Futbol

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Futbol

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:40 pm
Sorry (not sorry) but I'm having a hard time rooting very hard for a team that sneaks into the 16 with one win over a weak team and two draws. Go England! Make me old mum proud.
You can't root for a team that's struggling and not an overwhelming favorite? I'm a Cub fan, we call that another day in the life.

You'll like them fine if they win. :lol:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Sorry (not sorry) but I'm having a hard time rooting very hard for a team that sneaks into the 16 with one win over a weak team and two draws. Go England! Make me old mum proud.
You can't root for a team that's struggling and not an overwhelming favorite? I'm a Cub fan, we call that another day in the life.

Point well taken, if I actually cared much one way or the other. My "support" consists of opening my Sports app and looking to see if any of the few teams I'm interested in win or not. Win or lose, but don't bore me with a tie. JMNVHO

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:26 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:19 am
Glad I didn't stay up for that. :roll:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/uswnt-adva ... 02742.html
Agreed.
... it’s increasingly clear that the gap has closed; that the USWNT are one of eight or nine contenders, rather than one of one favorite.
:think:
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:49 pm
Women's World Cup
https://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/scoreboard/
https://www.espn.com/soccer/table/_/league/FIFA.WWC
Local times are 12-16 hours ahead of EDT.
WEEK 1: 5-7 -0-? :problem: :thumbdown:
WEEK 2: 4-7. Cumulative: 9-14, could be worse. :|

Knocked out:
Vietnam (GD -12!)
Ireland
Costa Rica (GD -7)
Zambia (GD -10! -8)
Panama (GD -8). Central America is done.
New Zealand :(
Philippines
Canada :(
Portugal
China :thumbup:
Haiti :(

Italy
Argentina
Brasil

Advance:
Spain
Japan (GD +11!)
Sweden
Colombia
Switzerland
Norway
Australia :D
Nigeria
Netherlands (GD
+8) :thumbup:
US :thumbup:
England GD
+7
Denmark
South Africa
France
Jamaica

WEEK 3

Go futbol:

Tue, 8/1
Vietnam vs Netherlands, 3:00 AM EDT. I don't want to root against Vietnam, but Netherlands could knock the USWNT out. :problem:
0-7! Netherlands wins Group E 7-5.

GO:
My guesses are wishes based on a variety of positive and negative prejudices, not in any way informed predictions.

Sun, 7/30
Opps, I would have picked host New Zealand > Switzerland, but I don't hate Switzerland. 0-0
Opps, I would have picked Philippines > Norway in order to help New Zealand. 0-6 :thumbdown:
Switzerland wins Group A. Norway beats out New Zealand for 2nd on a 5-0 GD. :(

Mon, 7/31
Spain > Japan, 3:00 AM EDT. Both advance, regardless.
0-4 :thumbdown: . Wow, Japan is for real, wins 3 games and the group!
Costa Rica > Zambia. Both have been knocked out, regardless. 3:00 AM EDT, first I've seen same start times :headscratch: . I wonder which game most will watch? ;)
1-3. Good for Zambia, the lowest ranked team in the WC. 1st ever WC win.
Australia > Canada, 6:00 AM EDT. Sorry, O Really, but I want the locals to stay excited, especially with New Zealand knocked out.
4-0 :clap: . Matildas even win the group :thumbup: . Canada is edged by Nigeria :thumbdown: .
Ireland > Nigeria, 6:00 AM EDT. Another doubled up kickoff time. :headscratch: 0-0 :thumbdown:

Tue, 8/1
USA > Portugal, 3:00 AM EDT, but I don't hate Portugal.
0-0, US barely edges Portugal into Group E #2 5-4. Historic nemesis Sweden may be too tough.
England > China, 7:00 AM EDT.
6-1 :clap: . England, 9 points, is for real.
Denmark > Haiti, 7:00 AM EDT. Poor Haiti, but I want to make sure that China is knocked out. 2-0

Wed, 8/2
Sweden > Argentina, 3:00 AM EDT. Sweden has already advanced, but I want to see South Africa advance. I don't hate Argentina. 2-0 :thumbup: 9 points.
South Africa > Italy, 3:00 AM EDT. Seriously, what's with the simultaneous game times all of a sudden, especially when both matter to the same teams? South Africa overcame an own goal and a 1-2 Italy lead to win with a goal in the 90th minute, 3-2! It edged Italy 4-3 on points for 2nd in Group G. 2nd African team to advance. :clap:
Panama > France, 6:00 AM EDT. Not likely, but I want to give Jamaica the best chance to advance. Nope, 3-6 :| Takes 1st in Group F.
Jamaica > Brazil, 6:00 AM EDT. 0-0, Brasil absolutely dominated the game except for the Jamaican goalie - 17 saves!!!
https://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/womens- ... -13281442/
Jamaica edges Brasil 5-4 on points. Jah rules!

Thu, 8/3
Korea Republic > Germany, 6:00 AM EDT. Go Morocco.
Morocco > Colombia, 6:00 AM EDT.

1-4, ut-oh.
4-4, that's better.
6-5, my first lead since early in Week 1.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:52 pm
O Really wrote:

Point well taken, if I actually cared much one way or the other. My "support" consists of opening my Sports app and looking to see if any of the few teams I'm interested in win or not. Win or lose, but don't bore me with a tie. JMNVHO
I don't blame you.
No NBA, NHL, WNBA or MLS teams.
NFL team is now the LA Traitors.
Colleges play in the Mountain West and the Big West.
Then, worse than the Cubs:
San Diego Padres

... Founded in 1969, the club has won two NL pennants—in 1984 and 1998, losing in the World Series both years. As of 2022, they have had 16 winning seasons in franchise history.... As of 2022, the Padres are the only team in California not to have won a World Series....

From 1969 through 2022, the Padres have an overall record of 3,952–4,568 (.464).
And, there's UNC. :angry-banghead:
:P :wave:

Maybe you could start following the NWSL San Diego Wave FC. 2022 expansion, 10-6-6, lost in the Semis. 2023: 1-4-0, 4th in the West (out of 4, opps).
https://www.nwslsoccer.com/standings
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:48 am

Maybe you could start following the NWSL San Diego Wave FC. 2022 expansion, 10-6-6, lost in the Semis. 2023: 1-4-0, 4th in the West (out of 4, opps).
https://www.nwslsoccer.com/standings
Thanks for reminding me.
Well, the CFL season is 7 weeks underway and the BC Lions are 6-1.

I can be a loyal fan, though. I just don't choose to get all emotionally wrapped up in a team that's gonna break my heart. Yay, they won. Opps, they lost. Thank u next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:17 pm
Thanks for reminding me.
Well, the CFL season is 7 weeks underway and the BC Lions are 6-1.

I can be a loyal fan, though. I just don't choose to get all emotionally wrapped up in a team that's gonna break my heart. Yay, they won. Opps, they lost. Thank u next.
GoLionsGo! Been to any games?

Jamaica's Reggae Girlz Make History At 2023 Women's World Cup
"The country should be proud," head coach Lorne Donaldson said in a post-game interview.

Jamaica’s national women’s soccer team, the Reggae Girlz, made history at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup on Wednesday, advancing to the knockout round with a 0-0 draw against Brazil, booting the powerhouse team from the tournament.

It’s the first time a Caribbean nation has advanced to Round 16 in the Women’s World Cup, according to FIFA.
:clap: I wondered.
... The Reggae Girlz made their 2023 World Cup debut in a game against France on July 23, which ended in a 0-0 draw. The team then defeated Panama one week later, 1-0. Their next game is slated for Aug. 8.

Player Deneisha Blackwood holds a Jamaican flag after the Reggae Girlz played the Brazilian team to a draw in Wednesday's FIFA Women's World Cup match.

... Cedella Marley, the daughter of Bob Marley and Rita Marley, has spoken out about the lack of funding, support and widespread recognition for the Reggae Girlz over the years. In 2014, she became an ambassador for the team, which had remained dormant for years due to a lack of funding.

In 2019, the Reggae Girlz made their World Cup debut after becoming the first Caribbean national team to qualify for the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Go Reggae Girlz Go!

Portugal's Ana Capeta was INCHES away from ELIMINATING USWNT in the World Cup (video)

Phew. "I had everything else covered," was my usual quip :D . In this case it's sorta true for the US goalie.

O Really's daughter:
Soccer Great Carli Lloyd Slams U.S. Women’s Team For Celebrating Tie With Portugal
"The cheering, the dancing — I’ve got a problem with that because I wouldn’t be happy," the Fox Sports analyst said of her former team's behavior.

... “I have never witnessed something like that,” Lloyd said on Fox.

“There’s a difference between being respectful of the fans and saying hello to your family, but to be dancing, to be smiling — I mean, the player of the match was that post,” said Lloyd, who retired from soccer in 2021. “You’re lucky to not be going home right now.” ...
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:26 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:19 am
Glad I didn't stay up for that. :roll:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/uswnt-adva ... 02742.html
Agreed.
... it’s increasingly clear that the gap has closed; that the USWNT are one of eight or nine contenders, rather than one of one favorite.
:think:
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:49 pm
Women's World Cup
WEEK 2: 4-7. Cumulative: 9-14, could be worse. :|

Knocked out:
Vietnam (GD -12!)
Ireland
Costa Rica (GD -7)
Zambia (GD -10! -8)
Panama (GD -8). Central America is done.
New Zealand :(
Philippines
Canada :(
Portugal
China :thumbup:
Haiti :(

Italy
Argentina
Brasil
Germany
Korea Republic

Advance:
Spain
Japan (GD +11!)
Sweden
Colombia
Switzerland
Norway
Australia :D
Nigeria
Netherlands (GD
+8) :thumbup:
US :thumbup:
England (GD
+7)
Denmark
South Africa
France
Jamaica
Morocco

8 Europe
3 Africa
1 Asia
Australia
1 Caribbean
1 North America
1 South America

WEEK 3

Go futbol:

Tue, 8/1
Vietnam vs Netherlands, 3:00 AM EDT. I don't want to root against Vietnam, but Netherlands could knock the USWNT out. :problem:
0-7! Netherlands wins Group E 7-5.

GO:
My guesses are wishes based on a variety of positive and negative prejudices, not in any way informed predictions.

Sun, 7/30
Opps, I would have picked host New Zealand > Switzerland, but I don't hate Switzerland. 0-0
Opps, I would have picked Philippines > Norway in order to help New Zealand. 0-6 :thumbdown:
Switzerland wins Group A. Norway beats out New Zealand for 2nd on a 5-0 GD. :(

Mon, 7/31
Spain > Japan, 3:00 AM EDT. Both advance, regardless.
0-4 :thumbdown: . Wow, Japan is for real, wins 3 games and the group!
Costa Rica > Zambia. Both have been knocked out, regardless. 3:00 AM EDT, first I've seen same start times :headscratch: . I wonder which game most will watch? ;)
1-3. Good for Zambia, the lowest ranked team in the WC. 1st ever WC win.
Australia > Canada, 6:00 AM EDT. Sorry, O Really, but I want the locals to stay excited, especially with New Zealand knocked out.
4-0 :clap: . Matildas even win the group :thumbup: . Canada is edged by Nigeria :thumbdown: .
Ireland > Nigeria, 6:00 AM EDT. Another doubled up kickoff time. :headscratch: 0-0 :thumbdown:

Tue, 8/1
USA > Portugal, 3:00 AM EDT, but I don't hate Portugal.
0-0, US barely edges Portugal into Group E #2 5-4. Historic nemesis Sweden may be too tough.
England > China, 7:00 AM EDT.
6-1 :clap: . England, 9 points, is for real.
Denmark > Haiti, 7:00 AM EDT. Poor Haiti, but I want to make sure that China is knocked out. 2-0

Wed, 8/2
Sweden > Argentina, 3:00 AM EDT. Sweden has already advanced, but I want to see South Africa advance. I don't hate Argentina. 2-0 :thumbup: 9 points.
South Africa > Italy, 3:00 AM EDT. Seriously, what's with the simultaneous game times all of a sudden, especially when both matter to the same teams? South Africa overcame an own goal and a 1-2 Italy lead to win with a goal in the 90th minute, 3-2! It edged Italy 4-3 on points for 2nd in Group G. 2nd African team to advance. :clap:
Panama > France, 6:00 AM EDT. Not likely, but I want to give Jamaica the best chance to advance. Nope, 3-6 :| Takes 1st in Group F.
Jamaica > Brazil, 6:00 AM EDT. 0-0, Brasil absolutely dominated the game except for the Jamaican goalie - 17 saves!!!
https://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/womens- ... -13281442/
Jamaica edges Brasil 5-4 on points. Jah rules!

Thu, 8/3
Korea Republic > Germany, 6:00 AM EDT. Go Morocco. 1-1, good enough.
Morocco > Colombia, 6:00 AM EDT. 1-0
Colombia, the sole surviving South American team, still wins Group H with a GD of
+2. Morocco's is the worst of any team that advanced at -4. Knocked out Germany's GD is the best in the Group at +5 :crazy: .
Morocco is the 3rd African team to move on. :thumbup:

1-4, ut-oh.
4-4, that's better.
6-5, my first lead since early in Week 1.
7-5 :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Women's World Cup
WEEK 2: 4-7.
WEEK 3: 7-5
Cumulative: 16-19, close.

8 Europe
3 Africa
1 Asia
Australia
1 Caribbean
1 North America
1 South America

Round of 16 knockout:

Go futbol:

Sat, 8/5
Switzerland (1) vs Spain (2), 1:00 AM EDT
Japan (1) vs Norway (2), 4:00 AM EDT
Netherlands (1) vs South Africa (2), 10:00 PM EDT, historically interesting match.

Sun, 8/6
Sweden (1) vs USA (2), 5:00 AM EDT

Mon, 8/7
England (1) vs Nigeria (2), 3:30 AM EDT, historically interesting match.

GO:

Mon, 8/7
Host Australia (1) > Denmark (2), 6:30 AM EDT, GoMatildasGo.

Tue, 8/8
Jamaica (1) > Colombia (2), 4:00 AM EDT, Go Reggae Girlz Go!
Morocco (2) > France (1), 7:00 AM EDT, historically interesting match.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 pm
Women's World Cup

8 Europe 1-2
3 Africa!
1 Asia 1-0
Australia
1 Caribbean
1 North America
1 South America

Round of 16 knockout:

Go futbol:

Sat, 8/5
1-2 Spain . . . 17 minutes into the game. Exciting! 1-4 at halftime. Rout! 1-5, so much for seeding. Tbh, Switzerland was kind of a surprise in the Group Stage.
Netherlands (1) vs South Africa (2), 10:00 PM EDT, historically interesting match.

Sun, 8/6

Mon, 8/7

GO:

Sat, 8/5
Japan (1) > Norway (2), 4:00 AM EDT
BEFORE the game I decided that I wanted Asia to continue in the WC. Europe has plenty of teams, so many that two played each other today.
1-1 after 20 minutes, both goals having been scored by Norway. Opps. 3-1 finish. :thumbup: Japan is now 4-0, including beating Spain 4-0 :shock: . It's a team to beat.

Mon, 8/7

Tue, 8/8
1-0
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Women's World Cup

8 Europe 3-2
3 Africa! 0-1
1 Asia 1-0
Australia
1 Caribbean
1 North America 0-1, knocked out
1 South America

Round of 16 knockout:

Go futbol:

Sat, 8/5
1-2 Spain . . . 17 minutes into the game. Exciting! 1-4 at halftime. Rout! 1-5, so much for seeding. Tbh, Switzerland was kind of a surprise in the Group Stage.
Colonizers 2, colonized 0.

Sun, 8/6
0(5)-0(4) in 7 PK rounds. Wow, thaaat close. I'm glad I went back to bed before OT. Their goalie had a helluva regular time game. "worst World Cup finish ever" for the USWNT. :(

Mon, 8/7

GO:

Sat, 8/5
BEFORE the game I decided that I wanted Asia to continue in the WC. Europe has plenty of teams, so many that two played each other today.
1-1 after 20 minutes, both goals having been scored by Norway. Opps. 3-1 finish. :thumbup: Japan is now 4-0, including beating Spain 4-0 :shock: . It's a team to beat.

Mon, 8/7

Tue, 8/8
1-0
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don't Messi with Miami.
Lionel Messi leads Miami in stunning rally to beat FC Dallas

Lionel Messi scored a pair of vintage goals to lead Inter Miami CF in a stunning comeback win over FC Dallas in the Leagues Cup on Sunday in Frisco, Texas.

The World Cup winner scored Miami's first and last goals in a chaotic match at Toyota Stadium that ended 4-4 in regulation before netting his spot kick in the shootout to help send his team through to the quarterfinals....

The seven-time Ballon d'Or winner and World Cup champion for Argentina has scored in all four matches for Inter Miami, with seven goals total.
:crazy: Wiki:
The Ballon d'Or (lit. 'Golden Ball') is an annual football award presented by French news magazine France Football since 1956.... The Ballon d’Or is generally regarded as football’s most prestigious and valuable individual award....
Back to the article:
FC Dallas had gone ahead 4-2 on Robert Taylor's own goal in the 68th minute, but Dallas gave an own goal right back in the 80th minute. Marco Farfan put a header into his own net on a cross from Messi on a free kick from outside the left corner of the penalty box....

The victory in the round of 16 sends Inter Miami into the Leagues Cup quarterfinals -- to be played at (Fort Lauderdale) Stadium on Aug. 11 -- against the winner of Monday night's game between Charlotte FC and Houston Dynamo.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

USWNT defense was not the issue. 3 shutouts in 4 games, 1 goal allowed in the other game.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:15 am
Sun, 8/6
0(5)-0(4) in 7 PK rounds. Wow, thaaat close. I'm glad I went back to bed before OT. Their goalie had a helluva regular time game. "worst World Cup finish ever" for the USWNT. :(
Sweden's goalie is awesome.
Sweden coach: Mušović saves psyched out U.S. stars in shootout

... Mušović was crucial in her side's victory at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, pulling off a series of stunning saves to deny the USWNT, which dominated much of the game but couldn't score in regulation or extra time as it finished 0-0.

In the penalty shootout, which Sweden won 5-4, Mušović didn't need to make a single save. Megan Rapinoe and Sophia Smith both saw their attempts sail over the bar -- the latter of which would have won the game for the U.S. had it found the net.
After the first 5 rounds it becomes sudden death. Both sides missed in round 6. Sophia Smith was the newcomer hero in Game 1 vs Vietnam, scoring 2 of the team's 3 goals.
When Kelley O'Hara's penalty hit the post, it allowed Sweden's Lina Hurtig to kick her side into the quarterfinals, with the ball crossing the line by a razor-thin margin.

"When you come to a penalty shootout, it's the goalkeeper's game," Gerhardsson said. "[Mušović] likes when it comes to penalties, she knows it's her game. I don't know what she did, what mental thing that she did to make them put them over the bar and things like that. But I think goalkeepers like these kinds of penalties, they're mentally prepared, that's their game.
:bs: I hated shootouts. We lose almost every shot.
"She was good in the game. Even if she didn't save any penalties, I think for the other team, maybe they put it outside because they know that if it's not a good penalty, maybe she takes it."

Mušović, who plays for WSL giants Chelsea, made a total of 11 saves across the evening, a single-game World Cup record for a goalkeeper who kept a clean sheet.
:-|| By comparison, the USWNT's Alyssa Naeher made 1 save in 4 WC games.
... The Americans also ended their tournament on a 238-minute scoring drought, their longest in Women's World Cup history.
:(
... Mušović was named player of the match, and teammate Magdalena Eriksson said there's little doubt her performance will be long remembered. Among the highlights were a block of a Trinity Rodman shot in the 27th minute, a split-second reaction to deny a Lindsey Horan effort in the 53rd and a last-gasp deflection of an Alex Morgan header in the 89th.

"It's gonna be historical," Eriksson said. "Finally she gets to prove what she can do on the world's biggest stage. We all know she had this in her and now she could finally prove it....
:clap:
USWNT's Megan Rapinoe rues ending World Cup career with penalty miss

... And what was going through her mind after she missed?

"A sick joke," Rapinoe said. "That's why I had that smile on my face. Like, 'You got to be f---ing kidding me. I'm going to miss the penalty?' I honestly can't remember the last time I missed a penalty. Not in a game for a very long time.

"But that's the way it goes. I've definitely thought about that before -- it's always a possibility when you step up there. But I thought I was going to make it. I thought everyone was going to make it."

Rapinoe correctly remembered that her last missed penalty for club or country came in 2018, when goalkeeper Aubrey Kingsbury made a save against her in the NWSL.
:shock: How many made, reporter?
... Rapinoe made her USWNT debut in 2006 and was part of the World Cup-winning squads in 2015 and 2019.

"I feel so lucky and so grateful to play as long as I have and been on as many successful teams as I have, and be a part of a very special generation that has done so much on and off the field," Rapinoe said. "It would be hard to feel disappointed in any type of way.

"Obviously there's the immediate disappointment of being out of the tournament, but I'm OK. I'm ready in a lot of ways to be done and I feel at peace with that."

Rapinoe was moved to tears when asked to reflect on her World Cup.

"I've loved every bit of my career," she said. "I'll miss it to death, but it also feels like the right time and that's OK."

"It's some dark humor, me missing the penalty at the end of this game," she added, laughing.
:-|| :-|| :-||

Alex Morgan is 34. Will she be back in 2027? Rapinoe is 38, but few are in the WC at that age. She was the oldest US player by 3 years.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Women's World Cup

8 Europe 4-3
3 Africa! 0-2
1 Asia 1-0
Australia 1-0
1 Caribbean
1 South America

Round of 16 knockout:

Go futbol:

Sat, 8/5

Sun, 8/6

Mon, 8/7
:roll: Another 0-0 shootout. England advances 4-2 on penalties. Colonizers win again. England is now 4-0. Go O Really's Mum Go.

GO:

Sat, 8/5

Mon, 8/7
2-0 :clap: :clap: :clap: The Matildas are now 3-1, losing only to Nigeria.

Tue, 8/8
1-0
2-0
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Women's World Cup

8 Europe 5-3
3 Africa! 0-3, knocked out :(
1 Asia 1-0
Australia 1-0
1 Caribbean 0-1, knocked out :(
1 South America 1-0

Round of 16 knockout:

Go futbol:

Sat, 8/5

Sun, 8/6

Mon, 8/7
:roll: Another 0-0 shootout. England advances 4-2 on penalties. Colonizers win again. England is now 4-0. Go O Really's Mum Go.

GO:

Sat, 8/5

Mon, 8/7
2-0 :clap: :clap: :clap: The Matildas are now 3-1, losing only to Nigeria.

Tue, 8/8
Underdogs fail. :doh:
Jamaica (2) > Colombia (1), 4:00 AM EDT, Go Reggae Girlz Go!
0-1 :(
0-4 rout :thumbdown: . Colonizers 3-0, Manifest Destiny.
1-0
2-2
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Women's World Cup
Knockout: 2-2
Cumulative: 18-21, close.

5 Europe
1 Asia
Australia
1 South America

Quarterfinals, GO:

Thu, 8/10
Netherlands (1) > Spain (2), 9:00 PM EDT, but I don't hate Spain.

Fri, 8/11, 3:30 AM EDT
Japan (1) > Sweden (1), 3:30 AM EDT. Clash of 4-0 teams. Asia doing well will be good for the sport, but I don't hate Sweden.

Sat, 8/12
Australia (1) > France (1), 3:00 AM EDT. GO Matildas all the way!
England (1, 4-0) > Colombia (1), 6:30 AM EDT. Go O Really's Mum Go!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:09 am
Women's World Cup

5 Europe 2-1
1 Asia 0-1, knocked out
Australia
1 South America

Quarterfinals, GO:

Thu, 8/10
Netherlands (1) > Spain (2), 9:00 PM EDT, but I don't hate Spain. 1-2 Spain in OT on a beautiful pass, run and shot, exciting. Good for them, the only #2 seed still alive.

Japan (1) > Sweden (1), 3:30 AM EDT. Clash of 4-0 teams. Asia doing well will be good for the sport, but I don't hate Sweden. 1-2 Sweden. Good for them. USWNT looks a little bit better.

Go Spain (2) > Sweden (1).

Sat, 8/12
0-2
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:09 am
Women's World Cup

5 Europe 3-2
1 Asia 0-1, knocked out
Australia 1-0, SEMIS!
1 South America 0-1, knocked out

Quarterfinals, GO:

Thu, 8/10
Netherlands (1) > Spain (2), 9:00 PM EDT, but I don't hate Spain. 1-2 Spain in OT on a beautiful pass, run and shot, exciting. Good for them, the only #2 seed still alive.

Japan (1) > Sweden (1), 3:30 AM EDT. Clash of 4-0 teams. Asia doing well will be good for the sport, but I don't hate Sweden. 1-2 Sweden. Good for them. USWNT looks a little bit better.

Go Spain (2) > Sweden (1).

Sat, 8/12
:roll: Another 0-0 shootout. The Matilda goalie was sorely tested to get the shutout. She had 5 excellent saves. Then, another 3 nice saves in the shutout, including one on a re-kick due to her having been off the line, plus one hitting the post: 7-6 on 10! shots each, longest shootout in WC history, male or female. Ain't that something?! 1st time a host won a women's shootout. Game was played in Brisbane. 1st time ever that Australia has reached the semis.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

2-1 :clap: I think it's the first time that now 5-0 England has made the Semis. Alessia Russo - winning goal at minute 63. She was a Tar Heel. Go O Really family Go.
0-2
2-2

Ideas for increasing scoring:
Larger goal.
Sudden death OT.
Offsides tweak.
Corner kicks tweak.
Been kicking around for years, change unlikely anytime soon.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:41 am
Don't Messi with Miami.

Lionel Messi leads Miami in stunning rally to beat FC Dallas

He was a good get.

Lionel Messi scores again as Miami reaches Leagues Cup semifinals

"eighth goal in five games since his arrival" :-|| He also helps his teammates score by being such a constant threat. MLS teams will be energetically pursuing more foreign players before next season.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Women's World Cup
Quarterfinals: 2-2
Cumulative: 20-23, close.

3 Europe
Host Australia
Go Southern Hemisphere!

Semis, GO:

8/15, 4:00 AM
Spain (2) > Sweden (1, 5-0), but I don't hate Sweden.

8/16, 6:00 AM - Cool, I can get up for that.
Host Australia (1) > England (1, 5-0), historically interesting match. GO Matildas all the way!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 am
Women's World Cup
Quarterfinals: 2-2
Cumulative: 20-23, close.

3 Europe 1-1
Host Australia
Go Southern Hemisphere!

Semis, GO:

8/15, 4:00 AM
Spain (2) > Sweden (1, 5-0), but I don't hate Sweden.
Goals:
Spain 81'
Sweden 88'
Spain 89'
:thumbup: Cinderella!
Spain beat Sweden to reach first WWC final after wild finish

8/16, 6:00 AM - Cool, I can get up for that.
Host Australia (1) > England (1, 5-0), historically interesting match. GO Matildas all the way!
1312. ETTD.