Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by O Really »

Gotta be more to it than shown in the article. Suspension is pretty harsh for rudely crudely disrespecting another house on campus. On has to wonder if they would have been suspended for mocking the TriDelts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:57 am
( :crybaby: )
Connecticut, again. :roll:
Inequality
Black Cops Tried To Sound The Alarm On Their Bosses. Then Lauren Smith-Fields Died.
The Lauren Smith-Fields case is just the latest in a string of troubling incidents for the department.

The Connecticut police department under fire for insufficient investigations into the deaths of two Black women has a history of excessive use-of-force and discrimination complaints — some from its own officers. Now, a flurry of social media attention that started with the death of one of those women, Lauren Smith-Fields, has reignited calls for federal oversight of the department....

Connecticut is among the nation’s wealthiest states — and one of its most segregated.

In Bridgeport, the police force is 54% white compared to 20% of residents, only one detective is Black, and 80% of police leaders are white. None of the seven leadership positions within the police department are held by Black officers.

(long, ugly article continues)
One of America’s Wealthiest States Might Pass Up an Opportunity to Tackle Housing Segregation
Connecticut is one of the most segregated places in the country. Despite widespread protests over racial inequities, Gov. Ned Lamont and other leaders are resisting calls to address the state’s affordable housing crisis.

Shame on Connecticut and those who claim its superiority.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:12 am
Ulysses wrote:
Inequality
Black Cops Tried To Sound The Alarm On Their Bosses. Then Lauren Smith-Fields Died.
The Lauren Smith-Fields case is just the latest in a string of troubling incidents for the department.

The Connecticut police department under fire for insufficient investigations into the deaths of two Black women has a history of excessive use-of-force and discrimination complaints — some from its own officers. Now, a flurry of social media attention that started with the death of one of those women, Lauren Smith-Fields, has reignited calls for federal oversight of the department....

Connecticut is among the nation’s wealthiest states — and one of its most segregated.

In Bridgeport, the police force is 54% white compared to 20% of residents, only one detective is Black, and 80% of police leaders are white. None of the seven leadership positions within the police department are held by Black officers.

One of America’s Wealthiest States Might Pass Up an Opportunity to Tackle Housing Segregation
Connecticut is one of the most segregated places in the country. Despite widespread protests over racial inequities, Gov. Ned Lamont and other leaders are resisting calls to address the state’s affordable housing crisis.

People have a funny way of finding racism in other places, until the same shows in them.

Randy Newman's song, Rednecks says it better if you step back 50 years to when it was written.

A snippet

"Down here we're too ignorant to realize
That the North has set the n***** free
Yes he's free to be put in a cage
In Harlem in New York City
And he's free to be put in a cage
On the South Side of Chicago
And the West Side
In Hough in Cleveland
In East St. Louis
In Fillmore in San Francisco
In Roxbury in Boston
They're gatherin' 'em up from miles around"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I wonder who this is?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:30 pm
I wonder who this is?
Connecticut cop?
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:23 pm
viewtopic.php?p=156596#p156596
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:39 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:25 pm
WTF is the Beverly Hillbillies thing about? -0-?

Flight of Ideas gone amok again?
:D Could be that. Or, country folk are yet another group that Useless is bigoted against. I'm not sure where he sees the insult in a family that is collectively kind, generous, wise, supportive of each other, self sufficient even before finding oil and wealthy, but whatever floats his boat.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:39 am
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Inequality

People have a funny way of finding racism in other places, until the same shows in them.

Randy Newman's song, Rednecks says it better if you step back 50 years to when it was written.

A snippet

And the West Side
In Hough in Cleveland
In East St. Louis
In Roxbury in Boston
They were kinda slow to wave the anti-slaver flag. Here in Florida, not only did the Spanish, when not involved killing Native Americans, protected slaves escaping from the Carolinas and Georgia.
Florida even had an African American community over a hundred years before Connecticut abolished slavery.

https://www.travelawaits.com/2727363/hi ... rida/?amp=

"In the 1600s, an underground railroad of sorts ran south, and people escaping slavery in Georgia and the Carolinas came to the welcoming Spanish Colony of San Agustín."

"In 1738, the first free community of formerly enslaved people was established and named Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose or Fort Mose. This was St. Augustine’s northernmost defense line against British attacks. If a runaway slave agreed to convert to Catholicism and all the able-bodied male family members would join the militia, they were welcome. Today, it’s Fort Mose State Park."
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Uh-huh.

Well, Florida didn't become a US state until 1845, at least 40 years after Connecticut started the process of abolishing slavery within its borders. By 1848, slavery in CT was abolished. And that didn't take a bloody civil war.

When did Florida abolish slavery, again?

Can you say 1865? I knew you could.

Floridians had to be forced into it by the Civil War, which saw Connecticut on the side of anti-slavery.

You know, you cannot win this one. But I expect you'll be all butt-hurt and keep on trying. Might I suggest some Preparation H?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:11 pm
Ulysses wrote:
I wonder who this is?
Connecticut cop?
He's done this before. I knew he was rather proud of this photo of him taken at the last family reunion but I didn't think he'd post it more than once. I do like the hardened cat shit he's artfully arranged on top of his hat, though. Clever.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Yep Florida protected a community of runaway former slaves. A community that also served as freedom at the end of the southern route of the Underground Railroad and remained a station for runaways even after joining the Union required runaways to travel further south to Seminole territory for their freedom.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 am
170 years later, as posted above and you cower from, as usual, "Connecticut is one of the most segregated places in the country."

Yeah, you're a winner. Uh-huh.
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
I wonder who this is?
Connecticut cop?
He's done this before. I knew he was rather proud of this photo of him taken at the last family reunion but I didn't think he'd post it more than once. I do like the hardened cat shit he's artfully arranged on top of his hat, though. Clever.
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:39 am
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Inequality

A snippet

And the West Side
In Hough in Cleveland
In East St. Louis
In Roxbury in Boston
They were kinda slow to wave the anti-slaver flag. Here in Florida, not only did the Spanish, when not involved killing Native Americans, protected slaves escaping from the Carolinas and Georgia.
Florida even had an African American community over a hundred years before Connecticut abolished slavery.

https://www.travelawaits.com/2727363/hi ... rida/?amp=

"In the 1600s, an underground railroad of sorts ran south, and people escaping slavery in Georgia and the Carolinas came to the welcoming Spanish Colony of San Agustín."

"In 1738, the first free community of formerly enslaved people was established and named Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose or Fort Mose. This was St. Augustine’s northernmost defense line against British attacks. If a runaway slave agreed to convert to Catholicism and all the able-bodied male family members would join the militia, they were welcome. Today, it’s Fort Mose State Park."
https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/en ... sa-de-mose

"In 1687 eight men, two women, and a nursing child escaped from Carolina to Spanish St. Augustine and requested baptism into the "True Faith." Florida's governor sheltered the runaways out of Christian obligation and refused to return them when an agent from Carolina came to reclaim them.

The slaves' "telegraph" quickly reported this out-come, and soon other runaways began arriving in St. Augustine. Florida officials repeatedly solicited Spain for guidance, and finally, on November 7, 1693, Charles II issued a royal proclamation "giving liberty to all … the men as well as the women … so that by their example and by my liberality others will do the same."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:21 am
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 am
170 years later, as posted above and you cower from, as usual, "Connecticut is one of the most segregated places in the country."

Yeah, you're a winner. Uh-huh.
neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
I wonder who this is?
Connecticut cop?
:lol:
We did note during our student exchange with the Connecticutians that there were no black people at their school.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:08 am
Yep Florida protected a community of runaway former slaves. A community that also served as freedom at the end of the southern route of the Underground Railroad and remained a station for runaways even after joining the Union required runaways to travel further south to Seminole territory for their freedom.
Doesn't change the fact that slavery in Florida was legal for more than two decades after Connecticut got rid of it.

Funny how you consistently ignore this inconvenient fact.

And that's not even going into the REASON why Florida had to give up slavery. It was part of the side that LOST the Civil War.

You wanna talk about the rest of the South? Like South Carolina, which started the whole Civil War? Hmmmpf?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
I wonder who this is?
Connecticut cop?
I do believe Neo eats cat shit for breakfast.

That's the only logical explanation for his deranged posts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm
The Clotilda was found yesterday

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/cult ... n-alabama/
“110 young men, women, and children crowded into the schooner’s hold … 86 feet long with a 23-foot beam and a six-foot, 11-inch hold,“ :cry: plus crew. 25 people on a 150 foot ship and I would feel crowded.
https://api.nationalgeographic.com/dist ... ne-thought

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2021/12/ ... ought.html

"Increasingly detailed sonar scans have showed that the ship is more intact than previously thought, according to a new National Geographic story. “This is the most intact slave ship known to exist in the archeological record anywhere,” said marine archaeologist Jim Delgado."
Tonight:
Clotilda: Last American Slave Ship
New
10:00 PM EST, 2:00 AM EST ON NatGeo • TV-14 • CC

Archaeologists explore the sunken wreck of the slave ship Clotilda
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

“110 young men, women, and children crowded into the schooner’s hold … 86 feet long with a 23-foot beam and a six-foot, 11-inch hold,“ :cry: plus crew. 25 people on a 150 foot ship and I would feel crowded.

"Increasingly detailed sonar scans have showed that the ship is more intact than previously thought, according to a new National Geographic story. “This is the most intact slave ship known to exist in the archeological record anywhere,” said marine archaeologist Jim Delgado."
Tonight:
New

Set to record

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Tonight:
New

Set to record
Worth watching just to listen to the descendants voice their feelings.

Plus I learned how easy this new to me YouTube TV is to watch and record.

After years of the kid sharing all of my various media accounts, he has a YouTube TV account for his sports ?work?, so I'm back in the cable-type tv world again, but without a cable.