Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:48 pm
I don't think the US/Canada coverage has been "too much,'" but that's been far less than BBC. He's a big part of British culture and history, and certainly as much of a "celebrity" as a dead entertainer. But BBC should probably save some coverage for the Queen.
Good point. How will it top itself when she kicks?
BBC’s Prince Philip coverage breaks UK TV complaints record
110,000 people have complained, mostly about excess but also about Andrew, attire – and ease of complaining

... At least 110,994 people have contacted the BBC to express their displeasure at the decision to turn most of the corporation’s TV channels and radio stations over to rolling tributes to the Queen’s husband.

BBC One and BBC Two dedicated Friday evening’s programming to Philip, and their ratings fell as viewers switched off altogether, turned to streaming services or watched shows such as Gogglebox on Channel 4.

According to an internal BBC complaints log seen by the Guardian, an unprecedented level of viewer feedback was received over the weekend, meaning the coverage appears to have elicited one of the most negative reactions to BBC programmes ever seen.

... “It was sad news Prince Philip [sic] died on Friday and I understand the BBC had to acknowledge the fact but on every single one of its channels? Why [not] just put it on one channel for those that want to listen to that drivel and the rest of us can have a bit of music.”

... The previous record for BBC complaints is believed to be the 63,000 objections to the 2005 decision to broadcast Jerry Springer: The Opera, following criticism from Christian groups....

Not all the complaints were about the extent of the BBC’s coverage. Almost 400 people wrote in to complain that Prince Andrew had featured despite his association with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and refusal to answer questions posed by the FBI.

A further 233 people complained that BBC presenters were not wearing sufficiently respectful clothes, with viewers complaining that not all newsreaders were wearing black – an echo of the controversy over the burgundy tie worn by Peter Sissons when he announced the death of the Queen Mother in 2002.

And in a sign that the BBC is destined to be criticised by all sides, 116 people wrote to the corporation over the weekend to complain that it was making it too easy to complain about its coverage.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I saw a story the other day that said Philip and the Queen are cousins. Didn't care enough to check it out. But if true, that makes the lot of them incestuous freaks and royal degenerates until Diana came along and married a son and then the son fell back into another incest gig with another high style buffoon. But the sons of Diana bolted the vile scene and married outside this horror of incestuous aristocracy. If Shakespeare were still around, he'd damn sure write a play about all this treachery and debauchery. ok

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm
I saw a story the other day that said Philip and the Queen are cousins. Didn't care enough to check it out. But if true, that makes the lot of them incestuous freaks and royal degenerates until Diana came along and married a son and then the son fell back into another incest gig with another high style buffoon. But the sons of Diana bolted the vile scene and married outside this horror of incestuous aristocracy. If Shakespeare were still around, he'd damn sure write a play about all this treachery and debauchery. ok
Hits too close to home, Mr. East Tennessee? :P

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:04 am
Rebel

Debuts in April. I have no idea if it will be any good, but I noticed that it features 67 year old Katey Sagal in the title role. Other than Marcy, the entire Married... with Children cast has had a good subsequent career, with Peggy, Al and Kelly really killing it. Good for them.
The pilot was pretty good - very feminist, multi-racial, anti-corporate themes. Not hooked yet, but I'll give it a few more tries.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:28 pm

The pilot was pretty good - very feminist, multi-racial, anti-corporate themes. Not hooked yet, but I'll give it a few more tries.
A show based on Erin Brockovich's adventures anti-corporate? Shocked! Shocked I say.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm
A show based on Erin Brockovich's adventures anti-corporate? Shocked! Shocked I say.
I had not heard that it is "inspired by the life of Erin Brockovich", but I thought of her while watching. She's also one of the executive producers.

:-||

Target #1 is the maker of a flawed artificial heart valve. Interesting choice, not something that many viewers can relate to. The again, not many makers of artificial heart valves buy TV ads.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 am
Minnesota News Cold Open - SNL

... I agree with the Blacks’ premise on the Chauvin trial - I’ve got a bad feeling about the outcome....
Chauvin trial: Defense rests without calling him to the stand

As for the idiotic, unsupported carbon monoxide claim:
1. "Carbon monoxide ... is slightly less dense than air." So, it would have affected Chauvin worse than Floyd.
2. Chauvin is the one that kept Floyd in proximity to the tailpipe and never asked for the car to be turned off - still guilty.

I haven't been following the trial closely, but my impression is that the prosecutor's case was devastating and the defense's response was not at all persuasive. Of course, that means . . . hung jury. :( :x Maaaybe the jury will convict on the least severe of the 3 (?) charges as a "compromise". Without reading the laws or hearing the judge's instructions I have no opinion on this.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:23 pm
This was pretty funny.

Yes, it was quite amusing.

Who knew an iceberg could be so expressive?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm
Not really.
In some societies, such as those of Ancient Egypt, brother–sister, father–daughter, mother–son, cousin–cousin, aunt–nephew, uncle–niece, and other combinations of relations within a royal family were married as a means of perpetuating the royal lineage.[14][15] Some societies have different views about what constitutes illegal or immoral incest. However, sexual relations with a first-degree relative (meaning a parent, sibling or child) are almost universally forbidden.[16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest

Now as for Philip and Liz, they were distant cousins. In most all cultures, not regarded as incest.
Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II were cousins through Queen Victoria

Philip's mother, Princess Alice, was born in 1885 in the presence of her great-grandmother Queen Victoria at Windsor Castle, according to Town & Country. Windsor Castle — where Prince Philip's mother was born in the 19th century — is where the duke died.

Prince Philip was related to Queen Victoria as a great-great-grandson through his maternal side, and his future wife was related to the same queen through her paternal family.

King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret, was a great-grandson of Queen Victoria.

That makes Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth third cousins.
https://www.insider.com/how-were-prince ... ins-2021-4

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ok.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Ok.
I'm shocked and disappointed that you would exaggerate for humorous effect, shocked and disappointed. We sure are lucky to have someone here to straighten you out.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm
It's kinda preachy. We'll see if I decide if that's too annoying. The cast also includes Andy Garcia and Mary McDonnell. :thumbup: :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Ok.
I'm shocked and disappointed that you would exaggerate for humorous effect, shocked and disappointed. We sure are lucky to have someone here to straighten you out.
Yeah, it's certainly out of character for me......I sometimes even humorously exaggerate for effects other than humor. But not today; I've got an entire day planned for watching my own edited and made up episodes of old tv series from the past. I've got an old "I Love Lucy" skit where Fred gets a blowjob from Lucy in the closet while Ricky and Ethel are in the living room. Another one is a Gilligan's Island episode in which Mary Ann is gang fucked by the Skipper, Gilligan, Mr. Howell, and the Professor. I'm not quite ready to watch that Bonanza one where Ben engages in gay sex with Hop Sing and two of his Chinese male relatives. Sometimes you have to get serious.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:31 pm
And you guys use on the air antenna for network programming, local news and sports stuff?
Mostly. Sling also offers some locals and has a DVR function.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Philly D.A.
Season 1, Episode 1 • Premiere
9:00 PM ET ON PBS • TV-PG • Stereo • CC
2 hours

The Philadelphia district attorney uncovers a secret hidden by police and battles to obtain police misconduct files while tensions rise over juvenile sentencing.
Philly D.A. is a 2021 documentary series about progressive Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, district attorney Larry Krasner.

The first two hours of the eight-hour series premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. PBS will begin airing the series on April 20, 2021, on Independent Lens.
8.1/10

A groundbreaking inside look at the long shot election and tumultuous first term of Larry Krasner, Philadelphia's unapologetic District Attorney, and his experiment to upend the criminal justice system from the inside out.
Cool. Coincidental that it premieres on 4/20, I assume, and the day of the Chauvin verdict.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Dumping dry ice into your swimming pool and going swimming:

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:46 pm

Durak!

(A russian high school friend once told me that means "idiot" in Russian.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
:o That sucks. I could see a younger me doing that. I did plenty of other stupid stuff.

Pamela Anderson?

Spoiler:
No, Lily James as Pamela Anderson in the upcoming series, Pam & Tommy.
https://news.yahoo.com/sebastian-stan-l ... 16839.html
:shock: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

SNL

The cold open was sweet with Miley singing and all the moms there for a post CV-19 Mother's Day.
I'm not a Musk fan, but his monologue was pretty good and he held his own in the sketches. He must have put the work in and there was lots of self-deprecation.
The post quarantine party was relatable and funny.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This was even more special than I realized at the time. 2 nights ago Corden and Barack Obama were "joking" that it was the peak of Corden's 6 years hosting The Late Late Show. Wiki also singles it out:
... Corden's special Carpool Karaoke: When Corden Met McCartney, Live From Liverpool was a viral and critical success earning a Primetime Emmy Award nomination and win for Outstanding Variety Special. In the special, Corden and McCartney sang the Beatles songs “Drive My Car", ”Penny Lane” and “Let It Be”. The pair stopped by a Penny Lane street sign, which McCartney signed, McCartney also pointed out various Liverpool landmarks including Saint Barnabas Church, where he had been a choir boy, and also visited his childhood home. The special ended with McCartney and his band surprising a small group of locals at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Pub with a 13-song set that included “A Hard Day's Night,” “Back in the U.S.S.R” and his new single, “Come On To Me”.
viewtopic.php?p=85721#p85721
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 am
Yeah, it’s longish, but I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time. You won't be sorry.

Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke

The Late Late Show with James Corden
Published on Jun 21, 2018

James Corden heads to Liverpool for a special day with Paul McCartney spent exploring the city of Paul's youth, visiting his childhood home where he wrote music with John Lennon, performing songs in a local pub and of course driving around singing a few of Paul's biggest hits.
Comments:
I loved the carpool with rod Stewart but this tops any you have done absolutely amazing cracked a tear when you sung hey jude was emotional to watch this absolutely great video
Has history just been made?
it's 2018 and the Beatles are still relevant, amazing
let it be has so much more meaning to me now.
I can die happily now.
wow my heart.... this was everything
One of the best videos i've seen in my entire life
Could you imagine a tour of Liverpool with Paul McCartney? Best day of almost anyone's life.
James Corden gets and Emmy for this. How absolutely positive and joyful.
Very cool. Made my day.
This was the nicest thing I've seen on TV for a long time. Great show!
awesome! takes me back to when i was a kid and they were on the ed sullivan show on feb. 9, 1964! i was so excited! well done, sir paul.
That was AWESOME!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:16 pm
Whack9 wrote:
:o That sucks. I could see a younger me doing that. I did plenty of other stupid stuff.

Pamela Anderson?

Spoiler:
No, Lily James as Pamela Anderson in the upcoming series, Pam & Tommy.
https://news.yahoo.com/sebastian-stan-l ... 16839.html
:shock: :clap:
Does she have strap on boobies or the world's best push up bra?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.