2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

No doubt Republicans will try their best to use all the dirty tricks in their arsenal, and no doubt Trump is, in places, a formidable and likely unstoppable candidate. But unless they change the electoral college system, it still comes down to some pretty simple math. Trump's core is still sticking with him, but he hasn't gained any additional followers in the past three years, and has lost some that held their nose and voted for him last time. Washington, and California, for example, aren't going to vote for Trump if the Dems ran a three-legged chipmunk, and Alabama and West Virginia, for example, will vote Trump no matter who the Dem nominee is. So if Trump wins everything he won in 2016, and the Dems win everything they won except turning say, Wisconsin and Florida, then Trump goes away, more or less. At least is booted from power. Everybody - news media, political analysts, party yammerers, all keep acting like it's a national vote. It's not. And that's how Trump won last time out in part out of Hillary neglect of the midwest, and by turning states (barely, by a few thousand votes) that normally vote blue. Don't make the same mistakes, run somebody nobody actively hates, and get his ass out of the White House.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm
No doubt Republicans will try their best to use all the dirty tricks in their arsenal, and no doubt Trump is, in places, a formidable and likely unstoppable candidate. But unless they change the electoral college system, it still comes down to some pretty simple math. Trump's core is still sticking with him, but he hasn't gained any additional followers in the past three years, and has lost some that held their nose and voted for him last time. Washington, and California, for example, aren't going to vote for Trump if the Dems ran a three-legged chipmunk, and Alabama and West Virginia, for example, will vote Trump no matter who the Dem nominee is. So if Trump wins everything he won in 2016, and the Dems win everything they won except turning say, Wisconsin and Florida, then Trump goes away, more or less. At least is booted from power. Everybody - news media, political analysts, party yammerers, all keep acting like it's a national vote. It's not. And that's how Trump won last time out in part out of Hillary neglect of the midwest, and by turning states (barely, by a few thousand votes) that normally vote blue. Don't make the same mistakes, run somebody nobody actively hates, and get his ass out of the White House.
Hey, don't count us out.

North Carolina General Election Polls
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

“Oh yeah,” Perez should step down as party chairman, said Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio). “We’re a party in chaos.” :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In reality, if 45SHOLE loses NC there's a good chance that he's lost the nation with or without NC. However, we could be key in flipping the Senate.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:39 pm
“Oh yeah,” Perez should step down as party chairman, said Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio). “We’re a party in chaos.” :lol:
It's been a tough week for leftists.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:01 pm
It is perhaps a bit early to make predictions about the November general election outcome until we know who the Dem nominee will be. It's very much up in the air at this point.
I read O Really as doing more analysis than prediction.
Also an unknown is what new outrages Trump will pull between then an now. Already he's strutting around, using profanity in his conferences, and acting like the spoiled brat he's always been.
He even crapped all over the historically nonpartisan Prayer Breakfast, not that his adoring Trumpettes will ever have the balls to object.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:16 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
It's been a tough week for leftists.
The spectacle of the beleaguered and abandoned state party leader has frustrated a number of his fellow state party chairs, leading some of them to conclude Perez has sought to distance himself from the crisis and scapegoat Price in the process.

“Loads of state party chairs are pissed that he would treat one of their peers like this,” said a senior state party official familiar with the ongoing discussions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:40 pm
In reality, if 45SHOLE loses NC there's a good chance that he's lost the nation with or without NC. However, we could be key in flipping the Senate.
Current Senate: R 53, D 47 (including 2 I)

Democrats | 12 Held Seats
1 leans D, 1 leans R (AL)

Republicans | 23 Held Seats
3 toss up, 3 lean R (including NC)

https://cookpolitical.com/ratings/senate-race-ratings

Not bad. 50-50 goes to whoever wins the WH.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Mayo Pete!

#whiteobama

😄

And I know that I sound like a bot that has studied human behavior by watching 100 hours of Obama speeches. So let’s get #WhiteObama trending, and please not ironically.” - #SNL on Mayor Pete
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1226511238454075395
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Mayo Pete!
"But not as spicy." :D
#whiteobama

😄
And I know that I sound like a bot that has studied human behavior by watching 100 hours of Obama speeches. So let’s get #WhiteObama trending, and please not ironically.” - #SNL on Mayor Pete
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1226511238454075395

New Hampshire Democratic Debate Cold Open - SNL

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"I knew Barrack Obama, Barrack Obama was my friend, and you, sir, are no Barrack Obama."

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Poor malarkey Joe being thrown under the bus.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:41 pm
"I knew Barrack Obama, Barrack Obama was my friend, and you, sir, are no Barrack Obama."
Part of the joke is that it's really Biden that's running as #whiteobama.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio). “We’re a party in chaos.” :lol:
She's right. :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Buttigieg Wins Most Iowa Delegates After Party Reviews Votes

Biden stumbles toward finish line in New Hampshire, clinging to hope of South Carolina

It's certainly not fair, especially to nonwhites, that Iowa can sink a Dem POTUS campaign, but I'm not broken up over it. I prefer both the old progressives and the younger moderates over Joe. He's served the nation with honor, but his time is past.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump predicts impeachment will complicate reelection for Schumer, Nadler

President Donald Trump on Monday predicted that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler will be defeated by more liberal primary challengers as a result of their handling of the impeachment push against him....
:confusion-scratchheadblue:

POSPOTUS is an idiot, as always. Love them or hate them, Chuck Schumer isn’t even up for reelection until 2022 :lol: and Jerrold Nadler won his last primary in 2016 with 89.5% of the vote. Plus, no liberals will hold the impeachment against them. They know that Dolt .45 and the cowardly, ovine, unpatriotic Senate Repugs prevented a fair trial.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Biden calls voter a 'lying dog-faced pony soldier'

... In an exchange that was widely shared on social media, 21-year-old Georgia college student Madison Moore asked the presidential hopeful to explain his poor performance in the Iowa caucus last week.

"It's a good question," replied Biden, whose status as national frontrunner for the Democratic nomination was shaken by a damaging fourth-place showing in Iowa's caucuses.
It's a fine question, one that may have been asked by a Biden supporter.
"Have you ever been to a caucus?" he asked the Mercer University student, who nodded.
What relevance does that have to her question?

Fwiw, My state had Dem caucuses in 1984. I can't remember why, but never again. I was even selected as an uncommitted delegate to the state convention, but I didn't particularly like the process vs. a primary.
"No, you haven't," Biden said. "You're a lying, dog-faced pony soldier."
:wtf: How would he know where she's from, and why be so mean to a young woman?
Biden's campaign press secretary Remi Yamamoto tweeted the comment was a joke: "It's from a John Wayne movie and he's made it plenty of times before."
What's the "joke"? I'll bet the John Wayne context was vastly different.
... Moore told The Washington Post it was "totally irrelevant whether I've been to a caucus or not."

"Joe Biden has been performing incredibly poorly in this race. His inability to answer a simple question from a nobody college student like me only exacerbates that reality," she said.
If there was any doubt, he just lost NH, maybe dropping to single digits and 5th, and maybe sinking his entire campaign. This feels to me like a 'Howard Dean scream' moment. If so, 45SHOLE will take a victory lap, but shit like this makes me wonder if Joe was ever the most likely to beat him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:10 pm

If there was any doubt, he just lost NH, maybe dropping to single digits and 5th, and maybe sinking his entire campaign. This feels to me like a 'Howard Dean scream' moment. If so, 45SHOLE will take a victory lap, but shit like this makes me wonder if Joe was ever the most likely to beat him.
Several months ago, somebody - and it might have been I - noted that Biden has never run a very good campaign, and he'd unfortunately probably step on his own dick somewhere sometime during this one. That dick may have been stepped on.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:33 pm
Several months ago, somebody - and it might have been I - noted that Biden has never run a very good campaign, and he'd unfortunately probably step on his own dick somewhere sometime during this one. That dick may have been stepped on.
It gets even worse, if that's possible.

Trevor Noah, paraphrased: No one can find the John Wayne movie that the quote is supposedly from.

Pete's Record | Joe Biden For President

Trevor Noah, paraphrased: That's a very bitchy ad.

Noah didn't even mention that throughout the ad it's, "Vice President Biden," but "former Mayor Buttigieg". In case anyone's keeping score, it's been over 3 years since Biden was VP, but just over a month since Pete was mayor.

For the record, I like colored lights under bridges and decorative sidewalks.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Slate:
"Biden has used the line before and Reuters reported that he’s said it’s a reference to the 1953 John Wayne movie “Hondo.” A search of the script revealed a few references to pony soldiers and lying, but not together nor with the dog-faced portion.

Some on social media suggested Biden may have been referencing “Pony Soldier,” a 1952 film that starred Tyrone Power and not John Wayne. However, according to Slate, the line as Biden used it never appeared in that film either."