Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Reminds me of the Dave Chapelle show where Dave, as Rick James, slugs Charlie Murphy in the forehead with his "Unity" ring and Charlie Murphy, aka "Darkness" from then on has "Unithy" imbedded into his forehead. There's probably an old video of it somewhere.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm
Reminds me of the Dave Chapelle show where Dave, as Rick James, slugs Charlie Murphy in the forehead with his "Unity" ring and Charlie Murphy, aka "Darkness" from then on has "Unity" imbedded into his forehead. There's probably an old video of it somewhere.
More "Unity" :roll: :
A Louisiana cemetery told the family of a Black deputy he couldn't be buried there because it was only for White people

... Semien went to Oaklin Springs Cemetery in Oberlin earlier this week to inquire about laying her husband to rest there. But a woman at the cemetery turned her away because her husband was African American.

"I met with the lady out there and she said she could NOT sell me a plot because the cemetery is a WHITES ONLY cemetery," Semien wrote on Facebook. "She even had paperwork on a clipboard showing me that only white human beings can be buried there. She stood in front of me and all my kids. Wow what a slap in the face."

... Creig Vizena, president of the Oaklin Springs Cemetery Association, told CNN affiliate KATC that he was ashamed to learn about how the Semien family had been treated. The woman who turned them away was in her 80s and has since been "relieved of her duties," he told the Washington Post.
That's gonna mess with her resume. :D
... Vizena told KPLC that he hadn't been aware of the language contained in the cemetery's sales contracts, which date back to the 1950s and included the phrase "the right of burial of the remains of white human beings." The issue hadn't come up before, he said.

"I take full responsibility for that," Vizena told KPLC. "I've been the president of this board for several years now. I take full responsibility for not reading the by-laws."
How about taking full responsibility for zero effort marketing to non-Whites during those "several years"?
... Vizena apologized and said he offered the family one of the plots that he owns so that Darrell Semien could be buried there. But the damage had been done, and they declined.
Yeah :obscene-birdiered: .
In 2016, the city of Waco, Texas, ordered the removal of a chain-link fence from a public cemetery that was used to separate the White section from the Black section. A similar fence at a cemetery in Mineola, Texas, came down last year....
Assholes.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm
Reminds me of the Dave Chapelle show where Dave, as Rick James, slugs Charlie Murphy in the forehead with his "Unity" ring and Charlie Murphy, aka "Darkness" from then on has "Unithy" imbedded into his forehead. There's probably an old video of it somewhere.
Dave Chapelle is taking on your Navy, too.
Navy Task Force Calls for Changing Ship Names that Honor Confederacy

... "Our Navy must continue to remove barriers to service, and most importantly, be a shining example of a workforce centered on respect, inclusive of all," the CNO (Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday) said.
Unity. :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:thumbup: A fundamental concept; too bad it's one the nutjobs and wingnuts and lie worshipers will never grasp.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

St. Louis agrees to $5 million settlement with Black officer beaten by police at protest

... The city of St. Louis has agreed to a $5 million settlement with a Black police officer who was beaten by five white officers while working undercover at a protest.

Luther Hall was participating in a 2017 protest, working undercover following the acquittal of another St. Louis police officer, Jason Stockley, who had been charged in the 2011 murder of a Black man suspected of selling drugs.

According to his lawsuit, which was detailed by a local news outlet, Hall suffered a tailbone injury and a two-centimeter laceration above his lips, plus he had to undergo surgery to repair herniated discs in his neck and back.

Four officers involved in the attack — Christopher Myers, Dustin Boone, Randy Hays and Bailey Colleta — have been indicted on federal civil rights violations charges. Colleta was also charged with lying to a grand jury. A fifth officer, Steve Korte, was also charged with civil right violations and of lying to the FBI.

Hall remains a member of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, where he is a 22-year veteran. However, reports are unclear if he ever returned to duty after the incident.

Myers, Boone, Hays and Colletta all left the SLMPD; Korte is still employed by the department.

Colletta pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI and a federal grand jury about the assault. Hays pleaded guilty to deprivation of constitutional rights. Both are awaiting sentencing. The remaining officers pleaded not guilty and will be tried next month.

In addition to the vicious beating, the officers also destroyed Hall’s cellphone and were charged with the destruction of evidence....
:---P :---P :---P :---P :---P
:---P :!:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rep. Cori Bush brings Black Lives Matter passion to the halls of Congress

On Jan. 3, Bush took her oath of office and became the first Black congresswoman in Missouri’s 200-year history as a state....

Bush, 44, represents a new wave of progressive politicians in Congress, along with freshman congressman Jamaal Bowman and other more seasoned members of “the Squad,” who don’t shy away from the passionate rhetoric often heard at street marches in the communities they represent.

During the Brown protests in 2014, Bush was working as a registered nurse and pastor in St. Louis when she started demonstrating in Ferguson. With each successive day that she protested in the streets, she says, she hoped justice would be served.

“I felt like if I kept going back, I would see justice,” Bush said. “[I kept thinking,] I didn’t get it today, so let me go back tomorrow.”

... “She continues to show up over and over again, reminding everybody that not only is she a proud Black woman, but that she is from St. Louis and she represents the most marginalized people of St. Louis,” Cullors added....

Black Lives Matter isn’t slowing down, but neither are those who are opposed to it. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Georgia Republican who has expressed sympathy for the conspiracy theory group QAnon, was elected to Congress in the same cycle as Bush....
I can't tell if we're getting better or worse, but Cori gives me hope.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Finally made it to the Memorial. I was impressed and informed at the Legacy Museum a few months back. The Memorial was more of a single emotional statement.

Go to both if you are ever near Montgomery with a few hours time.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org/memorial
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 am
Finally made it to the Memorial. I was impressed and informed at the Legacy Museum a few months back. The Memorial was more of a single emotional statement.

Go to both if you are ever near Montgomery with a few hours time.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org/memorial
:thumbup: Thanks for the report back. Someday . . .

CCSD, Foothill High School investigating George Floyd-related dance proposal sign

Clark County School District is investigating a student who reportedly used a reference to George Floyd to ask another student to a school dance.

The image, which is reportedly a Foothill High School student, shows a female student holding a poster board that reads, "If you went to Sadies with me it would take my breath away! George Floyd." The poster also shows a drawing of Floyd, who died last year after a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck, cutting off his breath....
Henderson, NV:
All the pics that I find blur her face. Why? It's her sign and she shared it. Accountability is in order.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So the Dr. Seuss corporation is pulling several books from its collection because of "racially/cultural insensitiviy" issues. For example, in one, a character (keep in mind it's a Dr. Seuss character) is portrayed in a costume and manner similar to what some working Chinese wore in early 1900's. In another, an Arabian-looking character was shown on a Seuss-camel. Here's the "insensitive Cossack"

And here's a real Cossack

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard or damaging to the little kids' growth to use these images to teach about caricatures, stereotypes, etc. instead of wiping them out. It's not like any of Seuss' characters are exactly realistic, except for the Whos, of course.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

When I was a kid, I thought Japanese guys drank gasoline, had buck teeth, and wore thick glasses. Dr. Seuss was just a gateway for me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:59 am
So the Dr. Seuss corporation is pulling several books from its collection because of "racially/cultural insensitiviy" issues. For example, in one, a character (keep in mind it's a Dr. Seuss character) is portrayed in a costume and manner similar to what some working Chinese wore in early 1900's. In another, an Arabian-looking character was shown on a Seuss-camel....

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard or damaging to the little kids' growth to use these images to teach about caricatures, stereotypes, etc. instead of wiping them out. It's not like any of Seuss' characters are exactly realistic, except for the Whos, of course.
They are 6 early and minor works from his 60-plus book catalog. Nowhere near the big deal that the hypocritical right-wing "cancel culture" whiners say it is.

Discontinuation of six Dr. Seuss books aims to reflect his views on race

I read lots of Dr. Seuss as a child and I don't remember And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, On Beyond Zebra!, McElligot’s Pool, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat’s Quizzer at all.

I think that I and future children will somehow cope. Anyhow, Dr. Seuss gets lots creepier:

The Grinch - SNL

:o :lol:
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I just heard about this, I think for the first time:
West Africa Squadron

The Royal Navy established the West Africa Squadron at substantial expense in 1808 after Parliament passed the Slave Trade Act of 1807, an Act for the Abolition of the Slave Trade. The squadron's task was to suppress the Atlantic slave trade by patrolling the coast of West Africa. With a home base at Portsmouth, it began with two small ships, the 32-gun fifth-rate frigate HMS Solebay and the Cruizer-class brig-sloop HMS Derwent. At the height of its operations, the squadron employed a sixth of the Royal Navy fleet and marines. In 1819 the Royal Navy established a West Coast of Africa Station and the West Africa Squadron became known as the Preventative Squadron. It remained an independent command until 1856 and then again 1866 to 1867.

Between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans. It is considered the most costly international moral action in modern history.
:thumbup: If Wakanda had a White mercenary navy this is what it would have looked like.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Because it's about our HERITAGE AND HISTORY....

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 am
It's a slippery slope. The KKK, child molester, crack dealer and toxic dumper license plates are next.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
It's a slippery slope. The KKK, child molester, crack dealer and toxic dumper license plates are next.
Don't forget baby eating and child trafficking.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

I've long ridiculed the "heritage not hate" mantra at least in part because in the broad sense the "heritage" was hate. And because most of those still honoring their "heritage" cherry-pick it down to the civil war. Say your great-grandparents moved to the US from Japan. Nobody would find it strange that you followed some of their cultural traditions, celebrated some of their holidays, or decorated with Japanese art. Unless - you adopted the "heritage" only from the WWII era, flew your "Rising Sun" flag, threw Pearl Harbor parties, and put up a Hiroheto statue in your yard. But if you did all that, your neighbors might rightfully wonder how much of your "heritage" might really be masked aggression and "hate."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Don't forget baby eating and child trafficking.
That's the HERITAGE AND HISTORY of liberal states.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Things considered "racist" can get a bit out of hand sometime. Apparently one of the contestants on "Bachelor" got trashed for attending some debutante event at a plantation, and then the host got ummm "stepped back" for saying it wasn't that big a deal. But the girl lived in Atlanta. The plantation - as those all over Charleston area and others - was a tourist attraction, popular event venue, toured by many. And the "bachelor" she was on the show to try to nab was a black guy. Maybe I missed something because I don't follow the show, but that seems unreasonable to me.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Don't get excited; you can still get a Sons of the Confederacy plate here in TN.

Requires a $35.00 personalization fee due today. If paying by credit card a convenience fee will apply. Additional fees will apply at the county clerk’s office when the plate is picked up. If you are personalizing a specialty plate, an additional $35.00 fee will also be collected at the clerk’s office.
Can be personalized between three and five characters, unless otherwise stated.
Cannot contain any special characters (~!@#$%^&*).
The first block must contain a character (no leading blank spaces).
The application allows you to enter three personalization options. Three options are not required.
Personalizations are centered, regardless of content. Location of specialty plate's graphic determines exact centering of personalization.
The personalization options are shown in black letters on the website. The printed plate may have a different color.

Sons of the Confederate Veterans

Available To: Owners or lessees of passenger motor vehicles who are residents of the State of Tennessee.

Proceeds Benefit: Tennessee Division of Sons of Confederate Veterans. $35 of the annual fee is allocated in part to the plate's beneficiary.

Annual Fee Amount: $ 96.50

First Choice Second Choice Third Choice

Personalize It!
Order This Plate