President* Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Commander

Re: President* Trump

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:13 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Though I do have to say, any time he's on the golf course he's not bloviating and encouraging Americans to poison themselves.

That's a small win for the nation.
I think the intentional subtext is: 'Don't worry, return to your normal lives.'
Might be more dangerous than encouraging poison.
Well that's a Debbie Downer.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/oxford- ... cELYxJHQGQ
A professor at the University of Oxford spoke out this week to say that coronavirus lockdowns might have been a bad idea, and that the world may have been better off not doing anything about COVID-19.

Sunetra Gupta, a professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford, told UnHerd that the virus is already on its way out of the United Kingdom, adding that the real infection rate is likely really low.

“I think the epidemic has largely come and is on its way out in this country so I think it would definitely be less than 1 in 1,000 (0.1%) and probably closer to 1 in 10,000 (0.01%),” Gupta said.

She went on to say that she is against lockdowns, pointing out that the COVID-19 outbreak has been pretty much the same in every country, even though they all have different lockdown restrictions. “In almost every context we’ve seen the epidemic grow, turn around and die away — almost like clockwork,” Gupta explained. “Different countries have had different lockdown policies, and yet what we’ve observed is almost a uniform pattern of behavior which is highly consistent with the SIR model. To me that suggests that much of the driving force here was due to the build-up of immunity. I think that’s a more parsimonious explanation than one which requires in every country for lockdown (or various degrees of lockdown, including no lockdown) to have had the same effect.”

The professor then blamed governments for overreacting to the Imperial model, which had projected 500,000 coronavirus deaths in the U.K. and more than 2 million in the United States. “I think there’s a chance we might have done better by doing nothing at all,” Gupta said. “Or at least by doing something different, which would have been to pay attention to protecting the vulnerable, to have thought about protecting the vulnerable 30 or 40 years ago when we started cutting hospital beds. The roots of this go a long, long way back.”
There you go. Lockdowns did nothing. Nothing any country did changed how the virus progressed. Let it go. Live your life.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

There you go; a nice theory from a professor of Theoretical Epidemiology. :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 am
https://thepoliticalinsider.com/oxford- ... cELYxJHQGQ
A professor at the University of Oxford spoke out this week to say that coronavirus lockdowns might have been a bad idea, and that the world may have been better off not doing anything about COVID-19.

Sunetra Gupta, a professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford, told UnHerd that the virus is already on its way out of the United Kingdom, adding that the real infection rate is likely really low.

“I think the epidemic has largely come and is on its way out in this country so I think it would definitely be less than 1 in 1,000 (0.1%) and probably closer to 1 in 10,000 (0.01%),” Gupta said.

She went on to say that she is against lockdowns, pointing out that the COVID-19 outbreak has been pretty much the same in every country, even though they all have different lockdown restrictions. “In almost every context we’ve seen the epidemic grow, turn around and die away — almost like clockwork,” Gupta explained. “Different countries have had different lockdown policies, and yet what we’ve observed is almost a uniform pattern of behavior which is highly consistent with the SIR model. To me that suggests that much of the driving force here was due to the build-up of immunity. I think that’s a more parsimonious explanation than one which requires in every country for lockdown (or various degrees of lockdown, including no lockdown) to have had the same effect.”

The professor then blamed governments for overreacting to the Imperial model, which had projected 500,000 coronavirus deaths in the U.K. and more than 2 million in the United States. “I think there’s a chance we might have done better by doing nothing at all,” Gupta said. “Or at least by doing something different, which would have been to pay attention to protecting the vulnerable, to have thought about protecting the vulnerable 30 or 40 years ago when we started cutting hospital beds. The roots of this go a long, long way back.”
There you go. Lockdowns did nothing. Nothing any country did changed how the virus progressed. Let it go. Live your life.

Really? That's not what she said and you might want to take a look at Norway (I believe is the one that didn't lock down) compared to its neighbors. Good lockdown results in the countries that looked down.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 am
Really? That's not what she said and you might want to take a look at Norway (I believe is the one that didn't lock down) compared to its neighbors. Good lockdown results in the countries that looked down.
It was Sweden, and its death rate is 6th or 8th highest in the world, worse than Holland, Germany, the US and all of Scandinavia so far.

Sunetra Gupta certainly has the credentials, but PP is so desperate to defend her/his idol PINO that s/he is cherry picking just one contrarian expert. Other epidemiologists will look at her work and that of others, weigh the evidence and draw the best conclusions that they can.
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 am
It was Sweden, and its death rate is 6th or 8th highest in the world, worse than Holland, Germany, the US and all of Scandinavia so far.

Sunetra Gupta certainly has the credentials, but PP is so desperate to defend her/his idol PINO that s/he is cherry picking just one contrarian expert. Other epidemiologists will look at her work and that of others, weigh the evidence and draw the best conclusions that they can.

It would be hard to find a better example than these 4 countries. All are similar in lifestyle, population, and location, but Sweden didn't lock down.

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

Will pp provide an alternative explanation?

O Really
Vice admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm not a theoretical epidemiologist, or even theoretically an epidemiologist, but what the baseline issue is with the pandemic isn't so much virus behaviour but human behaviour. With a virus in the midst, people have to change from their "normal" behaviour to avoid getting/spreading it. And it's not easy nor fast to made wide-sweeping changes in the behaviour of an entire population without some drastic event. So when the virus was largely contained to China, America could have said, "hmmm, that virus is likely to arrive here, but if we all start keeping our distance from each other, avoiding touching common surfaces and washing our hands frequently, we can probably avoid a wide-spread infection." So businesses could have started putting in measures to keep people from being close - spreading tables at restaurants, installing plexiglass screens at check-outs and having people space 6 feet while in the lineup. And people, understanding that the virus could indeed wreak havoc with American health and economy, would have joined right in. They'd have made individual efforts to keep their distance, not piled on each other at beaches and backyard barbeques, kept themselves and their kids slathered in sanitizer, and cancelled their trip to Coachella. Just being aware that the virus would not be contained to China and that Americans could mostly stave it off here by changing their behaviour would bring everyone together in a unified effort and most everything could have stayed open, the economy would be less affected, way fewer people would contract the disease and way fewer would have died. Yep. That's what would have happened. And they would have all lived happily ever after. G'night, kiddies.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am
It would be hard to find a better example than these 4 countries. All are similar in lifestyle, population, and location, but Sweden didn't lock down.

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

Sweden - 396 (8th worst in the world)
Denmark - 97 (26th worst in the world)
Finland - 55 (35th worst in the world)
Norway - 43 (42nd worst in the world)
US - 299 (12th worst in the world)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

PP?
"When you can make people believe absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:32 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?
I expect pp to be along real soon to admit his mistake.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ann Coulter Turns on ‘Disloyal Actual Retard’ Trump in Twitter Rant

Epic diatribe, definitely worth skimming the tweets.
-- Voltaire

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?
That's what happens when you have socialized medicine. What did you expect?

Also, that is what she said. She said the spread is the same in each country, not the infection mortality rate.

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?

Also, that is what she said. She said the spread is the same in each country, not the infection mortality rate.
What does socialized medicine have to do with social distancing?

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:32 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500
Nothing. It has to do with the deaths per million. Haven't you noticed that all of the western countries that have socialized medicine also have a greater rate of death? OH, and they are buying ventilators from us because they can't make them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 4,000 deaths
Denmark has 561
Finland has 307
Norway has 235

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?
S/he is the perfect Trumpette - ignore the evidence, lie, deflect, spout nonsense and cower from her/his proven screwup.
-- Voltaire

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

The deaths per 1M are:

PP?

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500
Nothing. It has to do with the deaths per million. Haven't you noticed that all of the western countries that have socialized medicine also have a greater rate of death? OH, and they are buying ventilators from us because they can't make them.
I get it, you lost your original point, so you change it.

Or are you saying that Norway, with 235 deaths, its social distancing and economic slowdown, made a bad decision to take precautions

based on the fact that wide open Falkland Islands don't have any cases?

PeacefulPartier
Red Shirt

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500

Or are you saying that Norway, with 235 deaths, its social distancing and economic slowdown, made a bad decision to take precautions

Didn't lose anything. I correlated related issues. Maybe you lost since you can't defend your precious social medicine.

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500

Didn't lose anything. I correlated related issues. Maybe you lost since you can't defend your precious social medicine.
Like they have in Norway?

What related issues did you "correlate"?

How could all of the western countries that have socialized medicine also have a greater rate of death, when we are the only western country without socialized medicine and, save a few ties, we have the greatest death rate?

GoCubsGo
Commander

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Jeezus....

How long until Steve Hilton is in the cabinet?

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

billy.pilgrim
Rear admiral

PeacefulPartier wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
PeacefulPartier wrote:

Sweden has 33,000 cases
Denmark has 11,000
Finland has 8,000
Norway has 6,500

Maybe if I ask again

Like they have in Norway?

What related issues did you "correlate"?

How could all of the western countries that have socialized medicine also have a greater rate of death, when we are the only western country without socialized medicine and, save a few ties, WE HAVE the GREATEST DEATH rate?

I'm sure that pp will become a great advocate of medicine for all, now that he has the facts

Whack9
Ensign

Unread post by Whack9 »

Saw this joke on Reddit:

How to you give trump a small business?

Hand him a large successful business and let him take it from there.
Fuck 2019 2020