Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Vice admiral

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 pm
A 2 year old in my county tested positive but supposedly didn't do anything considered a risk.
You mean besides crawling around on the floor and putting anything and everything into his/her mouth?

I wonder how many viruses get tracked in by human shoes a well as cat and dog paws... perhaps something to be said for the practice of leaving one's shoes at the door. Except most pets don't take kindly to booties.

Yeah, I know, keep the cats indoors. Right. Still gotta walk the dogs.
We've always had a no shoes indoors practice. And when the dogs were still around, depending on where we walked them, we kept a small container of water and hand towel outside the door for rinsing their feet.

Ulysses
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
A 2 year old in my county tested positive but supposedly didn't do anything considered a risk.
You mean besides crawling around on the floor and putting anything and everything into his/her mouth?

I wonder how many viruses get tracked in by human shoes a well as cat and dog paws... perhaps something to be said for the practice of leaving one's shoes at the door. Except most pets don't take kindly to booties.

Bottom line - you can't do too much, but you will go crazy trying to do enough

Hard to imagine what's ahead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -location/

Grades states for compliance based on social media data.
Mostly shows the usual suspects.
Interesting link, thanks!
Now is the time for all honest Americans to unite and get rid of Trump.

Ulysses
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

We've always had a no shoes indoors practice. And when the dogs were still around, depending on where we walked them, we kept a small container of water and hand towel outside the door for rinsing their feet.
I worked in Japan for a couple of months and got sort of used to the shoe thing there. But normally I don't do it here, although I like to change into slippers at the end of the day.
Now is the time for all honest Americans to unite and get rid of Trump.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm
Democrats vote against helping the American worker.
Social distancing themselves from their voters.
Ted Cruz - "What the hell do windmills, emissions, and Post Office debt have to do with this crisis?"

After haggling for days over the final details, Senate Democrats and the White House agreed Wednesday to a nearly $2-trillion stimulus package to combat the economic fallout of the coronavirus outbreak, including direct payments to most Americans and a half-trillion-dollar fund to shore up struggling companies.

“At last we have a deal,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said shortly after 1 a.m. in Washington. “It will rush new resources onto the front lines of our nation’s healthcare fight. And it will inject trillions of dollars in cash into the economy as fast as possible to help American workers, families, small businesses and industries.”
"Only God can do this and I give him all the glory. I know where my strength comes from and I know it's simply by his grace that I've been able to walk this walk and walk this journey." - Dabo Swinney

billy.pilgrim
Commodore

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I worked in Japan for a couple of months and got sort of used to the shoe thing there. But normally I don't do it here, although I like to change into slippers at the end of the day.
We started leaving shoes outside about a week ago and
Washing the dogs feet a few days ago, but I don't wash the car tires.

I notice that wearing gloves makes me more aware of touching anything including my face.
I watched a lady stick her little finger under her mask to pick something out of her teeth.

There are so many holes in anything that you can do that in the end chance may be a best hope.

I read where some asshole taped himself licking deodorant sticks in a retail store and other kids having Coronavirus parties.

and I still think that my county and surrounding counties that closing beaches before closing hotels made things worse.

We have to be smarter than these all this and all that type answers.

Any ideas on packages? We have started putting them in the garage and plan on waiting a couple of weeks before opening them.

Cars? How soon before we see a video of someone spitting on cars at the grocery store?

And our fucking president is spreading misinformation.
"Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through."
Jonathan Swift

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am
... Any ideas on packages? We have started putting them in the garage and plan on waiting a couple of weeks before opening them....
I think a couple of days is probably sufficient. Having no cell walls, viruses are not very hardy outside of a host. Anything that you can put in the sun (UVs) without getting it stolen will be safer much quicker.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

O Really
Vice admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm sure there must be some fluke transmission, but it looks like the primary risk is direct contact with respiratory drops - getting coughed or sneezed on - followed by direct contact with a recent deposit, such as shaking hands with someone who has coughed. Picking it up from surfaces is possible, but less likely to result in transmission unless you use that germy hand to touch your mouth, nose, or eyes. In any transmission from a surface (door handle, grocery cart, package, etc.), you still have to have the face touch. Apparently the virus can't enter a body directly from the hands. So, bottom line - avoid people like the plague, wash your hands like Lady MacBeth, wipe surfaces and don't touch your face with an unwashed hand and all should be fine. I'm not a medical person and don't play one on TV, but I read a lot.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am
... wash your hands like Lady MacBeth ...
Pontius Pilate got a bum rap. He should be resurrected ( :wave: ) as a hero for modern times.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Commodore

Here's Cody

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/hea ... f3934.html

I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
"Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through."
Jonathan Swift

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm
... I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
That's a tough one. I saw a pic of a crowded NYC subway, but what are people without cars supposed to do?
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Commodore

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm
... I notice too that the same escambia county that closed all beaches to everyone is still running countywide bus service - including to Pensacola Beach.
That's a tough one. I saw a pic of a crowded NYC subway, but what are people without cars supposed to do?

Buses and subways could undo all other efforts.
Jonathan Swift

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
I suppose, I just don't know what the alternative is.
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Commodore

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:39 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm
I suppose, I just don't know what the alternative is.

Walk, stay home, drive, but subways and public buses should have been one of the first things shut down.

Or we could just do the easy ones and let it spread as some as suggesting.
Jonathan Swift

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm
Walk, stay home, drive, but subways and public buses should have been one of the first things shut down.

Or we could just do the easy ones and let it spread as some as suggesting.
Shutting them down might be worth it, but:

"Walk" - some distances are too far and some can't walk at all
"stay home" - not possible forever
"drive" - if one has a car

What do we say to these people?

Maybe, idk - Monitored, enforced, mandatory symptom checks, masks and hand sanitizer for all riders, hourly cleaning?
-- Voltaire

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Well, it would seem trump wants you to die. I've seen several sycophantic media nutjobs talking about how the economy is more important than getting sick (or dying). We've reached the bottom, folks. Long lines at gun stores, wingnut media talking about how older folks should sacrifice for the good of the country (economy). Mediocre at best effort to mobilize what federal power there is to deal with something like this. I think we're fucked. O Really is lucky as hell to have a mobile environment and generator. Salute. Went to the food store today and saw more than a few empty shelves....some things I were gonna buy were not there. Oh, lest I forget, Jerry Falwell Jr has decreed and prophesied that Liberty University will be open by god even if you die. Here's wishing Jerry god speed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm
Well, it would seem trump wants you to die. I've seen several sycophantic media nutjobs talking about how the economy is more important than getting sick (or dying). We've reached the bottom, folks. Long lines at gun stores, wingnut media talking about how older folks should sacrifice for the good of the country (economy). Mediocre at best effort to mobilize what federal power there is to deal with something like this. I think we're fucked. O Really is lucky as hell to have a mobile environment and generator. Salute. Went to the food store today and saw more than a few empty shelves....some things I were gonna buy were not there. Oh, lest I forget, Jerry Falwell Jr has decreed and prophesied that Liberty University will be open by god even if you die. Here's wishing Jerry god speed.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4020&p=114430#p114430

Not criticizing you, just FYI. Great minds . . .
-- Voltaire

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:thumbup: :wave: Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How we measure disasters in the South, y'all:
Coronavirus breaks the ‘Waffle House Index’

Southerners have long relied on the Waffle House Index to understand the severity of a natural disaster. But the coronavirus pandemic has broken the metric with the breakfast chain announcing the closure of a quarter of its restaurants on Wednesday.

The crisis has interrupted Richard Bennett’s daily ritual that includes stopping off at the Waffle House on U.S. 98 in Daphne to order breakfast, socialize with four-to-five other regulars and “get brought down to Earth” by the waitresses.
-- Voltaire

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:10 pm
You're giving DeSantis too much credit.
https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... us-1268818
Biden blindsides Trump’s Florida ally
The former veep singled out Gov. Ron DeSantis for harsh criticism over his coronavirus response.

... Florida, which has the highest percentage of 65 and older population in the nation, has been slow to test for coronavirus. But as testing has ramped up, so have reported caseloads, which surged 35 percent in a day’s time to 1,977....
The ads on the weak and slow IMPOSPOTUS/DeSantis response, alongside FL morbidity and mortality numbers, will write themselves.
-- Voltaire

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm
I agree with your assessment. "We're fucked". This two weeks of isolation has been a joke, in that most people aren't following it, and some states aren't even doing it. It hasn't reset the clock, it hasn't shown any sign of slowing the virus spread down. Our testing is still no where close to what's needed. Our leadership is more concerned about bailing out corporations than helping people.

Pisses me off that humans are so selfish.