NFL Football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

One hitch,
O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:53 am
... If you had the ball on the opponent's 20 and time ran out, you get to keep playing. You either score (and win) or get stopped (and the game continues)....
In a tie game you would remove all incentive to score before the end of regulation since the offense knows its drive will continue. I think this will detract from the "end" of games. What's wrong with the college model?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Back to the overtime - we can let our imaginations run amok with unlikely possibilities, but why? Most games (90%ish) end within regulation. Of all overtime games since the ice age, in games with a coin toss, the toss winner has won the game 53% of the time. A statistical advantage, but maybe within tolerable range. But - in playoff games, the toss winner has won 10 out of 11. That doesn't seem it would be acceptable to anyone. With those odds, why continue playing at all? Just toss the damn coin and call it a win. If I ran the NFL, I'd just stop considering overtime to be separate from the rest of the game. No different rules. No tossing coins. Just keep playing until somebody scores. As such, I guess it would be a "sudden death" plan, and some luck would be involved, but it would be the luck of the game, not of a toss. If you had the ball on the opponents 20 and time ran out, you get to keep playing. You either score (and win) or get stopped (and the game continues). If the opponent scores to tie with 2 seconds left, the overtime starts with their kickoff to you, and you get the ball until you score (and win) or turn it over (and the game continues). The degree of luck involved is no different from from the luck during the rest of the game. In the unlikely event that the game goes "7 hours", both teams can be playing their second or third team players, but so what? Wouldn't they put in those players if the starter(s) got injured.
Yeah, I agree. The NFL should adopt the more equitable college overtime rules.

Why do they have the current system? I can only conjecture that the NFL figures it will sell more commercials on broadcast TV.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm
O Really wrote:
Back to the overtime ...
Yeah, I agree. The NFL should adopt the more equitable college overtime rules.
Ummm, O Really's Rx has zero similarity to the college overtime rules. Pay attention. Is it that you're clueless about college overtime rules or did you not show O Really the respect of reading his post?
Why do they have the current system? I can only conjecture that the NFL figures it will sell more commercials on broadcast TV.
Could be. How do you figure that the status quo sells more commercials than the college system?
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm
(signature: obsessed, out of context :crybaby: ignore failure)
Awww. :violin: , Useless.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Niners >>> Rams

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Cower, Useless, cower.
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Niners >>> Rams
Really? I had no idea that's who you're rooting for, no idea at all.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:01 pm
What's wrong with the college model?
It sucks.

It's fine for unpaid amateur athletes, paid big boys should continue playing the game.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:54 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:01 pm
What's wrong with the college model?
It sucks.

It's fine for unpaid amateur athletes, paid big boys should continue playing the game.
Things I like:
It is playing the game, just on a shortened field. Only the usually boring punts and kickoffs have been eliminated.
Equal number of possessions. No coin flip or current drive advantage.
A working system to prevent endless games.

I'm not a fan of going to the 2 point "shoot out" so early, but I figured that there's somehow less money in long games.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

BEAT LA!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:10 pm
Cower, Useless, cower.
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Niners >>> Rams
Really? I had no idea that's who you're rooting for, no idea at all.
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:44 pm
BEAT LA!
Good boy!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Here's an idea - have each team bring out their kickers. Put each kicker in a spot to kick 50 yarders. Give each kicker 10 balls and 2 minutes to play. Guy with most scores in the time limit wins. Rest of the poor tired out unable to play professional athletes get to head for the showers.

O Really
Admiral

Estimate is 63% or so of fans in SoFi will be Niners fans.
LA doesn't deserve two teams.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/sto ... l-playoffs

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Things I like:
It is playing the game, just on a shortened field. Only the usually boring punts and kickoffs have been eliminated.
Equal number of possessions. No coin flip or current drive advantage.
A working system to prevent endless games.

I'm not a fan of going to the 2 point "shoot out" so early, but I figured that there's somehow less money in long games.

That's not the game, that's modified. It's the playoffs, there shouldn't be shortcuts, exepting the clock and all sports clocks are arbitrary. Play until there's a true winner.

Baseball has instituted the man on second rule but not in the playoffs.

Would basketball, hockey , soccer playoff overtimes be better on a modified half court?

Basketball has five minute OT's, soccer has extra time and hockey does have sudden death due to the nature of the sport being fluid and generally low scoring.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:31 pm
That's not the game, that's modified. It's the playoffs, there shouldn't be shortcuts, excepting the clock and all sports clocks are arbitrary. Play until there's a true winner.

Baseball has instituted the man on second rule but not in the playoffs.

IMO the 2 sports aren't comparable due to the physicality and danger of football.

Would basketball, hockey, soccer playoff overtimes be better on a modified half court?

I don't think any of them would be noticeably sped up like football is.

Basketball has five minute OT's,

Shot clock prevents a five minute possession.

soccer has extra time

15" times 2, then a shootout. It's a very unsatisfying way to settle a game, but it does create a certain endpoint. I'd say that soccer OT is very much like current college football rules.

and hockey does have sudden death due to the nature of the sport being fluid and generally low scoring.

No endless games. :thumbup:
Anyhow, I'm not aware of serious proposals to do what you and O Really would like, while people have called for adopting some version of the college rules for decades. Isn't the realistic choice between the status quo and college rules? If so, which do you prefer?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Anyhow, I'm not aware of serious proposals to do what you and O Really would like, while people have called for adopting some version of the college rules for decades. Isn't the realistic choice between the status quo and college rules? If so, which do you prefer?

Right now the great debate is all over the internet and the talking heads of TV and radio are espousing ad nauseam almost as much as when the Saints were completely robbed of their superbowl and the Rams went.

The NFL paid lip service to that egregious officiating eff up with a one year coach's challenge and hoped it would go away.

Prediction is something similar with this but if I had to choose between those two shitty solutions I'd keep it as is.

O Really
Admiral

I'd keep it if those were my only shitty choices.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm
Is what you're saying that NFL football is so effed up that it's better that games be decided by a coin toss than by actual sports competition?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 pm
O Really wrote:
Is what you're saying that NFL football is so effed up that it's better that games be decided by a coin toss than by actual sports competition?
No, the choices given the Vrede's question, which GoCubsGo and I answered were ONLY (a) keep it like it is, or (b) go to the college rules. I've already expressed my opinion on possible improvement, but I find it highly unlikely the NFL will ask for or consider my wise suggestions.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 am
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 pm
O Really wrote:
No, the choices given the Vrede's question, which GoCubsGo and I answered were ONLY (a) keep it like it is, or (b) go to the college rules. I've already expressed my opinion on possible improvement, but I find it highly unlikely the NFL will ask for or consider my wise suggestions.
Well, like the mainstream media, the NFL isn't a charitable organization. They are in it for the $$$. So, if you could present a case that they would make more $$$ with your ideas, I expect they will entertain, if not implement them.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 am

Well, like the mainstream media, the NFL isn't a charitable organization. They are in it for the $$$. So, if you could present a case that they would make more $$$ with your ideas, I expect they will entertain, if not implement them.
Changing the overtime rules isn't going to make any difference in revenue or profit. They change rules all the time. No significant number of people are going to go to, or refuse to go to, a game because of the overtime rules. Their TV contracts and sale of merch will not be affected. There is no way to make a minor rule change more profitable for them. But if there was, and it was my idea, I probably wouldn't tell them. Bunch of sleazy money-grubbing critters doesn't need more revenue-or profit.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:22 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 am

Changing the overtime rules isn't going to make any difference in revenue or profit. They change rules all the time. No significant number of people are going to go to, or refuse to go to, a game because of the overtime rules. Their TV contracts and sale of merch will not be affected. There is no way to make a minor rule change more profitable for them. But if there was, and it was my idea, I probably wouldn't tell them. Bunch of sleazy money-grubbing critters doesn't need more revenue-or profit.
OK, so be that way, LOL...