The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

400+ charges against Nissan of Shelby employees: NCDOT

"400+ charges"! :shock:

Shelby is about 1 hour from me.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:57 am
... I've been coal rolled several times. Heavy, heavy smoke for 10 seconds or more.

https://youtu.be/3nxgz6rOI_c
https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/c ... _vape_pen/

Opps, there's a solid white line for a reason. :violin:
Dashboard camera catches disturbing video of tailgating truck moments before crashing into median: ‘Those things should be illegal’

... It is often observed among truck drivers who are either looking to showboat on the road or simply inconvenience other drivers. Rolling coal can also be an attempt to counter sustainable practices and demean those who partake in them, with electric vehicle drivers a frequent target.

In order to roll coal, drivers illegally alter their trucks to produce diesel fumes 40 to 100 times more potent than what is legally acceptable for standard vehicles, according to the Sierra Club.
Sucks to suck, coal roller
As soon as I saw him rolling coal I was like "Fucking hope he smashed the shit out of that truck". I was not disappointed. Those things should be illegal.
When a lifted diesel pickup slows suddenly, it's usually a sign that they're setting up to 'roll coal' on the traffic behind them.

The sedan that changed lanes in front of them after they slowed interfered with their plan to rocket out of there leaving a smoke choking cloud behind so the cloud wasn't as big as it would have been and the truck driver got a little flustered between avoiding the car and also watching the effect in their rear-view mirror and ended up drifting into the barrier.
Good explanation.
Another pavement princess pickup truck dumb fuck
Everyone liked that.
You know he is thinking, "That silver car did this to me."
I'M GLAD HE FUCKED UP HIS DOUCHE CANOE.
Another coal rolling POS gets his dues.
I hope the person processing his insurance claim comes across this video and his claim is denied for gross negligence.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Indiana Man Busted For DUI While Driving Power Wheels Jeep

A man spotted driving a Power Wheels Jeep on an Indiana roadway was arrested for piloting the toy car while under the influence, police report.

John McKee, 51, was pulled over around 9 PM Wednesday when an Indiana State Police trooper noticed him driving a blue Power Wheels without lights or reflectors.

McKee was stopped near his home in Vincennes, a central Indiana city near the border with Illinois.

Since McKee appeared impaired, the trooper administered field sobriety tests (most of which McKee reportedly failed). McKee, who agreed to a blood draw at a local hospital, told cops that he had pot and crystal meth in his system, according to a criminal complaint.

McKee was released last night from custody after posting a $5000 bond on the felony rap, according to Knox County Sheriff’s Office records. His rap sheet includes numerous convictions, for crimes like trespass, possession of drug paraphernalia, marijuana possession, and criminal mischief.

As for McKee's ride--which can top out at 5 mph unless modified--"Troy's Towing was contacted to take possession of the Power Wheels," a trooper reported.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

States With The Most Confrontational Drivers 2023

Caveat: Survey based and thus subjective. For example, maybe the road rage is similar in two states, but people whine about it more in one of them. Factoring in police reports might have made it more credible.
Key Takeaways

* Arizona tops the list of states with the worst road rage, while Delaware is home to the most polite drivers in the nation.
* Five of the top 10 states with the most confrontational drivers are in the South, including West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas.
* Four of the top 10 states with the most polite drivers are in the Pacific and West, including Idaho, Wyoming, Washington and New Mexico.
1. Arizona
2. Rhode Island (how's that for a shift)
6. Alabama
8. Illinois
11. Montana :problem:
13. California
17. Florida
19. Maryland :|
27. New Jersey
30. South Carolina
33. North Carolina (tie) :thumbup: (the better Carolina :P )
35. Tennessee (neoplacebo wins)
44. Washington (O Really is win-adjacent)
50. Delaware
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:29 am
States With The Most Confrontational Drivers 2023

Caveat: Survey based and thus subjective. For example, maybe the road rage is similar in two states, but people whine about it more in one of them. Factoring in police reports might have made it more credible.
Key Takeaways

* Arizona tops the list of states with the worst road rage, while Delaware is home to the most polite drivers in the nation.
* Five of the top 10 states with the most confrontational drivers are in the South, including West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas.
* Four of the top 10 states with the most polite drivers are in the Pacific and West, including Idaho, Wyoming, Washington and New Mexico.
1. Arizona
2. Rhode Island (how's that for a shift)
6. Alabama
8. Illinois
11. Montana :problem:
13. California
17. Florida
19. Maryland :|
27. New Jersey
30. South Carolina
33. North Carolina (tie) :thumbup: (the better Carolina :P )
35. Tennessee (neoplacebo wins)
44. Washington (O Really is win-adjacent)
50. Delaware
Can't believe Florida is not top 10.

FWIW, this is probably misleading.
Illinois drivers also tied with drivers from Alabama and Rhode Island for being most likely to report that another driver has tried to block their car from changing lanes (63.5%).
I've done it. There's enough assholes that cruise up the shoulder and try to merge, drive up a through lane to cut into a turn lane etc. to save 30 seconds.

Fuck em.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:36 am
... FWIW, this is probably misleading.
Illinois drivers also tied with drivers from Alabama and Rhode Island for being most likely to report that another driver has tried to block their car from changing lanes (63.5%).
I've done it. There's enough assholes that cruise up the shoulder and try to merge, drive up a through lane to cut into a turn lane etc. to save 30 seconds.

Fuck em.
:thumbup: It's still road rage when the bastards deserve it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Bou ... 0959.EJUG5

:thumbup:

A bumper sticker mocking Elon Musk is sparking a polarizing debate about what it means to drive a Tesla

There are several variations. I don't like the one featured in the article, "I bought this before we knew Elon was crazy." It should be, "Elon is crazy."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:33 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Bou ... 0959.EJUG5

:thumbup:

A bumper sticker mocking Elon Musk is sparking a polarizing debate about what it means to drive a Tesla

There are several variations. I don't like the one featured in the article, "I bought this before we knew Elon was crazy." It should be, "Elon is crazy."
I like it. Except for mine still being in great condition, I would still buy one - or maybe a Hyundai.

Whatever he doing now, you have to admit that he gave the electric car business a huge boost.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:46 am
I like it. Except for mine still being in great condition, I would still buy one - or maybe a Hyundai.

Whatever he doing now, you have to admit that he gave the electric car business a huge boost.
Still is, to the point of trouncing the competition. One major company has even gotten out of the EV business. The article does a good job of presenting the debate over whether to let politics guide one's purchasing choices.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:46 am

Still is, to the point of trouncing the competition. One major company has even gotten out of the EV business. The article does a good job of presenting the debate over whether to let politics guide one's purchasing choices.
I like a politics in the marketplace. The trouble lies in what kind of politics.
Carter made a political statement when he added solar at the WH.
Reagan also made a political statement when he tore down the solar panels at the WH.

But I do approve of government recognizing future economic or environmental dangers in the present and using legislation and taxes to minimize impact.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 pm
I like a politics in the marketplace. The trouble lies in what kind of politics.
Reagan also made a political statement when he tore down the solar panels at the WH.

But I do approve of government recognizing future economic or environmental dangers in the present and using legislation and taxes to minimize impact.
Politics in the marketplace shapes a lot of my choices, but I'm more political than most. I can see how someone might buy a Tesla even today. If it's the best it's the best, and it's not like Crazy Elon is making all of the money off of it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've never bought or not bought a car based on political views. I know some cars I have had do have certain stereotypes attached to them, including my current Jeep. I suppose the stereotypes could be extrapolated to a political view in some cases (Prius owners are lefties; pickup drivers are - or want to play like - rednecks, etc.), but even those are not pervasive enough to keep me from buying the car I needed/wanted.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:40 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 pm

Politics in the marketplace shapes a lot of my choices, but I'm more political than most. I can see how someone might buy a Tesla even today. If it's the best it's the best, and it's not like Crazy Elon is making all of the money off of it.
I'm still seeing a Tesla purchase as supporting alternative energy, not Elon. More power to him for what he's doing with cars, I'll cancel Twitter where he is an asshole.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:44 pm
I've never bought or not bought a car based on political views. I know some cars I have had do have certain stereotypes attached to them, including my current Jeep. I suppose the stereotypes could be extrapolated to a political view in some cases (Prius owners are lefties; pickup drivers are - or want to play like - rednecks, etc.), but even those are not pervasive enough to keep me from buying the car I needed/wanted.
I bought only foreign cars during and after the opec embargo because the American car industry refused to go fuel efficient because "Americans want big heavy safe cars."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I bought a "hybrid lite" Saturn over a decade ago, but that was the only time that I've applied external values to a vehicle purchase.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:45 pm
I'm still seeing a Tesla purchase as supporting alternative energy, not Elon. More power to him for what he's doing with cars, I'll cancel Twitter where he is an asshole.
Pedantry, I know, but ftr EVs are not "alternative energy" unless powered by solar and wind. Rather, they reduce greenhouse gas and other emissions.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:55 pm
I bought a "hybrid lite" Saturn over a decade ago, but that was the only time that I've applied external values to a vehicle purchase.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:45 pm
Pedantry, I know, but ftr EVs are not "alternative energy" unless powered by solar and wind. Rather, they reduce greenhouse gas and other emissions.
Technically true, but they are part of the solution. As you said they can work with solar and wind, IC can't.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The car thread ...hang on

62 mph in 40 feet

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-world-s- ... 1850829027

"All this means that the car accelerates fast. Really fast. In its record-breaking run, Mayhem accelerated from zero to 62 mph in just 0.956 seconds. With driver Kate Maggetti at the wheel, the car managed this feat over a distance of just 12.3 meters, which is about 40 feet."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...hang on

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:04 pm
62 mph in 40 feet

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-world-s- ... 1850829027

"All this means that the car accelerates fast. Really fast. In its record-breaking run, Mayhem accelerated from zero to 62 mph in just 0.956 seconds. With driver Kate Maggetti at the wheel, the car managed this feat over a distance of just 12.3 meters, which is about 40 feet."
Instead of an "automatic rabbit" they use a bust of Michael B. Jordan. :wave:

Both were being driven:

No injuries. :o
... Police are still dumbfounded as to how the collision occurred, they told 9 News.
-0-?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Safety has come a long way since the early 60s. No more metal dashboards with lobotomizing protruding toggle switches and solid steering columns.

https://youtu.be/7JawdbAL7lg?si=PbTRZsc5EmRzE2Uj

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:01 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
... I've been coal rolled several times. Heavy, heavy smoke for 10 seconds or more.

https://youtu.be/3nxgz6rOI_c
https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/c ... _vape_pen/

Opps, there's a solid white line for a reason. :violin:
Dashboard camera catches disturbing video of tailgating truck moments before crashing into median: ‘Those things should be illegal’

... It is often observed among truck drivers who are either looking to showboat on the road or simply inconvenience other drivers. Rolling coal can also be an attempt to counter sustainable practices and demean those who partake in them, with electric vehicle drivers a frequent target.

In order to roll coal, drivers illegally alter their trucks to produce diesel fumes 40 to 100 times more potent than what is legally acceptable for standard vehicles, according to the Sierra Club.
Sucks to suck, coal roller
As soon as I saw him rolling coal I was like "Fucking hope he smashed the shit out of that truck". I was not disappointed. Those things should be illegal.
When a lifted diesel pickup slows suddenly, it's usually a sign that they're setting up to 'roll coal' on the traffic behind them.

The sedan that changed lanes in front of them after they slowed interfered with their plan to rocket out of there leaving a smoke choking cloud behind so the cloud wasn't as big as it would have been and the truck driver got a little flustered between avoiding the car and also watching the effect in their rear-view mirror and ended up drifting into the barrier.
Good explanation.
Another pavement princess pickup truck dumb fuck
Everyone liked that.
You know he is thinking, "That silver car did this to me."
I'M GLAD HE FUCKED UP HIS DOUCHE CANOE.
Another coal rolling POS gets his dues.
I hope the person processing his insurance claim comes across this video and his claim is denied for gross negligence.
In the last 30 seconds these idiots are sticking their faces up against the exhaust.

https://youtu.be/kxuDoJEPp1o?si=cZYo1jEeYXpixI1j