Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Finally made it to the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum yesterday. You think you know a lot and then you are confronted with all that you don't.
We had planned on the Memorial too, but with the rain and having spent much longer than planned in the Museum that will be for another day.

There was just so much, it was overwhelming. From 73% a state's entire budget derived from renting black prison labor to rich plantation owners to seeing articles and opinion pieces discussing if the accused should be burned or lynched - he was lynched.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Finally made it to the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum yesterday. You think you know a lot and then you are confronted with all that you don't.
We had planned on the Memorial too, but with the rain and having spent much longer than planned in the Museum that will be for another day.

There was just so much, it was overwhelming. From 73% a state's entire budget derived from renting black prison labor to rich plantation owners to seeing articles and opinion pieces discussing if the accused should be burned or lynched - he was lynched.
You've mentioned in the past that you're from, or spent time, in TN and you're living in FL now. I assume you've been in the south most of your life. I find it surprising that you seem to have not been aware of the extent of lynchings and other murder of blacks in the south. I realize they didn't teach about it in public schools, but the fact is that lynchings were not at all uncommon up until the 1950's. Typically, lynchings were attended by many spectators; you could say some of them drew crowds,,,,,many of the jurors who acquitted the perpetrators were present in those crowds. After the mid fifties or so, the rednecks and the Klan became more covert with their murders. And even then, the local (white) authorities would seldom convict the killers. Go back and watch the "Mississippi Burning" movie again.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

You've mentioned in the past that you're from, or spent time, in TN and you're living in FL now. I assume you've been in the south most of your life. I find it surprising that you seem to have not been aware of the extent of lynchings and other murder of blacks in the south. I realize they didn't teach about it in public schools, but the fact is that lynchings were not at all uncommon up until the 1950's. Typically, lynchings were attended by many spectators; you could say some of them drew crowds,,,,,many of the jurors who acquitted the perpetrators were present in those crowds. After the mid fifties or so, the rednecks and the Klan became more covert with their murders. And even then, the local (white) authorities would seldom convict the killers. Go back and watch the "Mississippi Burning" movie again.
I have been very aware. My point was more that there's no one here who wouldn't be overwhelmed by how much more there is.

I knew Anderson before I visited
I knew Dachau before I visited
But I was still overwhelmed when I went there.
There's a sacredness at the actual place or at a memorial that isn't as forceful in the history books, or even in historical fiction.

Yeah, if you are in Montgomery, go be amazed at how much more you can know and feel about the plight of people who lived in a state of constant confrontation with the hatred and bigotry of power and law.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm
I have been very aware. My point was more that there's no one here who wouldn't be overwhelmed by how much more there is.

There's a sacredness at the actual place or at a memorial that isn't as forceful in the history books, or even in historical fiction.

Yeah, if you are in Montgomery, go be amazed at how much more you can know and feel about the plight of people who lived in a state of constant confrontation with the hatred and bigotry of power and law.
Thanks for letting us know. I'll make it there some year.

I know what you mean about finding things you already know to be surprising, informative and powerful when they smack you in the face.
Anderson and Dachau for me, too.
Neuengamme concentration camp - I got adult lifelong Hamburg cousins to take me. Though youngish at the time, educated and liberal, they had never gone. We were all blown away.
DC's United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
Various Civil War reminders in Cadiz and Barcelona, Spain.
Gettysburg and other battlefields.
Wild spaces and other natural wonders.
neoplacebo's stereo.

Oddly, I was first reminded of reading Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure by my friend Dan Baum. By 1996 I had lived the drug war personally for decades and professionally for several years. Even so, I was shocked and saddened practically every page.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I didn't mean to disparage or denigrate your personal experience after visiting a museum; I just got the impression that you'd not really been too cognizant of the prevalence of that sort of thing and the tolerance of it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The vast majority of these Confederate monuments were erected during the period of 1890 to 1930 or so. The biggest one, though, Stone Mountain in GA was not completed until about 1972. Anyway, most of them were sponsored by Confederate veterans organizations and by the Daughters of the Confederacy. The whole idea was to convince the poor white trash to support the rich white trash ruling class against their own poor white trash interests and make them feel that somehow no matter how bad things are, it was better to be poor white trash instead of being black.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:41 pm
The vast majority of these Confederate monuments were erected during the period of 1890 to 1930 or so. The biggest one, though, Stone Mountain in GA was not completed until about 1972. Anyway, most of them were sponsored by Confederate veterans organizations and by the Daughters of the Confederacy. The whole idea was to convince the poor white trash to support the rich white trash ruling class against their own poor white trash interests and make them feel that somehow no matter how bad things are, it was better to be poor white trash instead of being black.
It synced with the rise of the KKK and invention of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy myth. Then, there was a later wave of monuments as Jim Crow came under attack.
Black contractor braves threats in removing Richmond statues

Devon Henry paced in nervous anticipation, because this was a project like nothing he’d ever done. He wore the usual hard hat — and a bulletproof vest.

An accomplished Black businessman, Henry took on a job the city says others were unwilling to do: lead contractor for the now-completed removal of 14 pieces of Confederate statuary that dotted Virginia’s capital city. There was angry opposition, and fear for the safety of all involved.

But when a crane finally plucked the equestrian statue of Gen. Stonewall Jackson off the enormous pedestal where it had towered over this former capital of the Confederacy for more than a century, church bells chimed, thunder clapped and the crowd erupted in cheers.

Henry’s brother grabbed him, and they jumped up and down. He saw others crying in the pouring rain.

“You did it, man,” said Rodney Henry....
"now-completed removal"
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

VMI to remove statue of Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson

The Virginia Military Institute’s board voted Thursday to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson that currently stands in front of the historic barracks on campus, a school spokesperson said.

Spokesman William “Bill” Wyatt said the board also voted to take a number of other steps toward addressing issues of diversity, including directing the adoption of a diversity hiring plan and creating a permanent diversity office.

The moves come as VMI, the nation's oldest state-supported military college, is facing an outside investigation into what Virginia officials have characterized as a culture of “structural racism.”

VMI's superintendent, retired Army Gen. J.H. Binford Peay III, resigned Monday, a week after the investigation was announced on the heels of a story in The Washington Post that described Black cadets and alumni facing racist incidents such as lynching threats and a white professor reminiscing in class about her father’s Ku Klux Klan membership.

“VMI, like all aspects of society, must honestly address historical inequities and be intentional about creating a better future. We care deeply about the individual experiences of all of our cadets and alumni,” John William “Bill” Boland, president of the Board of Visitors, said in a statement....
:---P :---P :---P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Pensacola's monument came down yesterday

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:52 am
Pensacola's monument came down yesterday
Congrats!
Crews remove Pensacola Confederate monument

After several years of debate and controversy, crews on Monday began working to remove the Confederate monument in downtown Pensacola....

In July, Pensacola City Council voted 6-1 to remove the statue and renaming Lee Square back to Florida Square....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New Mexico elects all women of color to the House for first time in the state's history

2 Native Americans and a Latinx. :clap: :clap: :clap:
... The first U.S. state to have an all women of color House delegation was Hawaii in 1990, when Rep. Patsy Mink (D-Hawaii) and Rep. Pat Saiki (R-Hawaii) took office....
Perhaps the only prior state, too.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm
Mississippi lawmakers vote to remove rebel emblem from flag

... Republican Gov. Tate Reeves has said he will sign the bill, and the state flag will lose its official status as soon as he does. That could happen in the next few days....

A commission is to design a new flag that cannot include the Confederate symbol and that must have the words “In God We Trust.” Voters will be asked to approve the new design in the Nov. 3 election. If they reject it, the commission will set a different design using the same guidelines, and that would be sent to voters later.

Mississippi has a 38% Black population — and the last state flag that incorporates the emblem that’s widely seen as racist.

Republican House Speaker Philip Gunn, who is white, has pushed for five years to change the flag, saying that the Confederate symbol is offensive. The House passed the bill 91-23 Sunday afternoon. Within hours, the Senate followed suit, 37-14....

Debate over changing the flag has arisen before, and in recent years an increasing number of cities and all the state’s public universities have taken it down on their own. But the issue has never garnered enough support in the conservative Republican-dominated Legislature or with recent governors.

That dynamic shifted in a matter of weeks as an extraordinary and diverse coalition of political, business, religious groups and sports leaders pushed to change the flag.

At a Black Lives Matter protest outside the Mississippi Governor’s Mansion in early June, thousands cheered as an organizer said the state needs to divorce itself from all Confederate symbols.

Religious groups — including the large and influential Mississippi Baptist Convention — said erasing the rebel emblem from the state flag is a moral imperative.

Business groups said the banner hinders economic development in one of the poorest states in the nation.

In a sports-crazy culture, the biggest blow might have happened when college sports leagues said Mississippi could lose postseason events if it continued flying the Confederate-themed flag. Nearly four dozen of Mississippi’s university athletic directors and coaches came to the Capitol to lobby for change....

Democratic state Sen. Derrick Simmons of Greenville, who is African American, said the state deserves a flag that will make all people proud.

“Today is a history-making day in the state of Mississippi,” Simmons told colleagues. “Let’s vote today for the Mississippi of tomorrow.”
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

We'll have to wait for the atheists' victory in the next Civil War to deal with that “In God We Trust" thing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/mis ... e-n1246589

"Officials hoisted the flag outside Hattiesburg City Hall and on the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Good for them. I do have a problem associating "Oxford" and "Mississippi" in the same thought. To me, Oxford is an esteemed institution of higher learning and Mississippi is an imitation of something hard to define and just out of reach.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:45 am
https://weartv.com/news/local/pensacola ... arking-lot

Any guess what color the mom is.
Orange at the moment? :D

Googling for a pic failed me.

Hmmm,
Walmart and baby in car could be either;
Getting arrested - for this offense - could be either, but the fact that you ask makes me think Black;
Her name, Brittany Ashmore, makes me think White;
The car makes me think White and that's what I'll go with, but without much confidence.

Do you know?

Why do they need 3 cop rigs, and is that truck also PPD?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:

The vast majority of people that leave babies in hot cars are white. I don't know what this means. More white people? More white babise? More white hot cars?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:01 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Orange at the moment? :D

Googling for a pic failed me.

Hmmm,
Walmart and baby in car could be either;
Getting arrested - for this offense - could be either, but the fact that you ask makes me think Black;
Her name, Brittany Ashmore, makes me think White;
The car makes me think White and that's what I'll go with, but without much confidence.

Do you know?

Why do they need 3 cop rigs, and is that truck also PPD?
Had she been black wouldn't there have been a big mugshot at the top of the story?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:41 pm
Had she been black wouldn't there have been a big mugshot at the top of the story?
Idk, right-wingers say the same thing about White perps. Is that TV station racist? I can't find any mention of the incident on the PNJ or PPD websites. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

This one got a pic:

SRSO: Pensacola woman arrested after hitting man with car, driving with him on hood

Stand Your Asphalt. That would have been wild to watch.
1312. ETTD.