The Fishing Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: The Fishing Thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

It warms my heart to see the fishing thread has been resurrected.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

“This is just me going fishing with my grandfather.”

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Monster fish caught in Detroit River is one of the largest ever recorded by biologists

... Once on deck, Wigren and her colleagues Jason Fischer and Jennifer Johnson only had about two to three minutes before the fish needed to get back in the water.

The lake sturgeon weighed in at 240 pounds and measured 6 feet, 10 inches long. It's one of the largest lake sturgeon ever recorded in the United States, according to the online post.

Its girth and size actually went beyond the limits of the growth chart used by the biologists to age the fish.

“We went to the largest point in this chart, and added a tiny bit more," Wigren said.

It was estimated the fish was a female that's been in the water for over 100 years....
:shock: :-||
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I've never considered flounders to be bizarre and changing colors to blend in is hardly unique, but flounders are fun to watch. When this video didn't work, I found it and others throughout the vast reaches of the internet's tubes (that was a Senator who dun said that bout the internet tubes to).
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:58 pm
I've never considered flounders to be bizarre and changing colors to blend in is hardly unique, but flounders are fun to watch. When this video didn't work, I found it and others throughout the vast reaches of the internet's tubes (that was a Senator who dun said that bout the internet tubes to).
Maybe the Senator was thinking of inner tubes?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
https://youtu.be/f99PcP0aFNE
You tell me, I don't speak republican
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
https://youtu.be/f99PcP0aFNE
You tell me, I don't speak republican
No idea here either. In Sen. Ted Steven's defense, the internet was still sort of new to a lot of Americans 15 years ago, when he made those comments arguing against net neutrality (he lost that fight). He died a few years later... August 9, 2010 (aged 86)...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:52 pm
... In Sen. Ted Steven's defense, the internet was still sort of new to a lot of Americans 15 years ago, when he made those comments arguing against net neutrality (he lost that fight)....
Not in the long run.

Rollback to Title I information services under the Trump adminstration (2017–2020)

:x
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ted was a severe recluse up in Alaska. He only found out about fire two weeks before he died. He put fish under his arms, too.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://thehill.com/changing-america/su ... p-sea-fish

Evolution may have left this guy with a mouth opposite its eyes, but the see-through head as compensation is pretty cool.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:16 pm
Who needs a disguise, man.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/ ... ecord-koi/

New bammer record
... “If I had to guess, I’d say it flooded out of someone’s pond,” Melvin says. “With all the bass that are in that river, I don’t think a baby fish that color would survive long enough to get that big.” ...
Interesting, would not have occurred to me.

Record fish sometimes bother me, but I'm fine with harvesting exotics.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Too big to fish slap with:
661 pounds, 13 feet long and a mouth 'the size of a banana': The largest freshwater fish ever caught

A fisherman in northern Cambodia hooked what researchers say is the world’s largest freshwater fish — a giant stingray that scientists know relatively little about.

The fisherman, 42, caught the 661-pound fish — which measured about 13 feet in length — near a remote island on the Mekong River in the Stung Treng area. A team of scientists from the Wonders of Mekong research project helped tag, measure and weigh the ray before it was released back into the river. The research group believes it was healthy when released and expects it to survive.

The tag — which emits an acoustic signal — will allow researchers to track the fish’s movements and, they hope, learn more about its species’ behavior in the Mekong....

The fisherman, Moul Thun, caught the giant stingray with a hook and line on the evening of June 13, and then contacted researchers the next morning....

For several months, the research group has been in contact with local fishermen, asking them to get in touch if they landed a significant catch. The group has helped with two other large giant freshwater stingray releases in recent months. The fisherman who caught the record ray was paid market price for his catch....

... “There’s potential for hydropower development right where these stingrays were caught,” Hogan said. “We want to understand the importance of this area before there’s development, potentially in an unsustainable way.”

Hogan said the Cambodian government has expressed interest in developing a conservation plan for the giant freshwater stingrays.

The upper Mekong is also habitat for Mekong giant catfish and other species of large freshwater fish.

Worldwide, “most of these species of big fish are in trouble, their populations are declining. The Chinese paddlefish was declared extinct in 2020,” Hogan said. “We need to do more to protect these freshwater habitats.”

The former world record holding fish — a 646-pound Mekong giant catfish — was also caught on the Mekong River in 2005, in Thailand.

There are other, larger recorded catches of fish that spend time in both fresh and saltwater, such as the beluga sturgeon.

“This is the record for the largest fish that has spent its entire life in freshwater,” Hogan said of the recently caught ray.
:shock: I'm glad they released it. I hate when these articles end in trophies or sushi.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oklahoma Man Says Bigfoot Made Him Kill His Fishing Partner, Police Say

A day out hand fishing for catfish on the South Canadian River in Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, has turned into a murder investigation after a man claims Bigfoot forced him to kill his friend.

Larry Sanders, 53, stands charged with first-degree murder after allegedly admitting first to a family member and later to police to killing his noodling fishing partner Jimmy Knighten, who Sanders claimed wanted him dead by the hand of the mythical monster Bigfoot. Noodling is a popular fishing technique used in the southern United States to catch a fish by sticking one’s hand in its mouth.

The local sheriff, John Christian, told local media that Sanders “appeared to be under the influence of something” when he told police he had struck, strangled, and then drowned Knighten.

“So, his statement was that Mr. Knighten had summoned ‘Bigfoot’ to come and kill him, and that’s why he had to kill Mr. Knighten,” Christian told local reporters.
:wtf:
Did they even bother to investigate Bigfoot's role in the murder? Jesus.
Yes, but all they had to go on were some blurry photos of the perpetrator.
They found some suspicious footprints, but they were way too small.
Bigfoot has a real good attorney.
That is an abominable excuse. Yeti used it anyway.
Ah, the rarely used Bigfoot defense. Well played.
I think this finally proves that Bigfoot is real!
I would’ve guessed Florida.
Once his buddy brought in Bigfoot, he really had no choice
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Creative defence. I'm not sure exactly how one would "summon" a Bigfoot, but at least he didn't use the mundane but effective "I wuz skeered."

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Sounds like the world famous Chewbacca defense used in the OJ Simpson trial.

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I guess it's better than "the Devil made me do it."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Creative defence. I'm not sure exactly how one would "summon" a Bigfoot ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:07 pm
Sounds like the world famous Chewbacca defense used in the OJ Simpson trial.

:lol: We'll see what defense these guys come up with:
Fishermen accused of cheating indicted on felony charges

After Jacob Runyan, 42, of Ashtabula, Ohio, and Chase Cominsky, 35, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were accused of cheating during a fishing tournament on Lake Erie, a Cleveland grand jury indicted them on fifth-degree felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools. In addition, the two have been served with the first-degree misdemeanor charge of unlawful ownership of wild animals.

Runyan and Cominsky were accused of stuffing the walleye they brought as their tournament catch with lead sinkers and fillets, discovered when a tournament organizer weighed the fish and saw them come in at far more than an expected weight. A close inspection of the fish, followed by an on-the-spot dissection, proved that the fish were indeed illegally stuffed.

"I take all crime very seriously," Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley said in a statement, "and I believe what these two individuals attempted to do was not only dishonorable but also criminal."

Earlier this week, Pennsylvania authorities also seized a boat and trailer owned by Cominsky.

The duo had been on a remarkable — and, to many other anglers, highly suspicious — winning streak for several months, winning multiple tournaments on Lake Erie and along the way amassing hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money and awards. When the pair's fish were cut open to reveal the weights and fillets, other anglers erupted in rage that was caught on cellphone video and spread across the internet. Their rage arose from the fact that in tournament fishing, winners claim prizes that could, and should, have ended up with anglers that didn't cut corners in order to finish the tournament....
Opps. Sell the boat, trailer and other criminal tools, then lock them up and only feed them rancid fish.
1312. ETTD.