The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Bungalow Bill wrote:I guess my taste in music changed a bit or sometimes a group just drops off
the radar for no particular reason. I still listened to some AC/DC and Led
Zeppelin at the time, but I gradually phased out metal for the most part.
Pentagram sounds slighly familiar, but I never really heard much about them.

Paranoid wasn't too bad, but it's not my favorite Sabbath record. Despite
all the drama, Courtney Love/Hole is a good band, a little more on the alternative
side, but still some great rock stuff.
My girlfriend used to listen to the shit out of Hole to the point where it became incredibly annoying. At the time I couldn't stand them. Now I actually like them.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Yeah, it can be a pain sometimes when people get on a kick and
listen to the same things over and over again, even a good band.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They're not metal, but they definitely rock - Heart is playing at Biltmore the end of July. I've got mine, but there may not be any tickets left by now.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I have Clairy Brown and the Bangin' Rackettes record "Baby Caught the Bus" on the way.....she's the girl with the big hair on the Heiniken commercial that's singing that Love Letter song as the bar transforms into a classier place (she's sort of an Amy Winehouse lookalike in the ad). Also Delbert McClinton / Gene Clark band "Blind, Crippled, and Crazy will be in the same box. I get these from Acoustic Sounds online store.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

That reminds me of the joke Lennon made at the end of the Let It Be movie,
I'd like to thank you on behalf of the band and myself, and I hope we passed the
audition. The lyrics aren't going go help either.

Sabbath at #1. Oh no, please God help me. That pact with the devil finally paid
off.

O Really
Admiral

I was a big Sabbath fan back in the day. I remember playing "Paranoid" and particularly "Iron Man" on my "hi-tech" reel-to-reel and then cassette Pioneer equipment with speakers three feet high. Went really well with Mexican weed, Coors (when there was "only enough for the West") or Lone Star, and fun-loving South Texas girls.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:I was a big Sabbath fan back in the day. I remember playing "Paranoid" and particularly "Iron Man" on my "hi-tech" reel-to-reel and then cassette Pioneer equipment with speakers three feet high. Went really well with Mexican weed, Coors (when there was "only enough for the West") or Lone Star, and fun-loving South Texas girls.
Yeah, I know what you mean; having grown up in TN, it was nice to have a friend who's sister was an airline stewardess. She got the Coors for us.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

True enough. Back to music.......Snowden was over last night but all he wanted to listen to was some sort of techno-boogie type stuff that I just couldn't hardly stand. He left after about two hours; said he can't stay too long in one place. Weird.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:
[color=#BF0000]Vrede[/color] wrote:
JTA wrote:Any of you guys Black Sabbath fans?

I was, long ago.

Have you listened to their the newest album, "13"?...
No, I've been disappointed by old rockers so often that I rarely give them a try anymore. Carlos Santana stands out as a huge exception.
Black Sabbath tops US charts for first time in four decades

Maybe our ears are just too old. :(
Black Sabbath lives on in these guys:

Other notable mentions:
Heretic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ6eZ4wGiJ0
Loving Hand of God: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BOuj597VE

Some of Orchid's songs sound like they're trying too hard to be BS, but for the most part they're a pretty good band. Definitely one of my favorite newer bands. I'll be keeping tabs on these guys.

Way better than "13"!

O Really
Admiral

Nobody has mentioned AC/DC - one of my favorites. Have they been victims of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"? Or Metallica?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:
[color=#BF0000]Vrede[/color] wrote:
JTA wrote:Any of you guys Black Sabbath fans?

I was, long ago.

Have you listened to their the newest album, "13"?...
No, I've been disappointed by old rockers so often that I rarely give them a try anymore. Carlos Santana stands out as a huge exception.
Black Sabbath tops US charts for first time in four decades

Maybe our ears are just too old. :(
I've been on a classic rock binge for the past year. I can't stand most of this new garbage. The radio is a complete wasteland when it comes to discovering new rock music.

Do any of you guys listen to 93.3 the planet? I know most of you are up in NC, I'm assuming you get that station up there. We've got a real shitty selection of radio stations down here in Upstate SC. 93.3 and 101.1 are the only two rock stations that I know of. 93.3 is probably by far the worst rock station I've ever listened to. The only time they're somewhat tolerable is when they have 90's throwback weekends, even then they still suck.

Man I really cannot stand newer rock. I'm no musical expert, but to me most all of it is comparable to a lot of those cheap dime-a-dozen pop artists, i.e. Britney Spears. None of the instruments take a prominent role in the song structure and only serve as melody-less background noise to vocals which only function as decoration. They're just all over the place. I'll see if I can dig up some shitty new rock songs to show you what I mean.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about. This is probably even worse than BS's "13": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKRKO-y6wlo

Holy shit this is even worse. Youtube suggested I give it a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLb4tK7KxmU

Damn that's bad! Is that even rock/metal? What kind of music is that? Why do these bands use sentences as their band names?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

JTA's Rules for rock. Lesson #1:
Rule #1) If a band uses a sentence or prepositional phrase as their name, they probably suck.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Hey, now, JTA. I can get into Five Finger Death Punch, though i don't always like the sound. They're very anti-war and critical of corrupt capitalism. You've got to understand that some of these new bands are sending a message in a way the youngsters understand. Another example, System of a Down.

Yes, I listen to 93.3. Some of it makes me cringe ( think Beastie Boys), but no worse than Springsteen or Stevie Nicks, and I prefer listening to satellite. 93.3 gives me Shinedown, Sublime, Chili Peppers, Metallica .....

Give me Tool or Avenged Sevenfold all day long. Classic rock, as played on 101, only makes me feel old, and I don't need to hear Free Bird for the 5000th time. I do enjoy XM Deep Tracks, stuff you'll never hear on commercial classic rock radio. Reminds me of the old WROQ in Johnson City - remember that, neoplacebo?

When I want to antagonize the hubs, it's head bangin' all the way.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

If I'm taking a short trip to the grocery store, I usually listen to 93.3. They
play some good stuff, Pumpkins, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, etc., even throw
in a little Iron Man. If it's a longer trip, I listen to CDs.

Sublime was a wonderful band, but I bet the record company has released two
or three times the number of CDs that Sublime recorded before Bradley died.
That's show biz.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

k9nanny wrote:I don't need to hear Free Bird for the 5000th time. .

anybody hear go to the Love Valley Pop Festival - I think 1971 - I'm only just now beginning to be able to listen to Tied to the Whipping Post - They were about the only big act and they played whipping post for hours on end
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

what about Pandora?

I've never spent much time with the radio for music (WMNF in Tampa is the only exception), mostly npr for the talk and humor shows, but I have discovered more new artists in 2 years of listening to Pandora than in the past 40+. everytime I hear something interesting, I create a new station and so on and on and on to suprising new artists
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

k9nanny wrote:Reminds me of the old WROQ in Johnson City - remember that, neoplacebo?

I remember WQUT and the Tennessee Midnight Rambler...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

neoplacebo wrote:
k9nanny wrote:Reminds me of the old WROQ in Johnson City - remember that, neoplacebo?

I only hear radio while in the car, but I keep it on 95.7 classic rock station if possible.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

neoplacebo wrote:

Note: I tried to correct myself and got the no-no screen.

Yes, I realized my mistake. WROQ was a decent rock station in Charlotte at the time.
My husband chuckled when I mentioned the TN Midnight Rambler, and he added, "Funky Old Brother Ross." Hee hee.

Later in the seventies, Freedom Hall was our favorite concert venue. Half the fun was the drive over on the old road ... especially when one was in the right state of mind. ;)
Se Non Ora, Quando?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Oh, yes, I remember many tricky voyages between Johnson City and Kingsport, typically from the Chandelier club or the Down Home bar. whew!