Baseball

O Really
Admiral

Re: Baseball

Unread post by O Really »

I don't follow baseball very closely, but seems to me the derogatory comments tossed at the A's (by sports writers and such) was because they were trading off star players to save a few bucks. If I were an A's fan, I wouldn't be any happier with them than I actually am with the Seahawks for trading off Wilson et. al. If I were a fan, I'd rather have my team take the Rams attitude - spend it, win it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:18 pm
I don't follow baseball very closely, but seems to me the derogatory comments tossed at the A's (by sports writers and such) was because they were trading off star players to save a few bucks. If I were an A's fan, I wouldn't be any happier with them than I actually am with the Seahawks for trading off Wilson et. al. If I were a fan, I'd rather have my team take the Rams attitude - spend it, win it.
Well, not to nit-pick, but the Seahawks and Rams are football teams. Sure both trade players, all teams do, but they are in a quite different sport than the A's or the SF Giants.

The plus here is that likely there will be plenty of lower cost tickets to A's games for a while.

And, as I indicated, there's always the Giants, who seem to be on a bit of a roll.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Well, not to nit-pick, but the Seahawks and Rams are football teams. Sure both trade players, all teams do, but they are in a quite different sport than the A's or the SF Giants.

Makes no difference the sport. All fans want their team to win, and most are likely unhappy when their team makes a trade or other move that weakens the team or increases the chances of their being cellar-dwellers. Or moves away.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of threats to move...A's may be toothless.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/baseball- ... artnerfeed

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:17 am
Actually might be good news. I had thought they were proposing to build a new ballpark at the bayside of Oakland, so they could quit the Coliseum. I thought that was a done deal, but now that Vegas has nixed it, perhaps it will happen in Oakland sooner than later. Been a while since I viewed the Oakland harbor site plans, but it did look pretty good. Of course all this requires $$$, which might account for the exodus of players seeking higher renumeration.

And, there's always the Giants, right? Just means I might have to change my avatar on certain sites.

PS-I wouldn't necessarily trust the NY Post on any news, especially not for a west coast ball team. Just sayin'.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:17 am

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/baseball- ... artnerfeed
Toothless is an understatement. They could be homeless. The new Oakland stadium ain't happening soon either.

Doesn't sound like they're gonna stay in Oakland.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Here's an extensive look at the A's 2022 season plans:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Well, again, I don't buy the NY Post's accounts for much of anything.

Here's the A's web page about the Howard Terminal (Oakland) proposal. I do recall reading about some pushback from Union Pacific and Crapitol Corridor train lines about the location. Something to do with fears that train service will be blocked. Hey, just reroute the tracks: upward, downward, or sideways. Easy peasy. :-)

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/oakland-ballpark

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:22 am

Yeah, an hour and ten minutes for a cellar dweller team no one cares about.

Notgonnahappen.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Someone's Google is broken again.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:30 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:22 am

Yeah, an hour and ten minutes for a cellar dweller team no one cares about.

Notgonnahappen.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Hey, cruising around the A's site, I found a job opportunity for neo:

Stomping Ground Crew - Oakland Athletics (Oakland · CA)
Stomping Ground Crew
Department: Stadium Operations
Reports to: Senior Manager, Guest Services
Job Classification: Nonexempt
City/State: Oakland, CA

Description:
The Oakland Athletics are currently seeking friendly, outgoing, organized, and motivated candidates to serve as Stomping Ground Crew members to work our Stomping Ground play area on game days. These part-time hourly positions are responsible for providing customer service and assistance for A’s guests.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Maybe Google is fine but there's operator bias.

Here's some information that's actually current and not provided by the A's press office.

More lawsuits challenge new Oakland A’s ballpark
by Kevin Reichard on April 7, 2022 in Major-League Baseball, News

Two more lawsuits are challenging the waterfront location for a new Oakland A’s ballpark, arguing a 3,500-page Environment Impact Report (EIR) did not adequately address concerns about the project.

The legal strategy is the same as presented by a coalition of shipping interests in their lawsuit filed earlier this week challenging the Howard Terminal waterfront location: that the city of Oakland did not follow state guidelines to identify and mitigate all potential adverse effects of the $12-billion Howard Terminal development, one of the largest non-transit developments in state history.

Filing suits: Union Pacific Railroad and the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority, both on the grounds that the EIR minimizes the impact on rail lines near the project. Union Pacific Railroad runs two lines near the proposed development both for freight service and Amtrak service, while Capitol Corridor runs between 22 and 30 passenger trains on those same lines. In addition, Union Pacific Railroad anticipates the need for additional service in the future along a third track. Because the EIR studied only the two pedestrian crossings close to the project, as opposed to all eight crossings in the area.

Oakland A’s Waterfront Stadium Threatened by Lawsuits, Team Says
Port businesses sue to rescind approval of $12 billion project
Litigation adds ‘a lot of risk,’ A’s President Dave Kaval says
April 4, 2022, 9:13 PM CDTUpdated onApril 5, 2022, 12:43 AM CDT

A $12 billion plan by the Oakland Athletics to build a stadium, luxury condominiums, office and retail space on the city’s waterfront is threatened by lawsuits months before the team expects to win final approvals to move forward.

Groups representing truckers, ocean carriers, terminal operators, longshore workers and other port-related businesses, many of them union-organized, argue in one of the suits that the city shouldn’t have approved the environmental impact report for the Oakland Waterfront Ballpark District Project.

There's more for people that care to look.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 pm
Unlike (GoCubsGo), we got two major league baseball teams within public transit distance (10 min to 30 min)...
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 pm
Ever hear of the White Sox dipshit?

The way you embarrass yourself is epic.
:laughing-rolling:

Then, Useless runs away from his huge flub without so much as an 'Opps'. Pussy. Useless is the Oakland A's of competent discussion.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks for the trade, A's.

PADRES 3, D-BACKS 0

PHOENIX – San Diego newcomer Sean Manaea was brilliant on the mound through seven no-hit innings, Jurickson Profar hit a two-run homer and the Padres beat Arizona. Manaea handed a no-hitter off to the Padres bullpen a night after Yu Darvish did the same.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:19 am
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 pm
Unlike (GoCubsGo), we got two major league baseball teams within public transit distance (10 min to 30 min)...
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 pm
Ever hear of the White Sox dipshit?

The way you embarrass yourself is epic.
:laughing-rolling:

Then, Useless runs away from his huge flub without so much as an 'Opps'. Pussy. Useless is the Oakland A's of competent discussion.
C'mon, did you really expect anything else?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »