The Worker Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Worker Thread

Unread post by O Really »

During the years we lived in Asheville, we had totally excellent newspaper delivery - until we didn't. It wasn't a kid on a bike, but an adult female in a Honda. Good weather and bad, the paper was always there. Neatly wrapped in plastic if needed; always in the middle of the driveway. Then one day it didn't arrive. After a day or so, I called the paper, who said they'd credit my account for the missed ones. But the paper still didn't show up. Called them again - and eventually they said they didn't have delivery there anymore. So I started reading the e-version, but it was a while before I didn't miss the real thing - especially on Sundays. Now newspapers are all owned by Gannet or somebody and are all the same showing news you've already read online. I still read some e-versions of papers for the features and comics, but otherwise, print news journalism is dead.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:42 pm
During the years we lived in Asheville, we had totally excellent newspaper delivery - until we didn't. It wasn't a kid on a bike, but an adult female in a Honda. Good weather and bad, the paper was always there. Neatly wrapped in plastic if needed; always in the middle of the driveway. Then one day it didn't arrive. After a day or so, I called the paper, who said they'd credit my account for the missed ones. But the paper still didn't show up. Called them again - and eventually they said they didn't have delivery there anymore. So I started reading the e-version, but it was a while before I didn't miss the real thing - especially on Sundays. Now newspapers are all owned by Gannet or somebody and are all the same showing news you've already read online. I still read some e-versions of papers for the features and comics, but otherwise, print news journalism is dead.
I delivered the Birmingham News in 61 for about 1 year. It was the largest and heaviest newspaper in Alabama. My route was incredibly long, as its 3rd place circulation was well behind the Auburn Opelika News and the Montgomery Advertiser. The Sunday morning route required 3 large baskets (saddle and front) and started at 3:30 a.m.
Zero fond memories.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17 am
But I wonder if Grit was the Fox News of its time?
Far from it:
Grit displayed news and features aimed at rural America, and climbed to a weekly circulation of 100,000 by 1900, following an editorial policy outlined by Lamade during a banquet for Grit's employees:

Always keep Grit from being pessimistic. Avoid printing those things which distort the minds of readers or make them feel at odds with the world. Avoid showing the wrong side of things, or making people feel discontented. Do nothing that will encourage fear, worry, or temptation... Wherever possible, suggest peace and good will toward men. Give our readers courage and strength for their daily tasks. Put happy thoughts, cheer, and contentment into their hearts.
Somebody must have bought it:
" By 1932, it had a circulation of 425,000 in 48 states, and 83% of its circulation was in towns of fewer than 10,000 inhabitants."
I had no idea what Grit was. All I knew was that a newspaper was delivered to my house every day without having to seek it out and it made me wonder about why this paper seemed to only be sold by grubby looking kids out in front of stores. The whole thing had a tinge of sordid to it. But I was just a kid. Sounds like they were an honorable operation after all. Thanks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

‘Right to work’ in spotlight after Michigan tosses law aside

Michigan on Friday became the first state in nearly six decades to repeal its “right-to-work” law, marking a rare legislative victory for unions that have seen their influence decrease dramatically in recent decades.

“Today, we are coming together to restore workers’ rights, protect Michiganders on the job and grow Michigan’s middle class,” the state’s Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said after signing the bill....
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Unions: the people who brought you weekends
The boss needs you, you don't need him
Don't mourn, organize!
Kickin' ass for the working class...
Which side are you on?
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Workers of the world, unite!

Happy May Day, y'all.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

US lawmakers call to modernize Osha as hundreds die on the job each day
Reintroduced federal legislation pushes to expand Osha coverage in 24 states not currently covered by the act

Every day 343 workers die from hazardous working conditions in the US. In 2021, the latest year with data available, 5,190 workers in the US were killed on the job and an estimated 120,000 deaths were attributed to occupational diseases.

Since 1970, more than 429,000 workers have been killed on the job, but only 128 of those cases have been criminally prosecuted under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (Osha).
:shock: I had no idea.
... The bill includes expanding Osha coverage to the estimated 8 million state and local government workers in 24 states not currently covered by Osha, reinstating an employer record-keeping rule of illnesses and injuries rolled back under the Trump administration, providing authority for increased civil penalties for serious Osha violations, and authorizing felony penalties against employers who knowingly commit Osha violations that result in the death or serious harm of a worker. The bill would also establish rights for families who lose a loved one to a workplace fatality and require Osha to investigate all cases of death or serious injury that occur in a workplace.
:clap:
... For Black workers, the workplace fatality rate increased from 3.5 per 100,000 workers in 2020 to 4.0 in 2021, the highest rate in a decade, while Latino workers currently have a worker fatality rate of 4.5 per every 100,000 workers, 25% higher than the national average.
:(
... (CT Democratic Rep Joe) Courtney noted the political challenges faced in passing the Protecting America’s Workers Act given the current House is under Republican control. But a companion bill in the Senate will be introduced and Courtney said it was important to keep introducing the bill to keep the issues visible.

“I think that at some point, the external pressure is going to reach the breaking point in terms of getting this place to move,” he said.
Someday.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Forget Disney. Ron DeSantis Has a Surprising New Target

... A New Law Stirs Controversy in Florida

Now, a different bill in Florida, recently signed by DeSantis, is getting the attention of labor advocates.

It amends the Florida Minimum Wage Act.

Jason Garcia, a journalist who writes about how businesses influence public policy in Florida, had some notes about the new law that he posted to Twitter.

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis just signed a bill sought by billionaire owners of Major League Baseball teams that cuts minor league baseball players off from the minimum wage," he tweeted....

"One day after this legislation was filed in Tallahassee, Joe Ricketts, the billionaire founder of TD Ameritrade whose kids own the Chicago Cubs, gave DeSantis a $1 million donation," Garcia wrote in one.
NoCubsNo
"Major League Baseball hired the lobbying firm owned by one of DeSantis' biggest Florida fundraisers and that now employs DeSantis' former chief of staff," he posted in another.

In a final tweet, Garcia suggested the bill forced players to take some action that he considered a sign of progress.

"Silver lining: Minor league players unionized for the first time last year -- and signed their first labor contract just before Florida lawmakers passed this bill," he wrote. "So the impact should be relatively limited ... although cutting anyone off from minimum wage protections is gross."

Some Details On the Legislation

The Florida Senate website explains that SB 892 would exempt border patrol agents and salaried baseball players from the Florida Minimum Wage Act....
Border patrol agents, too? I thought that Florida fascists loved them. :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:53 am
Forget Disney. Ron DeSantis Has a Surprising New Target

... A New Law Stirs Controversy in Florida

Now, a different bill in Florida, recently signed by DeSantis, is getting the attention of labor advocates.

It amends the Florida Minimum Wage Act.

Jason Garcia, a journalist who writes about how businesses influence public policy in Florida, had some notes about the new law that he posted to Twitter.

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis just signed a bill sought by billionaire owners of Major League Baseball teams that cuts minor league baseball players off from the minimum wage," he tweeted....

"One day after this legislation was filed in Tallahassee, Joe Ricketts, the billionaire founder of TD Ameritrade whose kids own the Chicago Cubs, gave DeSantis a $1 million donation," Garcia wrote in one.
NoCubsNo
"Major League Baseball hired the lobbying firm owned by one of DeSantis' biggest Florida fundraisers and that now employs DeSantis' former chief of staff," he posted in another.

In a final tweet, Garcia suggested the bill forced players to take some action that he considered a sign of progress.

"Silver lining: Minor league players unionized for the first time last year -- and signed their first labor contract just before Florida lawmakers passed this bill," he wrote. "So the impact should be relatively limited ... although cutting anyone off from minimum wage protections is gross."

Some Details On the Legislation

The Florida Senate website explains that SB 892 would exempt border patrol agents and salaried baseball players from the Florida Minimum Wage Act....
Border patrol agents, too? I thought that Florida fascists loved them. :headscratch:
Just a wild ass guess, but maybe BP Agents were billing 168 hour weeks when they were deployed.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

DeSantis and his merry marauders are evil, but there's more to this story.
In the new contract, the players have agreed to support a broader exemption. The contract includes a draft letter that the Players Association agreed to send to “lawmakers/regulators.” That letter, in full, states as follows:

On behalf of Major League Baseball and its thirty Clubs (collectively "MLB") and the Major League Baseball Players Association (the "Players Association"), the labor union representing all domestic Minor League Players employed by an MLB Club ("Players"), we write to clarify our joint position on the treatment of Minor League Players represented by the Players Association under various wage and hour laws.

We write to express our joint support for legislation that would provide a narrowly tailored exemption from wage and hour laws (including minimum wage, overtime and recordkeeping requirements) that otherwise could apply to Players, in deference to the compensation and benefit provisions of the new collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the Players Association, on behalf of Players, and MLB, ("Minor League CBA"), provided the exemption would only apply to Players during the period in which they are compensated pursuant to the terms of the CBA.

The new Minor League CBA treats Players as salaried employees in which they receive weekly salaries throughout the calendar year (with the exception of a brief period around the holidays when Players are off and not permitted to perform work for their Clubs). Other benefits Players will receive under the Minor League CBA include but are not limited to health benefits, retirement benefits, housing benefits, and salary continuation in the event of disability resulting from a work-related injury. For this reason, we agree that Players who are receiving the compensation and benefits negotiated by the parties as set forth in our Minor League CBA covering the 2023-2027 seasons should be treated as "exempt" salaried professionals and, as such, need no recourse to sue for minimum wage, overtime and recordkeeping violations for the duration of the Minor League CBA.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:26 am
Got any good war stories for us?

Lawyers Are Revealing The Most Shocking Case They've Worked On, And My Jaw Is On The Floor

2 examples:
11. "I didn't work on it, but I was in the courtroom at the time with other cases. I was working with the DA during my first year in law school, being presided by the biggest prick judge I've ever encountered in my life. This couple broke up, and the woman got a restraining order on this guy. A month or two later, this guy goes out with his friends to some bar. Later in the night, the ex-girlfriend shows up at the same bar. The guy goes up to her and says, 'I know you have a restraining order against me, are you comfortable with me here, or should I leave? I won't bother you either way.' She says she doesn't want him around, so he leaves right away. Dude got put away three years for that."

"You aren't supposed to be within 100 feet or have any contact with the person who filed. So, the fact this guy said that one sentence to her got him put away for three years. Even though he was there first and trying to be courteous by asking and then leaving right away. This was the very beginning of my law career and already not a good sign LOL. I hate being a lawyer so much."

15. "One of my close friends is an environmental lawyer, primarily defending individual landowners in corporate cases where discharge or pollution has occurred, or where water rights are in contention. A couple of years back, there was a case where a well-known manufacturer of latex paints was found to be poisoning a local wetland (a big deal in my state) with runoff, and the state authority in charge of wetlands preservation took them to court. In a grandstanding effort to demonstrate to the judge that the chemical being discharged near the water could not possibly be toxic to the wildlife, a rep for the company brought a powdered form of the chemical in and mixed it with a glass of water there and then, intending to drink it dramatically in front of the court. The glass (actually plastic, but still) melted right there on the table."

"The case was settled out of court the same day."
As you'd expect, an ER career creates many shocking tales. 3 that come to mind:
Young man who put a shotgun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Died.
Young woman who fell down an open elevator shaft. Survived the ER, not sure about after that.
Shop accident that sent a huge wood splinter into a guy's face. Survived.

I'll only post details if someone asks.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:26 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:25 pm
Got any good war stories for us?

Lawyers Are Revealing The Most Shocking Case They've Worked On, And My Jaw Is On The Floor

As you'd expect, an ER career creates many shocking tales. 3 that come to mind:
Young man who put a shotgun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Died.
Young woman who fell down an open elevator shaft. Survived the ER, not sure about after that.
Shop accident that sent a huge wood splinter into a guy's face. Survived.

I'll only post details if someone asks.
Got any good infuriatingly ridiculous boss stories for us?

17 Infuriatingly Ridiculous Work Emails Bosses Had The Audacity To Send Their Employees

Two examples:
7. And the boss who told their employees that if they call out sick, then might as well LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB:

"LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB" is exactly what I would have done.
15. The boss who sent this email with almost no notice...amounting to a huge FU to their night staff (not to mention the weekend staff):

Less than 3 hours notice! :bs:

Otoh, I have some sympathy for this boss:
9. The boss who actually sent this to her employee who'd just found out her boyfriend of four years was cheating on her:

I was working for a contractor doing cleaning in a mall at night. At the start of the shift the boss gathered us together to reassure us that despite the rumors (which I had not heard) we really really would get paid. Huge red flag to me. I said that I'd never experienced anything so outrageous and walked off right there. It took months and a visit with the county attorney to get my final check, and I learned that I was not the only one.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I had an agreement (some might call it a rule) with most of my clients that (a) they could never fire somebody on the spot except in a case of immediate danger; (b) they couldn't fire anybody without discussing it with us beforehand. They could suspend somebody pending action, but couldn't fire them. No charge for a phone call for initial discussion of the situation. So the HR person calls one day and says the Payroll Supervisor wants to fire one of her staff. Attendance, sloppy, "attitude", yada. I mentioned that it seemed to me that there was a lot of turnover in that department and that a lot of people got fired. HR person agreed, but said she didn't know what she could do about it. I suggested we both have a talk with the PR Supervisor, whose name (for real) happened to be "Karen." "So, Karen, what's the problem with your employee?" (she ranted for a while). "So that sounds pretty bad - let's look over the warnings you've given her and see what we have." (no real warnings) "Well, let's see the training records where you've showed her how to do the issue she messed up." (no training records) So Karen, who selects these employees you get?" (I do) "And who's in charge of seeing that they know their job (my assistant and I are) "And who's in charge of evaluating their work?" (I am).
"So if you are in charge of selecting them, training them, assigning their work, and evaluating them, if they aren't successful who's fault is that?" (crickets) "What do you think your job is, Karen?" (to run the payroll) "Not really - your job is to make your employees successful and if you do that your department will run very well. So how about this: you have a department full of people you picked, trained, and assigned work to. If you want to fire somebody in the future, you can do it, but if you do the company will take you out of your supervisor job." (whining, "not fair" "maybe I'll quit"...HR person says, "well, OK, no problem") Karen did not quit, and actually got better at her job and turnover went to practically nothing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:clap: Still has moves at 65.

Article
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So Vrede, were you ever or consider in your career being a travel nurse? I had no idea, but we met this person who travels around/lives in a Prevost tour bus (like bands travel in), pulls a custom made trailer for her Spyder motorcycle. Earns over $150K/year plus housing expense, relocation expense, health insurance, yada. She's got a house in Seattle that she rents out and another house in Indio where she stays in between assignments. Who needs a union?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:44 pm
So Vrede, were you ever or consider in your career being a travel nurse? I had no idea, but we met this person who travels around/lives in a Prevost tour bus (like bands travel in), pulls a custom made trailer for her Spyder motorcycle. Earns over $150K/year plus housing expense, relocation expense, health insurance, yada. She's got a house in Seattle that she rents out and another house in Indio where she stays in between assignments. Who needs a union?
I considered it, never took the leap. On balance I think I liked being committed to the success of one ER. Plus, I often had less than full time work and flex scheduling, not options as a traveler. That said, I made initial inquiries in Hawaii in advance of permanent work if I liked it there. Never followed through.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So a new California law going into effect prohibits employers from taking any adverse action toward any employee or applicant for marijuana use unless they can prove actual impairment for the job performed.

Here ya' go, whack9 - Rockstar is hiring https://www.rockstargames.com/careers/o ... -san-diego
Pot shops all over, California girls ... you sure you like Greenville? :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Thinking of workers, California minimum wage is $15.50/hr ($16.30 in San Diego County). Of course, that means a person at that wage could "afford" an apartment for about $1,000/month. Problem is average rate for 1BR apartment is $2,000.

From Oceanside, going south on the old 101 through Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solano Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla - all these towns have a vibrant downtown with shops - mostly localish - restaurants, entertainment venues, and very few empty buildings. People are walking around, riding bikes, sitting in pocket parks. So other than being expensive places to live by the ocean, what do all these nice downtowns have in common?
Spoiler:
No Walmart or Target west of the I-5

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I love it