Right Wingers Support Applying Islamic Law in Employment

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Right Wingers Support Applying Islamic Law in Employment

Unread post by O Really »

Well, not really. But they do generally support the Catholic Diocese in firing a non-Catholic teacher of a secular subject for having in vitro fertilization. I'm sure there's some difference in applying Catholic "law" in order to deprive the employee of her non-discrimination rights and applying Islamic law in the same circumstance, but I can't seem to find it. I really expected the loonesphere to be all up in arms about a school being able to use religious law to circumvent US federal law. Guess I was mistaken.

http://fox59.com/2013/03/12/teacher-fir ... z2NNdCk8og

bannination
Captain

Re: Right Wingers Support Applying Islamic Law in Employment

Unread post by bannination »

Meh, it's ok as long as the Christians do it.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Right Wingers Support Applying Islamic Law in Employment

Unread post by O Really »

bannination wrote:Meh, it's ok as long as the Christians do it.
Understood - but remember when the loonesphere was all atwitter about a story started by WND or Beck or some similar reliable source concerning a judge "applying Islamic Law" in a US courtroom? They went ballistic for weeks. Turns out it was a private contract matter. The parties to the contract agreed that some aspects of their contract would follow Islamic Law. The judge upheld the contract as written. The language could have been the same, without mentioning "Islamic Law" specifically, and nobody would have ever noticed. Well, maybe somebody would have noticed if the provision had been "upon default of either party, the party in default will surrender his youngest daughter to the other party as a party favor..." but the terms were not like that.

Compare the difference in a private contract and a matter of employment in a school owned by, but not a part of, a Catholic church. The church wants to apply its "laws" to secular employees, superceding US federal and state laws. The source of Islamic law is ostensibly the Quran; the source of Catholic law is ostensibly the Bible. In reality, both bodies of "law" exceed considerably what is actually written in their respective "holy books."

C'mon guys...where is the outrage? Catholics putting their religious law in place in lieu of US law? Pope becoming the true leader of the country? Secret agendas of priests and Cardinals? Schools to indoctrinate the young in resistance to US custom and law? Armed nuns and secret symbols? Makes a lot more sense than most popular conspiracy theories.