Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am
It's a slippery slope. The KKK, child molester, crack dealer and toxic dumper license plates are next.
Don't get excited; you can still get a Sons of the Confederacy plate here in TN....
Literal KKK license plates.

"Some of my best colonies are Black."
Article and more tweets.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You may have heard of this from yesterday:

Oklahoma high school announcer hurls expletives, racial slur when team kneels for national anthem

Ummm, hyperglycemia comes with other symptoms like slurring and confusion, you cowardly pig.

Today:

Norman High wins Oklahoma state title after announcer's racist rant against them

:happy-cheerleaderkid: A perfect 19-0 season.

It's to the discredit of the Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association and the National Federation of High Schools Network that Matt Rowan hasn't already been fired, but he will be. Karma also wins.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This Black Family Ran a Thriving Beach Resort 100 Years Ago. They Want Their Land Back.

In 1912, Willa and Charles Bruce bought a plot of land on the Southern California coast....

The Bruces and their son, Harvey, came from New Mexico and were among the first Black people to settle in what would become the city of Manhattan Beach. They built a resort where other Black families could swim, lounge, eat and dance without being subject to racist harassment.

The harassment came anyway, and the resort thrived despite it. But city officials shuttered the enterprise by condemning the land in 1924, claiming to need it for a public park. The Bruces fought the move through litigation but failed. The city paid them $14,500, and they left their beach and lost their business.
:x
Nearly a century later, their descendants are still seeking restitution....

“What we want is restoration of our land to us,” he said, “and restitution for the loss of revenues.”

While the city is not seriously considering the possibility of monetary restitution — officials have said public funds cannot legally be used to pay such claims — property restoration is now on the table. Last week, Janice Hahn, a Los Angeles County supervisor, said she was open to returning the land to the family, ABC7 Eyewitness News reported. The land has been owned by the county since the 1990s and is now the site of a training center for lifeguards.

“This was an injustice inflicted upon not just Willa and Charles Bruce but generations of their descendants who would almost certainly be millionaires if they had been able to keep that beachfront property,” Hahn said in an emailed statement. She added, “I want the county to be part of righting this wrong.”
:clap:
Both Anthony Bruce and Shepard said that restitution was about more than just their family. They pointed to the long history of racism in the United States, and to stories of Black people being robbed of their land or the fruits of their labor.

“We’ve been stripped of any type of legacy, and we’re not the only family that this has happened to,” Shepard said. “It’s happened all over the United States.”

Manhattan Beach has been reckoning with the story of the Bruces’ shuttered resort for years. A park there was renamed “Bruce’s Beach” in 2007, and the city erected a plaque to tell the family’s story.

But the plaque credits a white landowner, George Peck, with making it possible for the Bruce family to settle there. It omits reports of Peck’s attempts to obstruct Black beachgoers’ paths to the shore.
:roll:
... And in 1924, the city condemned the Bruces’ property, claiming eminent domain in order to use the land as a park. The couple, both of whom were in their 60s, eventually moved to Los Angeles.

The land they left behind would not be developed as a public park for more than three decades.
By definition, bigots are cowardly liars.
... At the county level, officials are expected to meet with Bruce family descendants next week to discuss handing over the property, which could also involve monetary restitution or an agreement to lease the land from the family.

But Shepard said the city that condemned the land should be the one to make amends.

Los Angeles County “is talking about restoring the land to us,” he said. “But the restitution and punitive damages, Manhattan Beach is going to have to pay. We’re going to keep up with them until we get it.”
Good for them. Maybe the county or state have ways to penalize Manhattan Beach if it doesn't do the right thing.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Magazine cover showing Queen Elizabeth II kneeling on Meghan's neck sparks outrage

French magazine Charlie Hebdo caused social media outrage Saturday over its front-page drawing of Queen Elizabeth II kneeling on the neck of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

A caption on the drawing translates to "Why Meghan left Buckingham." A quote bubble near Meghan's head reads, "because I couldn't breathe anymore."

In the photo, shared on the magazine's Twitter account, a menacing-looking Queen Elizabeth II pins Meghan down with her knee. The image is a cartoon recreation of George Floyd's death when a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes during a May 25 arrest....

"Words cannot describe just how disgusting I found that Charlie Hebdo cover. Punching down and constantly drawing racist caricatures it's not satire. It's called being a d---," one Twitter user wrote.

"Charlie Hebdo is a disgusting newspaper that promotes Racism, Xenophobia, Islamophobia and sexism. For years it has made fun of many serious social issues that exists in the world, whilst making millions of dollars," another posted.

Ouch.

I suppose one could also argue that it trivializes George Floyd's ordeal to compare him to the uber-wealthy Markle and her permanent voice on the world stage. However:
... "Anyone with a brain knows that ALL @Charlie_Hebdo_ covers are *intentionally* provocative. That’s their raison d'être. It’s called satire," the tweet read....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Opps. So much for the supportive "We're all Charlie Hebdo" wave from the 2015 shooting. I'm not saying the Queen is not a fair target of satire, just that this particular cover is offensive on several different levels. Makes me reconsider my own sympathy for them a bit, actually. Not to blame the victim, but if you poke enough bears hard enough, eventually it should be expected that one of them will get you.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Swing and a miss.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:21 am
Opps. So much for the supportive "We're all Charlie Hebdo" wave from the 2015 shooting. I'm not saying the Queen is not a fair target of satire, just that this particular cover is offensive on several different levels. Makes me reconsider my own sympathy for them a bit, actually. Not to blame the victim, but if you poke enough bears hard enough, eventually it should be expected that one of them will get you.
It's always existed to offend. Even in 2015 there was a lot of, "We detest it, but mass murder is going too far."

I believe this cover is also inaccurate. I'm not following the Oprah interview controversy, but from the little bit of reporting that I've been unable to avoid it sounds like Harry and Meghan largely exempted the Queen and Prince Philip from their disappointment and ire, something they have not done with Prince Charles.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Opps. So much for the supportive "We're all Charlie Hebdo" wave from the 2015
It's always existed to offend. Even in 2015 there was a lot of, "We detest it, but mass murder is going too far."

Sure, most of us would agree that nobody should get killed over an offensive post/cover, but that doesn't mean there isn't any risk. If you intentionally insult a person or people known to be violent crazies, is it not unreasonable to expect immunity? Just because you have a legal right to do something doesn't necessarily make it wise to do so. If I'm going to risk my life/health and that of my family, I'm going to do it over a bigger issue than publishing my cleverishly offensive cartoon.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Opps. So much for the supportive "We're all Charlie Hebdo" wave from the 2015 shooting....
It's always existed to offend. Even in 2015 there was a lot of, "We detest it, but mass murder is going too far." ...
Sure, most of us would agree that nobody should get killed over an offensive post/cover, but that doesn't mean there isn't any risk. If you intentionally insult a person or people known to be violent crazies, is it not unreasonable to expect immunity? Just because you have a legal right to do something doesn't necessarily make it wise to do so. If I'm going to risk my life/health and that of my family, I'm going to do it over a bigger issue than publishing my cleverishly offensive cartoon.
It's a good thing that England and France have never gone to war. Oh wait . . .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:30 pm

It's a good thing that England and France have never gone to war. Oh wait . . .
Yeah, and all those Frenchmen farting in their general direction and threatening to taunt them again.

But really, I think if one has a choice on which hill to die on s/he should choose wisely.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 am
Because it's about our HERITAGE AND HISTORY....
It's a slippery slope. The KKK, child molester, crack dealer and toxic dumper license plates are next.
Don't forget baby eating and child trafficking.
Aren't those two mutually exclusive?

I mean, if you eat all the babies, then there won't be any children left to traffic.

Simple arithmetic.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It's not generally known except to the Q followers that those baby back ribs you see in stores all come from 8 or 9 year old kids who were trafficked, killed, and butchered at a remote facility in Montana.

O Really
Admiral

Many people don't know that baby spinach is fertilized with ground up dried aborted fetuses (feti?)

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Yeah, I don't see why willful ignorance should morph somehow into a vilified conspiracy theory.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm
It's not generally known except to the Q followers that those baby back ribs you see in stores all come from 8 or 9 year old kids who were trafficked, killed, and butchered at a remote facility in Montana.
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:52 pm
Many people don't know that baby spinach is fertilized with ground up dried aborted fetuses (feti?)
Speaking of babies:

White supremacist propaganda in U.S. hit record in 2020, group says

They sure thrash around as they go extinct.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:48 am
Things considered "racist" can get a bit out of hand sometime. Apparently one of the contestants on "Bachelor" got trashed for attending some debutante event at a plantation, and then the host got ummm "stepped back" for saying it wasn't that big a deal. But the girl lived in Atlanta. The plantation - as those all over Charleston area and others - was a tourist attraction, popular event venue, toured by many. And the "bachelor" she was on the show to try to nab was a black guy. Maybe I missed something because I don't follow the show, but that seems unreasonable to me.
Upon further review --- I'd like to reconsider my opinion. In addition to apparently being a bit of a "mean girl" the contestant, Rachel, there's more to the story of the plantation event. It wasn't just a popular venue - it was selected for an "Old South" party sponsored by the Kappa Alpha fraternity. For anybody who doesn't know, the KA's revel in their "southerness", their real confederate founder Samuel Zenas Ammen in 1865 and their designated "Spiritual Founder" Robert E. Lee, who was president of the college when the frat was founded. As far as I know, each house still flies the traitor battle flag. "Old South" themed parties have generally been banned on campuses. So yeah, if she was hanging with KA's, she pretty much deserves the trashing she got and unless Chris was totally clueless (certainly a possibility), he shouldn't have defended her.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Historical trivia.....it was Robert E. Lee who was in command of the US Army force that re took the Harper's Ferry Arsenal from John Brown.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 am
Historical trivia.....it was Robert E. Lee who was in command of the US Army force that re took the Harper's Ferry Arsenal from John Brown.
Interesting and ironic. Lee was there for the first and last shots of the failed War for Slavery. "Lt. J. E. B. Stuart, serving as a volunteer aide-de-camp," also participated. Lewis William Washington, a great-grandnephew of President George Washington, was a hostage of John Brown and testified against him.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Some things don't change.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Lee High School's most famous alums might also object.
Spoiler:
Lynyrd Skynyrd