Cupcake toppings removed before serving at school.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Cupcake toppings removed before serving at school.

Unread post by bannination »

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/03/08/ ... at-school/

Principle:
“In the climate of recent events in schools we walk a delicate balance in teaching non-violence in our buildings and trying to ensure a safe, peaceful atmosphere. On one hand, there are those who advocate arming teachers, having armed security guards and creating a fortress of defense in our schools. On the other hand, there are those who feel that guns create fear in schools and we need to put solid security measures in place plus practice routines to be prepared in case an emergency should ever occur. Living in a democratic society entails respect for opposing opinions.”

She added that some parents “prohibit all guns as toys,” and “no disrespect” was intended for members of the military, however, “Our commitment is always to our children and creating a safe place for them to learn, grow and have respectful dialogues about their differences.”
After reading what the principle said you can tell she's in a tough situation. I really don't think it was that unreasonable considering the situation, but what do you guys think? I can see both sides, but it seems it's driving the cons mad, they think it's some kind of liberal agenda, but I haven't found anything showing the political leanings of anyone involved.

I'm just surprised the school allows homemade cupcakes at all to be served to classrooms.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Re: Cupcake toppings removed before serving at school.

Unread post by Ombudsman »

I think it's a good example of some guy with too much time on his hands fabricating an issue over nothing just so he can see himself on the TV. Principals have to make decisions based on everyone in the school. The decorations don't even make sense. Why put them on there? They're freaking cupcakes. Oh of course, so you can cry about it when they're removed and pretend you're a victim of the liberal education system.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:Fine with me as long as, in the spirit of the 1st Amendment, they allow 'revolutionary with Molotov cocktail' cupcake figurines, too. ;)

How do the whiners know that the figurines weren't My Lai, Timothy McVeigh or Abu Ghraib soldiers?
The uniforms and equipment.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

The times, they are a changing. We once could have taken little plastic cowboys and Indians, but those are frowned on. Politically correct these days means that you can't allow children to know that guns exist.

Why were they put on in the first place? That was a good question. Was the kid a WW II buff?

I don't find as much fault with this case as I do with a student getting suspended for chewing a Pop Tart in the shape of a gun and going "Bang! Bang!," or a five-year-old girl getting a ten-day suspension, with requisite psych eval, for "threatening" to shoot her classmate with a pink Hello Kitty bubble gun.

I do think administrators are caught in the middle. Imagine if some child had gone home and said, "We played with army men today and then went out and played war and shot each other during recess."

Fox needs something to fill the air between anti-Obama and pro-Tea Party lies.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:
Stinger wrote:
Vrede wrote:Fine with me as long as, in the spirit of the 1st Amendment, they allow 'revolutionary with Molotov cocktail' cupcake figurines, too. ;)

How do the whiners know that the figurines weren't My Lai, Timothy McVeigh or Abu Ghraib soldiers?
The uniforms and equipment.
:?: Timothy McVeigh was the only one not in uniform and with improvised equipment.
I was talking about the difference between WW II uniforms and equipment and Viet Nam or Iraq era uniforms and equipment.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Perfect example of people taking a complex issue and trying to make it black/white simple. Everybody wants an easy answer. Doesn't work that way. Real life requires judgement and analysis of context.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Now the crazies at CPV are e-mailing the principal. What a bunch of lunatics. I wouldn't be surprised if that entire forum was run by the Department of Homeland Security as a way of phishing for homegrown terrorists.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Ombudsman wrote:Now the crazies at CP(F) are e-mailing the principal. What a bunch of lunatics. I wouldn't be surprised if that entire forum was run by the Department of Homeland Security as a way of phishing for homegrown terrorists.
They are judging her by her looks. :lol: What a bunch of tards.

Hypocritical asshats.... maybe they should listen to their gospel music and calm the fuck down.

:evil:

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Personally, this principal strikes me as the cheap, cowardly hack that about 75% of principals usually are. I also agree with Om- this fucker wanted to make the news. This is a chickenshit non-issue, carefully manipulated into a chickenshit local media issue by a numbnuts administrator.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Would have been hell to pay for the principal had one of those little plastic soldiers went berserk and shot up the school.

She was definitely covering her ass.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

homerfobe wrote:Would have been hell to pay for the principal had one of those little plastic soldiers went berserk and shot up the school.

Haha!

http://www.ktnv.com/news/watercooler/194673111.html
7-year-old Josh Welch was eating a Pop-Tart at school. A teacher saw the pastry and said she thought it looked like it was being shaped into a gun.

The teacher also said she heard Welch say, "Bang Bang" while he was holding it.

That was enough to get him suspended.
Damn. When I was a kid we would run around with sticks pretending they were guns and act like we were shooting one another. We called this playing "war", or "cops and robbers". I wish I could go back in time and slap my child self in the face for my insensitivity, and plead with school officials to throw me in juvenile detention for a few years to set me straight.

But alas, the damage has already been done. I'll never be able to undo what years of playing war as a kid has done to me. :(
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

JTA wrote:
homerfobe wrote:Would have been hell to pay for the principal had one of those little plastic soldiers went berserk and shot up the school.

Haha!

7-year-old Josh Welch was eating a Pop-Tart at school. A teacher saw the pastry and said she thought it looked like it was being shaped into a gun.

Damn. When I was a kid we would run around with sticks pretending they were guns and act like we were shooting one another. We called this playing "war", or "cops and robbers". I wish I could go back in time and slap my child self in the face for my insensitivity, and plead with school officials to throw me in juvenile detention for a few years to set me straight.

But alas, the damage has already been done. I'll never be able to undo what years of playing war as a kid has done to me. :(
You forgot to give your child self a psych eval like the kindergarten terrorist girl with the pink Hello Kitty bubble gun got.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede wrote:"Bang Bang" could have meant a different type of "gun".
Obsessed.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Stinger wrote:
JTA wrote:

Haha!

You forgot to give your child self a psych eval like the kindergarten terrorist girl with the pink Hello Kitty bubble gun got.
I just remembered I used to also shoot at those little plastic army men with my BB gun.

My parents should have been thrown in jail for allowing me to be subjected to such violence.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

Partisan62 wrote: a damn lie to ever say that there is no leftist agenda in public schools...
Bullshit.. but it could well be the ravings of a right-wing idiot to insist that there is.. .

Look .. just because educators are not tea-bagging nitwits doesn't mean that they're leftists...
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Partisan62 wrote:It's a damn lie to ever say that there is no leftist agenda in public schools....
It's often said, with more than a little bit of truth, that public schools are tailored to teaching kids to become corporate drones, working 9 to 5, without questioning. In other words, a corporatist, rightist agenda.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Partisan62 wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:I think it's a good example of some guy with too much time on his hands fabricating an issue over nothing just so he can see himself on the TV. Principals have to make decisions based on everyone in the school. The decorations don't even make sense. Why put them on there? They're freaking cupcakes. Oh of course, so you can cry about it when they're removed and pretend you're a victim of the liberal education system.
Pretend? :clap: Rarely see a leftist blaming the victim.

Giving these leftist PC educators an opportunity to look this stupid doesn't mean they have to take it. :crazy:

It's a damn lie to ever say that there is no leftist agenda in public schools....such political correctness as shown in this cupcake story should result in immediate pink slips for any teacher or administrator that was dumb enough to perpetrate such madness.

THAT demonstration of justice would be a great life lesson for these young people.
Now that we've heard from the children's ward...

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

This is the kind of story that is just made for ridicule. But look at it from the standpoint of the teacher or principal - if the rule is that no portrayal of a gun is acceptable (that in some contexts might sound reasonable), then there is no room for the rational distinction between the gun held by the soldier and the gun held by the terrorist or the gun held by the hunter. It's the rule that's ridiculous, not the teacher/principal's effort to comply. "Zero Tolerance" is a concept initiated by idiots, promulgated by idiots, and tolerated by idiots.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Partisan62 wrote: It's a damn lie to ever say that there is no leftist agenda in public schools....
It's a damn lie to say there is. Just because people with brains, educations, common sense, and rational thought think and act differently from you doesn't mean they have a leftist agenda.

There are occasional nitwit outliers, just like in any profession, but the majority of educators go to church on Sundays and raise their kids to follow the rules and grow up responsibly.

Just because educators try to teach actual science instead of make believe doesn't make them liberal -- it makes them rational beings. Other countries around the world don't have a problem teaching science. Only in America.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:
Partisan62 wrote:...Giving these leftist PC educators an opportunity to look this stupid doesn't mean they have to take it. :crazy:

It's a damn lie to ever say that there is no leftist agenda in public schools....such political correctness as shown in this cupcake story should result in immediate pink slips for any teacher or administrator that was dumb enough to perpetrate such madness.

THAT demonstration of justice would be a great life lesson for these young people.
Schall Elementary School is 95% White, non-Hispanic in 95.5% White Caro, Michigan which votes 52.1% Republican and Partisan62 is "dumb enough" to blame a "leftist agenda". If anything, he should be blaming white folks for banning the plastic cupcake toys that he gets so worked up over not being able to play with.
Definitely a fear-based, overblown reaction. I think PantyWaist must be afraid that some liberal mind police unit's going to come take his plastic soldiers away.