The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am
Not a problem for me. There are limitations to what can be done in a two-hour story, particularly regarding situations as complex as racism and race relations in the 50's-60's,

Wiki also discusses that point at length, including the presumably accurate book author's tolerant perspective on liberties taken.

but if the central authenticity about it is that despite the racism, the women played an important role in the project, then I'm happy.

I like that there were a few points in the movie that highlighted sexism while ignoring the racism.
'You can't because you're . . . a woman.'

I'm still amazed to realize that we've all got more computing power in our mobiles than all the computers that sent off the moon crew. To think a few years before that, there were people doing manual calculations to send somebody into space and hopefully get them back is nothing short of mind-boggling.

Moon >>> Twitter in Chief. Where did we go wrong?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 am

[/quote]

I'd say somewhere around Little Bush, when war became eternal and all the related societal and economic damage. Probably having Obama as a ready target for overt racists didn't help, either. You have to wonder what life would have been if Gore had followed Clinton.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am
... I'm still amazed to realize that we've all got more computing power in our mobiles than all the computers that sent off the moon crew. To think a few years before that, there were people doing manual calculations to send somebody into space and hopefully get them back is nothing short of mind-boggling.
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am
Vrede too wrote:
I'd say somewhere around Little Bush, when war became eternal and all the related societal and economic damage. Probably having Obama as a ready target for overt racists didn't help, either. You have to wonder what life would have been if Gore had followed Clinton.
Agreed, but I was too vague. I meant specifically in our use of that "more computing power". ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 am
Vrede too wrote:

[/quote]

Or if the actor president hadn't started dismantling our government and economy in 1980.

We were on a pretty good path
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am
Or if the actor president hadn't started dismantling our government and economy in 1980.

We were on a pretty good path
Jerry Falwell came to mind for me.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Constant Gardener

The Constant Gardener is a 2005 political thriller film directed by Fernando Meirelles. The screenplay by Jeffrey Caine is based on the novel of the same name (2001) by John le Carré. The story follows Justin Quayle (Ralph Fiennes), a British diplomat in Kenya, as he tries to solve the murder of his wife Tessa (Rachel Weisz), an Amnesty activist, alternating with many flashbacks telling the story of their love....

The plot of the film is loosely based on a real-life case in Kano, Nigeria involving antibacterial testing on small children....
Another white savior (and villains) narrative, but very well made and engrossing nonetheless. Perhaps the talent pinnacle of Rachel Weisz' career until 2018's The Favourite, though The Mummy movies may be her biggest box office haul.

It's the genius and tragedy of Western culture that the truth can be openly told about evils like Big Pharma mostly without censorship and repression, and often without having any real world effect. The Wiki pages don't mention Big Pharma even bothering to react to the film or book.
John le Carré, in the first edition of the 2001 novel on which the film is based, provided both a dedication and a personal afterword. The dedication and part of the afterword (amended) are reproduced in the closing credits of the film. The first states: "This film is dedicated to Yvette Pierpaoli and all other aid workers who lived and died giving a damn". The latter continues (in the next credit): "Nobody in this story, and no outfit or corporation, thank God, is based upon an actual person or outfit in the real world, but I can tell you this, as my journey through the pharmaceutical jungle progressed, I came to realize that, by comparison with the reality, my story was as tame as a holiday postcard". The text appears over John le Carré's name.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Frailty (2001 film)

Frailty is a 2001 American psychological thriller film, directed by and starring Bill Paxton, and co-starring Matthew McConaughey and Powers Boothe. It marks Paxton's directorial debut. The plot focuses on the strange relationship between two young boys and their fanatically religious father, who believes that he has been commanded by God to kill demons disguised as people.
Whoa. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Split (2016 American film)

:thumbup: Creepy. M. Night Shyamalan rocks.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whether to rescue this asshole would have presented an ethical dilemma for The Avengers:

Hong Kong man ("brutally") beaten outside theater after spoiling Avengers: Endgame
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'm so totally ignorant of super-hero culture. Last week I was on line at the grocery, and the two people ahead of me (along with the checker) were talking about having tickets, and can't wait, and one guy had tickets for two nights, and yada. But I hadn't caught what they were going to. So they left and I asked the checker - "are they going to a concert? who's playing" thinking it had to be at least somebody at the level of Pit Bull or some country person like Garth Brooks. Checker looked at me like I had just arrived from the turnip cart and said, "no, it's for Avengers: Endgame." "Oh, I said - that sounds good." No idea what it was, had to look it up. Probably won't ever see it anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm
I'm so totally ignorant of super-hero culture. Last week I was on line at the grocery, and the two people ahead of me (along with the checker) were talking about having tickets, and can't wait, and one guy had tickets for two nights, and yada. But I hadn't caught what they were going to. So they left and I asked the checker - "are they going to a concert? who's playing" thinking it had to be at least somebody at the level of Pit Bull or some country person like Garth Brooks. Checker looked at me like I had just arrived from the turnip cart and said, "no, it's for Avengers: Endgame." "Oh, I said - that sounds good." No idea what it was, had to look it up. Probably won't ever see it anyway.
C'mon, gramps, you remember John Steed and Emma Peel.

;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, especially Emma.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:40 pm
RIP Chewy...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/c ... -1.5121036

I figure around 242 years-old, a good life.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Keanu Reeves Leaves Colbert Speechless With An Incredible Reflection On Death

“I know the ones who love us will miss us,” Reeves said.

Keanu has played a lot of action roles, but John Wick alone has tallied about 212 for the ones who loved them to miss.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/158064 ... -john-wick
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count

I like an action movie as much as anyone, and I'm not an anti-movie violence zealot, but it was all too much or me, to the point of being a caricature of itself. I don't plan to watch #3.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

They killed his dog.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm
Keanu Reeves Leaves Colbert Speechless With An Incredible Reflection On Death

“I know the ones who love us will miss us,” Reeves said.

Keanu has played a lot of action roles, but John Wick alone has tallied about 212 for the ones who loved them to miss.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/158064 ... -john-wick
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count

I like an action movie as much as anyone, and I'm not an anti-movie violence zealot, but it was all too much or me, to the point of being a caricature of itself. I don't plan to watch #3.
Yeah, Reeves is a good actor, and John Wick a suspension of disbelief type of character. I've seen both John Wicks, the second I didn't think was as good. I like Reeves best in Point Break with Busey and the ex presidents, especially Patrick Swayze. It's one of my favorite movie
Last edited by neoplacebo on Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Do you surf, Neo? You didn’t mention Patrick Swayze. I liked him in Road House too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm
... I've seen both John Wicks, the second I didn't think was as good....
They must have known that, hence the higher boy count as a substitute.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm
... I've seen both John Wicks, the second I didn't think was as good....
They must have known that, hence the higher boy count as a substitute.
the mute female assassin was pretty cool. a tough chick