What are you watching?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: What are you watching?

Unread post by O Really »

I think he may be having trouble with the Gaflupter hookup in the lerkin. It's not like he can just plug the Roku into his TV and turn it on like everybody else, now is it?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 am
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:37 am
Mostly I watch PBS stuff. I save a lot to DVD, so I can enjoy it later.

Currently local stations have been showing a very good program about the Hearst family. Four hours total. I didn't realize he was such a Big Deal in America. Poor Patty.
So, when do you try out your new roku?
Maybe next year...

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:23 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 am
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:37 am
Mostly I watch PBS stuff. I save a lot to DVD, so I can enjoy it later.

Currently local stations have been showing a very good program about the Hearst family. Four hours total. I didn't realize he was such a Big Deal in America. Poor Patty.
So, when do you try out your new roku?
Maybe next year...
What, you aren't going to watch Jon Stewart?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 am
I think he may be having trouble with the Gaflupter hookup in the lerkin. It's not like he can just plug the Roku into his TV and turn it on like everybody else, now is it?
I keep telling you it's the left phalange.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Any Game of Thrones fans?

I just started it.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm

I just started it.
Never got into it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:50 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

I just started it.
Never got into it.
I've watched five episodes. Not really my thing either but it's good enough that I'll probably watch more.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

I just started it.
Never got into it.
I never saw any of those either. I even stopped watching SNL, or S and L as Don junior would say, decades ago. Used to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and also Chappelle Show but they're both dead now. Now I watch old movies, live crime trials, football games, and Sunday morning amateur religious shows. Those things are funny....even make coffee come out of your nose.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Anyone remember appointment TV?

Except for sports, watching network TV is a rarity. The couple of shows I do watch are streaming the next day if I missed them.

No DVD'S neccessary.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

PBS and news mostly. But for evening network news, have to mute it after about 15-20 minutes because of the incessant commercials. If I want to watch a series, I'll buy it on DVD. Doesn't happen too often, though, except for stuff like Downton Abbey.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:

I just started it.
I didn't watch when wife and kid did. They enjoyed it enough that I couldn't help myself. I'll give it an OK+•
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:03 pm
O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

I just started it.
Never got into it.
I never saw any of those either. I even stopped watching SNL, or S and L as Don junior would say, decades ago. Used to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and also Chappelle Show but they're both dead now. Now I watch old movies, live crime trials, football games, and Sunday morning amateur religious shows. Those things are funny....even make coffee come out of your nose.
Jon looks a lot like he did on his old show. He's definitely alive.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:49 pm
PBS and news mostly. But for evening network news, have to mute it after about 15-20 minutes because of the incessant commercials. If I want to watch a series, I'll buy it on DVD. Doesn't happen too often, though, except for stuff like Downton Abbey.
Each to his own

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:04 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:03 pm
O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

I just started it.
Never got into it.
Jon looks a lot like he did on his old show. He's definitely alive.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that he's dead, just that he's no longer running The Daily Show. The new guy just isn't as good.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I've never been very into the monarchs and dragons genre, books or screen. Even naked Emilia Clarke couldn't overcome that.

I read the Foundation Trilogy, along with pretty much anything else by Asimov when I was a teen/young adult. Oddly, Foundation was not my favorite of his.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Useless, are you having a hissy fit because neoplacebo called out your amplifier ignorance, and why are you dissing O Really by dishonestly altering his post? Also, goofball, neoplacebo is proud of his throwback electronics, which sound excellent, btw. You only lose by being so sensitive over the mild teasing you're getting.
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 am
When it comes to hissy fits, (Vrede too) always wins top honor.
Questions cowered from, plus there's "Am not, you are, waaa." SSDD.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:28 am
I've never been very into the monarchs and dragons genre, books or screen. Even naked Emilia Clarke couldn't overcome that.

I read the Foundation Trilogy, along with pretty much anything else by Asimov when I was a teen/young adult. Oddly, Foundation was not my favorite of his.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Useless, are you having a hissy fit because neoplacebo called out your amplifier ignorance, and why are you dissing O Really by dishonestly altering his post? Also, goofball, neoplacebo is proud of his throwback electronics, which sound excellent, btw. You only lose by being so sensitive over the mild teasing you're getting.
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 am
When it comes to hissy fits, (Vrede too) always wins top honor.
Questions cowered from, plus there's "Am not, you are, waaa." SSDD.

Are you planning to watch?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:28 am
... I read the Foundation Trilogy, along with pretty much anything else by Asimov when I was a teen/young adult. Oddly, Foundation was not my favorite of his.
Are you planning to watch?
I would check it out, but I don't stream. It's not technophobia, just my way of limiting my screen time.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

That system does help keep you away from a lot of bad tv, but damn, there's good stuff - and way better than cable or antenna.
We dropped cable not long after I quit the news almost 2 years ago.
We have an antenna, but rarely use it and we actually watch less tv than ever before.
Streaming is a good thing, or for me anyway. It makes me think before I turn it on.
This year for sports we are using various Free Trial Periods. Youtube has a 2 week free sports and some 100+ channels package. I signed up this morning.

Give Apple a try. First week free and then only $5/month and you can quit anytime.
They have some good programs now.

Besides, you gotta watch Ted Lasso

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:23 pm
That system does help keep you away from a lot of bad tv, but damn, there's good stuff - and way better than cable or antenna.
We dropped cable not long after I quit the news almost 2 years ago.
We have an antenna, but rarely use it and we actually watch less tv than ever before.
Streaming is a good thing, or for me anyway. It makes me think before I turn it on.
This year for sports we are using various Free Trial Periods. Youtube has a 2 week free sports and some 100+ channels package. I signed up this morning.

Give Apple a try. First week free and then only $5/month and you can quit anytime.
They have some good programs now.

Besides, you gotta watch Ted Lasso
I know. If I had better self control . . .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

We've been streaming more lately, and have started to (almost) like it. This far north, satellites are lower on the horizon and reception behind or around trees is a bit sketchy. With the Dish subscription, we can get even live network (and sub network) shows online. We've also been following a version of the billy.p plan of trying a service to see if we want to keep it. But no, I still haven't picked up an interest in Ted Lasso.