Golf (yeah, golf)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Golf (yeah, golf)

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:45 pm
The more these guys speak the more contempt I feel for them.

More LIV golfers destroy their reputations as they sports wash for MBS
With all the money the Saudis have and that the whole point is sportswashing, you would think they'd invest in PR coaching or at least emailing out talking points.
O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:08 pm
I think athletes have as much right to an opinion as anybody else, and it's often good if they use their notoriety to widen their effect. But do these reporters ask a player at a PGA event for comments on world events or whether they think Trump's immigration policy is cruel? Do they ask players at a PGA event to criticise the tour sponsors? Does the PGA or other sports league expect their athletes to use the mandatory media time to espouse world peace or decry the Supreme Court's abortion decisions? Seriously, what do they expect these guys to say? "The sponsor of this event, who is paying me millions to be here, is an international criminal who eats more babies than Hillary?"
I think the reporters' questions reflect the success of the anti-Saudi movement, and I'm okay with that. It's even a topic for us when we rarely post about golf otherwise. Idk about TRE45ON's immigration policy, but players have gotten griefed for playing with him or on his courses, and the pro orgs had mostly withdrawn their tourneys even before LIV.

If you were a golf reporter wouldn't you be desperate to write about anything other than the dogleg and green on hole 13, and rehashed player platitudes, anything at all? ;)

See my words above about PR, or the players could just leave it at the honesty of: "The sponsor of this event is paying me millions to be here." The reason they respond is because they're feeling the public pressure and/or guilt, and I'm okay with that.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When you can make people believe (sheer batshittery), you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:42 pm

If you were a golf reporter wouldn't you be desperate to write about anything other than the dogleg and green on hole 13, and rehashed player platitudes, anything at all? ;)
I might like to ask how in hell did Ricky Fowler get to go out with, much less marry ...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 pm
Vrede too wrote:

I might like to ask how in hell did Ricky Fowler get to go out with, much less marry ...
:D Well sure ...

... but there are limits to even that.

Everyone was asked about Augusta National's sexism until the policy changed.
2002 membership controversy
Before that, I remember racist courses being panned.
"When you can make people believe (sheer batshittery), you can make them commit atrocities."
-- Voltaire

GoCubsGo
Vice admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Whaaaaaat!!!??

GTFO!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Vice admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

We sold our souls by taking the money and running, now we want to have our cake and eat it too.

Took less time than I figured.

Bunch of entitled assholes.

Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau among 11 LIV Golf Invitational Series players filing lawsuit against PGA Tour
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:08 pm
We sold our souls by taking the money and running, now we want to have our cake and eat it too.

Took less time than I figured.

Bunch of entitled assholes.

Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau among 11 LIV Golf Invitational Series players filing lawsuit against PGA Tour
This confuses me. Judge Vrede would rule that the private entity PGA can set any rules for entrants it wants, barring discrimination based on protected categories like race, age, etc. Maybe Phil and gang will have a case if they all convert to Islam.

I'm annoyed that the court is now going to have to pay for translating the plaintiffs' lawyers' statements from Arabic into English. ;)
-- Voltaire

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Womens' tour played today at Muirfield Scotland, beside the Firth of Forth. South African player was up 5 at the start of the round. South Korean caught up and it was tied after 18. Took 4 playoff holes to settle, with lots of good and some sorry shots. South African player managed to pull it off, though after South Korean chunked a putt.

Good golf, great scenery from the course, no Saudi drama.