Syria/Iraq

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Syria

Unread post by rstrong »

Stinger wrote:
Vrede wrote:20-20 hindsight? The GOP largely opposed Obama's intervention in the easier to contain and far less complex Libyan revolt. Of course, supporting the "right" side, whatever it is, would be far easier if Shrub hadn't mucked things up so thoroughly in the region by invading Iraq.
McCain and many other Pubs were demanding action on Libya. Of course, when Obama gave aid, the wingnuts exploded with delusions of boots on the grounds, shipments of Marines to Libya, etc., etc., etc. that never happened. I had to correct one just the other day who was claiming Obama started a war. Hypocritical dumbasses.
"Exercise a no-fly zone this evening."
- Newt Gingrich, 3/7/11

"I would not have intervened."
- Newt Gingrich, 3/23/11

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede wrote:One TPer (even a broken clock...):

Sarah Palin on U.S. Decision on Syria: 'Let Allah Sort It Out'

I'm not clear what O Really's point is.
Nevermind - t'was a lame effort. I just thought Palin was the only "dog" we had in that fight.

Cowboy
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Cowboy »

rstrong wrote:"Exercise a no-fly zone this evening."
- Newt Gingrich, 3/7/11

"I would not have intervened."
- Newt Gingrich, 3/23/11
I remember that.
Incredible wasn't it?

Troll Patrol

Unread post by Troll Patrol »

Dryer Vent wrote:The whole thing is a mess...the whole Middle East is a mess. I can see Obama's point about the chemical weapons, and I can see the problem with the US going in to another situation. On this one, I am just going to trust the President and Congress to decide what to do about this heinous action in Syria. I don't know what they know, so I guess I just have to have faith that our leadership will do the right thing.

That is a scary thought. Thinking the folks in Washington have a clue as to what to do about this.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

What's the point of being an international bully if you can't kick the shit out
of someone every once in a while? I doubt the Syrians will be able to do it,
but I'd love to see some Americans get the same thing they dish out. :---P

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

President Obama must seek explicit Congressional authorization before taking military action in Syria, as required by the U.S. Constitution and the War Powers Resolution.
Whether or not you agree with the rest, this bit is fiction.

O Really
Admiral

I think rstrong's points are well taken - literally, for an individual attack or bullying incident. I think less so in the arena of international affairs. The US has butted in too often in too many places already, and only occasionally with favorable results. Who elected us the worlds's referee? Oh yeah, that was us.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Some people just never learn. Add Obama's name to that list.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Bungalow Bill wrote:Some people just never learn. Add Obama's name to that list.
Yeah, that's what appears to be the case. This is exactly why I have no "advisors."

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Looks like just about every other country including Canada is saying "no" to this one. Your move America.

O Really
Admiral

When was the last time US military participation in another country's dispute turned out well? I suppose you could count Clinton's Kosovo, or Reagan's Granada if you want to stretch it, but other than that most Crusades have fallen flat since World War II, which was hardly an independent initiative.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Well he could have had one advisor who said 'Never use the phrase red
line.' Too late now. I'm a little surprised the Brits aren't going along. The
limeys are usually ready to go to stir up faded memories of their empire.
It makes sense the French are still in. Syria was their territory back in the
day. They still like to pretend they make a difference in the world.

One quibble: if this thing lasts two or three days, it's really hard to call it a
war. The word just doesn't seem to fit.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

We weren't taking the civil war Syria-ously.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Troll Patrol

Most opposed. It would all change should Syria attack Israel.

bannination
Captain

Troll Patrol wrote:Most opposed. It would all change should Syria attack Israel.
The cons over at your place we're mostly for it, and were antagonistic against Obama for supposedly not doing anything. Then they backtracked once they realized Obama was going to do something and it wasn't the best way to smear him.

I guess we're talking about wingnuts and not conservatives in this case though.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

"The best thing we can do is commit to holding war criminals accountable, expand humanitarian aid for refugees,
and maintain constant diplomatic pressure for a negotiated end to the conflict.
"

How do they propose to "hold war criminals accountable" without some form of retaliation? Smacking them in the face with words?

How do they propose to "expand humanitarian aid for refugees" without first giving them some form of protection from another gas attack?

How do they propose the refugees receive protection from another gas attack, unless key military sites are destroyed?

What exactly is "diplomatic pressure" to a ruthless dictator, and when has that scenario ever worked in the past?

I am not a war-monger nor do I feel the U.S. should be the world's watchdog, but I don't think that any civilized nation should just sit back and
ho-humly watch a power-hungry mad dog kill innocent civilians.
HOW THE WORLD HEARD THE NEWS
It started as another night of heavy shelling for the beleaguered residents of what remains of Ghouta, a swathe of suburbs to the east of Damascus which is currently under the control of the rebel Free Syrian Army.
Then, at around 3am on the morning of August 21st, a stream of highly-distressed civilians began arriving at local hospitals. Many of the men, women, and children were foaming at the mouth, and shaking uncontrollably.
Their eyes were glazed, and their pupils contracted. Most panicked as they struggled to breathe. Despite the best efforts of doctors, many suffocated – slowly and in great pain.
‘The look of horror in victims’ eyes was what affected us most,’ said Dr Majid Abu Ali, a Syrian GP who treated almost 700 victims. ‘All of us have been dealing with war victims for the past two years, but nothing could have prepared us for this.
The situation was quite terrifying.’
www.dailymail.co.uk/news]www.dailymail.co.uk/news

Surprisingly, UK is against any retaliation, the French are siding with the U.S....

Troll Patrol

Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote:
Troll Patrol wrote:Most opposed. It would all change should Syria attack Israel.
The cons over at your place we're mostly for it, and were antagonistic against Obama for supposedly not doing anything. Then they backtracked once they realized Obama was going to do something and it wasn't the best way to smear him.

Just curious, what did Supsalemgr post on CPF about Obama and Syria before the most recent events?
I think you would find he only supported use of force if it was in the national interest of the USA. His primary criticism of Obama is he overloaded his ass with his mouth and cannot make a decision. This has proven to be a true assessment.

bannination
Captain

Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote:

Just curious, what did Supsalemgr post on CPF about Obama and Syria before the most recent events?

supsalemgr:
My personal view on Syria is our only interests are whether Syria is a threat to the USA or Israel. That being said, I feel this will be another example of the empty words from Obama. He did say Syria using chemical records would cross his red line. Now that they have at least once, and the CIA probably knows they have used it more, what will the Bampster do? My prediction - NOTHING. He is all talk and no walk and the world has figured it out. Quite frankly, it is very sad.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Troll Patrol

bannination wrote:
Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote:

supsalemgr:
My personal view on Syria is our only interests are whether Syria is a threat to the USA or Israel. That being said, I feel this will be another example of the empty words from Obama. He did say Syria using chemical records would cross his red line. Now that they have at least once, and the CIA probably knows they have used it more, what will the Bampster do? My prediction - NOTHING. He is all talk and no walk and the world has figured it out. Quite frankly, it is very sad.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for confirming my post.