The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Beer makes you smarter.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Unread post by Ombudsman »

A pistol in the hands of a 4-year-old boy went off during a weekend cookout, killing the wife of a Tennessee sheriff's deputy who was showing his guns to a relative, state police said Monday.

No one saw the boy pick up the weapon before the shooting, which occurred Saturday night in Lebanon, east of Nashville, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Kristin Helm said. The single shot killed 47-year-old Josephine Fanning, the wife of Wilson County Sheriff's Deputy Daniel Fanning.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/us/tennes ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Hope this deputy gets a long time behind bars to think about what a careless idiot he is.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/articl ... 432708.php

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A police officer accused of bringing targets resembling Trayvon Martin to a gun range has been fired.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

O Really wrote:http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/articl ... 432708.php
PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A police officer accused of bringing targets resembling Trayvon Martin to a gun range has been fired.
Vrede wrote:
O Really wrote:http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/articl ... 432708.phpPORT CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A police officer accused of bringing targets resembling Trayvon Martin to a gun range has been fired.
...Sgt. Ron King was leading a target practice with two other Port Canaveral police officers and a civilian port employee when he pulled out the targets April 4. Walsh says King asked the group if they wanted to use the targets and they said no, telling King to put them back into his patrol car...
:clap:
Sorry O Really; your post wasn't good enough. Naturally, you got upstaged as your post was in need of improvement. Don't let it happen again!

Would there have been such a furor had the photo been binLaden?
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

O Really
Admiral

homerfobe wrote:
Would there have been such a furor had the photo been binLaden?
Stop, I can't stand it! If laughter really is "the best medicine" I'll be healthy forever. No, there wouldn't, and there wasn't. Although not all gun ranges allowed bin Laden targets, some sold them. But focus for just a few minutes and see if you can come up with anything different between using a bonafide enemy of the US as a target vs. a 17-year old US citizen killed under questionable circumstances. And maybe a difference in you using a bin Laden target vs. a cop using a victim's picture.

O Really
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

I'm as happy to highlight events of police officers behaving badly as anyone, but today I think I'll just commend and thank Boston's finest for their work.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Somebody's gotta run toward the bang . . . and they did. Bravo-Zulu.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Let's look at that story. First, using a "don't shoot" target wouldn't seem to apply to anywhere other than in a live simulation type training where, for example, the shooter goes through a building and targets become visible or pop up. If that were the case, and King was "leading" the training, then it doesn't look like it would have been objectionable to the other officers, nor would they have been "offered" the target. But that's speculation. What's not speculation is that the Police Chief's office claims to have conducted an "investigation" which we have to assume for discussion they know how to do. Would they not have become aware of the nature of the training? Not interviewed others there? Would they just see that King had the Trayvon targets and arbitrarily fire him? Well, maybe, but where is the police union, here? I don't know about Port Canaveral, but most police forces in Florida are union, or if they're not this is the type of instance where they'd be up in arms saying "you need us." Bottom line, I don't buy King's version.

O Really
Admiral

More on King, here... http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cf ... polic.html

If he came up with a believable story about why the Chief and the port CEO would be "out to get him" or relate some other supporting reasons why he is being railroaded, I might listen a little longer. But according to his own propaganda, he did offer the "target". So, if I'm his union rep (who seems to be making himself exceptionally scarce), in order to say that he isn't really being fired for something he did, I'm going to want to toss out a "real" reason for his railway ticket. Slept with the Chief's wife? OK, that would do it. Reported the Chief to the SBI for false expense reports? OK, that works too. But if he's telling something close to the truth, and if he told the Chief that, then either the Chief simply didn't believe him or just fired him anyway. If he wasn't fired for the targets, then what was he fired for? Enquiring minds want to know.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:If he's not lying or delusional I would expect him to sue for unjust firing and character defamation. We'll see.
Nobody defamed his character. He admitted having the ummm "non-targets" and "offering" them to fellow officers. The Chief (or somebody) determined that action not to be acceptable. That might be up for debate, but not the actual allegation. And "unjust firing" is practically impossible in Florida. But as a police officer, he does have some specified rights... http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... EPart%20VI

I'd be willing to bet those procedures were not followed exactly :o

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

O Really wrote:
Vrede wrote:If he's not lying or delusional I would expect him to sue for unjust firing and character defamation. We'll see.
Nobody defamed his character. He admitted having the ummm "non-targets" and "offering" them to fellow officers. The Chief (or somebody) determined that action not to be acceptable. That might be up for debate, but not the actual allegation. And "unjust firing" is practically impossible in Florida. But as a police officer, he does have some specified rights... http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... EPart%20VI

I'd be willing to bet those procedures were not followed exactly :o
Apparently, the CEO said King did something stupid, ... but that's a factual statement. Most gun ranges don't have the pop-up, good guy/bad guy targets. Unless Canaveral has one, I don't see how or why you would need a no-shoot target.

O Really
Admiral

Since they had also arrested Elvis, do you think this guy's attorney might convince a jury (of Mississippi "peers") that there's reasonable doubt? If they've got indisputable hard evidence, OK, but otherwise, I bet he walks, and may get a key to the City for his efforts to prevent Obama from taking away their guns.

O Really
Admiral

I've got a little experience with Tupelo. I was down there a couple of years ago with some colleagues from another office.They'd been there before and should have known if we wore suits we'd stand out like Men in Black (or at least Men in Navy Blue), but there we were, walking around in 1955 or in some corner of the time warp. The people I met were pretty nice, though, considering we wuz all "yankees" and they fed us some wicked good catfish and barbequed substance. Wouldn't have wanted to have been black, gay, or union, though. But to get there from Memphis, you drive through the little town of Holly Springs, which is indeed right out of a Faulkner novel, including old guys playing checkers on the Court House lawn. A lot of people think secession failed because of the Civil War. Opps - a lot of these people are still seceded.

O Really
Admiral

Here's one - Man shot by police in the police station - apparently trying to commit suicide by cop. Unable to, possibly because the cop couldn't hit make his shot from 15-20 feet away.

"... An officer "engaged the suspect with multiple rounds," roughly 15- to 20 feet from the man.
Hauer said at a noon press conference that Kammeyer was shot twice in the right arm above the elbow. He was later taken to a local hospital for treatment. Police expect him to be released from treatment today."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24980053&nid=14 ... featured-1

O Really
Admiral

More Sheriffs behaving badly...and another reason why they should be easier to remove from office.
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/art ... 472011.php

Where's Foolgle when you need him to rant about how hard it is to fire teachers in NYC? It would be interesting to see if he could just slot in "sheriffs" instead of "union teachers."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:More Sheriffs behaving badly...and another reason why they should be easier to remove from office.
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/art ... 472011.php
(Beaver County Sheriff George)David denies the charges and remains in office because county officials are powerless to remove him
and state legislators haven't tried to.
Maybe he should claim a disability and retire drawing a pension off the county like your former Sheriff Davis did.

O Really
Admiral

There's a reason Joe Willie Namath felt at home at Alabama.

O Really
Admiral

Cop behaving really badly - fired 8 times from 3 police departments, still has job... for now... http://news.msn.com/us/miami-area-cop-a ... ake-it-9-1

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »