The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:04 pm
In the last 30 seconds these idiots are sticking their faces up against the exhaust.

https://youtu.be/kxuDoJEPp1o?si=cZYo1jEeYXpixI1j
I endorse the behavior displayed in the last 30 seconds. :twisted:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:32 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:04 pm
In the last 30 seconds these idiots are sticking their faces up against the exhaust.

https://youtu.be/kxuDoJEPp1o?si=cZYo1jEeYXpixI1j
I endorse the behavior displayed in the last 30 seconds. :twisted:
Ain't that insane
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:53 am
Ain't that insane
More insanity:
Tesla lands in hot water after new report alleges the company told a huge, long-term lie about its vehicles

... Tesla apparently went one step further, advertising range estimates that were not based in reality, going as far as to rig the range-estimating software within its cars.

Per Reuters, “a person familiar with an early design of the software for its in-dash readouts” said that Tesla’s range meter would show “rosy” projections for how far a car could travel on a full battery. Then, once the battery fell to under 50% charged, the projection would switch to a realistic number so as to avoid actually leaving drivers stranded with an empty battery.

However, drivers who noticed the abrupt switch thought something was wrong with their cars and scheduled service appointments. That’s where the “Diversion Team” came in.

The team was reportedly tasked with identifying customers who had scheduled appointments based on the misleading range estimates. From there, they were meant to tell those customers there was nothing wrong with their cars and that they should cancel their appointments — without ever telling them what the actual issue had been.

The issue of Tesla’s range estimates being inaccurate has been reported previously — earlier this year, the South Korean government fined the EV maker $2.2 million for failing to tell customers about the shorter driving range of its cars in low temperatures, Reuters reported.

However, the extent of how intentionally Tesla misled its customers and then attempted to cover it up had not previously been known.

Tesla has been forced to settle several lawsuits over violating consumers’ rights, including a recent one in which the company was accused of doubling the price of its solar roofs after customers had already signed a contract....
Elon sucks.

Cruise self-driving cars cause traffic jam on Austin city street
'This is getting out of hand.'

Video
Video

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I haven't noticed the range change. Maybe I should pay better attention or maybe the fix wasn't on all cars.

We never tried self driving. We bought it, but heard too much negative to try it.
We use summons a lot, mostly at home. due to parking single file we can back it out and park it on the street from the van, then pull it back in after moving the van out.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:wtf: Guess.
Spoiler:

"A propane tank was being stored in the back seat with the windows rolled up."

Cigarette Sparks Explosion Inside Dodge Charger, Starts House Fire
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

How does this story not start off with "A Florida man..."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm
:D Carolina Woman got game, too.

I did mean guess how it happened. I'd guessed wrong.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Deadly half million dollar crash in Italy
Worst of all - killed two people in the red Ferrari
4 injured, 2 each in the RV and blue Lamborghini
Ferrari Portofino - $244,000+
Lamborghini Huracán - $206,000 to $271,000
RV - $50,000 to $100,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUvlm76B9mg

Video showing the minute before the wreck

:o :(
Couple Dies After Ferrari, Lamborghini And Campervan Crash In Italy
During a supercar rally in Sardinia, a Ferrari Portofino and Lamborghini Huracán crashed with a campervan while attempting to pass on the highway

... The driver of the Lamborghini is facing homicide charges as dashcam footage shared of the crash shows them attempting the overtake on a solid white line, which means no passing is permitted....
:x Idiots. Slow down and enjoy the countryside.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Not intentional, I'm sure, but the dark car hit exactly as a PIT maneuver, with the exact consequences that are warned for attempting it faster than about 35mph.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Shocking video, not what I was expecting:

Utah teen drifts over median before crashing head-on into two cars, dashcam video shows
Spoiler:

Reminds me of those bucolic prank gotcha vids with a pop-up ghoul.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm
:D

"A motorcycle rider in Florida ..."

Watch This Motorcycle Rider Survive A Horrific Highway Crash
The lengthy list of injuries included over two dozen fractures and a collapsed lung

Full video, mostly just fast riding with some weaving. Skip to 3:45 for the wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hPMM0APwvs

This is so dramatic that I might have posted it, regardless, but also striking to me is a trick of videography. The 360-degree camera shows the entire bike throughout and even the few feet of highway behind it. However, missing from this view is any hint of the camera pole that is clear in the bike shadow. Fascinating illusion, I thought there was a following rider doing the videoing at first.

Anyhow, fta:
My accident from about 4 months ago. I call it an accident but it was clearly my fault. Too much confidence for too little skill. Thankfully made it out alive, and didn’t lose any limbs. 20+ fractures in my face, broke arm in half in two different places, collapsed lung, broken rib, two fractured spine discs.
It’s good that Speed Demon acknowledged that his actions caused the crash. The collision could have easily ended with him under the wheels of the tractor-trailer. He’s fortunate that he can hope to get on a motorcycle again.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Runaway double-bottom semi takes out 33 cars as it barrels into dealership [UPDATED VIDEO]
The truck left a 1.5-mile trail of destruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZoWQRJUsu8

Havoc was wreaked on several Utah intersections on November 3 when a double-bottom dump truck lost its brakes. With no way to stop, the semi careened through an intersection, taking out several cars before plowing into a Ford/Chrysler dealership and catching fire.

According to KSL News, 33 vehicles including the semi truck were involved in the crash in Tooele, Utah. Eleven people were injured, one critically. That individual was airlifted to a Salt Lake City hospital....
:o Nobody died, amazing, truck driver uninjured. Throttle must have jammed, too. 2 more videos at the link.

Hit-and-run driver who struck girl on bike identified by police

:shock: Incredible, only road rash.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So there was a huge fire under the I-10 freeway near downtown LA. Melted a lot of steel, ruined many support pillars. Cause of the fire was arson, starting in a huge pile of pallet storage. There are a lot of homeless around there, with some conflicts with the company storing the pallets. One theory is that the pallet company complained to the extent that the city cleared out the homeless, some or one of whom set the fire in revenge. Probably expected just to burn up some pallets and had no idea how far out of control and how much damage would occur.

Anyway, back to the cars. The 10 is a main freeway through the city, carrying about 300,000 cars/day and now it's closed. So if you look on Google maps with the traffic feature turned on, the entire greater LA area is bright red. (around 6pm PDT) Every major road and a lot of lesser ones are jammed.

How big a mess is it? Well, from Santa Monica to San Bernardino is about 70 miles. From Santa Clarita to Irvine is about 60 miles. That works out to be about 2,500 square miles of traffic mess.

And at this point they have no idea how long it's going to take to fix.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:08 pm

Thought I heard 4-5 weeks.

Edit: yeah

https://abcnews.go.com/US/los-angeles-c ... =104846719
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Seriously?

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:00 pm
O Really wrote:

I-85 collapse in Atlanta

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interst ... e_collapse

Three individuals were arrested in connection with the fire, although the charges were later dropped.[3][4] An NTSB report determined that the Georgia Department of Transportation contributed to the incident by unsafely storing materials under the bridge.[1]

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:42 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

I-85 collapse in Atlanta

Three individuals were arrested in connection with the fire, although the charges were later dropped. An NTSB report determined that the Georgia Department of Transportation contributed to the incident by unsafely storing materials under the bridge.
Could be arson and could be an unhoused perp, but it seems that people are leaping to the latter assumption awful rapidly. I'd also like to see some discussion of things like mandatory automatic sprinkler systems beneath critical transportation infrastructure, especially after Atlanta's I-85 experience.

Reminds me of the 1989 Loma Prieta (World Series) earthquake and the collapses of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge and Oakland's Interstate 880/Cypress Viaduct.

The Bay Bridge took over a month to reopen. It currently "carries about 260,000 vehicles a day". It was probably fewer in 1989, but maybe not by much. It took 8-12 years to reroute and replace the Cypress structure, stressing Interstate 980 in the interim. Idk what its 1989 traffic figures were, much of which was going to or from the Bay Bridge. Other roadways were severely affected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma ... sportation
It was a mess, but people coped.

I was not commuting to Oakland until a year later, phew, and soon just moved to Oakland, anyhow.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:06 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:42 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

I-85 collapse in Atlanta

Three individuals were arrested in connection with the fire, although the charges were later dropped. An NTSB report determined that the Georgia Department of Transportation contributed to the incident by unsafely storing materials under the bridge.
Could be arson and could be an unhoused perp, but it seems that people are leaping to the latter assumption awful rapidly. I'd also like to see some discussion of things like mandatory automatic sprinkler systems beneath critical transportation infrastructure, especially after Atlanta's I-85 experience.

Reminds me of the 1989 Loma Prieta (World Series) earthquake and the collapses of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge and Oakland's Interstate 880/Cypress Viaduct.

The Bay Bridge took over a month to reopen. It currently "carries about 260,000 vehicles a day". It was probably fewer in 1989, but maybe not by much. It took 8-12 years to reroute and replace the Cypress structure, stressing Interstate 980 in the interim. Idk what its 1989 traffic figures were, much of which was going to or from the Bay Bridge. Other roadways were severely affected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Loma ... sportation
It was a mess, but people coped.

I was not commuting to Oakland until a year later, phew, and soon just moved to Oakland, anyhow.
Yep, and as slogans go - My bridge ain’t your covered storage bin.

O Really
Admiral

To clarify, they have determined that it was arson, but have not attributed it to any homeless people. That is a theory, though, since there have been altercations between some homeless and the contractor. Apparently the storage was legal, but of course legal doesn't mean wise.

Look on google street view close to the I-10 freeway at 14th and 10th streets. Pretty much anywhere around there and you can see what it was like before the fire.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:52 am
I haven't noticed the range change. Maybe I should pay better attention or maybe the fix wasn't on all cars.

We never tried self driving. We bought it, but heard too much negative to try it.
We use summons a lot, mostly at home. due to parking single file we can back it out and park it on the street from the van, then pull it back in after moving the van out.
Check your manual, is there a warning about a fire risk from salt water submersion? ;)

Watch as submerged Tesla Model X at Florida boat ramp burns underwater
A day on the water turns into smoke on the water

:shock:

Tesla BURNS underwater in Submarine Mode

"Submarine Mode" :lol:

"That'll teach them for owning a jet ski. Wankers :laughing-rolling:
1312. ETTD.