hindus believe in many Gods. The Romans, Greeks and Egyptians who gave us the very foundations of society, culture, science, philosophy, literature and drama - had entire pantheons of Gods. On the other hand most Buddhists don't believe in any creator. Nor do Daoists. Christians and Jews are strictly monotheistic - although the Bible still contains some remnants of the faith's polytheistic roots.

For Christians, humanity's problem is sin and the answer is salvation.

For Muslims, it's human pride and the answer is submission to Islam.

For Jews, it's exile and return.

For Hindus and Buddhists the problem is suffering, and the solution is the release from the cycles of birth and death. Not to be reborn is a solution to life's suffering - which is NOT the same as redemption or a Christian or Islamic afterlife.

The Christian and Islamic Gods are utterly different from the Buddhist "emptiness" at the centre of existence, while the Jewish God is outside of history and did not send any godly son or prophet to redeem anyone.

Christians fill an important but unique role among the other religions in that *someone* has to pay retail.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:Image
LOL!
I get that ...

Really, I can laugh at my own beliefs and I can even find them odd or incredulous (it is by its nature).

It's the derision I find offensive.

@rstrong: I always pay retail ... you nailed it (ummm, sorry, poor choice of words). :oops:

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:You "Deserve It". :P
Yeah, tell me about it ...
I guess it goes with the territory, so to speak.

bannination
Captain

The email itself of course doesn't bother me, it was the long list of forwarded email addresses attached to it.

Easy way to lose faith in humanity.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

bannination wrote:The email itself of course doesn't bother me, it was the long list of forwarded email addresses attached to it.

Some people ain't got sense enough to know what that BCC box is for. You should enlighten your "friends".
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

bannination
Captain

homerfobe wrote:
bannination wrote:The email itself of course doesn't bother me, it was the long list of forwarded email addresses attached to it.

Some people ain't got sense enough to know what that BCC box is for. You should enlighten your "friends".
BCC'ing emails like that sort of destroys the purpose for them to begin with. They want their names out there, because they think it's a good thing to support looney assertions and be a bigot.

Thankfully, for the rest of us, it easily tells us who and what opinions to avoid.
Last edited by bannination on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: there=their

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:When I receive utter BS - sometimes from lefties - I send out the debunking to all so that senders and recipients alike can see how foolish the senders are while I'm hopefully breaking the chain.
Nothing will get you removed from an annoying mailing list quicker than a reply-all with a snopes.com link.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede wrote:You ain't got sense enough to know that they ain't Banni's friends.
You ain't got sense enough to know that you ain't really Banni's friend. In fact, you ain't got sense period.
Verde wrote:shit...shit...shit...shit....
Obssessed and hungry. ewww
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Dryer Vent
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Dryer Vent »

How do Catholics know that they are having a good time? They are consumed with guilt.

bannination
Captain

homerfobe wrote:
Vrede wrote:You ain't got sense enough to know that they ain't Banni's friends.
You ain't got sense enough to know that you ain't really Banni's friend. In fact, you ain't got sense period.
Ah... another baseless assumption. Always the tell of a wingnut.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

I was thinking mostly of the mainline churches in the U.S. There are more differences
the wider you spread the net and include other world religions, but even then, they
are all centered around a belief in supernaturalism, and that's a belief that I find
nonsensical. I don't consider that to be impinging on anyone's belief, it's just my
personal view, perhaps stated more bluntly than usual.

There is a difference between the so-called bigotry of disagreeing with someone's
religious beliefs and racism or homophobia. The latter is based simply on the exis-
tence of certain people, not what they specifically believe. Racists dislike a certain
race just for being that race, without any regard to what individuals of that race
may believe.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:
Bungalow Bill wrote:...There is a difference between the so-called bigotry of disagreeing with someone's religious beliefs and racism or homophobia. The latter is based simply on the existence of certain people, not what they specifically believe. Racists dislike a certain race just for being that race, without any regard to what individuals of that race may believe.
Another big difference: The racists and homophobes want their hatefulness enshrined in law or practice whereas the atheists, harsh as they may be sometimes, are not calling for actual discrimination against believers.
I suppose not.
Only indirect, or direct, derisiveness because, long ago, I took Pascal's Wager.

Don't hate me for it, ok?

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Vrede wrote:I'm not saying that you should not be offended or that you should refrain from replying with the vigor that you feel is warranted, but there is a difference in real world effect.

Go git 'em. :thumbup:
Thanks, Vrede. I'm not going anywhere. Image

However, I do take offense when such a large brush is used to paint believers as "stupid," "idiotic," "ignorant" et al.

There are many believers who have actually helped the advancement of science, physics and chemistry (despite the initial obstruction of such).
The impetus is largely in attempting to understand the very nature and the intricacies of what God has done.
Our minds are forever seeking and questioning.

In fact, my given name, Michael, means "Who is like God?"
I want to know how this all came about. I want to know why.
The only way we can even remotely peek past the metaphorical door which, behind, holds the answers, is to continue researching and discovering the amazing intricacies that are a part of our everyday life.

None of this happened by chance.