The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:04 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 pm
Not bad. I think I paid $275 or so for Elton John last year.
Where in the stadium were you?
214, I think. Two hundred something good view slightly from the side.
Is that a mid-level tier like in Atlanta? If so, comparable seats for the Stones are still available for $200 or so.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah that looks comparable

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 am
The only stuff Hall and Oates ever did that I sort of liked was their "Abandoned Luncheonette" record from 73. It had a couple of good songs. "She's Gone" was pretty good, and "Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" as well. I never much liked them after that.
I always liked Sara Smile as well.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:37 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:14 pm
My daughter told me about a month ago that the Stones are playing in Atlanta in April. She figures on us going but I'm not sure I will.
I pretty much gave up on old rockers long ago. I got disappointed too many times. Santana was an exception and he put on a helluva show.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium has a typical concert capacity of around 58k, but Ed Sheeran performed to a record crowd of 76,335 fans in May. The currently cheapest tickets on StubHub, nose bleed with clear views, are $67. Not terrible. Please let us know how it was if you do go.
The last big concert I went to was Crosby, Stills, and Nash in Oakland in 78. The wife and I went to a few small events in Asheville but all those were over tweenty years ago.....Delbert McClinton at some place on Biltmore Ave on the same side of the street as Orange Peel but just up from them. Another one at 45 Cherry to see Omar and the Howlers (we got our picture taken with Omar during a break). The last event I saw was David Grisman Quintet at the Orange Peel. Only time I was ever there; it sucked....no place to sit other than the floor.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

.Oomba. wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:00 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 am
The only stuff Hall and Oates ever did that I sort of liked was their "Abandoned Luncheonette" record from 73. It had a couple of good songs. "She's Gone" was pretty good, and "Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" as well. I never much liked them after that.
I always liked Sara Smile as well.
:thumbup: Oh, yeah, I'd forgot about that one.

O Really
Admiral

Some bands stay good even when getting old, and some lose a lot. I saw CSN way more recent that '78 and Crosby was awful - couldn't hit the notes, couldn't carry a tune. I don't know what the Stones concert would be like, but I'm guessing they wouldn't go touring if they weren't able to put on a show like the fans expect. And interestingly enough, some tribute bands are as good as the originals used to be.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War ... istmas_Jam

Is this still an event in Asheville?

The Warren Haynes Christmas Jam

Curated and presented by Grammy Award-winning vocalist-songwriter and revered guitarist Warren Haynes, the Christmas Jam is a one-of-a-kind music marathon.[1][2] Since its inception in 1988, the concert has provided an opportunity for the performing artists, audience and the local community to give back during the holiday season. Over the past 18 years, Haynes - an Asheville native - has worked closely with the Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity.

The first show was dubbed, "The Christmas Jam: Musician's X-Mas Reunion" and was held at 45 Cherry, a local club in Asheville, on December 22, 1988. This event has continued to grow every year and is now dubbed "Warren Haynes Presents: The Christmas Jam". The show sells out in a matter of hours every year. Because of the fantastic growth, it is currently held at the U.S. Cellular Center (formerly known as the Asheville Civic Center),
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:06 am
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War ... istmas_Jam

Is this still an event in Asheville?

The Warren Haynes Christmas Jam

Curated and presented by Grammy Award-winning vocalist-songwriter and revered guitarist Warren Haynes, the Christmas Jam is a one-of-a-kind music marathon.[1][2] Since its inception in 1988, the concert has provided an opportunity for the performing artists, audience and the local community to give back during the holiday season. Over the past 18 years, Haynes - an Asheville native - has worked closely with the Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity.

The first show was dubbed, "The Christmas Jam: Musician's X-Mas Reunion" and was held at 45 Cherry, a local club in Asheville, on December 22, 1988. This event has continued to grow every year and is now dubbed "Warren Haynes Presents: The Christmas Jam". The show sells out in a matter of hours every year. Because of the fantastic growth, it is currently held at the U.S. Cellular Center (formerly known as the Asheville Civic Center),
Yep. You missed it.
https://www.xmasjam.com/

Slash - lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses
Billy Gibbons - guitarist and primary vocalist of ZZ Top
Gov't Mule - formed in 1994 as a side project of the Allman Brothers Band
Jason Bonham - son of late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham. Since his father's death in September 1980, he has performed with the surviving three members of Led Zeppelin on several occasions
Clutch - rock band from Germantown, Maryland. Homies!

Not bad. I've never been.

Harrah's Cherokee Center
Capacity 7,674 (ExploreAsheville.com Arena). It sold out.

Handy trick: When a Wiki page is dated like your link is (updated 2018), check the "External links" to see if the subject activity is still current.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Got it
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

Stinger wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

With The Hot Band. Why does that have to be so long ago? I feel really old now.
Bring back Stinger!

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

You guys have had a music thread since 2013.

Kudos for that.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm
Bungalow Bill wrote:And if paying back the debt of Celine ever ends, it will be time
to take up the Rush debt. This is going to go on for some time. :think:
A very long time. Don't forget the Beib. (Hey, there's no hurling emoticon.)
We miss ya

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

.Oomba. wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:36 am

Kudos for that.
Waiting all these years for your input.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stinger, come home!
.Oomba. wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:36 am

Kudos for that.
Thanks, with 1653 Replies and 100459 Views :crazy: BRD wasn't even launched until late 2012, so we got around to it early.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

We watched the 4-part series "Willie Nelson and Family" on Paramount and highly recommend it. Lots of music, interviews, and clips.
https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/wil ... nd-family/

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

TIL

Hail Satin

As an aside, the Bee Gees actually turned out some good and sophisticated music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DeaXf1FzE

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

But why the bathrobe?