Recipes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Recipes

Unread post by JTA »

Economy Chicken:

First beat your meat with a mallet to make it nice and tender. Then:

1) Random amount of Cajun seasoning.
2) Any amount of Old Bay
3) Add some Seasoned salt.
4) Some onion powder.

Grill. Eat.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: Recipes

Unread post by Wneglia »

Here's a real recipe and a picture of my end result:

NO KNEAD BREAD

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

:mrgreen:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

It's high time I share some of JTA's Magic Rice McPeppyChicken recipe so you can all join me in the spiritual chicken journey.

1) Chicken
2) Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids (Do not use soy sauce instead,). it's not the same.)
3) Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Not the preground kind. you gotta grind it yourself.)
4) Onion Powder
5) Olive Oil or any kind of oil except motor oil.

A) Dump some oil in your pan. Slap the chicken on the the pan. Medium heat.
B) Pour some Bragg's Liquid amino acid on the chicken in the pan all fancy like they do in the chef TV shows. Grind some lemon pepper seasoning (get the grind kind) and lightning bolt some onion powder on the chicken.
C) Cook.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Spaghetti - water - cook.

Meal of the Gods.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:Spaghetti - water - cook.

Meal of the Gods.
Sauce?!

This one was taught to me by a wizard that lives in a mountain:

Ice:

1) Water
2) Cold (Less than 32F or 0C if Fahrenheit isn't available in your country. I usually use Fahrenheit though, tastes better).
3) Cook overnight.

Enjoy.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Boiled eggs - scrambled in the shell...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

OK this is not a recipe, but wanted to relate a wine selection we made (actually Mrs. Doc selected it from our cellar). I cooked a crock pot quail tonight and we had a 2006 Rust en VREDE red which is a South African blend of Cab Merlot and Shiraz that was absolutely fantastic. I bought a case a few years ago on a whim because of the name Vrede, and tried a bottle when it arrived, and was underwhelmed. Fast forward a few years of cellaring time and it is a very very nice wine. Kudos to the "Goat Do Roam" namesake.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

I quite enjoyed my bottle, and it wasn't here long before opening. Can't remember the food pairing.

There are some young goats across the road from us.......
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

k9nanny wrote: "There are some young goats across the road from us......."
And some old ones that frequent these boards....... :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Wneglia wrote:OK this is not a recipe, but wanted to relate a wine selection we made (actually Mrs. Doc selected it from our cellar). I cooked a crock pot quail tonight and we had a 2006 Rust en VREDE red which is a South African blend of Cab Merlot and Shiraz that was absolutely fantastic. I bought a case a few years ago on a whim because of the name Vrede, and tried a bottle when it arrived, and was underwhelmed. Fast forward a few years of cellaring time and it is a very very nice wine. Kudos to the "Goat Do Roam" namesake.

Sutter Home - White Zinfindel. Let age in fridge until cold. Consume with Pizza.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

NASCAR has it's own wine now.

Which answers the question "What wine goes with chili corn dogs?"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

JTA wrote:
Wneglia wrote:OK this is not a recipe, but wanted to relate a wine selection we made (actually Mrs. Doc selected it from our cellar). I cooked a crock pot quail tonight and we had a 2006 Rust en VREDE red which is a South African blend of Cab Merlot and Shiraz that was absolutely fantastic. I bought a case a few years ago on a whim because of the name Vrede, and tried a bottle when it arrived, and was underwhelmed. Fast forward a few years of cellaring time and it is a very very nice wine. Kudos to the "Goat Do Roam" namesake.

Sutter Home - White Zinfindel. Let age in fridge until cold. Consume with Pizza.
Ye gods! I got a bottle of that stuff not long ago thinking it was some sort of rust remover. Guess I should have drank it after realizing it did nothing for "vreeing" rusted metal parts.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Wneglia wrote:Here's a real recipe and a picture of my end result:

NO KNEAD BREAD

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

That bread looks damn good. I might have to try this out this weekend.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Recipe: everything

Ingredients: Tonys Creole seasoning.

Where has this stuff been my whole life?

It even says in the container "use in everything". They're not lying!

I put some on my chicken. Then my coffee. Even an open wound i had.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:It's high time I share some of JTA's Magic Rice McPeppyChicken recipe so you can all join me in the spiritual chicken journey.

1) Chicken
2) Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids (Do not use soy sauce instead,). it's not the same.)
3) Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Not the preground kind. you gotta grind it yourself.)
4) Onion Powder
5) Olive Oil or any kind of oil except motor oil.

A) Dump some oil in your pan. Slap the chicken on the the pan. Medium heat.
B) Pour some Bragg's Liquid amino acid on the chicken in the pan all fancy like they do in the chef TV shows. Grind some lemon pepper seasoning (get the grind kind) and lightning bolt some onion powder on the chicken.
C) Cook.
I use Braggs a lot. Their other products are good too, but my dog won't touch anything, not even steak, that has any Braggs amino
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

For best boiled peanuts use 8 or 10 ounces of Tony Chachere's. Sounds like a lot, but is perfect
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:25 pm
For best boiled peanuts use 8 or 10 ounces of Tony Chachere's. Sounds like a lot, but is perfect
I have reached the peak of boiled peanut perfection.

Someone told me that they season as I do, but cook for 90 minutes in the pressure cooker, then simmer for an hour or all day.

They come out of the pressure cooker almost perfect. After simmering they are perfection.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not soggy?
I'm not really a boiled peanut fan, but the time I really enjoyed them somebody made them with the very large size peanuts, seemed less salt than most and the still had a fairly solid consistency. Probably nothing like a connoisseur would consider a perfect boiled peanut, but I thought they were good.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm
Not soggy?
I'm not really a boiled peanut fan, but the time I really enjoyed them somebody made them with the very large size peanuts, seemed less salt than most and the still had a fairly solid consistency. Probably nothing like a connoisseur would consider a perfect boiled peanut, but I thought they were good.
If you get them fresh and hot they are really good.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:32 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm
Not soggy?
If you get them fresh and hot they are really good.
Not soggy at all and all were cooked exactly the same, unlike the normal all day simmer.

Yeah, best served hot. I don't know if you can get fresh green peanuts where you are. That's another requirement. They are the biggest ag crop here.