Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Traveling

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:44 am
I wouldn't say you're wrong if you've tried it and don't like it. But if you're just imagining, then you might want to give it a try. I originally thought it sounded/looked disgusting. I don't even like catsup or European style mayonnaise on my fries, and generally don't care much for gravy. But the total combination of the fries, the gravy and the cheese curds works way better in a blend of flavors than you'd think. And you can always chase it with a cold Labatt Blue.
If I start with several cold Labatt Blues, then I won't care.

More seriously, I've had hashbrowns with cheese and with gravy. Never both at the same time, but it should be alright . . . at least until the quadruple bypass. I prefer country gravy with or without sausage, though. Does it ever come with white gravy?

I like fries with mayo, but most often when I've been in Europe. Here, I prefer ranch dressing. Surprisingly, Pizza Hut's lemon pepper fries are so good that I don't add anything.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Pizza Hut has fries? I had no idea. I'm so out of touch with new cuisines.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 am
"new cuisines." :D I got substituted once when a something I ordered wasn't available, never would have ordered their fries otherwise.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 am
"new cuisines." :D I got substituted once when a something I ordered wasn't available, never would have ordered their fries otherwise.
I tried to remember the last time I was in a Pizza Hut, and as far as I can recall it would have been sometime back in the 90's. I did think Pizza Hut had decent pizza, but I generally preferred local places. Then I pretty much gave up pizza except for instances when I could get authentic NY/NJ pies, which obviously hasn't worked well for me for the last four or so west coast years.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:10 pm
I tried to remember the last time I was in a Pizza Hut, and as far as I can recall it would have been sometime back in the 90's. I did think Pizza Hut had decent pizza, but I generally preferred local places. Then I pretty much gave up pizza except for instances when I could get authentic NY/NJ pies, which obviously hasn't worked well for me for the last four or so west coast years.
Meh, it's okay pizza, their deals are usually cheaper than the independents and they make it easy to order online. At GoCubsGo's insistence I'll look into the independents that deliver the next time I have the urge.

GoCubsGo, I used to like Two Guys, but then they started putting rightwing messages in their window. They moved then moved again or closed, I don't care.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo is from Chicago. What does he know from pizza? :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:58 pm
Maybe nothing, but he does know Hooterville eateries from a few years ago - stale pizzas, in other words. :P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:58 pm
Maybe nothing, but he does know Hooterville eateries from a few years ago - stale pizzas, in other words. :P
What's Pizza Hut?

Is that the hut where Ginger and Mary Ann made the pizza pies on the island?

Was it next to the Coconut Cream Pie Hut?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

All airlines should implement this policy.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/airl ... 59052.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

:lol: "had her last rights (sic) read to her..."

Well, not to make too much light out of what may be a serious health condition, I think there are some parts missing from the story. Not saying the airline couldn't have handled it better, but still. First, the plane they were boarding wasn't the one they had originally booked and "paid for seats up front." They were being accommodated on a next available flight, and could not reasonably be expected to get choice of seats. I'd also wonder how much of a Karen act the father put on before they were excused from the flight/airport. And I'd wonder why they were "forced" to spend $1,000 on a different flight, Uber and hotel to get to a place that's a four-hour drive away.

Yeah, I know - I can be a cold sumbitch, but if you want sympathy, you've got to tell the whole story.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am

Yeah, I know - I can be a cold sumbitch, but if you want sympathy, you've got to tell the whole story.
We all know we never get the whole story, but it's pretty believable. Last minute hotel near the airport without airline assistance can be pretty pricey unless you want to sleep with bedbugs.

How hard would a seat accomodation be for one person that by no fault of their own i.e. the airlines fault for special needs. The airline fucked up multiple times (again), even without the full story it was an easy fix.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:17 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am

We all know we never get the whole story, but it's pretty believable. Last minute hotel near the airport without airline assistance can be pretty pricey unless you want to sleep with bedbugs.

How hard would a seat accommodation be for one person that by no fault of their own i.e. the airlines fault for special needs. The airline fucked up multiple times (again), even without the full story it was an easy fix.
Again, I'm not saying the airline handled it well. But today's rate at the Charlotte airport Sheraton (with free shuttle) is $195 for a dual queen room. Probably most of their $1,000 was for the Delta flight. I suspect that the frustration of missing their flight and having to reschedule probably affected their request for accommodation and they may have started off a bit demanding. Things might have gone downhill from there. Just guessing. Some airline employees can be assholes, and some airlines (all airlines?) aren't very sympathetic to their customers, but I'd be surprised if they tossed people off planes and out of airports frivolously.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 am
Again, I'm not saying the airline handled it well. But today's rate at the Charlotte airport Sheraton (with free shuttle) is $195 for a dual queen room. Probably most of their $1,000 was for the Delta flight. I suspect that the frustration of missing their flight and having to reschedule probably affected their request for accommodation and they may have started off a bit demanding. Things might have gone downhill from there. Just guessing. Some airline employees can be assholes, and some airlines (all airlines?) aren't very sympathetic to their customers, but I'd be surprised if they tossed people off planes and out of airports frivolously.
I wonder if the ADA might apply. Things that might influence it include:

The family paid extra for forward seats, but did they ID ahead of time that it was for their special needs child?
Why did they miss their connection?
Did they have special needs documentation?
Were 2 seats together offered and was the family demanding 3 seats together, regardless? Just one adjacent adult should have been enough to manage a seizure.
Did the airline take any steps at all to create 2 seats together, either by involuntarily moving other passengers around or by asking for volunteers to do so? I have flown solo a ton of times and would have been happy to move given the circumstances.
Did the airline have a responsibility to try this under the "reasonable accommodation" requirements of the ADA?

These are 'rest of the story' aspects that I would be interested in learning.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 am

To be honest, I haven't flown since the pandemic. But the sense I'm getting is the airlines current attitude is "we don't care, why should we have to?" And they're right, there's no consequence. Other than not flying :wave: what are the alternatives? Total crapshoot if you're going to get to your destination on time or at all.

Checked bags? Forgetaboutit.

And this eminates from the top. The front line employees get zero support in accomodating the customer and seemingly zero consequences when they are rude or worse.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:51 pm

I wonder if the ADA might apply. Things that might influence it include:

a responsibility to try this under the "reasonable accommodation" requirements of the ADA?

These are 'rest of the story' aspects that I would be interested in learning.

It's the wild west of travel. Airlines gave been destroying $30,000 wheelchairs without consequences, leaving handicapped travelers stuck on planes. There's tons of stories.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... r-AA10yBDT

https://news.yahoo.com/disability-advoc ... p_catchall

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-62491236

More children horror stories.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/air-canada-r ... 59131.html

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I haven't flown since 97. And I have had special needs for a long time but so far I've managed to cover them pretty well. In any case, I never had a problem at an airport except one time when the Chicago airport was shut down for snow and my plane went to an airport in NY (Kennedy or LaGuardia, but I forget which). But everybody got fucked on that deal.

O Really
Admiral

I haven't flown in several - at least 4 - years and hopefully won't fly anymore. But there are a bunch of reasons why flying is miserable, some the airlines' fault and some not. The point being, though, that everybody should know that flying is miserable and the closer it is to holidays the more miserable it gets. Take crews all working their legal max, not enough flights or crews, add in uncontrollable delays for weather or something, constantly mix schedules - there's no way anybody is going to have a fun flight. Anybody flying should expect that and plan their trip the best they can to miss the worst.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:12 pm
Stuff like this doesn't help.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-r ... =flipboard
IIRC, the airlines had to be bailed out for being shut down for a week after 9/11. Then they took big $$ bailouts for the pandemic.

Now they screw their customers with impunity.

Good to be them I guess. It's a wonder more planes don't fall out of the sky.