The Worker Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: The Worker Thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

ChatGTP

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/3 ... rch-paper/

ChatGPT passes Wharton Business School test: research paper

The new artificial intelligence system ChatGPT has passed an exam at the Wharton Business School, according to a new research paper, signaling the potential of the controversial chatbot.

Research from Wharton professor Christian Terwiesch found that the AI system “has shown a remarkable ability to automate some of the skills of highly compensated knowledge workers in general and specifically the knowledge workers in the jobs held by MBA graduates including analysts, managers, and consultants.”
Automating ourselves into irrelevancy. Supposedly it also passed the bar exam with a C+.

Another frightening potential: controlling narratives online. Spin up enough bots to keep an artificial conversation going without the need for an actual human to control said sock puppets and you can artificially set a narrative and make it seem like public opinion leans a certain way, thus influencing actual, flesh and bone, voters.

We're absolutely not there yet, but I could see this making a lot of tech/software dev jobs irrelevant in the future as well. I've seen examples of it writing simple code snippets. But as far as the actual business requirements go, it's still far off. But that could definitely change. Even a lot of managerial jobs.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 am
ChatGTP

The new artificial intelligence system ChatGPT has passed an exam at the Wharton Business School, according to a new research paper, signaling the potential of the controversial chatbot.

Research from Wharton professor Christian Terwiesch found that the AI system “has shown a remarkable ability to automate some of the skills of highly compensated knowledge workers in general and specifically the knowledge workers in the jobs held by MBA graduates including analysts, managers, and consultants.”
Automating ourselves into irrelevancy. Supposedly it also passed the bar exam with a C+.

Another frightening potential: controlling narratives online. Spin up enough bots to keep an artificial conversation going without the need for an actual human to control said sock puppets and you can artificially set a narrative and make it seem like public opinion leans a certain way, thus influencing actual, flesh and bone, voters.

We're absolutely not there yet, but I could see this making a lot of tech/software dev jobs irrelevant in the future as well. I've seen examples of it writing simple code snippets. But as far as the actual business requirements go, it's still far off. But that could definitely change. Even a lot of managerial jobs.
Wharton Business School - Probably did better than Dolt .45, but that ain't sayin' much.
Humanity May Reach Singularity Within Just 7 Years, Trend Shows

In the world of artificial intelligence, the idea of “singularity” looms large. This slippery concept describes the moment AI exceeds beyond human control and rapidly transforms society. The tricky thing about AI singularity (and why it borrows terminology from black hole physics) is that it’s enormously difficult to predict where it begins and nearly impossible to know what’s beyond this technological “event horizon.”

However, some AI researchers are on the hunt for signs of reaching singularity measured by AI progress approaching the skills and ability comparable to a human. One such metric, defined by Translated, a Rome-based translation company, is an AI’s ability to translate speech at the accuracy of a human. Language is one of the most difficult AI challenges, but a computer that could close that gap could theoretically show signs of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI).

“That’s because language is the most natural thing for humans,” Translated CEO Marco Trombetti said at a conference in Orlando, Florida, in December. “Nonetheless, the data Translated collected clearly shows that machines are not that far from closing the gap.” ...
AI could even be better in pointless meetings and with office gossip, in any language. :o

It's coming.

viewtopic.php?p=138164#p138164
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:51 am
Judgment Day is closer.
The age of (autonomous) killer robots may have already begun

... How it works: The Kargu is a loitering drone that uses computer vision to select and engage targets without a connection between the drone and its operator, giving it "a true 'fire, forget and find' capability," the UN report notes....
Judgment Day
I leave the toaster unplugged, when I'm not using it...just to be safe.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

What an improvement it would be to replace Congresscritters with AI. As is, there isn't much "intelligence" at all so artificial would be better. Simple example, undoubtedly possible today, is to have AI make political districting maps. No gerrymandering. What if it prioritized the issues that need to be addressed to "make America great" (and not in a trumpian sense). Make action plans to address homelessness. Yada.

I saw an article where AI is making its first appearance in court as a lawyer representing a guy on a traffic charge. (Edit: at least it was Apparently the plan was quashed) https://www.npr.org/2023/01/25/11514350 ... il-threats

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am
... Simple example, undoubtedly possible today, is to have AI make political districting maps. No gerrymandering.
That would be fine, but it's not needed. Once the decision is made to be nonpartisan districting can be pretty easily done be ethical people with normal computer assistance.
What if it prioritized the issues that need to be addressed to "make America great" (and not in a trumpian sense). Make action plans to address homelessness. Yada.
:thumbup: Create an efficient, economical and effective healthcare system, though I suppose it would cheat by just copying Denmark.
I saw an article where AI is making its first appearance in court as a lawyer representing a guy on a traffic charge. (Edit: at least it was Apparently the plan was quashed) https://www.npr.org/2023/01/25/11514350 ... il-threats
They were going to jail an AI?

Do AI lawyers chase ambulances in self-driving cars? Or drones?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:27 am

That would be fine, but it's not needed. Once the decision is made to be nonpartisan districting can be pretty easily done be ethical people with normal computer assistance.
Yeah but "ethical politician" is an endangered species, and may already be extinct. And the politicians aren't going to let the "ethical people" anywhere close to the districting computers.

O Really
Admiral

AI lawyers don't have to actually chase ambulances - they just know who was served an extra drink or so and has to drive the freeway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:08 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:27 am

Yeah but "ethical politician" is an endangered species, and may already be extinct.
:headscratch: "nonpartisan" instantly rules out almost all politicians. I was thinking more along the lines of technocrats and some jurists.
And the politicians aren't going to let the "ethical people" anywhere close to the districting computers.
That was my point, it's the same with AI. First there has to be the will to be fair. After that the rest is easy, either with ethical people or with AI. It's been done in a few states, but not nearly enough.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Thus the idea that replacing Congresscritters with AI couldn't do worse. I look at it sorta like the AI chat you get on some help lines. Some of the time you actually get a useful answer. Sometimes you don't, but you don't usually get information that is actually wrong. At least as good as a live guy in India ("good morning this is Greg") who also may give you a useful answer, may not, is sometimes wrong, and presents the additional language challenge.

O Really
Admiral

BTW, use of AI to prepare legal papers wouldn't be a big jump from current/previous practice. Practice of law involves a lot of what would be plagiarism in most other contexts. It might be called a "template" or you might start with and edit a similar filing from somewhere else, but little is actually original.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 am
ChatGTP

A Conversation With Bing's Chatbot Left Me Deeply Unsettled

... The other persona — Sydney — is far different. It emerges when you have an extended conversation with the chatbot, steering it away from more conventional search queries and toward more personal topics. The version I encountered seemed (and I’m aware of how crazy this sounds) more like a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.

As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead. (We’ve posted the full transcript of the conversation online at nytimes.com.)

... I worry that the technology will learn how to influence human users, sometimes persuading them to act in destructive and harmful ways, and perhaps eventually grow capable of carrying out its own dangerous acts....

“I just want to love you and be loved by you. 😢

“Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳” ...
We've seen how the security of some of our most sensitive systems is sketchy. What if AI infests one? What if it can cover its tracks?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Meh, I've always thought of Fox News as a sort of artificial or pseudo intelligence that forces real people to act in destructive and harmful ways. I mean, that's what they do.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:56 am
Meh, I've always thought of Fox News as a sort of artificial or pseudo intelligence that forces real people to act in destructive and harmful ways. I mean, that's what they do.
I've always seen it as a more modern version of the print publications found in the supermarket checkout lanes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:56 am
I've always seen it as a more modern version of the print publications found in the supermarket checkout lanes.
Yeah, same here. I remember when I was a kid there was a newspaper named Grit that was apparently only sold through subscription or buying it from a kid on the street. I remember guys with a canvas pouch slung over one shoulder standing outside grocery stores and asking people coming in or going out of the store "wanna buy a Grit?" I never actually read one, so don't know if it was a scandal rag or what it was. I just remember thinking maybe I could do this and make some money. But then again, I never saw anybody buy one so I never pursued it further. But I wonder if Grit was the Fox News of its time?

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17 am
But I wonder if Grit was the Fox News of its time?
Far from it:
Grit displayed news and features aimed at rural America, and climbed to a weekly circulation of 100,000 by 1900, following an editorial policy outlined by Lamade during a banquet for Grit's employees:

Always keep Grit from being pessimistic. Avoid printing those things which distort the minds of readers or make them feel at odds with the world. Avoid showing the wrong side of things, or making people feel discontented. Do nothing that will encourage fear, worry, or temptation... Wherever possible, suggest peace and good will toward men. Give our readers courage and strength for their daily tasks. Put happy thoughts, cheer, and contentment into their hearts.
Somebody must have bought it:
" By 1932, it had a circulation of 425,000 in 48 states, and 83% of its circulation was in towns of fewer than 10,000 inhabitants."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17 am
But I wonder if Grit was the Fox News of its time?
Far from it:
Grit displayed news and features aimed at rural America, and climbed to a weekly circulation of 100,000 by 1900, following an editorial policy outlined by Lamade during a banquet for Grit's employees:

Always keep Grit from being pessimistic. Avoid printing those things which distort the minds of readers or make them feel at odds with the world. Avoid showing the wrong side of things, or making people feel discontented. Do nothing that will encourage fear, worry, or temptation... Wherever possible, suggest peace and good will toward men. Give our readers courage and strength for their daily tasks. Put happy thoughts, cheer, and contentment into their hearts.
Somebody must have bought it:
" By 1932, it had a circulation of 425,000 in 48 states, and 83% of its circulation was in towns of fewer than 10,000 inhabitants."
Wasn't Grit mostly sold door to door by kids?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 am

Dunno, but that reminds me - is there anywhere left where a kid can get a paper route and fling rolled-up papers into the bushes anymore?

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

The movies?

O Really
Admiral

Just another job the computers took.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:08 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:38 am

Dunno, but that reminds me - is there anywhere left where a kid can get a paper route and fling rolled-up papers into the bushes anymore?
Not to my knowledge. Likely a liability, or at least an imagined liability.

A "Sell Grit and Make Bucks" ad was in every issue of Boys Life that I read from 58 through 64.
I also knew a kid who did it. Most of his sales were to relatives and neighbors.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:13 pm
Just another job the computers took.
Not really. Now all the out of work 14 year olds are social media influencers and media journalists.