Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:39 pm
He's too old for them to give him the job, but Tom Bergeron could take over and never miss a beat. Otherwise, I might vote for Alberto.
Do you mean Alfonso? If so, I'm not a fan. Kind of a narrow selection, all but him, Leslie and Ellen from game shows.

At 65 Vanna may be aged out of contention.
Yes except she's an icon on the show and did well when Pat was grounded. They could let Vanna be Pat and Maggie be Vanna and keep some continuity. Ellen would be awful. Did you ever see her game show?

Every night that some poor fool gets no money except the $1,000 pity prize, Lady O and I officially announce that they are "the weakest link."
It would be fun to get Jane to do it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:28 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:23 pm
Do you mean Alfonso? If so, I'm not a fan. Kind of a narrow selection, all but him, Leslie and Ellen from game shows.

At 65 Vanna may be aged out of contention.
Yes except she's an icon on the show and did well when Pat was grounded. They could let Vanna be Pat and Maggie be Vanna and keep some continuity.
That would seem fair to them, but from the producers' POV they've already got their hooks in the old farts - sorry O Reallys :P - might they want to go younger than Vanna?
Ellen would be awful. Did you ever see her game show?
Some, never got hooked, didn't think it was "awful." I don't really like any game shows.
Every night that some poor fool gets no money except the $1,000 pity prize, Lady O and I officially announce that they are "the weakest link."
It would be fun to get Jane to do it.
Fine with me, but the article you linked panned Pat for becoming too snide. Snide is what 62 year old Jane does.

Maybe they could go younger but stick with the extreme RW and untalented model - Kyle Rittenhouse. :wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I didn't really mean to imply that Ellen's game show was awful. A lot of it was very funny. I meant Ellen would be awful on Wheel.

The difference in having Jane vs. Pat is that Pat's snide is out of character for his show persona. It's a show where everybody encourages each other and gets clapped for. Lots of clapping. Jane's "Link" persona is all snide - intentionally. I'm not serious, of course. They're not going to do it and it would change the whole tone and personality of the show. It's just that a stern "You ARE the weakest link" and a finger pointing to the exit is so appropriate for some of the players.

The show is on in several other countries, and in most of them the hosts are younger, flashier, and a more rowdy audience.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:12 pm
I didn't really mean to imply that Ellen's game show was awful. A lot of it was very funny. I meant Ellen would be awful on Wheel.

Ah, I can see that. I think it would be an inexplicable step down in her career. Her game show was a direct outgrowth of the stunts and contests pulled on her talk show, so it made sense. Ellen's Game of Games lasted 4 seasons.

The difference in having Jane vs. Pat is that Pat's snide is out of character for his show persona. It's a show where everybody encourages each other and gets clapped for. Lots of clapping. Jane's "Link" persona is all snide - intentionally. I'm not serious, of course. They're not going to do it and it would change the whole tone and personality of the show. It's just that a stern "You ARE the weakest link" and a finger pointing to the exit is so appropriate for some of the players.

They could go full asshole and hire Ricky Gervais. ;)

The show is on in several other countries, and in most of them the hosts are younger, flashier, and a more rowdy audience.

I didn't know that.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:12 pm

I didn't know that.
Here ya' go: https://wheeloffortunehistory.fandom.co ... l_versions

Also, the difference in Jane (who is similar to but not as good as original) Anne is that it's clear that although their words may be sharp, there is an underlying good nature about it. The insults are a built-in part of the show, not actually very personal, and usually enjoyed by all. I don't remember exactly the instances Pat got into trouble over, but it was something like telling one of the players (after the introduction bit) that his story was the most pathetic (or something) he had ever heard. That's rude.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"The Greatest Generation" sure, but we were also complicit assholes.

The U.S. and the Holocaust
The Golden Door (Beginnings -- 1938)

Season 1, Episode 1
10:14 PM ON PBS • TV-14 • Stereo • CC

Congress reverses open borders; Hitler and the Nazis begin their persecution of German Jews, causing many to seek refuge; President Franklin D. Roosevelt is concerned but unable to coordinate a response to the crisis.
:( Without ever saying so this gives insight into Trumpism.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:07 am

Not only that, but it's clear that when it comes to a legit comparison of Trump to Hitler, that Godwin's Law isn't really applicable. There really is a close similarity - in goals, in principles, in language, in tactics, and in hate.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:29 am
Vrede too wrote:

Not only that, but it's clear that when it comes to a legit comparison of Trump to Hitler, that Godwin's Law isn't really applicable. There really is a close similarity - in goals, in principles, in language, in tactics, and in hate.
Very true, but I'm struck even more by how tolerant Americans can be of bigotry, how supportive of Nazism they were, how things we did to Blacks provided a model and excuse for Hitler, and how we officially and unofficially enabled the Holocaust.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:29 am
Vrede too wrote:

Well said
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh and his America First Committee, even worse than I knew. Ken Burns is amazing for exploring the stain of America's complicity in the Holocaust. It was known how bad it was for Jews and the Nazis first choice was to just chase them out of Europe. It was only when the rest of the world including America largely shut down Jewish emigration that the Nazis went the route of the "Final Solution". The parallels to the language used re Latino immigrants are disturbing and I can see why Burns made the stretch of comparing Jewish transports to the DerSantis/Abbott/Ducey human trafficking.

Speaking of Xtian supremacists . . .
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm
FWIW, he's got himself trending on Twitter.

I'm sure Sony and his producers have taken notice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=%22 ... cal=trends ...
TMZ:
:roll:
... The reactions are brutal ... people are saying that Pat's showing his true colors here, and some are even vowing to boycott his iconic game show because of this. One person jokingly said Pat was pictured here with Vanna Whitesupremacist -- a reference to ... well, you get it.
:lol:

It's been noted that Pat seems to be on the verge of retirement, and if true ... maybe he's just letting it all hang out in public. What this might do to his legacy is anyone's guess.
:headscratch: He's a successful gameshow host, sure, but is that really a "legacy"?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:39 am
Fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh and his America First Committee, even worse than I knew. Ken Burns is amazing for exploring the stain of America's complicity in the Holocaust. It was known how bad it was for Jews and the Nazis first choice was to just chase them out of Europe. It was only when the rest of the world including America largely shut down Jewish emigration that the Nazis went the route of the "Final Solution". The parallels to the language used re Latino immigrants are disturbing and I can see why Burns made the stretch of comparing Jewish transports to the DerSantis/Abbott/Ducey human trafficking.

Speaking of Xtian supremacists . . .
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm
FWIW, he's got himself trending on Twitter.

I'm sure Sony and his producers have taken notice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=%22 ... cal=trends ...
TMZ:
:roll:
... The reactions are brutal ... people are saying that Pat's showing his true colors here, and some are even vowing to boycott his iconic game show because of this. One person jokingly said Pat was pictured here with Vanna Whitesupremacist -- a reference to ... well, you get it.
:lol:

It's been noted that Pat seems to be on the verge of retirement, and if true ... maybe he's just letting it all hang out in public. What this might do to his legacy is anyone's guess.
:headscratch: He's a successful gameshow host, sure, but is that really a "legacy"?

Did Burns go here

confirmed the Thyssens' control, and in October 1942 the United States seized the bank under the Trading with the Enemy Act and held the assets for the duration of World War II.[8] Journalist Duncan Campbell pointed out documents showing that Prescott Bush was a director and shareholder of a number of companies involved with Thyssen. Bush was the director of the Union Banking Corporation that "represented Thyssen's US interests", continuing to work for the bank after America's entry into World War II.[8]
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:24 pm
Did Burns go here

confirmed the Thyssens' control, and in October 1942 the United States seized the bank under the Trading with the Enemy Act and held the assets for the duration of World War II.[8] Journalist Duncan Campbell pointed out documents showing that Prescott Bush was a director and shareholder of a number of companies involved with Thyssen. Bush was the director of the Union Banking Corporation that "represented Thyssen's US interests", continuing to work for the bank after America's entry into World War II.[8]
Your Wiki link, the next sentence:
I'm watching Episode 3, the Finale right now, and we've just entered 1943. If the Thyssens were mentioned I missed it. While some mention of tolerance of and support for Germany is unavoidable. Burns is laser focused on the Jews. I was going to post that Burns might not mention it unless the Thyssens were involved with the Holocaust and Prescott Bush knew it. Then, I found this:
Fritz Thyssen: Nazi Germany

... He accepted the anti-Jewish legislation in pre-war Nazi Germany that excluded Jews from business and professional life, and dismissed his Jewish employees. But as a Catholic, he objected to the increasing Nazi persecution of the Catholic Church in Germany, which gathered pace after 1935: in 1937 he sent a letter to Hitler, protesting at the persecution of Christians in Germany. The breaking point for Thyssen was the violent pogrom against the Jews in November 1938, known as Kristallnacht, which caused him to resign from the Prussian Council of State. By 1939 he was also bitterly criticising Nazi economic policies, which focused on rearmament in preparation for war.

World War II

On 1 September 1939, the invasion of Poland marked the commencement of World War II. Thyssen sent Hermann Göring a telegram saying he was opposed to the war, shortly after arriving in Switzerland with his family. He was expelled from the Nazi Party and the Reichstag, and his company was nationalised. The company was returned to other members of the Thyssen family several years after the war.

In 1940, Thyssen took refuge and moved to France, intending to emigrate to Argentina, but was caught up in the German invasion of France and the Low Countries while he was visiting his ill mother in Belgium. He was arrested by Vichy France and sent back to Germany, where he was confined, first in a sanatorium near Berlin, then from 1943 in Sachsenhausen concentration camp. His wife Amelie did not escape to Argentina and spent the whole war in the concentration camp with her husband.

In February 1945, Thyssen was sent to Dachau concentration camp. He was comparatively well-treated and transferred to Tyrol in late-April 1945 together with other prominent inmates, where the SS left the prisoners behind. He was liberated by the 42nd Infantry Division & 45th Infantry Division on 5 May 1945.
Did the Shrubbery profit from the Nazis? Probably. Did they do so as witting participants in the Holocaust? Probably not, if Wiki is accurate.

Did I say - Fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh!?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ken Burns wraps up with a powerful vignette tying the Holocaust to Dylann Roof, Charlottesville, the synagogue massacre, Former PINO, Islamophobia, The Wall and J6. It's a gut punch to America . . . if we're paying attention.

Oh yeah, fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh AND these modern Nazis!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Did the Shrubbery profit from the Nazis? Probably. Did they do so as witting participants in the Holocaust? Probably not, if Wiki is accurate.

Did I say - Fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh!?
Money doesn't usually care, or even look at the horrors it fosters.
And when exposed and punished, never forgets. I think this best explains w bush and jeb's hate for anything New Deal related. No one ever speculates, but I've long thought that that sour looking, better than the masses, 1%er Barbara was humiliated when her father lost his bank because he was caught and exposed for working with the nazis during the war.
FDR threatened these Walker and Bush types with consequences if they refused to support his 94% top tier income tax and other New Deal legislation.
Barbara never forgot her father's humiliation. Barbara instilled her hate and vengeance in her children at the breakfast table, then sat back and watched.
Her involvement in her children's hate for New Deal legislation may be my own personal conspiracy theory, but Walker and Bush did lose their bank and FDR did hold their crimes against them in exchange for his legislation. HW wasn't around the youngster shrubbery, but mom was. She's the unseen force behind w and jeb.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:07 am
... Oh yeah, fuck Nazi Charles Lindbergh AND these modern Nazis!
Otoh, right now:
Norman Lear: 100 Years of Music and Laughter
New

9:00 PM ON ABC • 2 hours • TV-PG • Stereo • CC

Honoring the life and legacy of the remarkable storyteller, activist and philanthropist Norman Lear; featuring an impressive lineup of celebrity guests and musical performances to celebrate his 100th birthday.
:-|| :-|| :-||

90 year old Rita Moreno is doing a tribute at the moment. :shock:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:25 pm
SNL season premier - Meh, the cold open critical "Manningcast" was prescient, including about the "Manningcast" :( . I even thought Weekend Update was lame, which never happens. I changed the channel to a "new" Magnum P.I. rerun.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:52 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
SNL season premier - Meh, the cold open critical "Manningcast" was prescient, including about the "Manningcast" :( . I even thought Weekend Update was lame, which never happens. I changed the channel to a "new" Magnum P.I. rerun.
Was watching Top Gun Maverick, totally forgot.

The flying scenes are real...

And they're spectacular!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Cold open was pretty good.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 am
Vrede too wrote:
Cold open was pretty good.

Agree to disagree, but you're more of a fan of the real Manningcast than I am, so maybe there was more in it for you to relate to.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:23 am

Agree to disagree, but you're more of a fan of the real Manningcast than I am, so maybe there was more in it for you to relate to.
Thought they nailed the essence of Manningcast which was kinda the thrust of the open, but the talking heads are on your side.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/snl-kicks ... pen-sketch

Bummed that Alex Moffit left also. Who plays Eric?
(Who played Eli?)