Young College Grads: Real Earnings Fell in 2011

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Young College Grads: Real Earnings Fell in 2011

Unread post by bannination »

JTA
Commander

Re: Young College Grads: Real Earnings Fell in 2011

Unread post by JTA »

Given the prospect of falling real wages, coupled with rising college costs and debt, many young people are beginning to question the value of a college degree altogether.
I know several people with 50k+ in student loan debt with few prospects of finding a decent job with the degree they have. Ouch.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
Given the prospect of falling real wages, coupled with rising college costs and debt, many young people are beginning to question the value of a college degree altogether.
I know several people with 50k+ in student loan debt with few prospects of finding a decent job with the degree they have. Ouch.
Yep, I understood when people with liberal arts degrees or political science degrees couldn't find jobs, but it's spread to like mad to the sciences as well now.

Unless you're a nurse or a doctor around here, you're scrapping by with little opportunity.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Imagine graduating from medical school with $250K debt, and not being able to find a residency program to complete your training.

:mrgreen:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:
Yep, I understood when people with liberal arts degrees or political science degrees couldn't find jobs, but it's spread to like mad to the sciences as well now.

Unless you're a nurse or a doctor around here, you're scrapping by with little opportunity.
They should have gone to ITT Tech or University of Phoenix.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:

They should have gone to ITT Tech or University of Phoenix.
Ah yes, University of Phoenix, that way you can graduate with $250,000 of debt and still not be a doctor. :lol:

bannination
Captain

Ack, even WCU is up to:
Sample Per-Semester Cost for In-State, Residential, Full-Time Graduate Student
1) Tuition and Fees In-State $3870.00
2) Residence Hall Madison Hall $2713.00
3) Meal Plan 80 AYCE Meals plus $799 Declining Balance $1356.00
Total per semester $7939.00

Graduates are screwed.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:Ack, even WCU is up to:
Sample Per-Semester Cost for In-State, Residential, Full-Time Graduate Student
1) Tuition and Fees In-State $3870.00
2) Residence Hall Madison Hall $2713.00
3) Meal Plan 80 AYCE Meals plus $799 Declining Balance $1356.00
Total per semester $7939.00

Graduates are screwed.
Then you still have to pay around 500 bucks for text books, if not more. Can't buy the used book because there may be a newer edition out with a slightly altered paragraph and a new picture in the chapter the class doesn't even cover.

Needless to say a lot of people pirate the hell out of text books and don't feel bad about it all. I certainly wouldn't.

Speaking of rising tuition costs - When I first enrolled in college my out of state tuition was cheaper than what the in state tuition is now. This wasn't even ten years ago.

bannination
Captain