The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by O Really »

Somebody thinks it's a good idea to use an electric car as a boat tow. Right. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, wait.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:51 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:52 am
I haven't noticed the range change. Maybe I should pay better attention or maybe the fix wasn't on all cars.

We never tried self driving. We bought it, but heard too much negative to try it.
We use summons a lot, mostly at home. due to parking single file we can back it out and park it on the street from the van, then pull it back in after moving the van out.
Check your manual, is there a warning about a fire risk from salt water submersion? ;)

Watch as submerged Tesla Model X at Florida boat ramp burns underwater
A day on the water turns into smoke on the water

:shock:

Tesla BURNS underwater in Submarine Mode

"Submarine Mode" :lol:

"That'll teach them for owning a jet ski. Wankers." :laughing-rolling:
O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:47 am
Somebody thinks it's a good idea to use an electric car as a boat tow. Right. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, wait.
I don't think boat towing is the issue. It's not a good idea to put any vehicle in the water along with a boat.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:03 am
O Really wrote:
I don't think boat towing is the issue. It's not a good idea to put any vehicle in the water along with a boat.
Well sure, it's not really the dry-land towing, it's the loading/unloading. That's one of the things they make trucks for. It's not unusual for the rear tires to be in the water, but there's a bit of difference in ground clearance.

BTW, sitting at a public boat launch for a while can be entertaining in itself. Maybe nobody burns in the water, but there's almost always some excitement to see. :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:23 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:03 am
O Really wrote:
Well sure, it's not really the dry-land towing, it's the loading/unloading. That's one of the things they make trucks for. It's not unusual for the rear tires to be in the water, but there's a bit of difference in ground clearance.

BTW, sitting at a public boat launch for a while can be entertaining in itself. Maybe nobody burns in the water, but there's almost always some excitement to see. :lol:
Miami Boat Ramps
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:49 am
To clarify, they have determined that it was arson, but have not attributed it to any homeless people. That is a theory, though, since there have been altercations between some homeless and the contractor. Apparently the storage was legal, but of course legal doesn't mean wise.

Look on google street view close to the I-10 freeway at 14th and 10th streets. Pretty much anywhere around there and you can see what it was like before the fire.
Yeah, it's media speculation that it might be a homeless conflict, not coming from officials.

Re-opening tomorrow after just 8 days and in time for the holiday rush, not "3 to 5 weeks".
:-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-||

There's video of a "person of interest". No word on whether homeless, an insurance scammer or someone else. He may have burns, good.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:19 am
I didn't know that Tesla Autopilot includes airborne travel.
https://www.autoblog.com/2023/11/21/tes ... o-a-house/

Have you tried it yet? Looks like there are still some bugs to work out.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Price of the truck over $100K
Off road trucking around Moab

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/recovering- ... 00693.html

"This brand-spankin' new Ram TRX is essentially in its own category because it tumbled off a cliff in Utah, hitting every rock ledge on the way down."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:24 pm

"This brand-spankin' new Ram TRX is essentially in its own category because it tumbled off a cliff in Utah, hitting every rock ledge on the way down."
More good news :wave: , hero tween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBeJIbM_BRw
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:

Can't believe they walked away from that.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:34 am

Hero?

Not that I'd expect a straight answer, but WTF could he be thinking?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:59 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:34 am

Hero?

Not that I'd expect a straight answer, but WTF could he be thinking?
"thinking", at 12?

I would have admired the badass as a tween :twisted: , and I'll bet that he's now King of the Middle School.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:58 am
O Really wrote:

Yeah, but they likely weren't going fast and ended up in a slow-ish motion tumble. They would have been belted and the bags went off. I can't imagine taking a brand new truck out serious off-roading, but OTOH, if you aren't going to use the capability of the truck, why'd you buy it? Maybe for the same reason(s) me and my fellow Jeep drivers have vehicles that can literally climb rocks and go through 3 ft. water but mostly we drive the same places we could take a Prius. Maybe because it's fun?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm

"thinking", at 12?

I would have admired the badass as a tween :twisted: , and I'll bet that he's now King of the Middle School.
LOL

Yeah, there had to be a thought.

Could just be an I wanna or a fuck you.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:58 am
O Really wrote:

Yeah, but they likely weren't going fast and ended up in a slow-ish motion tumble. They would have been belted and the bags went off. I can't imagine taking a brand new truck out serious off-roading, but OTOH, if you aren't going to use the capability of the truck, why'd you buy it? Maybe for the same reason(s) me and my fellow Jeep drivers have vehicles that can literally climb rocks and go through 3 ft. water but mostly we drive the same places we could take a Prius. Maybe because it's fun?
And you look good and feel marvelous while doing it.

I'm sure it was a slow roll, but that's one messed up truck.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The tractor thread ...

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm

"thinking", at 12?

LOL

Yeah, there had to be a thought.

Could just be an I wanna or a fuck you.
Another police pursuit of a large vehicle:

Canadian Mounties seemingly PIT a large tractor in dramatic video
The driver ended up in the hospital, and the tractor took quite a beating

... A local news station reported that the driver may have been involved with a convoy that was in the area to protest teaching gender identity and sexual orientation topics in provincial schools....
Several other unanswered questions, so I'll reserve comment other than WOW, Canadians be :crazy: !
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The tractor thread ...

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:14 pm

Several other unanswered questions, so I'll reserve comment other than WOW, Canadians be :crazy: !
Holy shit, I wouldn't have thought they could PIT a tractor.

Wonder how they practiced that in cop school.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:51 pm
Guardrails can't do that
If they are installed properly. Lawsuit coming soon.
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:59 am
I thought these things are designed to collapse......like a Republican in the face of facts.
:lol: Bazinga.

Please tell your hero cousin in Arkansas that s/he has a fan in WNC.

Blackout Dodge Charger Smokes Arkansas Police Yet Again

:wave:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:51 pm
Guardrails can't do that
If they are installed properly. Lawsuit coming soon.
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:59 am
I thought these things are designed to collapse......like a Republican in the face of facts.
:lol: Bazinga.

Please tell your hero cousin in Arkansas that s/he has a fan in WNC.

Blackout Dodge Charger Smokes Arkansas Police Yet Again

:wave:
:lol: Even though my driver side mirror has a transfer sticker saying "objects in mirror will soon disappear" I'd never in hell run from cops. One broken belt (my car only has one that drives everything) or one flat tire can put a quick and brutal end to an escape attempt. Not to mention a certain trip to jail for whast those assholes call felony fleeing to avoid arrest. I think it even comes with guns drawn.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 am
:lol: Even though my driver side mirror has a transfer sticker saying "objects in mirror will soon disappear" I'd never in hell run from cops. One broken belt (my car only has one that drives everything) or one flat tire can put a quick and brutal end to an escape attempt. Not to mention a certain trip to jail for what those assholes call felony fleeing to avoid arrest. I think it even comes with guns drawn.
:thumbup: I've successfully run from them on foot, but doing so in a car almost never works out. That's what makes "your cousin" a hero.

:lol: Teslageddon:

:o
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:59 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 am
:lol: Even though my driver side mirror has a transfer sticker saying "objects in mirror will soon disappear" I'd never in hell run from cops. One broken belt (my car only has one that drives everything) or one flat tire can put a quick and brutal end to an escape attempt. Not to mention a certain trip to jail for what those assholes call felony fleeing to avoid arrest. I think it even comes with guns drawn.
:thumbup: I've successfully run from them on foot, but doing so in a car almost never works out. That's what makes "your cousin" a hero.

:o
Yeah, I once ran from the cops and got away when me and a friend were poking around a used car lot one night about midnight. I was about fourteen at the time. Anyway, for some reson the car lot had left all the cars unlicked with the keys in the ignition. I selected a 67 Buick Wildcat that had side pipe exhausts on both sides, started it up, and considered taking it for a spin. About that time the cops showed up. I ran like hell, almost got decapitated by a cothlesline in a backyard, managed to get back home and crawl back through the window I slithered out of. My friend also made it away clean. For two days we both looked at the local paper to see if our adventure was mentioned. It never was. Victory. :D