Olympics

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Olympics

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm
Swimmers are the most cordial competitors.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-golds-hi ... 22273.html
... When the bar was raised to 2.39 meters, a mark that would have tied the Olympic record, neither man could clear it. The high jump was stuck at a stalemate.

After their misses, an Olympic official came over to Barshim and Tamberi, saying that they could go to a jump-off to determine who took home the gold medal.

"Can we have two golds?" Barshim asked.

"It's possible," the official replied....

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:54 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm
Swimmers are the most cordial competitors.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-golds-hi ... 22273.html
... When the bar was raised to 2.39 meters, a mark that would have tied the Olympic record, neither man could clear it. The high jump was stuck at a stalemate.

After their misses, an Olympic official came over to Barshim and Tamberi, saying that they could go to a jump-off to determine who took home the gold medal.

"Can we have two golds?" Barshim asked.

"It's possible," the official replied....

And that's why we watch the Olympics!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:01 am
And that's why we watch the Olympics!
:thumbup: Look who was first to bear hug the new World's Fastest Man, a long shot runner who never broke 10 seconds before this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJ8IoGHzl8
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
... We may never know, but it’s possible that it was easier for Biles to withdraw with Carey next in line. Otherwise, she might have felt even more guilt for exactly the reason you cite.

My GUESS is that Biles will pick one or more event that she feels most comfortable in and will compete in it/them so that she doesn't go home empty handed.
:wave:

Simone Biles coming back to compete in beam final

Good luck, girl.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
... My GUESS is that Biles will pick one or more event that she feels most comfortable in and will compete in it/them so that she doesn't go home empty handed.
Bronze works :thumbup: . I think I heard her say on TV that she had dialed back the difficulty (and danger) to what she was doing at 13 years old. All seem to agree that she performed flawlessly.

Another bronze, young blood taking the lead? ;)
Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe combine for four goals as USWNT wins Olympic bronze medal

... Rapinoe in particular played with the freedom of a consolation game and the intensity of meaningful one — which is exactly what this was. She scored two audacious first-half goals, one directly from a corner, the other a volley picked straight out of the air. She spread her arms and beamed when the first nestled into the far side-netting.

Carli Lloyd also scored twice to become the USWNT’s all-time leading Olympic goalscorer. And the U.S. topped Australia 4-3 to win bronze in what could be Lloyd’s final competitive international match....

Nice pass from whomever.

Wow. Maybe it's wishful hindsight, but I don't think that was ever done to me. It was always a fear, though. This goalie was too far forward and too far off the goal line. Still, incredible corner kick by Rapinoe.

Their other two goals were even prettier.

Trivia: Champion race walkers are faster than the average person can run.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Allyson Felix makes history with 10th Olympic medal

Felix, who took home a bronze in the 400 meters, now has more Olympic track and field medals than any woman in history.

Allyson Felix finished third in the 400 meters Friday to win her 10th career medal and become the most-decorated woman in the history of Olympic track....

Felix’s 10th Olympic medal broke a tie with Jamaican runner Merlene Ottey, and matches Carl Lewis, who also won 10 medals and was alone as the most decorated U.S. athlete in track.

The victory for Felix comes nearly three years after she helped spearhead a conversation about the way women are treated in track, and sports in general. She severed ties with Nike, which wrote in pay reductions to women’s contracts if they became pregnant. Felix had a daughter in 2018.

Felix won the race wearing a shoe she designed for a company she created.
This is the first bronze medal of an Olympic career that spans back to the 2004 Athens Games. Earlier, she had won six gold and three silver. She could go for No. 11 if the U.S. puts her in the 4×400 relay final, which is set for Saturday night.
How could they not?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm
Who said the US women's soccer team lost to Sweden in the Olympics because of 'wokeism'?
Spoiler:
Who is the most woke player on the woke US women's soccer team?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who kicked the game winner penalty kick vs Netherlands?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who is in the semis?
Spoiler:
The woke US women's soccer team.
Who is an idiot and a failure, again?
Spoiler:
45SHOLE
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
I can't say about the team, but another reason that 45SHOLE is an idiot and a failure is that Sweden the nation is more "woke" than the US. It played in the gold medal game.
Canada is also more "woke" than the US. It beat the US to play in the gold medal game.
Australia may not be more "woke" than the US. It lost to the US in the bronze medal game.
Canada's team is at least as "woke" as the US team:
Quinn Is the First Out Trans Olympic Athlete to Win a Gold Medal

In a historic moment, Team Canada won the gold medal in women’s soccer at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo today, defeating Team Sweden 3-2 on penalty kicks. It was the first Olympic gold for the Canadian women, but 25-year-old star Quinn also became the first out trans athlete to win an Olympic medal with the victory....

Quinn also made history this year as the first out trans athlete to compete in the Olympics, and said they had mixed feelings about the honor.

"I feel proud seeing 'Quinn' up on the lineup and on my accreditation," Quinn posted to Instagram, while adding, "I feel sad knowing there were Olympians before me unable to live their truth because of the world."

This was the first Olympic gold for Team Canada’s women’s soccer team after winning bronze in the previous two Olympics....
Gee, 45SHOLE, you're an idiot and a failure several times over.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Olympics ratings have sucked so bad, NBC's trying to give away free ads

... And, indeed: Reports have already begun to emerge that the Tokyo Games’ ratings on NBC (and its labyrinth of attendant networks and streaming services) is significantly lower-rated than 2016's Rio Games—which were already some of the lowest-rated Olympics in years. The New York Times reports, in a long piece today that analyzes the various factors that may have contributed to this particular swan dive, that NBC has gone so far as to offer advertisers who’ve already bought commercial time on the Games some free ad space on its schedule, to make up for their lower-than-expected return on investment.

As to why ratings have taken such a triple gainer into the proverbial toilet, the Times piece casts a pretty wide net. COVID is, obviously, a factor, with safety precautions at the Games, from the opening ceremony onward, making it impossible to escape images that remind everybody of the last pandemic year-plus—no matter how artfully the camera tries to avoid those empty stands.
Also, for me at least, poor COVID management shot a hole in my enthusiasm before the games even started.
But there are also plenty of other factors, including the time gap between the States and Tokyo,
GoCubsGo's point.
which gives plenty of time for spoilers about event performance to leak onto the internet,
My gripe.
and NBC’s own decision to spread its coverage so wide that they actually had to go get election scholar Steve Kornacki to come out and explain which events were on Peacock or NBC Sports or whatever.
O Really's gripe.
But while NBC is probably hoping that whatever went wrong this year is correctible—either through planet-wide vaccination, or the tried-and-true solution of “More Kornacki”
GoCubsGo's wish.
—by the time the Paris Games roll around in 2024, there’s also decent evidence that this is just…how it’s going to be from now on. It’s not news to anybody that the media landscape splinters more every year, as streaming services, TikTok, YouTube, especially shiny birds, etc. only give consumers more and more things to look at instead of the Games that NBC spent more than a billion dollars securing the rights to. (And which the Japanese government has pushed forward on holding, despite protests from a lot of people that it simply wasn’t safe to bring even a relatively limited number of people to Tokyo to hold them.) Per Brad Adgate, a media analyst quoted in the Times piece: “The days of mass-media appointment viewing are dwindling down to, like, the Super Bowl. If you want to look at the Olympics pessimistically, it’s just not the crown jewel that it used to be.”
Sigh, maybe there was something to be said for NannyBC deciding what we could and would all watch together.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:05 pm
Allyson Felix makes history with 10th Olympic medal

Felix, who took home a bronze in the 400 meters, now has more Olympic track and field medals than any woman in history.

Allyson Felix finished third in the 400 meters Friday to win her 10th career medal and become the most-decorated woman in the history of Olympic track....

Felix’s 10th Olympic medal broke a tie with Jamaican runner Merlene Ottey, and matches Carl Lewis, who also won 10 medals and was alone as the most decorated U.S. athlete in track.
... She could go for No. 11 if the U.S. puts her in the 4×400 relay final, which is set for Saturday night.
How could they not?
Allyson Felix wins record-setting 11th Olympic medal as USA women breeze to 4x400 gold

She got 11 with a little help from her friends.

In her last race as an Olympian, Allyson Felix ran the second leg of the U.S.'s dominant gold-medal winning 4x400-meter relay team, earning her 11th career Olympic medal. She passed Carl Lewis as the most decorated American track and field athlete of all time, and is the most decorated woman ever in the sport.

The USA women ran 3 minutes, 16.85 seconds, the fourth-fastest time ever. Poland won the silver medal (3:20.53) and Jamaica won bronze (3:21.24)....

The talent and star power of the U.S. quartet was nearly unprecedented. Felix received the baton from 400 hurdles world record holder and gold medalist Sydney McLaughlin and handed off to Dalilah Muhammad, who had the 400 hurdles world record before McLaughlin and won the silver medal here. The anchor was 19-year-old Athing Mu, who won the 800 gold and in June had the fastest 400 leg in NCAA history, 48.85 seconds....

While Felix repeatedly said this was her last Olympics, when asked if it's possible to see the same four women team up next year at the World Championships, which are being held in the United States for the first time, she didn't say no. Instead, she said, "We'll see."
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 am
Look who was first to bear hug the new World's Fastest Man, a long shot runner who never broke 10 seconds before this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJ8IoGHzl8
Short videos:

The World's Fastest MEN are also from . . . Italy?!

Italy pulls a sprint shocker AGAIN in men's 4x100m photo finish

See it to believe it: The wildest camera angles of Tokyo 2020

Ryan Crouser breaks Olympic record THREE TIMES to win epic shot put gold in Tokyo

. . . in 6 throws, including the 2nd longest throw of all time in the world!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:24 am

Sigh, maybe there was something to be said for NannyBC deciding what we could and would all watch together.
As usual, too much America, too much sports I don't care much about and too little of the smaller sports, and too hard to find and record stuff that's on in the middle of the night or 4:00 a.m. I could watch Peacock, but I can't record it, so there goes wrestling and others. I don't get NBCSports or "Olympic Channel". I did enjoy some diving, some gymnastics, and some of the field/track events. But overall, I contributed to the reduction in viewership from previous years.

The lack of crowds did not bother me at all though. Really didn't notice. Most of the after-event interviews I saw were lame. Some of the athletes were truly phenomenal, including the 14-year old Chinese diver that booked 9 10's in a row, Crowder the shot-putter who is a total beast, womens' pole vault winner who somehow got over 16 feet and looked so joyful in doing so, Felix of course, and some South Korean archer that hit 9 consecutive 10's. Don't know why American mens basketball makes a big deal out of itself. Not surprising that the while everyone had some NBA players, the team with the most NBA stars might win gold. Yawn.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Olympics Synchronized Swimming

Unread post by Ulysses »

Or, now, "Artistic Swimming"...

The best part is Leslie Jones' commentary:

And...

And...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Megan Rapinoe responds to Trump over criticism of US women's soccer team: 'You're rooting for people to do bad?'

:---P Rapinoe also could have pointed out that 45SHOLE's record is 1-1 while her own is astounding. The USWNT even bested 45SHOLE in Japan alone by going 3-2-1 overall. Then, Megan's equally woke fiance, Sue Bird, just won her 5th gold.

Megan Rapinoe Gives 'Amazing' Fiancée Sue Bird a Sweet Kiss After WNBA Star Wins Her Fifth Olympic Gold

Funny that wimpy 45SHOLE is silent about how that utterly defeats his childish, America-hating point.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:51 am

Maybe one could argue over whether it's Olympic-level sport, but if you like the Rockettes or remember the "June Taylor Dancers" or even like the mermaids at Weeki Wachee, you've got to enjoy the show.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:51 am

Maybe one could argue over whether it's Olympic-level sport, but if you like the Rockettes or remember the "June Taylor Dancers" or even like the mermaids at Weeki Wachee, you've got to enjoy the show.
Well, apparently it's been an Olympic event since about 1984, when its main opponent, Avery Brundage, passed. He was against including it in the official games. The name change came, AFAIK, around 2017.

I found the best part of clips I shared here to be Leslie Jones' enthusiastic narration. The swimming was awesome too.

Brundage notwithstanding.
Last edited by Ulysses on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Closing Ceremony

Unread post by Ulysses »

Apparently it's done.

The Best Photos From The Closing Ceremony Of The Tokyo Olympics

I can't say I watched much of it. In that I'm apparently one of many, which has apparently has NBC a bit frantic about lost ad revenue.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know the exact criteria to be an Olympic-worthy sport, but it seems to be pretty fuzzy. If you start with the original competitions like wrestling, track and field, and weightlifting, it's a bit of distance to ping-pong and water polo. And if you have archery, why not darts? If curling, why not bowling?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Closing Ceremony

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:06 pm
... I can't say I watched much of it. In that I'm apparently one of many, which has apparently has NBC a bit frantic about lost ad revenue.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... 88#p142188
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:08 pm
I don't know the exact criteria to be an Olympic-worthy sport, but it seems to be pretty fuzzy. If you start with the original competitions like wrestling, track and field, and weightlifting, it's a bit of distance to ping-pong and water polo. And if you have archery, why not darts? If curling, why not bowling?
All good questions.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:08 pm
Interesting.
The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents. The sport must also increase the ‘‘value and appeal’’ of the Olympic Games and retain and reflect its modern traditions. There are numerous other rules, including bans on purely ‘‘mind sports’’ and sports dependent on mechanical propulsion. These rules have kept chess, automobile racing, and other recognized sports out of the Olympic Games.
https://www.britannica.com/story/how-ar ... e-olympics
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Synchronized Swimming

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 am
Rhythmic gymnastics is similar. I get that extremely subjective "sports" are in - there's also ice dancing, and even elements of figure skating and especially part of the floor exercise in artistic gymnastics. However, I wonder how it got limited to hoop, ball, clubs, and ribbon or rope. Why not also frisbee, slinky, whip, 12" hoagie, stuffed animal, etc?
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.