Golf (yeah, golf)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Golf (yeah, golf)

Unread post by Vrede too »

Before 1990 it was a white robe. Then, it switched to a "wife beater" shirt until 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusta_N ... Membership
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Idk, that seems like fairly honest and accurate reporting of where things stand to me, and was probably already known to everyone that watched. It's not like the writer is blaming Tiger for trying. Plus, he'll always have that -1 first round.
O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:45 am
BTW, not golf, but related to comebacks - slightly less than a month after Tony Hawk broke his femur (not cracked, but clean broken all the way through and displaced), he is walking almost normally with a cane, and actually took a gentle roll on a skateboard.
A femur is a difficult, devastating and potentially life threatening bone to break, but it's relatively straightforward to fix. Tiger's foot was shattered.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:19 pm

A femur is a difficult, devastating and potentially life threatening bone to break, but it's relatively straightforward to fix. Tiger's foot was shattered.
Oh, I wasn't comparing injury or time of recovery - just mentioning another happi-ish ending injury story.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

That a player in 19th place can dominate news coverage of the sport speaks volumes about how boring golf really is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Why do you have this twisted, egotistical compulsion to post about things that don't interest you? It's childish.
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:22 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Why do you have this twisted, egotistical compulsion to post about things that don't interest you? It's childish.
There are undoubtedly a lot of people in the world that agree with him, but most of those don't bother to go to a thread clearly named "Golf, yeah golf" just to post about their boredom. Must be a form of ignoring golf.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:23 pm
There are undoubtedly a lot of people in the world that agree with him, but most of those don't bother to go to a thread clearly named "Golf, yeah golf" just to post about their boredom. Must be a form of ignoring golf.
:lol:

Scottie Scheffler held on to win by 3 over Rory McIlroy, posting Tigerish -1s on both Sat and Sun. Congrats.
McIlroy shot a brilliant -8 today, the best round by anyone in the Masters.
1st day leader Sungjae Im finished in a tie for 8th. Opps.
Tiger scored +6 again, finishing in 47th. A guess is that his leg can't handle 4 or even 3 days of walking a hilly course. :(
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Scottie Scheffler held on to win by 3 over Rory McIlroy, posting Tigerish -1s on both Sat and Sun. Congrats.
I think Anthony Rizzo is moonlighting.

ImageImage
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Here's the ultimate in golf:

Minigolf is a sport enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities and the aim of the game is to hit a ball from a tee-off point into a hole in as few shots as possible. Minigolf courses include a variety of interesting and tricky obstacles for players to Putt through, over, under and around!

There are four types of tournament Minigolf courses recognised by the WMF:

Miniaturegolf
Feltgolf
Concrete
Minigolf Open Standard (MOS).
https://gov.minigolfsport.com/about-minigolf/basics

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:49 am
( :yawn: )
I appreciate hobby discussions, Useless, but we all know that you haven't played minigolf in decades. So, grow up.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Bummer 🐹

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:34 am
Bummer 🐹
:ateeth: Need. More. Feral. Cats.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Some pro golfers are closet MAGA's. 😡🤮

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:41 am
Some pro golfers are closet MAGA's. 😡🤮
Biden's visiting SA soon :puke-left: . Some Dems are griefing him for it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

News flash - Saudis are not and have never been Americans with American culture. Maybe nobody in the US government has killed off a journalist yet, but I'm pretty sure Trump was close. And there's probably a lot of Americans who agree with the Saudis on treatment of gay people. I don't think the US is in a position to get up on a moral high horse over who plays in their golf tour. I'm pretty sure that the people who are trashing Dustin Johnson, nearing the end of his best years, for accepting $200mil and putting himself in a position of financial comfort forever - whether he ever wins another PGA tournament or not - are not facing that choice for themselves. It's easy to turn down $200 mil that you weren't going to get ever anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am
News flash - Saudis are not and have never been Americans with American culture. Maybe nobody in the US government has killed off a journalist yet, but I'm pretty sure Trump was close. And there's probably a lot of Americans who agree with the Saudis on treatment of gay people. I don't think the US is in a position to get up on a moral high horse over who plays in their golf tour. I'm pretty sure that the people who are trashing Dustin Johnson, nearing the end of his best years, for accepting $200mil and putting himself in a position of financial comfort forever - whether he ever wins another PGA tournament or not - are not facing that choice for themselves. It's easy to turn down $200 mil that you weren't going to get ever anyway.
I'm glad that people are griefing collaborators like Johnson, etc as an indirect slap at the Saudis. However, the US is still enabling Saudi genocide in Yemen, thus making every taxpayer complicit. That's more difficult to face, especially with a Dem in the WH, than going after an easy target like a golfer in order to feel righteous.

Saudi-led airstrikes in Yemen have been called war crimes, many relied on US support

Aside: Pretty cool that Stars and Stripes is reprinting this Washington Post expose.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's a very gray world, with very few things in absolute black/white. How much personal effect should one person accept in order not to make any difference in something they oppose?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

This may be my first ever Golf comment.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2022/6/9 ... nspirators

PGA Bans Phil Mickelson and his 16 Trumpy Co-Conspirators

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:59 pm

Wow, the lines in the sand traps have been drawn. Golf(ers) has 100% politicized themselves.

Sponsorships and endorsements will now dry up for these asshats. Wonder how long the murderous Saudis will pay the bills if it doesn't hit big. Can't imagine any network (less Fox?) broadcasting their events much less paying big bucks for them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:59 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:38 pm
Wow, the lines in the sand traps have been drawn....
Good one, clever. Next:
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancée wants LIV golfers banned from majors for 'supporting murderers'

... Hatice Cengiz made the statement to USA Today on Saturday.

'There are consequences for supporting murderers'
If they still carry on and play as if everything is normal, then they should be banned from playing in the world’s major tournaments,’’ Cengiz said via email. “This will show that there are consequences for supporting murderers, and it will show the murderers that they are not escaping justice.’’
... LIV Golf criticized for 'sportswashing' Saudi human rights atrocities

LIV Golf made its debut this weekend in London. The golf league backed by more than $2 billion in Saudi government money and fronted by former PGA Tour pro Greg Norman is facing accusations of "sportswashing" — an effort to dilute the human rights abuses committed by the Saudi regime through sports.
New term to me.
... The PGA Tour ban doesn't prohibit players from participating in non-PGA sanctioned majors, including this week's U.S. Open, which is run by the USGA. The USGA announced last week that it will not ban LIV players from "the 2022 U.S. Open," meaning that Mickelson, Johnson and others are welcome to play at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts. The statement did not address future U.S. Opens.

Cengiz hopes that this is their last U.S. Open and that their days playing in golf's most prestigious tournaments are numbered.
Jamal Khashoggi presente!
1312. ETTD.