Pentagon bloat, etc. thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Pentagon bloat, etc. thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 pm
The $362 million warship the US Navy just decommissioned wasn't even in service 5 years

This is maddening as well as a cluster fuck. There's no repurposing possible?

Maybe not with the propulsion issues and expense of operation. -0-?
Homeless housing?

Anyhow, Marinette Marine, Austal USA, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Diehl BGT Defence, F.A. Isotta Fraschini e Motori Breda, Honeywell, Northrop Grumman, Rolls-Royce, Colt-Pielstick, BAE Systems, Sikorsky, etc all got paid. Mission Accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtLL_UUSPI
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They're putting it in the "Foreign Military Sale disposition status", i.e., putting it up on Craig's List.

I don't know a lot about ships, and even less about warships, but it's hard to imagine after centuries of ship-building and development of engines that a team of even semi-competent engineers would produce something with "propulsion problems." But other than that somewhat vague reference, and something about "suitability", the article didn't list any specific failures. Smells fishy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:42 am
They're putting it in the "Foreign Military Sale disposition status", i.e., putting it up on Craig's List.

I don't know a lot about ships, and even less about warships, but it's hard to imagine after centuries of ship-building and development of engines that a team of even semi-competent engineers would produce something with "propulsion problems." But other than that somewhat vague reference, and something about "suitability", the article didn't list any specific failures. Smells fishy.
If it was next gen stuff then failure is to be expected and doubling down is generally the s.o.p.

Wonder if this was at least partially a congressional boondoggle thing. Our local yard(s), component manufacturers etc. need work so buy this.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

I'll take congressional boondoggle thing for $500, Alex.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:22 pm
I'll take congressional boondoggle thing for $500, Alex.
According to Wiki instigation for the Littoral Combat Ship program came from the Navy and Donald Rumsfeld's DoD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_ ... al_history
... The Navy committed to the $15 billion (2003) program in advance of rigorous analysis or clearly defined purpose, appearance, or survivability. Proponents typically pointed to its speed, asymmetric littoral threats, and impact on the U.S. shipbuilding industry. The LCS suffered from requirements creep, adding more missions and equipment, potentially rendering it too complex and expensive to use. When it was decided the ship would not be expendable, the original concept of a small, cheap, simple coastal warship became bigger, more expensive, and more complicated, with a smaller crew due to automation....
No details on who all the players were. Probably Congress, industry lobbyists and Navy folks anticipating cashing in with the merchants of death after they retire from the service. It takes a village to create a boondoggle.

28 have been commissioned since October 2008, with 4 now having been decommissioned. USS Sioux City lasted the shortest time, less than 5 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_ ... al_history
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Japan's top court orders Okinawa to allow a divisive government plan to build US military runways

:x Feed the Pentagon and merchants of death, nothing else matters. Eat shit and die, Okinawans, coral reef and dugongs.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

More on the F-35 boondoggle:
America’s Military Can’t Repair Its Own $1.7 Trillion Jet

... “The F-35 fleet mission capable rate—the percentage of time the aircraft can perform one of its tasked missions—was about 55 percent in March 2023, far below program goals,” the GAO said. “The program was behind schedule in establishing depot maintenance activities to conduct repairs. As a result, component repair times remained slow with over 10,000 (parts) waiting to be repaired.”

..The problem of waiting on repair parts has gotten so bad, however, that the DoD is simply buying new parts instead of waiting to repair old ones.

“According to DoD officials, this is a practice that program officials do not believe is a sustainable solution,” the GAO said. It’s also an expensive one. Buying new parts instead of repairing old ones is part of why the F-35 will cost the U.S. $1.7 trillion.

According to the GAO, the Pentagon is 12 years behind schedule in getting its repair shops up and running....

The F-35 has long been a troubled aircraft. Last week, an F-35B went missing over the skies of South Carolina after a Marine pilot ejected. The Pentagon lost the jet for a few hours before eventually recovering it after it crashed. This is just the latest in a long list of accidents and mishaps that have destroyed F-35s over the past few years.

Everytime an F-35 catches fire at random or shoots itself by accident, contractors make a little more money and the overall cost of the project goes up a little more.
:roll: :puke-left:

Navy fires commanding officer of ballistic missile submarine Alabama

... Rear Adm. Nicholas Tilbrook, commander of Submarine Group 9, relieved Cmdr. Michael Lyle due to a “loss of confidence in his ability to command,” the service announced Monday....

Lyle is one of at least eight Navy commanding officers relieved in 2023. Most recently, the Navy relieved Capt. Paul Choate, who was commanding officer of Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic, in August due to a loss of confidence.
Are we safer yet?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A literal US clusterfuck, one we're repeating in Ukraine:
Dispatch: The invisible killer haunting Laos 50 years after the Vietnam War

... At this site just outside the tiny village of Sop Hun, decontamination technicians are meticulously clearing up the legacy of a “secret war” so intense it earned Laos – then home to fewer than three million people – the grim status of the world’s most bombed nation per capita.

Between 1964 and 1973, as the US attempted to suppress communism in southeast Asia and cut off North Vietnam’s supply lines, American pilots unleashed more than two million tonnes of ordnance on this landlocked county in 580,000 attack sorties. On average, a planeload of bombs was dropped on Laos every eight minutes for almost a decade.

... Since the Paris Peace Accords were signed 50 years ago at least 25,000 people, half of them children, have been killed or injured by unexploded bombs – including 63 in 2021 alone.

Many of these accidents have involved cluster munitions, a controversial weapon now banned in more than 120 countries yet – to Laos’ disbelief – deployed by both sides in Ukraine.

These bombs are indiscriminate; they break apart mid-air and scatter hundreds of smaller submunitions, known here as “bombies”, across a wide area. And while they’re meant to detonate on impact, the “dud rate” is high: up to 30 per cent of the 270 million dropped on Laos never exploded.

... “I would like to bring to the power countries and leaders: think of the impacts of war, especially the impacts of cluster munitions. I don’t want to see this happen again. Please, see Laos as a case study and stop.”

... It’s hard to know how many of these cluster munitions remain scattered across Laos, though estimates suggest just 10 per cent of some 80 million left when the war finished have been cleared. In 2019, the US Congressional Research Service said it could take at least another 100 years to decontaminate the country....

“I don’t know if the people who dropped them realised the impact would last to the next generation? But they should know now. People in power, people who create war, I would encourage them to look and see that bombies kill people, kill villages, for a long time.”

This sentiment is widespread across Laos; almost everyone The Telegraph spoke to said they struggle to comprehend why cluster munitions, which have caused so much harm here for so long, are still being deployed elsewhere.

In recent decades, Laos has been increasingly vocal about this issue on the international stage, and played a major role in the creation of the Convention on Cluster Munitions in 2008.

More than 120 countries have since joined this international treaty, including the UK, but there are notable absences – including Russia, Ukraine and the US. As the fighting continues in Europe, all three have been involved in their use.

“As the world’s largest victim of cluster munitions… [Laos] expresses its profound concern over the announcement and possible use of cluster munitions,” the foreign ministry said in July, when reports that America would send several shipments to Ukraine first emerged.

“[Laos] calls upon any state or actor to refrain from all use, production, transfer and stockpiling of cluster munitions as prescribed in the Convention on Cluster Munitions, so that no one in the world would be victimised by such [a] heinous weapon.”

... “I’m really trying to inspire my country, the USA, to adopt a more humane policy,” says Ms Koulabdara. “The reason we’re so against it is obvious, we need to learn from history, learn from our last use in Laos.

“But we also know that these weapons will eventually harm Ukrainian men women and children, potentially for decades … Because of their indiscriminate nature, these weapons should be treated in the same way as chemical weapons.”

For Mary Wareham, advocacy director of the Arms Division at Human Rights Watch, the US transfer demonstrates the importance of destroying stockpiles – “if countries have them, they’ll use them”. And because many of the cluster munitions being sent are relatively old, it’s not clear what the “dud rate” will be.

“The US transfer does also bring into question the emerging norm, stigmatising any use by any actor under any circumstance,” she says. “The US is basically saying this is a special case and nothing else will work … that chips away at the norm everybody’s been trying so hard to put in place over the last 15 years.”

... Still, aid to clean up the UXOs pales in comparison to the cost of the bombardment – in 2023 dollars, the US spent $16 million every day bombing Laos for nine years. According to Legacies of War, funding to decontaminate now stands at just $45 million per year.

“The bombs that were dropped on Laos … are American bombs,” says Ms Koulabdara. “So from my perspective, this should be a top priority and funding should be guaranteed until we get the job done.”

But as the decontamination team refill their glasses and tuck into plates of sticky rice and larb salad, they admit they’re unsure if Laos can ever truly be free.

“I think we have to try for the next generation, but I don’t know, there are so many…” says Ket, shaking her head instead of finishing the sentence. “It’s just a very big task.”
:cry: We suck.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I read that story about Laos yesterday and was amazed at the amount of ordnance dropped on a country we were not at war with. Probably the same situation exists in Cambodia but perhaps to a lesser extent.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:34 am
I read that story about Laos yesterday and was amazed at the amount of ordnance dropped on a country we were not at war with. Probably the same situation exists in Cambodia but perhaps to a lesser extent.
:angry-banghead: Terrible enough at the time with the tragedy compounded by the fact that we knew that the munitions would be killing people decades later and didn't care, not to mention our 2023 delivery of cluster bombs and shells to Ukraine :puke-left:

Chickenhawk Potatoville finally retreats in impotent shame:

Tuberville Finally Drops Sweeping Hold On Military Promotions After 10 Months
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

“About damn time.”

-- Sen Mark Kelly (D-AZ), astronaut, Navy captain, carrier-based combat aviator

:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Love the headline:

Coach Tommy Tuberville routed in a 0-436 loss after the senator failed to prevent a single military promotion

:---P
... When lifting the bulk of the withheld promotions earlier in December, Tuberville admitted to reporters that the hold was all for naught: the Department of Defense did not change a single rule or policy as a result of his actions.

"We didn't get the win that we wanted," Tuberville said....
:violin: Potatotown = LOSER

Misogyny may have lost a round, but White supremacy is still at it:
Tuberville's hold may be over, but one Republican senator is still blocking a handful of promotions for an unrelated reason: diversity initiatives.

Sen. Eric Schmitt, the Missouri legislator behind the hold, has spent much of 2023 railing against diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in all facets of government.
:roll: Must be the German surname.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:21 am
Tuberville's hold may be over, but one Republican senator is still blocking a handful of promotions for an unrelated reason: diversity initiatives.

Sen. Eric Schmitt, the Missouri legislator behind the hold, has spent much of 2023 railing against diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in all facets of government.
I can understand that there are reasons a person might object to various levels of "affirmative action", "diversity" and "inclusion" and I might even agree with some of them occasionally. But I don't understand the degree to which they oppose ANY effort to assure some level of fairness or equity under the law. It's like the gun people - seeing no difference between confiscating firearms and requiring background checks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:53 pm
I can understand that there are reasons a person might object to various levels of "affirmative action", "diversity" and "inclusion" and I might even agree with some of them occasionally. But I don't understand the degree to which they oppose ANY effort to assure some level of fairness or equity under the law. It's like the gun people - seeing no difference between confiscating firearms and requiring background checks.
Being a male White supremacist christofascist means never having to say you're sorry.

Terrorist flashlights thanks to Dementia Joe's open border policy are a massive and growing threat:

Flashlight damages $14 million F-35 fighter engine beyond repair at Luke AFB

Opps. There are unconfirmed reports that Houthi rebels are mounting the flashlights on their Iranian-made drones.

Silver lining: Share value for the company that makes the undamaged flashlight has trebled.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Republican head of the House Intelligence Committee, Ohio Rep. Mike Turner = Chicken Little

Russia has obtained a 'troubling' emerging anti-satellite weapon, the White House says

Turns out that it's a theoretical "capability", one that the US has had for years, not anything that's been deployed, tested or made operational by Russia :roll: Tempest in a teapot. The perfectly reasonable concerns about combat in space are no more dire than they were last week or last year, duh.

Maybe Turner is hoping to benefit some weapons industry donor :puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

US Senate defeats bid to stop F-16 fighter jet sale to Turkey

Vote was 79-13, not even close, so I won't stress over a sale I oppose just as I've always opposed arms sales to the Middle East and south Asia. However, I was curious who voted against this or sat out.
... The Senate voted 79 to 13 against a resolution of disapproval of the sale introduced by Republican Senator Rand Paul.

Before the vote, Paul criticized Turkey's government and said allowing the sale would embolden its "misbehavior." Backers of the sale said it was important for Washington to keep its word to a NATO ally.

The Biden administration formally informed Congress on Jan. 26 of its intention to proceed with the sale of 40 Lockheed Martin F-16s and nearly 80 modernization kits to Turkey, a day after Ankara fully completed ratification of the NATO membership of Sweden....
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ ... _00062.htm

YEAs ---13
8 Dems
4 Repubs
Inde Bernie!

Not Voting - 8
8 Repubs (including Manchin :wave: )

Paul is a longtime isolationist, as are some of the other Repubs.
Some Repubs are Islamophobes.
Some from both parties are pro-Israel to a fault, not that Israel opposed the sale. Idk.
Some from both parties oppose current Turkey actions and policies.
Some of the Dems are lefty peaceniks like me, including Bernie!, Liz Warren, Ron Wyden (OR), etc.

My NC Sens opposed the Paul resolution :roll: Yours did, also, unless I name them below:

YEAs
Menendez (D-NJ)
Scott (R-FL)

Not Voting
Britt (R-AL)
Daines (R-MT)
Scott (R-SC)

MA & VT were unanimous YEAs - 3 Dems and Bernie!
UT had a YEA and a Not Voting - 2 Repubs
Otherwise, states are partially or fully complicit :thumbdown:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:53 pm
They even throw tantrums over imaginary assaults:
Duty, Honor, Outrage: Change to West Point's mission statement sparks controversy

... The new version declares that the academy's mission is “To build, educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets to be commissioned leaders of character committed to the Army Values and ready for a lifetime of service to the Army and Nation.”

“As we have done nine times in the past century, we have updated our mission statement to now include the Army Values,” academy spokesperson Col. Terence Kelley said Thursday. Those values — spelled out in other documents — are loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage, he said.

Still, some people saw the change in wording as nefarious.

“West Point is going woke. We’re watching the slow death of our country,” conservative radio host Jeff Kuhner complained in a post on the social media platform X.

Rachel Campos-Duffy, co-host of the Fox network’s “Fox & Friends Weekend,” wrote on the platform that West Point has gone “full globalist” and is “Purposely tanking recruitment of young Americans patriots to make room for the illegal mercenaries.”
:crybaby: Riiight, those word sure say woke, America-killing, globalist illegals to me :roll:

Canada born and "educated" ( :P ) Jeff Kuhner did not serve in either nation's military.
UC San Diego grad ( :P ), PhD washout, and reality star without an identifiable career Rachel Campos-Duffy did not serve in the military.
Figures.
1312. ETTD.