Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Good news/kindness only (please) thread

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:52 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:43 pm
Well, I still have that Roku stick (somewhere) but really haven't felt the need.

And yes, it DID require that I give it my credit card number before it would be of any use.
OK, you got a defective model. Or it may just be an SBCAD error.
I doubt it was defective.

Again, I clearly remember, and I reported as such here, that it required a credit card number in order for it to proceed to create a Roku account.

I get by just fine with my antenna (great over the air digital broadcasts here) with NO "Roku".

I'd just as soon forget I ever plunked good money for the stick.

But it's you and others who keep on harping on and on about it.

You know what? I'm going to ignore further mentions of ROKU here. You all can just wallow in your ignorance.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

It is quite astounding how many of us and Roku can be so wrong and Useless can be so right on a consistent basis.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:29 pm
I'm going to ignore further mentions of ROKU here.
:lol: That's a great idea. We'll see how it works for you.
But either (a) Roku registration software treated you different from other people; or (b) you got a defective model; or (c) you were mistaken in how you followed the registration process. Probably (a) or (b).

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:53 pm
Ulysses wrote:
I'm going to ignore further mentions of ROKU here.
:lol: That's a great idea. We'll see how it works for you.
But either (a) Roku registration software treated you different from other people; or (b) you got a defective model; or (c) you were mistaken in how you followed the registration process. Probably (a) or (b).
Pfft.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Well, I still have that Roku stick (somewhere) but really haven't felt the need.

And yes, it DID require that I give it my credit card number before it would be of any use.
I doubt it was defective.

Again, I clearly remember, and I reported as such here, that it required a credit card number in order for it to proceed to create a Roku account.

I get by just fine with my antenna (great over the air digital broadcasts here) with NO "Roku".

I'd just as soon forget I ever plunked good money for the stick.

But it's you and others who keep on harping on and on about it.

You know what? I'm going to ignore further mentions of ROKU here. You all can just wallow in your ignorance.
Liar
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Pfft.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

I can't get no Roku action, 'cause I've tried, and I've tried, and I've tried. I can't get no.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:07 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 pm
Yeah, it's obvious.....stage nine skin rot. Hell, her legs are almost gone. She's apparently crazy, too....stealing a pack of skin splints and not even trying to conceal them. Pitiful
Still looks pretty good, under the circumstances.
She may be a little stressed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sherri-papin ... 05909.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

viewtopic.php?p=68087#p68087
Mr.B wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:12 pm
Mr.B wrote:Missing California Mom found alive

"My take.... 2 women with a gun? An indescribable SUV? Restrained, but able to make it to safety? My guess is she went on a fling and the possibly invented story just ain't gonna hold water...I'm hope I'm wrong."
O Really wrote:I found the story a bit strange, particularly given the amount of time she was gone. She seemed relatively unharmed and had apparently been fed. So since there was no attempt at ransom, one has to wonder what the motivation for the abduction was.
May the Lord forgive me! I was wrong; so wrong!

That poor woman was beaten, her beautiful hair chopped off, and she was burned and branded!
What possesses someone to do such cruelty to another human being...

I feel so sorry for her and her family; and, I feel so humiliated and ashamed of my judgment of her...
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:15 pm
If they'd given out accurate information to start with, a lot of us wouldn't have found it looking so suspicious.
Funny that it really was suspicious af. 6 years later, maybe the end of the saga:
California woman gets 18 months for kidnapping hoax in 2016

... Sherri Papini, 40, pleaded guilty last spring to staging the abduction and lying to the FBI about it. As part of a plea bargain, she is required to pay more than $300,000 in restitution.

Probation officers and Papini’s attorney had recommended that she spend a month in custody and seven months in supervised home detention, while prosecutors wanted her to serve the eight months behind bars. But Senior U.S. District Judge William Shubb said he opted for an 18-month sentence in order to deter others.

The judge said he considered the seriousness of the offense and “the sheer number of people who were impacted." They included law enforcement officers who searched for her, the community that believed her for four years, those who lived in fear because of her fake story of being abducted by two Hispanic women, and the Latino community that was falsely viewed with suspicion.

“The nation is watching,” Shubb said, paraphrasing prosecutors' argument in a court filing. “They need to be sent the right message. ...We have to make sure crime doesn't pay."

... Shubb ordered her to serve 36 months of supervision after her release, a year longer than probation officers had sought. The twin charges carried a maximum possible sentence of 25 years in prison.
:---P We BRDistas could have sent in an impact statement.
... Papini has never given a rational explanation for her behavior, which included months of careful planning before she disappeared and temporarily abandoned her children, who are most precious to her, (defense attorney William) Portanova said. Her actions stumped even independent mental health experts who said they didn’t conform with any typical diagnosis.

Portanova blamed it on “what sounds like a fierce storm that was going on for a long time inside her head" but said she is now a changed woman.
-0-?
... After her arrest in March, Papini received more than $30,000 worth of psychiatric care for anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. She billed the state’s victim compensation fund for the treatment and was ordered to pay it back as part of her restitution.

As part of the plea agreement, she has agreed to reimburse law enforcement agencies more than $150,000 for the costs of the search for her and her nonexistent kidnappers, and repay the $128,000 she received in disability payments since her return.

But Shubb said she is unlikely to ever be able to repay the money “unless she wins the lottery.”
Move to SoCal and teach acting.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Buffalo woman found a stranger crying for help in the blizzard with a tote bag frozen to his hands. She scrapped her Christmas plans to care for him.

Sha'Kyra Rain Aughtry and Joe White.

... In a Facebook post and video on December 25, Sha'Kyra Aughtry said she found a man with special needs screaming for help on the street on the morning of December 24.

Aughtry and her boyfriend decided to take the man — who has been identified as Joe White — into her home, bathing, feeding, and tending to his injuries.
:cry: :clap: :-||
"I currently have a 64-year-old white man in my house," Aughtry said in the video, adding that the man "was being blown up and down the street — it was out of control.

... It took two days before White could be transported from Aughtry's home to ECMC Hospital in Buffalo, where he is currently being treated, per a GoFundMe page White's coworker Chris Dearing set up to help White cover his medical bills.

Dearing wrote on the page that White, who is mentally disabled, "did not understand the true severity of the storm." As of December 28, the GoFundMe had raised more than $66,000, more than tripling its goal of raising $20,000.

White is in stable condition and "in good spirits," but it's unclear if he will have lasting damage to his hands, per the GoFundMe page.

Dearing has also set up a GoFundMe page for Aughtry, who "put her Christmas plans aside and tended to his wounds the best she could." Aughtry is a mother of three children, according to her Instagram profile....

The page has since raised more than $126,000 — far outpacing its goal of raising $20,000....
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:18 pm
A Buffalo woman found a stranger crying for help in the blizzard with a tote bag frozen to his hands. She scrapped her Christmas plans to care for him.

Sha'Kyra Rain Aughtry and Joe White.

... In a Facebook post and video on December 25, Sha'Kyra Aughtry said she found a man with special needs screaming for help on the street on the morning of December 24.

Aughtry and her boyfriend decided to take the man — who has been identified as Joe White — into her home, bathing, feeding, and tending to his injuries.
:cry: :clap: :-||
"I currently have a 64-year-old white man in my house," Aughtry said in the video, adding that the man "was being blown up and down the street — it was out of control.

... It took two days before White could be transported from Aughtry's home to ECMC Hospital in Buffalo, where he is currently being treated, per a GoFundMe page White's coworker Chris Dearing set up to help White cover his medical bills.

Dearing wrote on the page that White, who is mentally disabled, "did not understand the true severity of the storm." As of December 28, the GoFundMe had raised more than $66,000, more than tripling its goal of raising $20,000.

White is in stable condition and "in good spirits," but it's unclear if he will have lasting damage to his hands, per the GoFundMe page.

Dearing has also set up a GoFundMe page for Aughtry, who "put her Christmas plans aside and tended to his wounds the best she could." Aughtry is a mother of three children, according to her Instagram profile....

The page has since raised more than $126,000 — far outpacing its goal of raising $20,000....
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Great that he's alive due to the care of a stranger/savior. Even more so if he was a racist before his near death experience, but wouldn't Medicare have taken care of his medical expenses?

But then he could have had one of those lil bush Advantage plans.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:50 pm
Great that he's alive due to the care of a stranger/savior. Even more so if he was a racist before his near death experience, but wouldn't Medicare have taken care of his medical expenses?

"racist"?

There may be uncovered medical costs. Otherwise, fine with me if the $$$ go to housing, food, transportation, whatever.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

"racist"?

There may be uncovered medical costs. Otherwise, fine with me if the $$$ go to housing, food, transportation, whatever.

I never said the man was a racist, but I do have a problem with people donating to what they understand to be a do or die type cause that is already covered - in this case by Medicare or possibly bush's bs Advantage plans.

I do have a problem with people believing they are doing good by helping these few Headline cases while thousands more struggle without help. Wouldn't it be better to see some of these donations going towards Medicare for All and towards ending the gop plan to destroy Medicare through their bs fake Medicare Advantage bs?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think the guy was 64 - a year below Medicare age in most cases.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:57 pm
Damn, he sure looked older. He probably needed every cent. A lot of people can't afford obamacare

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

"racist"?

I never said the man was a racist,
Where did the notion come from then?
but I do have a problem with people donating to what they understand to be a do or die type cause that is already covered - in this case by Medicare or possibly bush's bs Advantage plans.
I figure that a mentally impaired person found frozen outdoors can use the money whatever medical bills may already be covered. I haven't looked up the GoFundMe to assess the wording of the plea.
I do have a problem with people believing they are doing good by helping these few Headline cases while thousands more struggle without help. Wouldn't it be better to see some of these donations going towards Medicare for All and towards ending the gop plan to destroy Medicare through their bs fake Medicare Advantage bs?
Individuals and govt spend so much money on fucked up things that I don't begrudge generosity of any kind by speculating on whether it's the "best" directed generosity, unless it's a scam like a Dolt .45 charity.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:57 pm
Don't the mentally disabled get Medicare, or is Medicaid only available to them?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:27 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

"racist"?

I never said the man was a racist,
Where did the notion come from then?
but I do have a problem with people donating to what they understand to be a do or die type cause that is already covered - in this case by Medicare or possibly bush's bs Advantage plans.
I figure that a mentally impaired person found frozen outdoors can use the money whatever medical bills may already be covered. I haven't looked up the GoFundMe to assess the wording of the plea.
Individuals and govt spend so much money on fucked up things that I don't begrudge generosity of any kind by speculating on whether it's the "best" directed generosity, unless it's a scam like a Dolt .45 charity.
There have been so many scams attempted through Go Fund Me and fake charities that I'm a little jaded about them.

As for my comment about racism, read what I said:
"Great that he's alive due to the care of a stranger/savior. Even more so if he was a racist before his near death experience,"
I didn't call him a racist, or even imply that he might be. I clearly said that I love it when a racist finds that he's alive due to the compassion of the good Samaritans in the group he has always looked down on. Don't you?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:06 am
There have been so many scams attempted through Go Fund Me and fake charities that I'm a little jaded about them.
Understood, but this one doesn't feel like a scam to me - real disabled person, real injuries, real hospitalization, some or a lot of uncovered costs, real needs like housing for at least the rest of the Buffalo winter, etc.
"Great that he's alive due to the care of a stranger/savior. Even more so if he was a racist before his near death experience,"
I didn't call him a racist, or even imply that he might be. I clearly said that I love it when a racist finds that he's alive due to the compassion of the good Samaritans in the group he has always looked down on. Don't you?
Sure, though I can't think of any irl examples. It just seemed like an odd thing to bring up absent any evidence other than their races. I don't think that frail racists do very well on the streets.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:29 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:06 am
Understood, but this one doesn't feel like a scam to me - real disabled person, real injuries, real hospitalization, some or a lot of uncovered costs, real needs like housing for at least the rest of the Buffalo winter, etc.
Sure, though I can't think of any irl examples. It just seemed like an odd thing to bring up absent any evidence other than their races. I don't think that frail racists do very well on the streets.
Where do you get he was "on the streets"
He had a job and didn't understand the severity of the storm.
And I still love stories where people who are the objects of prejudice step in to save those who hate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24653643

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/14/uk/londo ... index.html

https://youtu.be/TZx1cQfIKsM