A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:56 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:51 pm
It's also over a year until it's implemented, six months after the election. :think:

Plenty of time for the pols to back off or be bought off.
We'll see.

The really strange thing is that the whole ado is over a nonexistent issue. No one is trying to turn anyone gay or trans. Otoh, if the law is applied literally then no reference or implication can be made as to Mickey and Minnie, any prince and princess or any traditional family as being hetero. That's sexuality, too. Lotta very longstanding books and lesson plans will be challenged.
The RWNJ'S are boycotting and picketing Disney for supporting pedophilia and that's the strange thing? :lol:
RWNJs being strange is strange to you? :P It pretty much defines them.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I dunno.

All this back and forth Florida/DeSantis nonsense makes me a bit Disney dizzy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:35 pm
(post: childish gibberish)
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Aside from this bigoted retaliation I might have supported in principle the idea of removing favored status from Disney or any other corp.

If I've heard right this move means that Disney will escape $1B in debt that will now be foisted off on state and local govt. Opps.
As long as it's within the Disney organization (and Reedy Creek), the billion is just monopoly money moving from Mickey to Minnie. But if they dissolve Reedy Creek, it becomes a real debt and the counties where Disney is will be liable. Plus, Disney runs its own utilities, fire/rescue, infrastructure, etc., all of which the counties would have to pick up.

It's been an arrangement that's been good for all parties for 50 years - and isn't the only such arrangement. Trump-loving The Villages is one also.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Perhaps DeSantis needs a one way ticket to the Magic Kingdom?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:57 pm

It's been an arrangement that's been good for all parties for 50 years - and isn't the only such arrangement. Trump-loving The Villages is one also.
I haven't read where their arrangement was dissolved also as it may be political suicide for the Governor.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Why is Florida such a den of iniquity?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:31 pm
O Really wrote:

I haven't read where their arrangement was dissolved also as it may be political suicide for the Governor.
Yeah ok, figures.

Pre 1968 only....

The Villages District Office issues statement indicating it’s not part of DeSantis’ aim at Disney
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:31 pm
O Really wrote:

But you must never forget that these people are not rational. All they see is that they "won" the (non existent) battle to claim victory for a law that's in search of a crime. They don't see the economic aspect of it and they don't see the ripple effects that will come from it. They also don't see that what they're protesting is the exact same thing they themselves whine about not being able to do (free speech) as they do it from many bullhorns and dog whistles. And of course they don't see the hypocrisy in their position either. They're just crazy cult zombies who will support whatever makes them the best victim.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Never heard of "The Villages" before, but Googled it and found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villa ... _ownership

Approximately 78 percent of Sumter County voters cast ballots in the presidential election of 2016, with Donald Trump receiving about 70 percent of the vote.[33] The Villages has been a popular election stop and platform for Republican political figures such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, former presidential and vice presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin,[34] former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee,[35] 2016 GOP presidential primary candidates Marco Rubio and Ben Carson, former presidential candidate Rick Santorum, and talk show hosts/authors Glenn Beck[36] and Brian Kilmeade. In the lead-up to the 2016 presidential election, GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence visited to campaign for his running mate, Donald Trump.[37]

In the 2020 United States presidential election in Sumter county, Trump received 62,761 votes or 68% of the total, while Joe Biden received 29,341, or 32% of the vote.[38]
Now, I've been to Kissimmee... about 55 miles south of The Villages. We have something similar to the The Villages up here by the name of Rossmoor. It's maybe one of the first gated senior living communities in the nation, been around since the mid-60's. I remember it being the butt of jokes in high school. Now I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad, LOL. (just kidding). I think there's an earlier version down by O Really.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:47 pm

Approximately 78 percent of Sumter County voters cast ballots in the presidential election of 2016, with Donald Trump receiving about 70 percent of the vote.[33] The Villages has been a popular election stop and platform for Republican political figures such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, former presidential and vice presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin,[34] former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee,[35] 2016 GOP presidential primary candidates Marco Rubio and Ben Carson, former presidential candidate Rick Santorum, and talk show hosts/authors Glenn Beck[36] and Brian Kilmeade. In the lead-up to the 2016 presidential election, GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence visited to campaign for his running mate, Donald Trump.[37]

In the 2020 United States presidential election in Sumter county, Trump received 62,761 votes or 68% of the total, while Joe Biden received 29,341, or 32% of the vote.[38]
Now, I've been to Kissimmee... about 55 miles south of The Villages. We have something similar to the The Villages up here by the name of Rossmoor. It's maybe one of the first gated senior living communities in the nation, been around since the mid-60's. I remember it being the butt of jokes in high school. Now I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad, LOL. (just kidding). I think there's an earlier version down by O Really.
I guess that's what happens when you don't read other people's posts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:47 pm

As is common with dementia patients, they often see without seeing. In this case useless has posted 4 times in the past within a post or two before and after no less than 4 prior discussions of the Villages,
He said, "Never heard of "The Villages" before, but Googled it" and somehow found the need to educate all of us who know about the Villages with his new found(?) Wikiknowledge.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... ey-tax-cut

Ron be smart.

"Up in their corporate suite, executives of the Walt Disney Co. must be laughing themselves silly.

They could only have watched in amazement as Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, pursuing his vendetta against the company for its opposition to his so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law, signed a measure that awards the company a tax break estimated at $164 million a year and stuck voters in the Orlando area with the cost.

The estimate comes from Scott Randolph, the tax collector of Orange County, Fla., where most of Walt Disney World and its associated theme parks and resorts are located. It’s the consequence of the law DeSantis signed that will dissolve the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special district Florida created in 1967."

O Really
Admiral

This could be in several of our threads, but it is about "Florida Man"
Geezer shoots dog walker and chases him down in a golf cart.
Welcome to Desantistan.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/retirees-gun ... 31623.html

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:42 am
Welcome to Desantistan.

The ultimate "Get off My Lawn" wasn't even his lawn.

Irony?

Expect more of these.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:13 am
O Really wrote:
Welcome to Desantistan.

Irony?

Expect more of these.
It will turn somehow into a "skeered" defence. Is it too idealistic/pollyannaish to think that maybe even in Florida he won't avoid charges?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:25 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Welcome to Desantistan.

Irony?

Expect more of these.
It will turn somehow into a "skeered" defence. Is it too idealistic/pollyannaish to think that maybe even in Florida he won't avoid charges?
Coin toss. He's been charged but will he go to trial?

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:28 am

Coin toss. He's been charged but will he go to trial?
In any rational universe, his lawyer would plead him to something fairly mild - aggravated assault, e.g. - and he'd lose his gun, maybe have to pay reparations, but not go to jail. Because in that rational universe, he's really got no defence at all. But who knows - it's Florida. Maybe his chances at trial might be better and he walks. On the other hand, it's also Palm Beach County, where there's a least some chance of getting rational people on the jury.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Should be attempted murder and a sentence long enough that the 74 year old ammosexual dies in prison.
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Welcome to Desantistan.

Irony?

Expect more of these.
Sounds like it wasn't even failure to pick up poop:
... Levine, driving a golf cart, pulled up to Merritt, and confronted him about walking his dog too close to the golf course, according to the arrest report....
:roll:
1312. ETTD.