Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by O Really »

So Missouri has passed a law that state/local law enforcement are prohibited from helping feds enforce any law that Missouri considers "over-reaching" or whatever. Which from a practical standpoint means that Missouri police won't enforce any firearm law unless its a state law.

Is there nobody in Missouri who finds it ironic that their argument is that feds can't create law that "belongs" to the states, yet relies on the Second Amendment for that position. Yes, that would be the Second Amendment of the US Constitution, the foundation of the federal government itself.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:29 am
So Missouri has passed a law that state/local law enforcement are prohibited from helping feds enforce any law that Missouri considers "over-reaching" or whatever. Which from a practical standpoint means that Missouri police won't enforce any firearm law unless its a state law.

Is there nobody in Missouri who finds it ironic that their argument is that feds can't create law that "belongs" to the states, yet relies on the Second Amendment for that position. Yes, that would be the Second Amendment of the US Constitution, the foundation of the federal government itself.
Good point.

However I very much doubt most cons in any state will be able to see the flaw in their logic. They'll just say it's their right as Americans via the US Constitution to own as many firearms as they wish, and it's their right as inhabitants of state XYZ to ignore any federal restrictions on that right.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:44 am
Good point.

However I very much doubt most cons in any state will be able to see the flaw in their logic. They'll just say it's their right as Americans via the US Constitution to own as many firearms as they wish, and it's their right as inhabitants of state XYZ to ignore any federal restrictions on that right.
Assuming that O Really is describing Missouri's actions accurately, ignoring any federal restrictions is not exactly what Missouri is doing. Leaving aside the philosophical contradiction that O Really IDs, Missouri is not saying that it will violate federal law. Rather, it's saying that it won't help the feds enforce their own laws. This is exactly what CA and other places do with sanctuary laws - telling the feds to paddle their own damn canoe. I don't like the particular battle that Missouri has chosen, but I support the principle. Why should a state or locality feel obligated to devote resources to enforcing a law that it had no hand in writing or enacting?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:23 am
Why should a state or locality feel obligated to devote resources to enforcing a law that it had no hand in writing or enacting?
To be accurate, I'm paraphrasing information from a "60 Minutes" feature last night, which I'd guess is at least mostly right, but who knows. It was apparent in the interviews that "60 Minutes" conducted that even the Missouri lawmakers don't really know what it's supposed to do.

As to your question, I'd say "because they're a part of the US, no matter whether they call themselves Idaho or Kokomo, and because they sent idiots from their villages to represent them and their interests in the legislative body that passed those laws?"

Immigration is a little different in that it is solely the feds job to enforce immigration and states are prohibited from enacting their own immigration law. So the cooperation and collaboration with, for example, cities detaining an immigrated guy longer than his infraction just to give time for the feds to pick him up was/is really voluntary. On the other hand, turning him loose early just to dodge the feds might be a violation.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:29 am
So Missouri has passed a law that state/local law enforcement are prohibited from helping feds enforce any law that Missouri considers "over-reaching" or whatever. Which from a practical standpoint means that Missouri police won't enforce any firearm law unless its a state law....
O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:21 am
To be accurate, I'm paraphrasing information from a "60 Minutes" feature last night, which I'd guess is at least mostly right, but who knows. It was apparent in the interviews that "60 Minutes" conducted that even the Missouri lawmakers don't really know what it's supposed to do....
If it's the latter, I withdraw my comment since the Missouri law can't yet be compared to anything.

If it's the former, I don't see the difference with sanctuary law. Either a state goes out of its way to help enforce exclusively federal law or it doesn't.

Of course, the feds can resolve this. They can mandate that states help enforce gun, immigration or other laws. If doing so is okayed by the courts then there's no longer any issue.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Flights delayed after 'accidental discharge' of gun prompts panic at Atlanta airport

A passenger's gun went off in an "accidental discharge" at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport's main security checkpoint Saturday afternoon, causing panic at the busy airport and prompting an investigation.

... A transportation safety officer discovered a "prohibited item" while X-raying a passenger's bag at the main checkpoint and began a bag search, the TSA said in a statement. As the officer opened the compartment containing the prohibited item, the passenger "lunged into the bag and grabbed a firearm, at which point it discharged," the TSA said.

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport officials called the incident an "accidental discharge."

The passenger then ran out of the airport exit with the firearm, according to the TSA. Airport officials said there was no active shooter at the airport. Officials identified the suspect as 42-year-old Kenny Wells and said they are "actively pursuing this individual" at a press conference Saturday....
Update: Gosar, Gaetz and MadCaw have all offered Kenny Wells internships.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Are we beginning to see more accountability for ammosexual parents?
Parents charged after 13-year-old shoots 5-year-old brother to death

The parents of a 5-year-old boy who was shot and killed by his older brother last month are now facing charges, CBS Pittsburgh reports. Thomas Wolfe and Sara Gerwig have been charged with endangering the welfare of children.

Police said their 13-year-old son got his hands on the couple's handgun at the family's home in the suburb of Penn Hills last month and shot his younger brother in the face.

Court documents say Wolfe admitted he left the gun on top of a gun safe and said the gun was always loaded with a live round in the chamber....

Police said they found multiple safes and trigger locks in the home, but none were being used....
:angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

My hood:

Edneyville 3-year-old girl who accidentally shot herself on Christmas dies

Earlier article:
https://www.blueridgenow.com/story/news ... 033881002/
... A recording of the 911 call reveals that 3-year-old Aylee was playing with her new bicycle when she picked up a 9 mm pistol from the backseat of a truck and accidentally shot herself.

“We had a visitor visiting for Christmas, and he left a gun in the car and we didn't know it,” said the caller whose name was redacted. “She picked it up and it went off.”
Merry Xmas. :(

No mention of charges yet, but in Henderson County I wouldn't count on there being any. :x
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Police: Student shot at Maryland school; suspect in custody

Rockville - My childhood home, but I did not attend Magruder High School.

:( I don't remember any school shootings from my youth, nor did I ever see a gun outside of summer camp.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Family asks for justice for girl killed by robbery victim

The family of a 9-year-old girl who died after she was shot by a man who had opened fire when he was robbed at an ATM said Wednesday the robbery victim wasn’t justified in his actions as he wasn’t in danger when he fired uncontrollably at their vehicle, striking the girl in the head.

“This was not self-defense,” said Armando Alvarez, the father of Arlene Alvarez, who died in a hospital on Tuesday, hours after she had been shot the night before.

During a news conference Wednesday, Arlene’s family and friends remembered her as an old soul who loved her two younger siblings and who enjoyed riding her scooter and making TikTok videos. Her mother, Gwen Alvarez, called Arlene, who was in fourth grade, her best friend and her queen.

“It just hurts me so much. It’s going to hurt me forever. I just want justice for my baby,” said a tearful and emotional Gwen Alvarez....

Police allege that after Tony Earls was robbed at gunpoint at the Chase Bank ATM in southeast Houston at around 9:45 p.m. on Monday, he got out of his vehicle and opened fire at the suspect....

Police say Earls fired at the truck thinking the robbery suspect had possibly climbed into it....

Rick Ramos, an attorney for the Alvarez family, said once the robber ran away and had his back toward Earls, he was no longer a threat and Earls became the aggressor as he fired indiscriminately.

Earls has been charged with aggravated assault, serious bodily injury, in the girl’s death and he remained jailed Wednesday on a $100,000 bond. Earls’ attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment. Prosecutors says charges in the case could be upgraded. Ärlene's family said they think Earls should not be released on bond....

Police were still searching for the robbery suspect. They have not determined if that man returned fire or was shot.

Arlene was the second 9-year-old girl to be shot in Houston within a week. Ashanti Grant remains hospitalized after being shot in the head during a road rage attack Feb. 8. Several children have been shot this year in the Houston area, including an 11-year-old boy was killed on Feb. 3 as he walked from his apartment to his family’s car to get his coat....

Arlene’s shooting death comes five months after a new law allowing Texans to carry handguns without first getting a background check and training took effect.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said Wednesday that in the wake of Arlene’s death, there needs to be a review of the new law and what kind of impact it might be having on the increase in violence.

Abigail Solis, Arlene’s aunt, said she questioned why guns were “landing in the hands of irresponsible people” without proper training.

Solis said if she had been in a similar situation, she wouldn’t have thought, “Oh, let me grab my gun and just start shooting. I’m not going to start doing that... Where do you think your bullets are going?”
:(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:22 am
Family asks for justice for girl killed by robbery victim

The family of a 9-year-old girl who died after she was shot by a man who had opened fire when he was robbed at an ATM said Wednesday the robbery victim wasn’t justified in his actions as he wasn’t in danger when he fired uncontrollably at their vehicle, striking the girl in the head.

“This was not self-defense,” said Armando Alvarez, the father of Arlene Alvarez, who died in a hospital on Tuesday, hours after she had been shot the night before.

During a news conference Wednesday, Arlene’s family and friends remembered her as an old soul who loved her two younger siblings and who enjoyed riding her scooter and making TikTok videos. Her mother, Gwen Alvarez, called Arlene, who was in fourth grade, her best friend and her queen.

“It just hurts me so much. It’s going to hurt me forever. I just want justice for my baby,” said a tearful and emotional Gwen Alvarez....

Police allege that after Tony Earls was robbed at gunpoint at the Chase Bank ATM in southeast Houston at around 9:45 p.m. on Monday, he got out of his vehicle and opened fire at the suspect....

Police say Earls fired at the truck thinking the robbery suspect had possibly climbed into it....

Rick Ramos, an attorney for the Alvarez family, said once the robber ran away and had his back toward Earls, he was no longer a threat and Earls became the aggressor as he fired indiscriminately.

Earls has been charged with aggravated assault, serious bodily injury, in the girl’s death and he remained jailed Wednesday on a $100,000 bond. Earls’ attorney did not immediately return a call seeking comment. Prosecutors says charges in the case could be upgraded. Ärlene's family said they think Earls should not be released on bond....

Police were still searching for the robbery suspect. They have not determined if that man returned fire or was shot.

Arlene was the second 9-year-old girl to be shot in Houston within a week. Ashanti Grant remains hospitalized after being shot in the head during a road rage attack Feb. 8. Several children have been shot this year in the Houston area, including an 11-year-old boy was killed on Feb. 3 as he walked from his apartment to his family’s car to get his coat....

Arlene’s shooting death comes five months after a new law allowing Texans to carry handguns without first getting a background check and training took effect.

Mayor Sylvester Turner said Wednesday that in the wake of Arlene’s death, there needs to be a review of the new law and what kind of impact it might be having on the increase in violence.

Abigail Solis, Arlene’s aunt, said she questioned why guns were “landing in the hands of irresponsible people” without proper training.

Solis said if she had been in a similar situation, she wouldn’t have thought, “Oh, let me grab my gun and just start shooting. I’m not going to start doing that... Where do you think your bullets are going?”
:(
Let the carry guns

What utter bullshit

"Earls fired at the truck thinking the robbery suspect had possibly climbed into it...."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

"Rick Ramos, an attorney for the Alvarez family, said once the robber ran away and had his back toward Earls, he was no longer a threat and Earls became the aggressor as he fired indiscriminately."

Earls probably wouldn't have known that since skeered cops frequently shoot people in the back while they're running away.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

The difference being that cops are tasked with preserving law and order. Private citizens, not so much.

Sounds like an innocent girl was murdered by someone over-reacting to a robbery. How much is a human life worth? More than the maximum $200 most ATM will disgorge?

It's all very sad. I hope they catch the robber and make him an accessory to the murder. But when a private citizen fires a gun, they damn well should know what their target is. I don't think it's right when cops get a free pass on such errors, but it's not a perfect world either.

Perhaps the 2nd Amendment needs modification?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:00 am
The difference being that cops are tasked with preserving law and order. Private citizens, not so much.

True, but preserving law and order doesn't include shooting (sometimes unarmed) people in the back. But they get out of charges a lot of the time because of the "limited immunity" that gives them privileges to make bad decisions, oppses, etc. with relative impunity.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:00 am

Perhaps the 2nd Amendment needs modification?
Of course it does, but it's not going to happen.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:25 pm
True, but preserving law and order doesn't include shooting (sometimes unarmed) people in the back. But they get out of charges a lot of the time because of the "limited immunity" that gives them privileges to make bad decisions, oppses, etc. with relative impunity.
Along with that cops are in some cases allowed (encouraged) to shoot at fleeing suspected felons. Even in trigger-happy SYG states like Texas private citizens are not allowed to fire once they are no longer being threatened. So, legally there's a difference between the two groups, even if they make the same fuck-ups irl.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sure legally there's a difference, which is why cops can get by with it. But that doesn't make it right. How can anybody justify killing a guy for running away from what at worst would be a misdemeanor if indeed he would be convicted?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:49 pm
Sure legally there's a difference, which is why cops can get by with it. But that doesn't make it right. How can anybody justify killing a guy for running away from what at worst would be a misdemeanor if indeed he would be convicted?
It happens and they get away with it :ateeth: , but I don't think that cops are legally allowed to shoot at fleeing suspected misdemeanor offenders.

I don't think it's "right" for even some fleeing suspected felony offenders, but it doesn't ruin my day if an actual child molester gets gunned down.
1312. ETTD.