The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jan ... 58445.html

"Rolling Stone magazine founder Jann Wenner said that Black and female musicians “didn’t articulate at the level” of the white musicians featured in his new book of interviews, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that he has been removed from its board of directors.

“Jann Wenner has been removed from the Board of Directors of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation,” a terse statement from a rep reads in full; contacted by Variety, a rep for the Hall had no further comment."

wow - "Black and female musicians “didn’t articulate at the level” of the white musicians"
He's apologized, sort of. Maybe White male whiner Wenner doesn't understand the nuances of Black and female musician articulation.
... The comments came about after Times writer Dave Marchese asked why Wenner had not included any people of color or female musicians in “The Masters,” which features interviews with white, male musicians including Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townshend and U2’s Bono, all of whom Rolling Stone had long celebrated when it was under Wenner’s editorial direction....
Inexcusable, IMO.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Blue Ridge Rock fest in Virginia, a complete disaster (I didn't attend thankfully)

https://www.wdbj7.com/2023/09/12/wdbj7- ... rs-strike/

Also, in regards to weather, it seems stupid to book a festival, in the southeast, during the end of summer when we get smacked by intense thunderstorms almost every evening.

Most of the festivals I've been to were in early spring.
ALTON, Va. (WDBJ) - A strike ended the music at Blue Ridge Rock Fest, but it may not have been from lightning.

WDBJ7 is investigating what some are calling the ‘nightmare’ Blue Ridge Rock Festival (BRRF), and what led to its cancelation.

The organizers stated they canceled the festival because of the weather. But some people are saying that’s not the full story.

WDBJ7 has received hundreds of emails and social media messages from festival-goers asking us to look into why the fest was canceled for weather after it was already hit by storms.

Stagehands who worked the festival told WDBJ7 they walked out on Saturday because of poor working conditions.

“By them [organizers] blaming it on weather, it made us feel like that they were putting the rug over the real problem of what was going on,” one stagehand said.

Several stagehands from Blue Ridge Rock Festival are speaking out about why they left, and how the festival was canceled shortly after the strike. To protect their identities and jobs, WDBJ7 has omitted their names from this story after verifying their employment and experience.

“There was absolutely nothing set in preparation for our arrival,” a stagehand said. “No showers, no toilets, no fencing that was expected to be there, and a lot of it didn’t start showing up until right at dusk.”

Stagehands say these issues started ten days before the actual festival began when workers first arrived at Virginia International Raceway. They say from the beginning, the showers were not functional and living conditions were unsanitary.

Workers claim more than 150 workers were forced to share six porta-potties for the two weeks of festival preparation and during the actual event. They say the porta-potties were only cleaned out every few days.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:00 pm
Anyone want to bet she doesn't make 50?

Britney Spears' knife-dancing video sparks wellness check by Ventura County sheriff's deputy
Meh.
... In a follow-up post, the pop musician explained Tuesday that she was "copying Shakira" — who just performed with knives at the Video Music Awards — and urged everyone to "lighten up about the knives." ...
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A3Su31e9SE8 :-||

Britney might approach Shakira's hotness if she put on MORE clothes.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:-||

All due credit to the amazing Taylor Swift, but it seems to me that even before the Kelce drama I'd seen 10 times as many articles and videos about TayTay's tour and her Swifties as I had about the Beyhive and the apparently MORE successful Queen Bey.

Is it my mistaken impression, media racism, political bias (liberal T vs radical B), better Swift promotion (see Kelce), or is something else going on?

Speaking of music and politics:
Maren Morris Names The Trump-Related Reason She’s Leaving Country Music
"If you truly love this type of music and you start to see problems arise, it needs to be criticized," said the Grammy-winning singer.

Maren Morris says a lot of the ugliness “on full display” following Donald Trump’s presidency pushed her to leave country music.

“It just revealed who people really were and that they were proud to be misogynistic and racist and homophobic and transphobic,” the Grammy-winning singer-songwriter told the Los Angeles Times in an interview published last week. “All these things were being celebrated, and it was weirdly dovetailing with this hyper-masculine branch of country music. I call it butt rock.”

Morris, who has advocated for Black and LGBTQ artists in the genre, said she plans to part ways with the country music industry because of its failure to become more accessible and to tackle its history of racism and misogyny.

The singer has criticized a number of figures in the genre. Last year, she slammed Jason Aldean’s wife, Brittany Aldean, over transphobic remarks, and this year took a jab at the country artist himself over his controversial song “Try That in a Small Town.”

“I thought I’d like to burn it to the ground and start over,” she told the LA Times. “But it’s burning itself down without my help.”

... She described Aldean’s song, which has faced backlash and been accused of being “pro-lynching,” as “a last bastion.”

“People are streaming these songs out of spite. It’s not out of true joy or love of the music. It’s to own the libs. And that’s so not what music is intended for,” she said. “Music is supposed to be the voice of the oppressed — the actual oppressed. And now it’s being used as this really toxic weapon in culture wars.”
Wow :clap: . I hope 33 year old Morris is switching to pop, lesbian emo, R&B, protest folk, death metal :) , whatever, rather than retiring. Ditching country sure worked out well for TayTay.
Edit: Wiki already lists her genres as: "Country, country pop, pop, R&B, hip-hop".

If I was more of a fan I would grab some popcorn and closely follow the RW's inevitable whiny, victimized denial and outrage :violin: . Stay tuned for death threats and getting run out of Nashville.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:28 am

All due credit to the amazing Taylor Swift, but it seems to me that even before the Kelce drama I'd seen 10 times as many articles and videos about TayTay's tour and her Swifties as I had about the Beyhive and the apparently MORE successful Queen Bey.

Is it my mistaken impression, media racism, political bias (liberal T vs radical B), better Swift promotion (see Kelce), or is something else going on?

Maybe you, like me, have auto-screening when you read stuff. To some degree, I only "see" things I might be interested in. Beyonce's a great talent and star, but I'm not a fan a probably wouldn't notice an article about her.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I don't have any Taylor Swift or Beyonce music. So far, i've not noticed any disadvantage in that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Looks like any competition is all in my head. Eras Tour film premier:

2009 VMAs:

:-|| :-||
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:05 pm

2009 VMAs:

I learned today that Taylor sang at our local sausage festival when she was 11.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:05 pm

2009 VMAs:

Where's Travis Kelce?

And his mom? :roll:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:12 pm
I really really hope that you mean actual sausages. :o
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:51 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I really really hope that you mean actual sausages. :o

https://g.co/kgs/sFLFMt

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:26 pm
Where's Travis Kelce?

And his mom? :roll:
:D He had practice for tonight's game vs the Broncos. Looks like it worked out for him - 7 catches for 109 yards, leading all receivers in a 13-0 game, at halftime! Don't fret, though, the lovebirds have the postgame:
Taylor Swift attends Broncos vs. Chiefs on Thursday night

... Whether or not you're in favor of the hype train that accompanies a Swift appearance, it would be remiss not to acknowledge the commitment required to follow-up a world premiere with an Arrowhead outing on back-to-back nights....
Donna will presumably leave the couple at some point ;) . I think she still lives in Ohio, which is even closer to Jason's Philly games.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It never ends. Woodstock, The Song Remains the Same, The Last Waltz, Stop Making Sense, Monterey Pop, Gimme Shelter ...?

Nope.
Spoiler:
'Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ is already the highest-grossing concert film in the U.S.
People were shaking it off in theaters.

... The pop superstar, who sold out stadiums around the country, is now dominating the box office with her concert film, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour."

The movie amassed $92.8 million during its opening weekend in the United States and Canada, making it the highest-grossing domestic concert film ever ...
:shock:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
She's now a billionaire, net worth $1.1 billion :crazy: I credit her sausage festival launch :D Jay-Z, Rihanna and Sir Paul have more, but still.

This likely makes her wealthier than Dolt .45.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Well damn.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:15 am
Well damn.

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/sta ... 4572533064
:-|| :-|| :-|| Princus wept.

Where did the guitar land?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:34 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Well damn.

Oprah got it on the hand-off

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2018 ... ntly-weeps#

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:10 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:34 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Well damn.

Oprah got it on the hand-off

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2018 ... ntly-weeps#
:lol: That's brilliant, thanks. It didn't occur to me that he tossed it forward to the front row. It looked like it went straight up, "seemingly into the void" as the article says. Ah, now I see:
... After he tosses the guitar and just before he exits the stage with his Princely confidence, you can see him cast a quick glance in the direction of his faithful and beloved guitar tech....
1312. ETTD.