Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:00 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:22 am
I think they get all of their legal advice from YouTube.
If that, even.
The protest groups also have a very limited concept of the "Freedom of Assembly" part of the First Amendment, too. There's only one cure for any of the ills we all have now. "Vote him away, vote him away, vote him away, vote him away..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw
Thanks! 8.4M views. Then, these brothers got a hold of it:
How Immigrant Twin Brothers Are Beating Trump's Team on Facebook

It was a campaign video that reached seemingly every Democratic corner of the internet: former President Barack Obama’s 12-minute endorsement of his former vice president and indictment of the current president. On Obama’s Facebook page, one of the most popular destinations in politics with 55.3 million followers, his endorsement of Joe Biden was viewed more than 4 million times.

But another Facebook page, run by twin brothers who immigrated from Mexico, reached substantially more eyes. Their reposting of Obama’s endorsement, with a simple “BREAKING” text over the video, clocked more than 23 million views.

Meet Rafael and Omar Rivero, the co-founders of Occupy Democrats, the social media mavens of the left who are quickly emerging as a counterweight to the dominance of right-wing online sites....

Over the past month, nearly half of the 40 top-performing videos on Facebook that mention “Trump” were from Occupy Democrats. They have had a top-10 performing post on Facebook regularly for months. A video they recently posted called “The Liar Tweets Tonight,” sung by a choir of individually recorded voters to the tune of “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” was viewed 41 million times, among the most-watched videos on Facebook over the past month....
:lol: :clap: :---P
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Overall state and county specific numbers

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

By state per million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/

Looking at the two sites you can see the virus concentrated in areas with large cities and robust public transportation systems and poverty.

Maybe we need to rethink crowding people into cities and using public transportation, or at least a tweek or two to public transportation.

Ending poverty, or knocking it back, really wouldn't be that hard if we could just get the christians to get on board with Jesus.
Although the OT is full of slavery, murder, war and genocide for profit, the only one preaching the prosperity gospel in the NT was the devil.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
I have 100,000 reasons for voting for Biden.
Ouch.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 am
Found:
I have 100,000 reasons for voting for Biden.
Ouch.
Or 200,000 before election day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am
Or 200,000 before election day.
:(

New COVID-19 hot spots emerge across the U.S.: Here's what you need to know

Alabama :o
Arkansas
California :o
North Carolina Crap
Virginia
Wisconsin
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Nothing to do specifically with Coronavirus, but interesting nonetheless:

"The countries with the best value healthcare in the world revealed"

US is
Spoiler:
Not in the top 30
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... hp#image=1

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:29 pm
Nothing to do specifically with Coronavirus, but interesting nonetheless:

"The countries with the best value healthcare in the world revealed"

US is
Spoiler:
Not in the top 30
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... hp#image=1
Ugh, I was too optimistic by 14.

Counties in Florida, Iowa worry CDC as emerging coronavirus 'areas of concern'

Crap. Let's all go hang out at neoplacebo's and Whack9's. O Really, out of the frying pan . . .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Crap. Let's all go hang out at neoplacebo's and Whack9's. O Really, out of the frying pan . . .
Not really - if you look up there in the northeast section of WA close to the borders of Canada and Crazyland, it's gray. But that may be because there aren't enough people here to get a darker color.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Not really - if you look up there in the northeast section of WA close to the borders of Canada and Crazyland, it's gray. But that may be because there aren't enough people here to get a darker color.
Yeah, I know, it's just odd that WA is now worse than CA. Nobody lives where WA is dark, either, so I'm guessing their ranking is proportional to the total population. Stay safe.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, I know, it's just odd that WA is now worse than CA. Nobody lives where WA is dark, either, so I'm guessing their ranking is proportional to the total population. Stay safe.
The lower dark blob is around the "Tri-cities" area and Yakima, which has had a couple of factory-type clusters lately. The top dark blob is mostly a rez, where the virus has been somewhat running amock among first nation people. But considering the start back in Kirkland early in the year and the resultant Seattle area mess, the state has actually done pretty well. Mask compliance isn't very high, but it's not mandatory here. I wish the stores would enforce a "no shirt no shoes no mask no service" rule.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 pm
O Really wrote:
The lower dark blob is around the "Tri-cities" area and Yakima, which has had a couple of factory-type clusters lately. The top dark blob is mostly a rez, where the virus has been somewhat running amock among first nation people. But considering the start back in Kirkland early in the year and the resultant Seattle area mess, the state has actually done pretty well. Mask compliance isn't very high, but it's not mandatory here. I wish the stores would enforce a "no shirt no shoes no mask no service" rule.
:D Looks like I'm relatively safe in the gray area I inhabit. They have county statistics for the area around here on the news each night and of the eight or so counties they show on their map, virus cases are all in the single digits except Unicoi, the last TN county before NC. But then again, the local media is owned by Sinclair so I always take what they say with that in mind. And I also take comfort in the fact that "Sinclair" used to be a brand of gasoline around here that did not survive for one reason or another. Their symbol was a dinosaur.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump praises success against coronavirus in states that are seeing cases spike (Georgia, Florida, South Carolina)

Opps.
... Earlier this week, DeSantis made a bid for Florida to host the Republican National Convention, after plans to hold it in North Carolina were scrapped, following a dispute over social-distancing measures between the party and the state’s Democratic governor....
That sounds like a move is a done deal.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Sorry, billy.pilgrim, maybe.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Trump is determined to have nothing less than a super-spreader event. Biggest super-spreader event ever held. You've never seen such a super-spreader event. We'll have an incredible amount of spreading. People say our spreading is unbelievable. I can tell you our event will be bigger and spread more than Obama ever thought of.

On a less frivolous note: of all the things one can do and places one can go, a big group indoor meeting, without masks and distancing would be the highest risk outside of a covid ward in a hospital.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:43 pm
Trump is determined to have nothing less than a super-spreader event. Biggest super-spreader event ever held. You've never seen such a super-spreader event. We'll have an incredible amount of spreading. People say our spreading is unbelievable. I can tell you our event will be bigger and spread more than Obama ever thought of.

On a less frivolous note: of all the things one can do and places one can go, a big group indoor meeting, without masks and distancing would be the highest risk outside of a covid ward in a hospital.
It will be a "super-duper" spreader event.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So what could be done if one wanted a big free range crowd? I suppose you could test everybody who would be attending and keep them quarantined while the results come in and time the testing to be immediately before the convention. But they'd all have to get there early, because they couldn't fly in or make any overnight stops on a drive. But out of 7,000 or so people, not including the venue staff, drivers, hotel staff, restaurant/catering people, security people...what are the chances nobody - nobody - has the virus?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Protests, trump rally, hair salons, schools, bars and parties -
with this kind of important shit going on, who gonna worry about some damn virus.

Over the past 3 days, Florida has broken 3 records for new cases - we put our reopening to work

On the bright side, Florida is long and skinny and nearly all the cases are 400 to 700 miles away from me.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/corona ... 13417.html
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Protests, trump rally, hair salons, schools, bars and parties -
with this kind of important shit going on, who gonna worry about some damn virus.

Over the past 3 days, Florida has broken 3 records for new cases - we put our reopening to work

On the bright side, Florida is long and skinny and nearly all the cases are 400 to 700 miles away from me.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/corona ... 13417.html
Alabama Tops 1,000 New COVID-19 Cases In One Day
Just two days after reporting a record number of new COVID-19 cases, Alabama sets another daily record for new cases.

Opps.

Not that I'm provincially bragging. NC still sucks and I'm not sure why. Also, Henderson County is the worst in WNC, though my MD says it's due to the huge number of elder care facilities here.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

But there's really no way to know how many total cases there are, right? The ones listed as "confirmed" come only from the group that has been tested and found positive. So out of the bunch tested, you've got 90% who maybe felt bad enough to get tested, or were maybe tested because the work in a nursing home or somewhere. But you've also got people who (a) theoretically have the virus without symptoms; and (b) feel marginally under the weather but don't get tested. That would seem maybe to be a lot of people, wandering around spreading their germs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:59 pm
But there's really no way to know how many total cases there are, right? The ones listed as "confirmed" come only from the group that has been tested and found positive. So out of the bunch tested, you've got 90% who maybe felt bad enough to get tested, or were maybe tested because the work in a nursing home or somewhere. But you've also got people who (a) theoretically have the virus without symptoms; and (b) feel marginally under the weather but don't get tested. That would seem maybe to be a lot of people, wandering around spreading their germs.
I consider hospitalizations and deaths to be better gauges of how a state is doing. However, positive tests adjusted for the numbers being tested have some usefulness to the scientists.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:59 pm
I consider hospitalizations and deaths to be better gauges of how a state is doing. However, positive tests adjusted for the numbers being tested have some usefulness to the scientists.
Agreed, but if you knew, for example, that everyone with the virus showed severe symptoms and required hospitalization, then you could release a lot of restrictions in places that don't have any. But since that's not the case, you have to assume that everybody you walk past could be a carrier.