Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Commander

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:48 pm
Trump was asked what he wants people to do who just lost their jobs due to the coronavirus. He told them to keep getting their paychecks.

Here was the exchange:

Reporter: For those people who have lost their jobs already, or they’re worried about to lose it tomorrow, what do you want them to do now?

Trump: What they do right now is keep receiving their paychecks. Hopefully, their companies will been in a strong position. We want to keep everything together. We think we’ll have a tremendous bounce back. Some people agree with that strongly, some of our top economists say once we solve the problem, we’re working on the medical problem. So we want them to keep their jobs, stay where you are, and we’ll see what happens. If they don’t, we unemployment, checks, a lot of very positive things.”
What a load of psychobabble. The man is fucking crazy stupid.
Drumpf seems to be getting more incoherent every day.

Amazing.

If he's not voted out of office in November, there is something seriously amiss.
Buh-Bye, President Plump...

O Really
Vice admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:55 pm
I would avoid all crowds, but I would be sorely tempted to drive and drive just to experience those SoCal highways without traffic. Maybe next week I'll drive I-26 into Asheville at 7:30 am for the heck of it.
Look on your map around San Diego. You'll see the 5 and 15 going south, the 8 east/west and the 805 branching off. Look in particular at the intersections where the 15 or 805 intersects with the 8. Total spaghetti junction. We were through that way last Thursday and it was just cruising. Roads weren't empty by any means, but well spaced out, no slow-downs or issues. Usually TV news has evening video of traffic - red and white streaks mostly, frequently stopped. The past week they hardly bother to report it.

O Really
Vice admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Trump was asked what he wants people to do who just lost their jobs due to the coronavirus. He told them to keep getting their paychecks.

Here was the exchange:

Reporter: For those people who have lost their jobs already, or they’re worried about to lose it tomorrow, what do you want them to do now?

Trump: What they do right now is keep receiving their paychecks. Hopefully, their companies will been in a strong position. We want to keep everything together. We think we’ll have a tremendous bounce back. Some people agree with that strongly, some of our top economists say once we solve the problem, we’re working on the medical problem. So we want them to keep their jobs, stay where you are, and we’ll see what happens. If they don’t, we unemployment, checks, a lot of very positive things.”
Transcript of Trudeau's speech here...
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/tru ... ranscript/

Bit of a difference.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:40 pm
Drumpf seems to be getting more incoherent every day.

Amazing.

If he's not voted out of office in November, there is something seriously amiss.

There's no sugarcoating this: the Trump administration's response to COVID-19 threatens to become an unmitigated disaster.

Millions of people will get sick—many will die—because of this administration's lack of preparedness and sluggish response both of which were predicated by a callous disdain for science and expertise.

They should have tested people sooner, on a massive scale.
They chose not to.

They should have allowed public health experts to speak freely.
They chose not to.

They should have kept all relevant outbreak data on the CDC's website.
They chose not to.

They should have let epidemiologists in the room during strategy meetings. They chose not to.

The point is, this administration's hostility towards science, expertise, transparency, and facts that don’t fit their pre-determined narrative have threatened and will continue to endanger lives if we don't force them to act in accordance with what doctors and epidemiologists—the real experts—have been telling them for months....

Nearly 1,800 scientists and health professionals have signed on to our letter to Vice President Pence, pointing out the many flaws in the government's approach to science in controlling the virus. More than 18,425 UCS members have also petitioned the vice president—the person officially overseeing the government's efforts—calling for the administration to halt attempts to suppress critical scientific information related to the virus and create a plan resourcing and supporting federal scientists' ability to address this public health crisis.

... we’ll continue to do the work you’ve helped support in the past. We simply can't let respect for science be a choice controlled by politicians. Whether it's work on climate change, building an energy infrastructure that relies on clean energy, growing access to healthy food for all our communities, we need to respect and pay attention to what science and scientists are telling us. We need them for responsible policy making and, especially now, advice on how to prepare and confront disaster....

Sincerely,
John Mace
Membership Director
Union of Concerned Scientists
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Here was the exchange:

Transcript of Trudeau's speech here...
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/tru ... ranscript/

Bit of a difference.
Yes, the difference between a brain damaged failed dictator and a bright honest man who truly cares for his nation and its people.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:56 pm
Yes, the difference between a brain damaged failed dictator and a bright honest man who truly cares for his nation and its people.
I would typically be very cautiously hopeful for the 2 drug cocktail. However, based on nothing medical and just on 45SHOLE's track record I would bet good money on it being a failure vs CV-19.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:56 pm
I would typically be very cautiously hopeful for the 2 drug cocktail. However, based on nothing medical and just on 45SHOLE's track record I would bet good money on it being a failure vs CV-19.
Trump probably also believes in the tooth fairy.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

O Really
Vice admiral

Oakland -

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm
Oakland -

That's a real nice movie theater. Looking forward to its reopening.

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

The local parks here have made it clear they are not closing, but that facilities will be closed during the quarantine period. Rules on social distancing still apply. Some on Facebook have expressed concerns about people taking advantage of the free parking/entry and will flood the parks. I dunno, I just don't anticipate that happening. We'll see.

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

O Really
Vice admiral

No parks or beaches closed here, either, but the only place that's a little crowded is the Carlsbad seawall walk. People are generally keeping a distance. We're usually the ones who move out of the way - just to look out for ourselves. But it's gratifying when somebody else goes a little out of their way to keep the distance. Tourists are mostly gone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Awww, that's just tragic :crybaby: . Will he have a duty to recuse himself from hotel/resort bailout decision making? If so, will he honor that duty?
Spoiler:
Just kidding with the latter question, I crack myself up sometimes.
Other news, whether one thinks it's good or bad: Baby boom predicted for Dec - Jan or beyond.
-- Voltaire

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

I've been sticking to my home for the past few months for different reasons, so this shutdown doesn't impose any major changes. Although I am missing the various concerts I already have tickets for but have been cancelled. When the weather warms up it's probably going to be harder for many people to stay house bound, especially those in apartments. There are reports that the local freeways and bridges are refreshingly traffic-free, but for some reason I have no big hankering to cruise the roads like it's 1955 again. And, of course, the social interaction, mingling in crowds, etc. will be missed more and more as this goes on. Is there an end in sight? I hope so.

O Really
Vice admiral

Arizona must think they're Florida of the West...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuin ... 28d1d.html

Ulysses
Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:20 am

Yeah, I saw on the news tonight that the local beaches like Stinson were packed today, with cars lining the narrow two lane state highway through town. And residents of the small town had put up signs on their houses saying, "Go Home!".

It's starting to feel like the outside world is deteriorating into a 1950's Twilight Zone episode. Although I have to admit I always enjoyed the TZ.

Been watching the Fargo TV series. What a mess!

Whack9
Ensign

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 am
I've been sticking to my home for the past few months for different reasons, so this shutdown doesn't impose any major changes. Although I am missing the various concerts I already have tickets for but have been cancelled. When the weather warms up it's probably going to be harder for many people to stay house bound, especially those in apartments. There are reports that the local freeways and bridges are refreshingly traffic-free, but for some reason I have no big hankering to cruise the roads like it's 1955 again. And, of course, the social interaction, mingling in crowds, etc. will be missed more and more as this goes on. Is there an end in sight? I hope so.
I'm saving a ton of money not going out on the weekends.
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:48 am
O Really wrote:

Yeah, I saw on the news tonight that the local beaches like Stinson were packed today, with cars lining the narrow two lane state highway through town. And residents of the small town had put up signs on their houses saying, "Go Home!".

It's starting to feel like the outside world is deteriorating into a 1950's Twilight Zone episode. Although I have to admit I always enjoyed the TZ.

Maybe Florida is ahead of the game.

I still think that closing the beach before the hotels compounded the problem.

Whack9
Ensign

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:48 am
O Really wrote:

It's kind of surreal seeing signs on the interstate from DHEC stating "STAY AT HOME!"
Fuck 2019 2020

Ezekiel 23:20

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 am
It's kind of surreal seeing signs on the interstate from DHEC stating "STAY AT HOME!"
Usually, we just see those at the NC border facing into SC :P .
-- Voltaire