Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Ulysses »

Meanwhile, sadly, Trump's poll figures are at their historic highs. Go figure. The man who stupidly de-funded out pandemic response team two years ago, who has consistently been wrong about the corona virus, and given bad medical advice, should be universally reviled.

But as pointed out in one analysis I read, Americans tend to rally around our putative leaders when the nation is felt to be under siege. We will see, however, once more and more die and the economy craters.

Lots of finger pointing going on, too. The one thing that Trump excels at.
LTBA: Let's Take Back America

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 pm
Meanwhile, sadly, Trump's poll figures are at their historic highs. Go figure. The man who stupidly de-funded out pandemic response team two years ago, who has consistently been wrong about the corona virus, and given bad medical advice, should be universally reviled.

About that...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-t ... 02475.html

Ulysses
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:08 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 pm

About that...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-t ... 02475.html
Great reference, thanks.

BTW, I used to get pilloried over on the old LNF by Bert for daring to link to articles I found on Yahoo. I'm slowly recovering from that internet bullying. LOL.

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really »

Yahoo does have a lot of junk, but they also have some good writers too. Also, much of what's there is simply transmitted from somewhere else, same as Google news, Associated Press, or Reuters. I never had the urge to visit the LNF. If I want heartburn I'll just add more cayenne to the chili.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

The 45SHOLE effect on the economy will get spun by both sides, and people will cut him some pandemic slack. Otoh, you can't put as much spin to the sick and dead numbers. If people feel that he downplayed that and/or made them worse, it'll be harder to hide from.

I think Yahoo! posts as good an assortment of mainstream news sources as anyone I've found, including right-wing WSJ, Faux Noise and NationalReview, along with militarist National Interest, and that their own writers are as competent as most outlets. Cons do love to screech about it, though.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Ulysses
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm
Yahoo does have a lot of junk, but they also have some good writers too. Also, much of what's there is simply transmitted from somewhere else, same as Google news, Associated Press, or Reuters. I never had the urge to visit the LNF. If I want heartburn I'll just add more cayenne to the chili.
Yes, but as I recall I had to go through a lot of bother to chase down the original articles - often with titles not quite as interesting as what Yahoo slapped on them - to appease the Bertists.

And it's easy enough to winnow out the infotainment Yahoo articles from the real deals.

As for LNF... I was lured over there by .Ooomba. a few years ago. LOL. Not complaining, but I liked the old Democracy Forums better. Better moderation and lots of fun debates. But the death of a key Mod (Lily) and the loss the DF website (I think) led to it being shunted over to Tapatalk where it's never been, IMHO, quite the same.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm
The ads on the weak and slow IMPOSPOTUS/DeSantis response, alongside FL morbidity and mortality numbers, will write themselves.
:wave:

Trump Campaign Wants Coronavirus Ad Taken Down: Campaign Update

Whatever happens with this one ad and the objection to it, we all know that IMPOSPOTUS has downplayed the seriousness of CV-19, and continues to overly optimistic about its likely course. He will pay for it in Nov, death tallies don't lie.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm
The ads on the weak and slow IMPOSPOTUS/DeSantis response, alongside FL morbidity and mortality numbers, will write themselves.

Trump Campaign Wants Coronavirus Ad Taken Down: Campaign Update

Whatever happens with this one ad and the objection to it, we all know that IMPOSPOTUS has downplayed the seriousness of CV-19, and continues to overly optimistic about its likely course. He will pay for it in Nov, death tallies don't lie.
Adding fuel to the effed up fire, handling it perfectly, a ten!

This is potentially very scary. How totally unprepared we may be and our inability to manufacture much needed supplies on any sort of timely basis.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

Ulysses
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Ulysses »

Another Trumpuppet in denial?

In any case, he's in jail now...

Ulysses
Sub-Lieutenant

Some Blood Types May Be Slightly More Susceptible to COVID-19, Paper Suggests

Unread post by Ulysses »

Some Blood Types May Be Slightly More Susceptible to COVID-19, Paper Suggests

Initially I thought, "Cool, cause I'm type O"... but I decided to check and came up with articles like that caution against irrational exuberance...
First thing's first: the information does come from a study, but one that has not yet been peer-reviewed, and is currently available on the pre-print server medRxiv. In fast-evolving situations such as this pandemic, accessing research ahead of peer-review is not necessarily a bad thing, but we do need to keep this in mind.

The study was undertaken by Chinese researchers and focused on 2,173 patients with COVID-19 from three hospitals in Wuhan and Shenzhen.

The team looked at the distribution of blood types in the normal population in each area, and then compared it to their sample of patients with the virus, again in each area.

"Meta-analyses on the pooled data showed that blood group A had a significantly higher risk for COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups," the researchers write in their paper.

"Whereas blood group O had a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease compared with non-O blood groups."

But the paper also clearly states that although the results were significant, it's not an all-or-nothing result.

As per the study, the normal population in Wuhan has a blood type distribution of 31 percent type A, 24 percent type B, 9 percent type AB, and 34 percent type O.

Those with the virus, by comparison, were distributed as follows: 38 percent type A, 26 percent type B, 10 percent type AB, and 25 percent type O. Similar differences were observed in Shenzhen.

As you can see, the percentages between the normal population and those with the virus have some differences - but it doesn't mean that people with type O blood type are immune; and not everyone who gets the virus is going to be type A. Far from it.

Whack9
Midshipman

Unread post by Whack9 »

Just took a look at plane tickets out to San Jose for shits n' giggles. Round trip is down to 200 bucks. Damn.

I'm gonna wait closer to the date to cancel mine. Right now the airline is offering 100% credit so you can rebook at a later date, which I am cool with. Hoping they change it up and offer a refund (doubtful).
Fuck 2019 2020

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am
Just took a look at plane tickets out to San Jose for shits n' giggles. Round trip is down to 200 bucks. Damn.

I'm gonna wait closer to the date to cancel mine. Right now the airline is offering 100% credit so you can rebook at a later date, which I am cool with. Hoping they change it up and offer a refund (doubtful).
Anyone else anticipating a flight sometime should purchase a no or low 'penalty for changes' ticket now.
-- Voltaire

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47 pm
I would typically be very cautiously hopeful for the 2 drug cocktail. However, based on nothing medical and just on 45SHOLE's track record I would bet good money on it being a failure vs CV-19.
Trump probably also believes in the tooth fairy.

Covid Report: A Trump-Touted Malaria Drug Flops In Coronavirus Treatment
Pence again touts chloroquine as coronavirus treatment after it's linked to deaths

... Pence's chloroquine confidence comes after President Trump repeatedly touted the drug's potential in a Monday night press conference. After that, Nigeria reported two fatal overdoses of chloroquine and implored its citizens not to use the drug, which "will cause harm and can lead to death." A man in Arizona died and his wife was hospitalized after ingesting a form of chloroquine that's used to clean fish tanks. The woman said she got the idea from Trump.
I would not look to these clowns for advice on government or business, let alone medicine and science.
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

... Pence's chloroquine confidence comes after President Trump repeatedly touted the drug's potential in a Monday night press conference. After that, Nigeria reported two fatal overdoses of chloroquine and implored its citizens not to use the drug, which "will cause harm and can lead to death." A man in Arizona died and his wife was hospitalized after ingesting a form of chloroquine that's used to clean fish tanks. The woman said she got the idea from Trump.
I would not look to these clowns for advice on government or business, let alone medicine and science.
Wow, what a shocking development. Virus "cures" are far and few between (if at all). This is not a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics and such. Someone needs to beat this into the head of Cheetohead. They probably already have but he's incapable of getting it.

On the upside, there's a lot of fish breathing a sigh of relief.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not a problem, just fixing the formatting/attribution in case this tangent continues:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Wow, what a shocking development. Virus "cures" are far and few between (if at all). This is not a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics and such. Someone needs to beat this into the head of Cheetohead. They probably already have but he's incapable of getting it.

-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Adding fuel to the effed up fire, handling it perfectly, a ten!

This is potentially very scary. How totally unprepared we may be and our inability to manufacture much needed supplies on any sort of timely basis.

Am I the only one who thinks this is alarming?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am

Any trial of a drug that selectively kills Trumpettes is a success in my book :twisted: .
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
... This is potentially very scary. How totally unprepared we may be and our inability to manufacture much needed supplies on any sort of timely basis.

It's a cost-benefit gamble. Having been involved with disaster response for years I have seen a ton of non-infinitely durable goods go to waste. Maybe there should be better planning for getting industry to switch over production more rapidly, but perfect stockpiling is very expensive.
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am

Any trial of a drug that selectively kills Trumpettes is a success in my book :twisted: .
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
... This is potentially very scary. How totally unprepared we may be and our inability to manufacture much needed supplies on any sort of timely basis.

It's a cost-benefit gamble. Having been involved with disaster response for years I have seen a ton of non-infinitely durable goods go to waste. Maybe there should be better planning for getting industry to switch over production more rapidly, but perfect stockpiling is very expensive.
Cost benefit? I read it as "we're going to run out of life saving stuff and we can't make life saving stuff fast enough".

The international equivalent of hey man, can you spare a square?

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm
Democrats vote against helping the American worker.
Social distancing themselves from their voters.
Ted Cruz - "What the hell do windmills, emissions, and Post Office debt have to do with this crisis?"

After haggling for days over the final details, Senate Democrats and the White House agreed Wednesday to a nearly $2-trillion stimulus package to combat the economic fallout of the coronavirus outbreak, including direct payments to most Americans and a half-trillion-dollar fund to shore up struggling companies.

“At last we have a deal,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said shortly after 1 a.m. in Washington. “It will rush new resources onto the front lines of our nation’s healthcare fight. And it will inject trillions of dollars in cash into the economy as fast as possible to help American workers, families, small businesses and industries.”
Democrats attempted to overthrow the Presidency for an alleged quid pro quo of a foreign country. Then Democrats withhold aid to Americans during a National economic and health crisis.
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:17 pm
Cost benefit? I read it as "we're going to run out of life saving stuff and we can't make life saving stuff fast enough".

The international equivalent of hey man, can you spare a square?
It depends on the alternatives chosen. In an ideal world our disaster readiness would be perfect and the military and prison industrial complexes would be holding bake sales. Irl the money would often come from immediate, non-disaster human or environmental needs.
-- Voltaire