The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by O Really »

It's funny how I found that. I just looked at "Sonny Jurgenson" because several times I've seen references to "Commanders" during times it was "Redskins" and I wondered what it said about Sonny. I thought to myself, hell, just make a random pick and first page here they are saying Sonny played for the "Commanders" in 1964. But yeah, to its credit, the real article does not say that. Other examples of that sort of thing are easy to find, though. Enter "Cleveland Indians" and see how hard it is to find anything about the Indians:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Clevela ... e&ie=UTF-8

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

wow - I hadn’t realized that Vonnegut's Mother Night had been made into a movie. It was great. It was moving. It didn’t have even a slight slow spot and kept me focused throughout.
Goodman, Arlen, and a young Kirsten Dunst.
Vonnegut even had a cameo

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0117093/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:16 am
wow - I hadn’t realized that Vonnegut's Mother Night had been made into a movie. It was great. It was moving. It didn’t have even a slight slow spot and kept me focused throughout.
Goodman, Arlen, and a young Kirsten Dunst.
Vonnegut even had a cameo

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0117093/
I haven't seen the movie but read the book. If you liked the plot you might also like this movie:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101829/?ref ... 1_q_europa

Europa:
An American of German descent arrives in post-war Germany 1945. His uncle gets him a job on the Zentropa train line as a sleeping car conductor. The American's wish is to be neutral to the ongoing purges of loyalists by the Allied forces and do what he can to help a hurting country, but he finds himself being used by both the Americans and the influential family that owns the railroad. After falling in love with the railroad magnate's daughter, he finds that he can't remain neutral and must make some difficult choices.
I'll have to check out Mother Night!
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

The 3 body problem trailer dropped today.... and I am excited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:36 pm
The 3 body problem trailer dropped today.... and I am excited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY
Marlo Kelly, Sea Shimooka, Eiza González, Avital Lvova, Zine Tseng, Vedette Lim - HOT scientists, aliens, anti-totalitarianism, 1960s flashbacks, astrophysics, radical environmentalism, mass hallucinations, orbital mechanics, complex mathematics and HOT scientists, all in an ongoing sci-fi series. This will be as close as atheist banni ever gets to heaven :angel: ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

This was a pretty decent video. Pretty good channel overall too:

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Seed: The Untold Story
Few things on Earth are as miraculous and vital as seeds -- worshipped and treasured since the dawn of humankind. This documentary follows passionate seed keepers who are protecting a 12,000 year-old food legacy. In the last century, 94 seed varieties have disappeared. A cadre of 10 agrichemical companies, including Syngenta, Bayer, and Monsanto, controls over two-thirds of the global seed market, reaping unprecedented profits. Farmers and others battle to defend the future of our food.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lots of reasons that we might need those seeds :problem: Oldie, still a goodie:
The China Syndrome

The China Syndrome is a 1979 American disaster thriller film directed by James Bridges and written by Bridges, Mike Gray, and T. S. Cook. The film stars Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon, Michael Douglas (who also produced), Scott Brady, James Hampton, Peter Donat, Richard Herd, and Wilford Brimley. It follows a television reporter and her cameraman who discover safety coverups at a nuclear power plant. "China syndrome" is a fanciful term that describes a fictional result of a nuclear meltdown, where reactor components melt through their containment structures and into the underlying earth, "all the way to China"....
At the time I was essentially a full time antinuclear activist. The film was and remains largely accurate.
... The March 1979 release was met with backlash from the nuclear power industry's claims of it being "sheer fiction" and a "character assassination of an entire industry". Twelve days later, the Three Mile Island nuclear accident occurred in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
Opps.
While some credit the accident's timing in helping to sell tickets, the studio attempted to avoid appearing as if they were exploiting the accident,
Fair enough, but we sure did. We were leafletting the theater.
which included pulling the film from some theaters.
:bs: Same self-censorship the TV station did in the film.

Tomatometer 88%, Audience Score 81%

:clap: GoJaneGo!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Children of Men
2006 R 1h 49m

In 2027, in a chaotic world in which women have somehow become infertile, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea.

Awards
:o :cry: :clap:

Tomatometer 92%, Audience Score 85%
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Godzilla fans ecstatic as legendary monster lands historic first Oscar nomination

... (Godzilla) Minus One has now been nominated for Best Visual Effects in a category alongside The Creator, Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol: 3 and Society of the Snow.
:clap: :-||
This marks the first time in the history of Godzilla, who debuted in 1954 and with 38 films under his belt, has ever been nominated for an Oscar....

Another said: "Congratulations to first-time Academy Award nominee Godzilla after 70 years in the film business." ...
Should get a Lifetime Achievement Award, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Cabin in the Woods
R. 2011, Horror/Comedy, 1h 35m

Tomatometer 92%, Audience Score 74%

Critics Consensus
The Cabin in the Woods is an astonishing meta-feat, capable of being funny, strange, and scary -- frequently all at the same time.
It's gory and profane, but if you're okay with that . . .
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:44 am
The Cabin in the Woods
R. 2011, Horror/Comedy, 1h 35m

Tomatometer 92%, Audience Score 74%

Critics Consensus
The Cabin in the Woods is an astonishing meta-feat, capable of being funny, strange, and scary -- frequently all at the same time.
It's gory and profane, but if you're okay with that . . .
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wrote off horror type movies about 50 years ago after seeing The Exorcist. It suddenly stopped making sense to go out of my way to scare myself.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:46 pm
I wrote off horror type movies about 50 years ago after seeing The Exorcist. It suddenly stopped making sense to go out of my way to scare myself.
:D Says the guy living in Gaetzacola, FL :P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:49 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Yep, I’ve got all the horror I need right at home in Florida and in our US of A.
Really though, Florida is more of a Coen brothers comedy when seen against our country’s near genocidal war crimes conduct against smaller nations such as Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, or our protecting big business as they bullied the poor in almost every country in Central and South America.
Yeah, our idle stance against military atrocities, rape, strings of ears, death by container, torture of every conceivable kind, black sites and on and on from Columbus through the made for tv special of the phosphorus we rained down on the children in Fallujah to our now being led by a snout ring in support of actual genocide against the destitute people in Gaza because we are too scared to stand up against the Israeli antisemite card.
Other than the Mario games, I’ve never played any of the battle games our children are growing up on. I’ve seen titles such as Six Days in Fallujah honoring our war crimes there. I imagine that the Israelis, if they haven’t already, will soon be pushing children’s battle games depicting the fun side of the slaughter in Gaza; after all, the Palestinians are an inferior species similar to gooks and injuns and wetbacks and all these other not quite human savages.
Yep, life in the US is horror enough.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yep, I’ve got all the horror I need right at home in Florida and in our US of A.
Really though, Florida is more of a Coen brothers comedy when seen against our country’s near genocidal war crimes conduct against smaller nations such as Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, or our protecting big business as they bullied the poor in almost every country in Central and South America.
Yeah, our idle stance against military atrocities, rape, strings of ears, death by container, torture of every conceivable kind, black sites and on and on from Columbus through the made for tv special of the phosphorus we rained down on the children in Fallujah to our now being led by a snout ring in support of actual genocide against the destitute people in Gaza because we are too scared to stand up against the Israeli antisemite card.
Other than the Mario games, I’ve never played any of the battle games our children are growing up on. I’ve seen titles such as Six Days in Fallujah honoring our war crimes there. I imagine that the Israelis, if they haven’t already, will soon be pushing children’s battle games depicting the fun side of the slaughter in Gaza; after all, the Palestinians are an inferior species similar to gooks and injuns and wetbacks and all these other not quite human savages.
:oops: I didn't expect to cheer you up so much ;)

Not that I'm trying to recruit you and it's not like I'm a huge horror flick fan, anyhow, but maybe the whole point is to distract us from the irl horrors we perceive, whatever they might be. Things could be worse, in other words -0-?

Since we're on the topic, we're now making low level war on Iran proxies and Iran troops outside of Iran. I have heard news reports discussing how TRE45ON's withdrawal from the nuclear agreement wrecked communication, cooperation and the international collective that signed onto the pact :ateeth: I have not yet heard anyone mention how Cheney/Shrub's Iraq invasion based on hundreds of lies removed Saddam's impediment to Iranian domination of the region and thus increased its power immensely. Fucking RepuQs sure mess things up.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:25 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
:oops: I didn't expect to cheer you up so much ;)

Not that I'm trying to recruit you and it's not like I'm a huge horror flick fan, anyhow, but maybe the whole point is to distract us from the irl horrors we perceive, whatever they might be. Things could be worse, in other words -0-?

Since we're on the topic, we're now making low level war on Iran proxies and Iran troops outside of Iran. I have heard news reports discussing how TRE45ON's withdrawal from the nuclear agreement wrecked communication, cooperation and the international collective that signed onto the pact :ateeth: I have not yet heard anyone mention how Cheney/Shrub's Iraq invasion based on hundreds of lies removed Saddam's impediment to Iranian domination of the region and thus increased its power immensely. Fucking RepuQs sure mess things up.
They always have. Iran may be the saddest case of all.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

The Hitler Chronicles

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9520184

What, in my opinion, makes it interesting: the narration is almost wholly from people that lived at the time. Diary entries from German housewives and soldiers to Jews and Poles and other ordinary people caught in the malestrom, to observations of those close to hitler and others from different walks of life. All video is from archival footage.

Highly recommend. Available on YouTube.
A complete account of one of worlds most powerful men of the 20th century including his rise to power and subsequent suicide in his bunker. Fascinating and oppressive accounts from archives never shown to the public on the worlds most notorious liar and unscrupulous murderer.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rex Reed really abhors:
‘Poor Things’: See It And Hate Yourself in the Morning
If you’re naïve enough to believe anything chock full of shock for its own sake is automatically praiseworthy, then open your wallets and see for yourself.

★ (1/4 stars)
Directed by:
Yorgos Lanthimos
Written by: Tony McNamara & Yorgos Lanthimos
Starring: Willem Dafoe, Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo
(Between them:
1 Oscar
1 BAFTA
1 Golden Globe
1 EGOT nominee
2 Emmys
11 non-winning Oscar nominations
And many more awards and nominations)
Running time: 141 mins.
One of the more savage reviews I've read. So, imagine my surprise when I opened Rotten Tomatoes and found:
Poor Things
R 2023, Comedy/Drama, 2h 21m
Tomatometer 92%, Audience Score 79%

Critics Consensus
Wildly imaginative and exhilaratingly over the top, Poor Things is a bizarre, brilliant tour de force for director Yorgos Lanthimos and star Emma Stone.
:wtf: If any of you go or eventually stream it, please let us know what you think.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Dreams - 1990

https://www.criterion.com/films/28700-a ... was-dreams
Unfolding in a series of eight mythic vignettes, this late work by Akira Kurosawa was inspired by the beloved director’s own nighttime visions, along with stories from Japanese folklore. In a visually sumptuous journey through the master’s imagination, tales of childlike wonder give way to apocalyptic apparitions: a young boy stumbles on a fox wedding in a forest; a soldier confronts the ghosts of the war dead; a power-plant meltdown smothers a seaside landscape in radioactive fumes. Interspersed with reflections on the redemptive power of creation, including a richly textured tribute to Vincent van Gogh (who is played by Martin Scorsese), Akira Kurosawa’s Dreams is both a showcase for its maker’s artistry at its most unbridled and a deeply personal lament for a world at the mercy of human ignorance.
Good movie to smoke a bowl to.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

BTW

Oppenheimer..👍👍👍👍👍
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.