Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Immigration

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Cowboy wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:No point giving them thousands of square miles of territory if the Texicans are just gonna dash across the border to OK and AR. Both those states are backward enough without any fucking Texicans making it worse.
FYI-

No real Texan would EVER move to Oklahoma for ANY reason except to drill for oil.

1. texican

A person living in Texas during the time of the Republic of Texas.

A person modern who advocates that Texas secede from the United States.
The Texicans sought entry of Texas into the United States as a way to repay war debts and ensure that Mexico would not attempt to reclaim their former territory.

Senator Smith is running on a Texican platform, claiming that Texas contributes more to the United States that the state receives in return.

A native Texan of Mexican descent.
He's a second-generation Texican.

A Texan of Mexican ancestry
Los Lonely Boys describe themselves as Texicans.
Texican: a word that pisses off swaggering, macho sacks of bullshit native to Texass. That's good enough for me.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Boatrocker wrote:Texican: a word that pisses off swaggering, macho sacks of bullshit native to Texass. That's good enough for me.
Who told you that?

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Vrede wrote:But, would TX's secession from Mexico have succeeded without the support of US slavers expecting that TX would join the Union and support their cause?
To my knowledge, Texicans did it on their own without any help from the slaver states.
It was a short war starting with the attack on the Alamo on February 23, 1836 and ending at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836.
There wasn't time for any outside assistance even if they wanted to offer it.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Vrede wrote:The article does not discuss any slaver support for the Texians leading up to the war, nor the degree to which support for them during the war was motivated by pro-slavery sentiment, I don't know.
Thanks for that.
-Slavery-

When Anglo settlers were originally admitted to Mexican Texas, they were permitted to bring their black slaves from the Deep South with them. Indeed, had Mexican Texas been closed to slavery from the beginning, far fewer Southerners would have emigrated either because they could not bring their expensive property and manpower source with them or because of their political/racial views.

Over the years, Mexico took repeated steps to limit or abolish slavery in Texas. Each step prompted a vociferous reaction from Anglos followed by a Mexican retreat in which the threatening change was repealed. Given the amount of capital many Anglos had invested in black slaves, Mexico's mercurial actions with respect to slavery were at the very least threatening. There were those by 1836 who felt an independent Republic of Texas in which slavery was firmly and for all time recognized and respected was preferable to Mexico with an uncertain future for slavery. Two and one half decades later Texans still felt so strongly about black slavery and attached to it for both economic and social reasons that they would secede from the United States and wage a civil war rather than see the institution imperiled.
http://www.austincc.edu/lpatrick/his1693/causes.html

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Vrede wrote:I may, as you said, have been remembering how central slavery was to the TX insurgency and mistakenly assumed that meant that it was more a product of outside influence than it was. That said, all those TX slavers whose "rights" were being defended came from somewhere.
Right.
Primarily from Southern states.
And if they owned slaves, they brought them along.
Slavery was an ugly thing that fed on itself until it ended after 600,000 died on top of the countless slave deaths over 250 years.
That's why Juneteenth is celebrated in Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Cowboy wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:Texican: a word that pisses off swaggering, macho sacks of bullshit native to Texass. That's good enough for me.
Who told you that?
Every blowhard fullashit Texican I ever knew. In Texass, that would amount to somewhere around 98+% of native Texicans. Why a non-native would live there other than at gunpoint, I can't imagine.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Boatrocker wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
Who told you that?
Every blowhard fullashit Texican I ever knew.
Do tell.
You really talk to Texans?
Do you use an interpreter?
In Texass, that would amount to somewhere around 98+% of native Texicans.

Well, Texas IS a red state.
(that's why I live in Austin)
Why a non-native would live there other than at gunpoint, I can't imagine.
You obviously have never lived in Oklahoma.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Boatrocker, what is your problem with Texans?
One of 'em steal your woman or your horse?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Texas is a big place. San Antonio is not Abilene. El Paso is not Texarkana. Mark Cuban is not Jerry Jones. B-Rock must have had something really really bad happen in Texas or by a Texan to haul around that much grudge.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Vrede wrote:Can't we all just agree that Oklahoma sucks?
You won't get any argument from me on that.

O Really
Admiral

If Oklahoma didn't suck does anybody think they would have given so much of it to the Indians?

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

O Really wrote:If Oklahoma didn't suck does anybody think they would have given so much of it to the Indians?
The boundaries of Oklahoma are based on what no one else wanted.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede wrote:. . . Can't we all just agree that Oklahoma sucks?
It sucks, but it still ain't Texass.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

C'mon, B-Rock, tell us the story. Why are you so down on Texas? It's gotta be a good one.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Cowboy wrote:Boatrocker, what is your problem with Texans?
Women and horses serve pretty much the same purpose in Texass, but I have never owned a horse and never dated a girl from Texass.
To answer honestly, I have never met more than a skinny handful of Texicans- male or female- who weren't obnoxious, loud-mouthed, shit-talking, blowhard braggart throwbacks who thought they were living in a Chuck Norris movie. I was born and raised in Alabama and I know how distasteful the redneck evangelicals are in most of the Southern states. But I frankly have found Texicans to be more obnoxious than all of them put together- right up there with the most godawful natives of the NE corridor. I have friends from Texass, and even had family out there, though they weren't natives. I've lived and worked around them in the service, and spent enough time out there on jobsites in the last 15 years to have more than a small sampling. And I swear, Texicans seem to want you to dislike them.

Rant over.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

Boatrocker wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Boatrocker, what is your problem with Texans?
Women and horses serve pretty much the same purpose in Texass, but I have never owned a horse and never dated a girl from Texass.
In some parts of Texas, a horse is more useful.
To answer honestly, I have never met more than a skinny handful of Texicans- male or female- who weren't obnoxious, loud-mouthed, shit-talking, blowhard braggart throwbacks who thought they were living in a Chuck Norris movie.
Sounds like tea baggeer Republicans.
They obviously aren't from Austin.
Where abouts in Texas were you?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I was once in Texas at some Air Force base, but just for a few hours on the way to my ship in CA. I was suspicious the whole time.....

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, I spent a while in El Paso, too - while Willie Farrah was turning the hounds loose on his striking employees. Haven't seen any reason to go back since. But San Antonio, Austin, Dallas...I think they're good places.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

O Really wrote:Yeah, I spent a while in El Paso, too - while Willie Farrah was turning the hounds loose on his striking employees. Haven't seen any reason to go back since. But San Antonio, Austin, Dallas...I think they're good places.
Dallas?!
Nice place to assassinate a President, but you wouldn't want to live there.

O Really
Admiral

Cowboy wrote:
O Really wrote:Yeah, I spent a while in El Paso, too - while Willie Farrah was turning the hounds loose on his striking employees. Haven't seen any reason to go back since. But San Antonio, Austin, Dallas...I think they're good places.
Dallas?!
Nice place to assassinate a President, but you wouldn't want to live there.
Well, maybe not actually IN Dallas, but I've visited friends in Las Colinas and it was pretty pleasant.