Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Supreme Court Leaves the Clean Water Act Intact
Victory: Court decision leaves in place vital protections for the nation’s oceans, rivers, lakes

Today the Supreme Court issued its opinion in County of Maui v. Hawaiʻi Wildlife Fund siding with clean water advocates that point source discharges to navigable waters through groundwater are regulated under the Clean Water Act....

The opinion was written by Justice Breyer with a vote of 6-3; with Chief Justice Roberts joining the opinion, along with Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, and Kavanaugh.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump dismantles environmental protections under cover of coronavirus
Administration is weakening protections ahead of the election, making changes that could take years for a Democratic president to undo

The Trump administration is diligently weakening US environment protections even amid a global pandemic, continuing its rollback as the November election approaches.

During the Covid-19 lockdown, US federal agencies have eased fuel-efficiency standards for new cars; frozen rules for soot air pollution; proposed to drop review requirements for liquefied natural gas terminals; continued to lease public property to oil and gas companies; sought to speed up permitting for offshore fish farms; and advanced a proposal on mercury pollution from power plants that could make it easier for the government to conclude regulations are too costly to justify their benefits.

The government has also relaxed reporting rules for polluters during the pandemic....
:obscene-birdiered:
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Damn, I knew it was bad but not that bad. Thankfully, looks a lot of his shit is going to be overturned in court an a lot more will be undone by President Biden. My guess is his changing the cafe standards have little to no effect. Car companies know the next president can reenact them and Americans really do want better mileage.

Alaska looks pretty screwed.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:18 am
Damn, I knew it was bad but not that bad. Thankfully, looks a lot of his shit is going to be overturned in court an a lot more will be undone by President Biden. My guess is his changing the cafe standards have little to no effect. Car companies know the next president can reenact them and Americans really do want better mileage.

I share your hopes. I wonder how much time Biden will have to spend undoing PINO before he can make the real eco progress we also desperately need.
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:18 am

I share your hopes. I wonder how much time Biden will have to spend undoing PINO before he can make the real eco progress we also desperately need.
Bet there will be a stack of executive orders he signs before he leaves the Capitol on inauguration day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Bet there will be a stack of executive orders he signs before he leaves the Capitol on inauguration day.
Could be, but there's some law that makes it easier to undo EO's within 6 months or a year of their signing. PINO took advantage of it to cancel many actions that Obama waited too long to sign.
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Aside: Writing President Biden and inauguration day gave me some warm fuzzies. 🐥🐇🐧🕊🐶🐮🐈🐰

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:37 am
Aside: Writing President Biden and inauguration day gave me some warm fuzzies. 🐥🐇🐧🕊🐶🐮🐈🐰
:thumbup:

Don't Let Scientists Be Silenced—Tell the EPA to Listen to Air Pollution Experts
-- Voltaire

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

Limier than most wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm

.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

I used to chug past the Dick Monty every morning on the way to work...
Not a good idea to be chugging that Lewisite or mustard gas, either...
Buh-Bye, President Plump...

O Really
Vice admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am
Could be, but there's some law that makes it easier to undo EO's within 6 months or a year of their signing. PINO took advantage of it to cancel many actions that Obama waited too long to sign.
Not quite. Executive Orders can be revoked or modified at any time by any President or, unfortunately, President*. You may be thinking about regulations, that do have a review period and, after implementation, must go through another review period to be changed. But another thing Trump has done that can be fairly quickly undone is in how the agency administrators and Secretaries interpret and enforce existing regs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 pm
Not quite. Executive Orders can be revoked or modified at any time by any President or, unfortunately, President*. You may be thinking about regulations, that do have a review period and, after implementation, must go through another review period to be changed.
:doh: It is indeed regs. Thanks.
But another thing Trump has done that can be fairly quickly undone is in how the agency administrators and Secretaries interpret and enforce existing regs.
:thumbup:
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

:clap: :clap: :clap: