Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Education thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This CA high school math teacher is being disciplined for dressing as an American Indian and chanting "SOH CAH TOA" in a misguided effort to teach trigonometry. SOH meaning sine equals opposite over hpotenuse, CAH is cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse, and TOA is tangent equals opposite over adjacent.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-film ... 58662.html

She should have consulted me. The way I learned and remembered that stuff was this phrase:
"Oscar had a hairy old ass" in which the trig functions, in order, of sine, cosine, and tangent
can easily be mastered. As so; sine equals "Oscar had" (opposite over hypotenuse)
cosine equals "a hairy" (adjacent over hypotenuse) and tangent equals "old ass" (opposite over adjacent).
And I've remembered this for over fifty years but hardly ever use it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

She definitely should have consulted you.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am
This CA high school math teacher is being disciplined for dressing as an American Indian and chanting "SOH CAH TOA" in a misguided effort to teach trigonometry. SOH meaning sine equals opposite over hypotenuse, CAH is cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse, and TOA is tangent equals opposite over adjacent.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-film ... 58662.html

She should have consulted me. The way I learned and remembered that stuff was this phrase:
"Oscar had a hairy old ass" in which the trig functions, in order, of sine, cosine, and tangent
can easily be mastered. As so; sine equals "Oscar had" (opposite over hypotenuse)
cosine equals "a hairy" (adjacent over hypotenuse) and tangent equals "old ass" (opposite over adjacent).
And I've remembered this for over fifty years but hardly ever use it.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:59 am
She definitely should have consulted you.
neoplacebo teaching trig mnemonics:

A few kids were repulsed by the unintentional smell, but no minorities were offended.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:lol: My biggest dilemma is whether to teach this before or after lunch. I'm leaning to first period, though.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:07 pm
:lol: My biggest dilemma is whether to teach this before or after lunch. I'm leaning to first period, though.
Pretty certain nobody here (Vrudy excepted) needs to hear about your first period.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Pretty certain nobody here ([Vrede too] excepted) needs to hear about your first period.

When will you mature beyond tween-level, bigot? Only complete idiots imagine that LGBTQ allies are insulted by implications of being gay or trans.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Pretty certain nobody here (Vrudy excepted) needs to hear about your first period.

Once again you fail English comprehension. How about this, Punchy? "Crack baby crack, show me you're real. Smack baby smack is all that you feel. Suck baby suck, give me your head before you start professing that you're knocking me dead." That's David Bowie's "Cracked Actor" song. Be precious and enjoy it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

The BRD Child hath spoken.

All Hail the Child.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

How about a nice cup of shut the fuck up? Fill your mouth with rain and anticipated asphalt paving and you'll be there.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm
How about a nice cup of shut the fuck up? Fill your mouth with rain and anticipated asphalt paving and you'll be there.
You first, ass-wipe.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

One and one and one is three; got to be good looking 'cause he's so hard to see.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:39 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm
You first, ass-wipe.
Ass wipes are critical necessities, I wouldn't want to live in a world without them or neoplacebo. Otoh, Useless things are exactly what one would expect, useless.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Hominy and I know what's important and what isn't.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:46 pm
Who's "Hominy"?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Who's "Hominy"?
I'm hominy. vrede too is hominy. You're not hominy. Hominy is a white version of the common vernacular blacks refer to as homey. It refers to folks who have similar sensibilities and life experiences. See, if you were hominy this would not have to be explained.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:35 am
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Who's "Hominy"?
I'm hominy. vrede too is hominy. You're not hominy. Hominy is a white version of the common vernacular blacks refer to as homey. It refers to folks who have similar sensibilities and life experiences. See, if you were hominy this would not have to be explained.
Well, Golly! Shazam! Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! And here I thought Hominy was just a little town in Oklahoma with a significantly lower life expectancy than the US average.

https://www.bestplaces.net/people/city/oklahoma/hominy

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:34 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Who's "Hominy"?
Well, Golly! Shazam! Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! And here I thought Hominy was just a little town in Oklahoma with a significantly lower life expectancy than the US average.

Nope. Hominy is a food produced from dried maize (corn) kernels that have been treated with an alkali. It's white.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Who's "Hominy"?
I think of it as a southern White homey, and apply it to former southerners as well as current ones. So, all of the regular posters here are our hominies, except for Useless.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:59 am
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:34 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Who's "Hominy"?

Nope. Hominy is a food produced from dried maize (corn) kernels that have been treated with an alkali. It's white.
So, you're really Gritty? I suspected as much.

Please sign your photo for me:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

California School District Disciplines Teacher For Telling Students Trump Is Still President

A California middle school teacher has been disciplined after telling students that Donald Trump is still president, COVID vaccines are frightening and Hunter Biden had sex with his niece and was doing deals in Ukraine and China.

None of that is true.

The “lesson,” given last month by a history teacher at Anacapa Middle School in Ventura, was recorded by one of her students.

“I trusted her to teach him the facts about history and she went off on this rant like a preacher on a pulpit,” said Sarah Silikula, whose 8th-grade son recorded the teacher.

The comments upset and confused her son, Slikula told CBS Los Angeles.

“He’s hurt. He’s scared. He doesn’t trust his parents now. He thinks we lied to him,” she said.

“He announced: ‘I’m never getting vaccinated. I’m never getting any more shots of any kind. Did you know Trump’s still president?’” she added.

School district officials investigated and said they did not condone the teacher’s comments. The unnamed teacher has been disciplined in accordance with a policy agreed to with the teachers’ union; however, officials offered no details.

The superintendent told Silikula that her son’s class was switched to another teacher, but his former teacher is still working at the school.

Silikula called the action inadequate.

“Whatever anybody’s political belief is, I respect. It’s their belief,” Silikula said. “Don’t impose it on my child who I trusted in your care.”
The teacher should be named, shamed and placed on immediate mandatory psychiatric leave.
1312. ETTD.